Nov 05, 2008

daves250 wrote:
I may be over simplifying things, but how hard is it for a resort to change its allegience from RCI to Interval? A simple vote by the board of directors? I know some are affiliated with both, if this is easy to do, why aren't more doing it? I know in the beginning of my time-share odyssey, I was kind of jealous of RCI members, their exchange book seemed twice the size, more choices, better company I thought. Only in recent times does it look like I might be better off with Interval. I don't know what's involved in associating with one trading company or another, or both, but I certainly would want my resort to look at other options if I wasn't happy with one company. I wonder what people do who have a choice...RCI, II, both, or neither.

It's my understanding that the affiliation starts with the developer and carries on via the HOA. If the resort is sold out, the HOA is then in charge and if a vast majority of owners want to change affiliation (from RCI to II), then the paperwork and voting should begin by the HOA membership (upon approval by II.)

However II (Interval International) is much more picky concerning the resorts they affiliate with than RCI. They seem to have higher quality resorts than many in RCI's catalog.

We belonged to both RCI and II when we were timesharing and we received everything we wanted in exchanges, BUT we requested anywhere from 9 months to a year in advance with BOTH exchange companies.

I think the problem with many exchangers is they wait until the last minute to request, especially hard to get exchanges, and then they're disappointed when they don't get what they want and blame the exchange companies.

You have to understand that 90% of exchangers request the best and most sought after resorts/locations/times so somebody's got to be left out in the cold.

Lesson learned ...... deposit and request early on.

R P.
Nov 07, 2008

jayjay has stated in relevant quoted part: >>...when we were timesharing .... we received everything we wanted in exchanges, BUT we requested anywhere from 9 months to a year in advance with BOTH exchange companies.

I think the problem with many exchangers is they wait until the last minute to request, especially hard to get exchanges, and then they're disappointed when they don't get what they want and blame the exchange companies. << ==============================================

I must respectfully but strongly disagree a bit here. As I have expressed in specific, itemized detail in several recent posts, I believe that the experiences and rules of "yesteryear" are now mostly obsolete and, in large measure, no longer particularly relevant or applicable. The entire exchange game is just completely and entirely different today than it was just a very few years ago, with deposits now going in assorted new and unprecedented directions (instead of actually becoming available for "exchange").

Reading through the posts of long-time exchangers on other timeshare sites (primarily TUG) clearly and repeatedly reveals that for the most part, "all bets are off" in the new exchange game of today, at least as compared to the practices and results of "yesteryear". These reports of recent personal experiences are by seasoned and knowledgeable timeshare owners who are comparing the exact same deposits and the exact same advance deposit time frames --- but yet are finding and reporting that, today, those exact same actions now yield entirely different and previously unprecedented results (or, more accurately stated, now do NOT any longer yield successful results, as they once did).

I DO agree with ONE point you made, however. It is certainly true (and it will likely always be so) that 90% of those hopeful people "depositing for exchange" are all basically seeking the same 10% of prime weeks. That math is always and inevitably going to yield considerable disappointement for many (maybe most) people; a situation only worsened and exacerbated by the radical changes in the practices and policies of the "big two" exchange companies in recent years.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Nov 07, 2008 07:01 AM

Apr 10, 2009

I agree with several points, good and bad. The landscape is changing, not for the betterment of us owners BUT... (someone asked for specifics)

1. Deposit at least year in advance 2. Own High quality resorts in demanded locations 3. Request early (14 mo +) 4. Use the website and place ongoing searches. (Rmember my ongoing search means as soon as the deposit occurs I get it, thus the online pool and the phone people never see it!) 5. Be flexible with resort selection and time frames. (more weeks and resorts) 6. School vacation and holiday times are VERY HARD to get! Many or most owners use or rent highly desirable weeks and NEVER deposit them. 7. Buy where you want to go and never pay a exchange fee or membership fee. 8. Don't expect to trade a '70's Buick for a new Ferrari, it ain't going to happen. 9. If you own less than red time, don't expect red time exchanges. Those people paid more for a reason! 10. Gold Crown doesn't mean that much. ALWAYS do your own due diligence when exchanging. Check out the resort on reviews here, tripadvisor.com, etc. and make an informed decision. 11. Remember most owners can or will deposit: a. one year in advance (so don't think you will get the exchange at 18mo., sometimes happens, but rare) b. when they get their maintenance fee bill (often at the end of the year) and decide they are not going to their home resort. (Thus, my ongoing requests are always in MINIMUM 12-14 months before travel and even MORE if the end of the year is approaching) 12. If the person you talk to at RCI seems like a bozo HANG UP and call back, even immediately, and talk to someone else. (Sometimes, when I don't use the web site, I go through 3 or 4 reps before I get someone who knows more than I do and can get my questions answered.)

I have used the above to exchange 1BR lockoff portions to Hawaii Gold Crown 2BR (4 times), to beach front GC/SC 3BR (2 x), to Hilton GC 3BR Orlando, SoCal costal 2BR GC (twice), etc. and often in prime season, although I try to avoid them when I can. (Yes folks I got those and others with 1BR deposits!)

Your exchange power (and thus exchanges available) is determined by: 1. resort reviews (all quality measures considered: rating (stars, crowns etc), condition, amenities, cleanliness, activities, etc) 2. demand and supply (too much supply in Orlando, even for the demand) 3. season (see supply and demand) 4. SIZE (like for like) (Despite the above examples, I think size upgrades are the exception for most) 5. deposit time - earlier is better, especially with RCI (the 12 month cutoff seems to be VERY significant) 6. A few other factors no one will reveal (Nor will they reveal the relative weighting of any factors - so to keep us guessing- I mean... it is proprietary!)

Those are the specifics that I can provide that let me be happy with RCI. Yes, I am ticked about the skimming off for rentals and other things, but that is why I filled out the claim form for the class action settlement against RCI and am going to get the benefits from that too! I also use II the same way and have been happy with them too! (both have their strengths)

Good Luck in all your exchanges.

Ron

Ron D.
Apr 10, 2009

my wife and l own 3 timeshares in different locales,so you would think that with volumn you would have some extra trading leverage, not quite true. #l l reserved the memorial day weekend on january 19 in point arena,california 2 weeks in cabo san lucas,mexico in july, reserved l0/30/08. it is no deep dark secret that to get what you really desire you have to really plan ahead.

Charles K.
Apr 10, 2009

charles671 wrote:
my wife and l own 3 timeshares in different locales,so you would think that with volumn you would have some extra trading leverage, not quite true. #l l reserved the memorial day weekend on january 19 in point arena,california 2 weeks in cabo san lucas,mexico in july, reserved l0/30/08. it is no deep dark secret that to get what you really desire you have to really plan ahead.

With the exchange companies, it doesn't matter how many timeshares you own. We owned 9 weeks once .... the power of trading is all about supply and demand of the resort and the time owned. And, you're correct that the earlier you plan the better your chances of getting what you want in an exchange.

R P.
Apr 12, 2009

Some really good posts above! Nice to read good sense and useful logic. MD

Mary D.
May 05, 2009

RCI now outsources customer service to Philipines, I just deposited my week the women said i had to deposit in order to check anything for me after I deposited, every exchange i asked if there was any opening for at anytime she said no. She didnt have a good idea of US geography. I wish i would of deposited into interval, I have used both interval and RCI, I think Interval has finally beat RCI the outsourcing of jobs from the US to Philipines might be the big downslide of RCI competing with Interval.

Susan M.

Last edited by susanm261 on May 05, 2009 06:39 PM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.