Hono Koa Resort

Have you stayed at Hono Koa?

Oct 27, 2006

Have you stayed at Hono Koa? I have a chance to rent a unit and wondered how the resort ranks. Were you able to use facilities at Sands next door? How close is the beach? Photos make it look like the beach is right in front. Thanks for any info before I book it. Pat

Pat F.
Nov 07, 2006

We have stayed at Hona Koa, and yes, the beach is really that close! The koa units have wrap around decks and beautiful ocean front views from living/dining room and the master bedroom. We love staying here almost every year. candy

Ray & Candy P.
Nov 13, 2006

We own a Koa unit at the ocean end of the building. There is no beach at the resort. There is a 10 ft. high seawall and a sundeck that straddles the wall. There is a pool and jacuzzi adjacent to the building. The closest beach is a couple of hundred yards south at a nearby county park. There a re plenty of nice beaches around the island to visit. The Sands is about a mile up the the lower road. Hono Koa is a quiet resort mixed in with condo developments and other small resorts. The units have recently been renovated from their 70's look. We're going there in March. Feel free to ask any other questions.

David H.
Nov 13, 2006

Some of the forum people have said there is a beach very close. I guess 100 yds or so is close enough. We want to be close enough to take a walk in the morning or evening without having to always get in the car. You must like it if you own. Thanks and any other info is appreciated. I'm still waiting for owner to send me rental agreement but it looks good for Sept next yr.

Pat F.
Nov 16, 2006

patf48 wrote:
Have you stayed at Hono Koa? I have a chance to rent a unit and wondered how the resort ranks. Were you able to use facilities at Sands next door? How close is the beach? Photos make it look like the beach is right in front. Thanks for any info before I book it. Pat
Yes, it is beach front, and the Koa units are in the front. we love it there and yes, you can use the facilities at the sands.

Ray & Candy P.
Feb 25, 2007

It'a little confusing regarding beach front. Some of the replys say the resort is close enough to Sands of Kahana to walk and then you are on the beach and another says Sands is a mile away. Still another says there's a county park beach within walking distance. Can anyone tell me, is there sandy beach close enough to walk to and enjoy without having to drive every time? We are going 9/29-10/6 and hopefully water is warm enough to spend lots of time in it. We are from AZ so water temp must be warm! Thanks for your time. Pat

Pat F.
Feb 25, 2007

There is a local park about a 1/4 mile south of the resort It does have a beach, restrooms, a set of swings and charcoal grills. It's within easy walking distance. When you come from the airport, through Lahaina, and turn onto the lower rd to go to the resort, you will pass the park on your way there. That will give you a good idea as to distance. The Sands is a mile north of the resort. We'll be at Hono Koa 2 weeks from now.

David H.
Feb 25, 2007

Hona Koa has different types of units in the building and the KOA units are ocean front with a breathtaking views from the all glass/patio doors and wrap around decks. The ocean is approx. 75 feet from the units. Everything is within walking distance. Sands of Kahana is close, about 10 blocks. There is a local park about 4 blocks away and is very nice. The Koa units are beautiful! We have stayed at many places in Maui and I prefer the KOA units at Hona Koa. Candy

Ray & Candy P.

Last edited by marty8084 on Feb 25, 2007 04:37 PM

Apr 27, 2007

Are the units air-conditioned? We are looking to be there the first week of July and nearly rented a unit at a nearby complex only to find out that it did not have air-conditioning.

Thanks. David

David H.
Apr 27, 2007

Hono Koa is not air conditioned. They have paddle fans in each room and depend on the trade winds for cooling.

David H.
May 02, 2007

We stayed at the Hono Koa for a week this past November. It was SOOOO beautiful!! We had a KOA unit which are the 4 units directly on the ocean! The unit was huge with granite countertops and a beautifully decorated living room and a very big kitchen with an island. It also has a wrap around deck right on the ocean! These KOA units are amazing! You can whale watch right from the deck! Yes, yes, yes, we are going back and we will stay here again. We stayed a couple other places and weren't happy at all with them. We wanted the Hono Koa back!!!

Kristi K.
May 02, 2007

In regards to the air conditioning. We stayed there and were a little worried about not having air. It was 92 but there was always a beautiful breeze coming off the ocean.....we were in a KOA unit and didn't ever get hot. There are great tradewinds so you really don't need air there! It was a gorgeous place and I highly recommend it!

Kristi K.
May 27, 2007

Regarding the beach... Hono Koa is an ocean front complex but a beach is not always present. Some years it is present and other times it is not. It depends on the ocean currents at a particular time. There is a stairway leading down from the ocean front deck through the seawall to the water. It is open most of the year. Often there is enough sand to enter the water easily. Snorkeling offshore is good. There are lots of Sea Turtles in the area. Surfers also like to ride the waves out front. Access to North Kaanapali Beach is about a mile walk to the south. Sands of Kahana (with its beach) is about a mile walk to the north. The Honokawai Beach Park is small but nice for children. It is an easy walk from Hono Koa.

Hope this helps.. Diane

Diane N.
May 28, 2007

david5319 wrote:
Are the units air-conditioned? We are looking to be there the first week of July and nearly rented a unit at a nearby complex only to find out that it did not have air-conditioning.

Thanks. David

No...The units are not air conditioned. We just returned from Hono Koa. Love the place, even when it is a little warm.

M. S.
Jun 26, 2007

We are booked to saty at Hono Koa at teh end of July. We will be traveling with 3 teenagers.Do you think they will enjoy it at Hono KOa?

Michelle M.
Jun 26, 2007

When my daughter was a teenager, she had a great time there. They have a pool and jacuzzi her and her friends spent hours at. Most people use the resort as a base to explore the rest of the island. There is too much to see just to hang around the resort.

David H.
Jun 27, 2007

Besides the pool and jacuzzi, you can swim or snorkel behind the complex. That is if the waves aren't big at the time. We were there in May, and the tide was extremely low (even during high tide) exposing a lot of beach. It provided great swimming and snorkeling. Not many people hang around the complex all day, therefore, often you are the only one in the pool. There is a park and beach down the road that is within walking distance.

M. S.

Last edited by mlshells on Jul 04, 2007 07:29 PM

Oct 27, 2011

We are on Maui now looking at timeshares all over the island. We are only looking for oceanfront units with GREAT ocean views (unlike some of the oceanfront units that have poor ocean views). We'd like to acquire four weeks.

How well do these units trade?

We have heard that the insite management is not so great. Can someone who owns there and goes often comment on the onsite management, please?

Does anyone know how Consolidated's bankruptcy has impacted Hono Koa?

How smooth is it to book your usuage each year?

How far in advance can you book?

Is it difficult to book the time you want as an owner?

Do owners of multipule weeks get to book earlier than owners of only one unit?

Thank you in advance for any information and/or insight you can provide.

John B.

Last edited by johnb1919 on Oct 27, 2011 07:20 PM

Dec 13, 2011

We have own a Hala unit , even yrs since 2000. Working with Consolidated to book is very easy. Onsite management is very attentive to problems and take pride in their work. Bankruptcy hasn't impacted us so far??? Like other timeshare we own, you can only book 12 months in advance and your maintenance fees must be paid prior to your reservation.

All Hawaii properties trade easily with high power.

Diane Burns

Robert B.

Last edited by marty8084 on Dec 14, 2011 12:20 AM

Dec 13, 2011

The resort is nice and quiet but has a very limited beach which is only accessable in the summertime. There is a sundeck that sits atop a seawall approx 10 ft above the ocean. At high tide, the ocean is up against the seawall. The units are very nice, (we own there) 2 bdr. The master has a king bed and the second has 2 twins. There is a Queen sleeper sofa in the living area. I've never used the facilities at the Sands at it is a mile up the road, not next door. Any other questions I can answer?

David H.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.