Coral Reef Beach Resort

Way Overrated!

Jan 30, 2007

Unless they've cleaned it up in the last few years I wouldn't recommend it. When we went there the place was in disrepair, unruly people in the hallways, the pool was nasty with moldy rocks; all in all, generally dingy and a big let down. The beach was nice and other hotel/resorts in the area were much more upscale.

Betsy S.
Sep 05, 2007

You're talking about the old hotel at the back that has been closed for quite a while now and is being (or has already been) torn down. It is totally severed from the Coral Reef timeshare property, which is well maintained and has prime beach views. Now that the nearby Bongos beach bar is gone too, Coral Reef is a beautiful family resort again. The pics posted on this site don't do it justice; when we go again in December, I will take some new photos and post them!

Jean N.
Mar 14, 2008

jean126 wrote:
You're talking about the old hotel at the back that has been closed for quite a while now and is being (or has already been) torn down. It is totally severed from the Coral Reef timeshare property, which is well maintained and has prime beach views. Now that the nearby Bongos beach bar is gone too, Coral Reef is a beautiful family resort again. The pics posted on this site don't do it justice; when we go again in December, I will take some new photos and post them!

Hi, I haven't been there recently but am considering it. You said you were going to go last December. Did you? If so, did you post pictures? I would like an honest assessment of the facility. Thanks.

Jerry D.
Mar 14, 2008

jerryd58 wrote:
jean126 wrote:

Hi, I haven't been there recently but am considering it. You said you were going to go last December. Did you? If so, did you post pictures? I would like an honest assessment of the facility. Thanks.

Jean N.
Mar 14, 2008

Hi Jerry We went in December and there's good news and bad news. The timeshare part is right on the beach and is separated from the old hotel behind it that had the same name. The old hotel part is still there, but closed, and will be torn down. It has been sold and the new owners are planning to put in condos when they get zoning approval. When you arrive, you have to drive in from Gulf Blvd right by the hotel and arond the side it to get to the timeshare resort, located behind it on the beach...don't be put off by the looks of the closed up hotel which looks abandoned. Now the parking is up by the beach near where Bongos was (also closed) and the office is a temporary building next to the pool between the 1 BR and 2 BR building.

When we were there in Dec over Christmas and New Years, we felt comfortable, and met lots of nice people who were owners or on trades, and a few rentals. The building wasn't full during the week. Without Bongos, the resort was very peaceful and quiet. The meandering landscaped pool with the big rocks is still there, and looks OK, but isn't used. The timeshare building is well maintained ; they had just finished some exterior painting when we were there. The pool and hot tub are well maintained and are exlusive to the timeshare; they are located at the side of timeshare building just up from the beach. There are lots of housekeeping and maintenance people around, and they were all very pleasant and helpful with anything we wanted. The decor is the same as it was... Florida peach and green and rattan..... it looks like they just replace things that wear out, but haven't done a total redecorate. The unit was in good shape; there was nothing that looked worn in ours (except the chrome on the bathtub tap, but the tub was clean) and when a lightbulb burned out, it was replaced immediately. There are a few planned activities, mostly for kids or family oriented; we were out on the beach or elsewhere so can't make any comments.

In honesty, its not a brand new, super luxurious resort, but the units are bright, comfortable, spacious and well maintained, the pool is fine, the staff are helpful, there's free laundry facilities, and you can't beat the location right on the beach and close to everything you need.

We've traded to several Florida resorts, and these are the most spacious and brightest units at a beachfront resort. The big resorts with the fabulous decor and facilities are the newer ones and seem to be inland, like in the Orlando area or Weston.

Sorry I totally forgot to take pics while I was there. Hope you have a good vacation!

Jean N.
Mar 14, 2008

jean126 wrote:
Hi Jerry We went in December and there's good news and bad news. The timeshare part is right on the beach and is separated from the old hotel behind it that had the same name. The old hotel part is still there, but closed, and will be torn down. It has been sold and the new owners are planning to put in condos when they get zoning approval. When you arrive, you have to drive in from Gulf Blvd right by the hotel and arond the side it to get to the timeshare resort, located behind it on the beach...don't be put off by the looks of the closed up hotel which looks abandoned. Now the parking is up by the beach near where Bongos was (also closed) and the office is a temporary building next to the pool between the 1 BR and 2 BR building.

When we were there in Dec over Christmas and New Years, we felt comfortable, and met lots of nice people who were owners or on trades, and a few rentals. The building wasn't full during the week. Without Bongos, the resort was very peaceful and quiet. The meandering landscaped pool with the big rocks is still there, and looks OK, but isn't used. The timeshare building is well maintained ; they had just finished some exterior painting when we were there. The pool and hot tub are well maintained and are exlusive to the timeshare; they are located at the side of timeshare building just up from the beach. There are lots of housekeeping and maintenance people around, and they were all very pleasant and helpful with anything we wanted. The decor is the same as it was... Florida peach and green and rattan..... it looks like they just replace things that wear out, but haven't done a total redecorate. The unit was in good shape; there was nothing that looked worn in ours (except the chrome on the bathtub tap, but the tub was clean) and when a lightbulb burned out, it was replaced immediately. There are a few planned activities, mostly for kids or family oriented; we were out on the beach or elsewhere so can't make any comments.

In honesty, its not a brand new, super luxurious resort, but the units are bright, comfortable, spacious and well maintained, the pool is fine, the staff are helpful, there's free laundry facilities, and you can't beat the location right on the beach and close to everything you need.

We've traded to several Florida resorts, and these are the most spacious and brightest units at a beachfront resort. The big resorts with the fabulous decor and facilities are the newer ones and seem to be inland, like in the Orlando area or Weston.

Sorry I totally forgot to take pics while I was there. Hope you have a good vacation!

Thank you for your help!

Jerry D.
Jan 23, 2016

Everything has changed. The old motel is gone. The old parking lot is gone. New parking lot in. All units have been renovated and upgraded with granite counter tops. Pools are being renovated now, in early 2016. This is an older resort, but has been upgraded substantially. If you're looking for a good value on the beach, this is it. This is not a five star hotel, but has nice, efficient and upgraded rooms with full kitchens. There are no private balconies, but great ocean views from every room. Beach bars and restaurants available next door and up and down the beach. Excellent restaurants right across the street. And don't forget the beach directly in front of the Coral Reef has been voted one of the top ten in the US. We go to the Coral Reef almost every year and it keeps getting better and better.

Curt G.
Apr 05, 2016

The beach near Florida is awesome place to visit you must have gone to wrong resort there are awesome resort available .Perfect Place For Vacation.

Jack S.
Apr 06, 2016

It has been totally renovated. Pink motel gone. Units all refurbished with granite counters. Pools and decks totally renovated.

Curt G.
Feb 15, 2017

Do they have a Sales Office for timeshare sales? I'm going to be in the area in April and seriously wanting to buy a timeshare week in this part of Florida. What is the high floating season like for scheduling a week? A year in advance? Less? Do they have fixed weeks for sale?

Thanks, Marie

Susan W.
Feb 15, 2017

They have an on sight sales office and you can check units for sale on the Coral Reef website. You can also check units for sale by owner on Red Week.. There is one listed on Red Week right now for purchase.

Curt G.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.