Greensprings

Greensprings VS. Powhatan

Oct 24, 2006

We are considering purchasing a timeshare at one of these two resorts and would like to know if anyone has experience at both of them to provide a comparison. I am leaning towards Greensprings as I have been to Powhatan before and found it lacking in some respects for my taste. Greensprings from the reviews, the fact that it is only ten years old, and the pictures looks like a little more refined resort. Any input?

Thanks, John

John T.
Nov 03, 2006

johnt248 wrote:
We are considering purchasing a timeshare at one of these two resorts and would like to know if anyone has experience at both of them to provide a comparison. I am leaning towards Greensprings as I have been to Powhatan before and found it lacking in some respects for my taste. Greensprings from the reviews, the fact that it is only ten years old, and the pictures looks like a little more refined resort. Any input?

Thanks, John

Hi John - My family has stayed at both resorts for years and 3 years ago we bought a resale at Greensprings. The grounds at Powhatan are lovely but the decor is too casual for me. It seems that the management doesn't care as much as that at Greensprings. We love this resort but only liked Powhatan. If you are lucky enough to get your units right on a tee for the National Golf course - you will have beautiful views to wake up to and to enjoy your patio or balcony from. We were lucky enough to get a great priced resale for a prime summer week right from these listings on Redweek - keep your eyes open and do some negotiating!!!! We rent one unit and stay in the other year after year - the Williamsburg area is a place our family never gets bored with. Good luck!!!!

Janet P.
Nov 05, 2006

palmtre2 wrote:
johnt248 wrote:

Thanks, John

Hi John - My family has stayed at both resorts for years and 3 years ago we bought a resale at Greensprings. The grounds at Powhatan are lovely but the decor is too casual for me. It seems that the management doesn't care as much as that at Greensprings. We love this resort but only liked Powhatan. If you are lucky enough to get your units right on a tee for the National Golf course - you will have beautiful views to wake up to and to enjoy your patio or balcony from. We were lucky enough to get a great priced resale for a prime summer week right from these listings on Redweek - keep your eyes open and do some negotiating!!!! We rent one unit and stay in the other year after year - the Williamsburg area is a place our family never gets bored with. Good luck!!!!

Thanks for your input. I am thinking along many of the same lines you are talking about and have been looking at the Redweek ads and have seen some good deals already.

Thanks, John

John T.
Nov 22, 2006

Hey John

I agree with palmtre 100%. You definately want to purchase at Greensprings. I have also stayed at both resorts and found Greensprings to be far superior. Greensprings also will get you much better trading power if you do decide to work through an exchange company. I have already had RCI contact me wanting to know if I planned on using or trading my '07 week.

Both resorts have roughly the same annual maint. fees; Greensprings however, is much more well kept and generally a more upscale resort. But as you would expect the units do cost a bit more. Good places to look for resales include ebay and bidshares. I bought my four bdrm. week 16 for $2,600 on bidshares. An unbelievable deal!

Good luck. Scott

Scott J.
Feb 02, 2007

johnt248 wrote:

Thanks, John

I HAVE STAYED AT BOTH OF THESE RESORTS MANY TIMES AND FAR PREFER GRNSPRGS. THE UNITS ARE LARGER AND BETTER MAINTAINED. THE FACILITIES ARE MORE RELAXED. THERE IS ADEQUATE PARKING AT GRNSPRGS BUT NOT A POWHATAN. GRNSPRGS FEELS ALMOST LIKE HOME TO ME. I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER QUESTIONS YOU MIGHT HAVE. E-MAIL ME BACK. BUZ JEWELL

Gary J.
Feb 20, 2007

Hello, Three of us have scheduled a vacation at Powhatan after seeing it on the web. It looked beautiful, however, we then noticed the reviews and that very few of them were favorable. That was not the case when we looked into Greensprings. We are coming from Va, La, and points in-between. We are looking for something close to whats advertised on their websites, but don't want to be mislead and have a crappy stay. We have requested a renovated room, and offered a review after our stay - also expressed interested in a timeshare. Any information would be appreciated. Also, we wonder if we will be able to switch resorts without a problem if we chose to (prior to the vacation, of course)

Anna C.
Feb 26, 2007

I don't think you'll have a crappy stay at Powhatan - it was smart of you to ask for a newly renovated room however. Powhatan is still a lovely resort, it's just a little older and more casual than Greensprings. I do have to say that the grounds at Powhatan are beautiful, but they both have the same amenities and room sizes. If you change your mind however, my Greensprings units are available!!!!!

Janet P.
Jun 06, 2007

I have been to both Resorts and to say which is best depends what you are looking for. Things that Greensprings offers is it is a newer more "upscale" resort with very nicely maintained grounds that sits on a golf course. On the other hand Powhatan also offers very nicely landscaped grounds, but it also has indoor handball courts, a restaurant on premises (which is a very nice feature) and fishing available in their lake. I would not hesitate to stay at either resort and would expect to have a great time at either one.

Ken J.

Last edited by kenj25 on Jun 06, 2007 08:18 AM

Aug 19, 2007

I have been to both Resorts many times as a Club Sun member. I prefer Powhatan's grounds and the Manor house. The two bedroom lockout units provide plenty of space and I enjoy using the large jacuzzi.

Timeshare U.
May 20, 2008

If these properties are owned by the same company, do you have priviledges to use the guest facilities at the resort you are not staying at? Jewel

Jewel Y.
Feb 15, 2010

John, I have owned week 26 at Greensprings since pre-construction, I stayed at Powhatan many times with my extended family and only last year did I consider buying there since I like the refurbishment that has taken place. I bought two four bedroom unit for week 27 July 4th and one week 28 all refurbished. I normally rent out the bottom floor but sometimes both units and go to the river. I rent four bedroom unit at Greensprings during the summe for $1,550.00 just $300.00 more than the fixed week maint. fee and the year you do not want to go to Williamsburg you are not required to pay the maint. fee. Is it worth owning? If you purchase enough Diamond points you get upgrades. Bill

William f. G.

Last edited by marty8084 on Feb 15, 2010 07:22 PM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.