Timeshare Companies

Interval International /

Jan 10, 2008

divad is absolutely correct in that trade power (what you own) is key to getting the most sought after locations PLUS depositing very early and performing an ongoing search.

R P.
Jan 14, 2008

waltk wrote:
What the latest opinion on Interval International? What problems are members having using there services?
I've always traded my weeks thru II and have been totally happy- always! I had to deposit in Sept. to get a unit in Scottsdale in mid-Feb, but other than that one early request, I love them! I'm maybe going to try RCI this year as I bought a SVC timeshare and they use the RCI system. I'll see how it compares.

Nan H.
Jan 15, 2008

nanh9 wrote:
waltk wrote:
What the latest opinion on Interval International? What problems are members having using there services?
I've always traded my weeks thru II and have been totally happy- always! I had to deposit in Sept. to get a unit in Scottsdale in mid-Feb, but other than that one early request, I love them! I'm maybe going to try RCI this year as I bought a SVC timeshare and they use the RCI system. I'll see how it compares.
============== Is the unit a part of the RCI Points program,or is it a traditional RCI week resort? If the SVC trades with RCI Points, then you will find the system more flexible (assuming you bought a package with enough points to fit your needs). You can see all that's available and the number of points required. If you do not have enough points, there are various ways to obtain more. If your current TS is an RCI weeks resort then you can deposit that TS into the RCI system and get addtional points. However, if you want to travel to a high demand area, be sure sure to put in your request at the beginning of the 10 month window for reservations. Gooe Luck Mike

Mike N.
Jan 15, 2008

mike1536 wrote:
nanh9 wrote:
waltk wrote:
============== Is the unit a part of the RCI Points program,or is it a traditional RCI week resort? If the SVC trades with RCI Points, then you will find the system more flexible (assuming you bought a package with enough points to fit your needs). You can see all that's available and the number of points required. If you do not have enough points, there are various ways to obtain more. If your current TS is an RCI weeks resort then you can deposit that TS into the RCI system and get addtional points. However, if you want to travel to a high demand area, be sure sure to put in your request at the beginning of the 10 month window for reservations. Gooe Luck Mike

My SVC timeshare is points, and my other one is traditional weeks (floating, red). I only bought enough points with SVC to get into the program. I can use my traditional time share thru SVC and RCI on either a points or week system. I'm still trying to figure it all out, but I think that if I convert my traditional TS into RCI points I loose trading power. I get 26,000 RCI points for it. If I want to book time in Scottsdale for mid Feb 2009 (a very busy time there) I might not have enough points to get a week. If I go thru II there is no problem getting into a TS providing I book early enough. What I'm not sure about is if I book thru RCI using the weekly system. I should be able to trade the week but only if they have one available. After reading a lot of these forums I'm a bit scared that they may not have availability even if I deposit it at the beginning of the 10 month period.

I only bought 1750 SVC points and am just starting to use them. So far I really like the flexibility it gives me. I'm doing 4 days in Vegas and 3 days in Scottsdale next month and had to borrow a few points from next year to do it, but that was ok. When I bought the timeshare I figured I'd buy the minimum to get into the points program and then buy a resale if I wanted more points. I'm thinking of possibly selling my traditonal TS and using that money to buy a resale SVC points time share. I have noticed that any TS that have a points system retain their value better than the traditional timeshares.

Nan H.
Jan 15, 2008

nanh9 wrote:
mike1536 wrote:
nanh9 wrote:
waltk wrote:

My SVC timeshare is points, and my other one is traditional weeks (floating, red). I only bought enough points with SVC to get into the program. I can use my traditional time share thru SVC and RCI on either a points or week system. I'm still trying to figure it all out, but I think that if I convert my traditional TS into RCI points I loose trading power. I get 26,000 RCI points for it. If I want to book time in Scottsdale for mid Feb 2009 (a very busy time there) I might not have enough points to get a week. If I go thru II there is no problem getting into a TS providing I book early enough. What I'm not sure about is if I book thru RCI using the weekly system. I should be able to trade the week but only if they have one available. After reading a lot of these forums I'm a bit scared that they may not have availability even if I deposit it at the beginning of the 10 month period.

I only bought 1750 SVC points and am just starting to use them. So far I really like the flexibility it gives me. I'm doing 4 days in Vegas and 3 days in Scottsdale next month and had to borrow a few points from next year to do it, but that was ok. When I bought the timeshare I figured I'd buy the minimum to get into the points program and then buy a resale if I wanted more points. I'm thinking of possibly selling my traditonal TS and using that money to buy a resale SVC points time share. I have noticed that any TS that have a points system retain their value better than the traditional timeshares.

============ If your current tradition TS trades well on II, I'd stick with that unless you want the flexibility of shorter vacations. If you convert your traditional week to RCI Points you can convert it on a year-by-year "as needed" basis (unless the entire resort is converting to Points, then it is a "do all or nothing" proposition). I do not know how your 1750 SVC points translates into an RCI exchange, but 26,000 RCI Points from your TS will get you a 1 BR or studio at many resorts, though probably not a Gold Crown Resort or places like Hawaii. Check resort reviews carefully as RCI "standard" resorts are sometimes nothing more than converted motels or are in dire need of an upgrade. Mike

Mike N.

Last edited by mike1536 on Jan 15, 2008 12:59 PM

Jan 15, 2008

ken1193 wrote:
In my own observations, although II reps are usually much more knowledgeable than RCI reps, the experience level of the individual phone rep always makes a world of difference, regardless of the exchange company involved. Some phone reps seem unwilling to ever acknowledge that they "just plain don't know" something, while others seem to feel free to offer opinions which are completely unencumbered by any actual knowledge. It's a crap shoot.

These days, the whole exchange picture is very dynamic and changing quite rapidly anyhow. Personally, I fully expect the availability of quality exchanges to continue (it's already well under way) to diminish steadily with BOTH RCI and II, as each of these companies branches out into conducting their own direct rentals. RCI has already bought into SnapTravel and LeisureLink, for no other purpose than offering direct rentals (which is much more profitable for them than just collecting piddling exchange fees). And, of course, any and all weeks "held aside" by any exchange company to be offered for direct rental (and obviously, only the more desirable weeks and places get "put aside" for direct rental) then are NOT ever available to members as "exchange" inventory.

In summary, these days it certainly seems best to buy and own ONLY that which you would either use, as is, or perhaps to rent out yourself on occasion. Buying or owning primarily to "exchange" is increasingly becoming just a fool's errand, thanks in large measure to the ever changing practices of the major exchange companies, RCI being both the biggest and (in my opinion) by far the worst offender. II is certainly not in line for sainthood either, they are just not as big or as bad....

RCI is in class action litigation for this practice...holding out a double standard for its members. Not allowing them to 'rent' properties they book through them but holding back properties and not making them available and instead reaping the rewards of just this practice. RCI has also opened up the flood gates and allowed in Ramada, Best Western and other hotel chains and has dropped the bar completely on quality and or excellence. II is the only exchange company with the HIGH qaulity resorts and keeps that standard and has eliminated the "select" level of properties and allows 5 star or 4 star properties as of 08'-09'. A far sight better all around for those of us who want luxury and were willing to pay for it!

Diva D.
Jan 15, 2008

Yikes, as far as I'm concerned the ONLY reason to buy a timeshare is to be able to travel around to other places! If I wanted to stay in one place I'd buy a house, hire a management company, rent it out till I wanted to use it! And probably be money ahead, too. At least it would appreciate.

I think that the vacation club concept is becoming more popular due to limited exchanges. I really like the concept but if I had to do it all over again, I'd interview timeshare companies before I decided which one to purchase. A vacation club that has many nice resorts all over that you can exchange internally first (or earlier in the year) would be best. SVC meets most of that, but they dont have as many resorts as some companies. I'm still happy though.

After reading all this stuff I've decided to book with II as I need a timeshare in Scottsdale on a specific date. I just don't think I''d get it thru RCI. Next year when I dont have specific dates and destinations I'll try RCI and see how I do.

Nan H.
Jan 16, 2008

nanh9 wrote:
Yikes, as far as I'm concerned the ONLY reason to buy a timeshare is to be able to travel around to other places! If I wanted to stay in one place I'd buy a house, hire a management company, rent it out till I wanted to use it! And probably be money ahead, too. At least it would appreciate.

I think that the vacation club concept is becoming more popular due to limited exchanges. I really like the concept but if I had to do it all over again, I'd interview timeshare companies before I decided which one to purchase. A vacation club that has many nice resorts all over that you can exchange internally first (or earlier in the year) would be best. SVC meets most of that, but they dont have as many resorts as some companies. I'm still happy though.

After reading all this stuff I've decided to book with II as I need a timeshare in Scottsdale on a specific date. I just don't think I''d get it thru RCI. Next year when I dont have specific dates and destinations I'll try RCI and see how I do.

============ Can you use your SVC points to book into a Scottsdale unit? Also, if you have an RCI Points membership from your SVC, in mid April '(of 2008), you can check for availabilities in Scottsdale for Feb '09.

Mike N.
Jan 16, 2008

Yes, the way it works is I can use my SVC thru Shell or RCI points. And I'll need both types of timeshares as I need to be there for about 12 days. With my traditional one I'll get a week somewhere, then I'll use my SVC/RCI points to add a couple of days onto the front end of it. Works out kind of slick. I get all the time I need and will probably have a few points left to stop in Las Vegas on the way home!

I'd like to buy some SVC resale points. I see them for sale on Red Week from private individuals and Second Market Timeshares. I'm not sure how title transfers work, and I don't want to get riped off. Any advice? I've read other forums enough to know to be careful, but how the heck do you know?? Always buy from a person rather than a company?

Nan H.
Feb 14, 2008

waltk wrote:

I am fairly new to the timeshare world (Interval) but I must be doing something wrong! Two of the last 3 years we could not get our request. I turned my week in first but our requests never come through. And the people are generally not nice to deal with on the phone. It seems like you have to request a year in advance. If you have a family that can be difficult. If anyone has any advice, I'd appreciate it. Thank you.

Carol H.
Feb 14, 2008

carolh248 wrote:
I am fairly new to the timeshare world (Interval) but I must be doing something wrong! Two of the last 3 years we could not get our request. I turned my week in first but our requests never come through. And the people are generally not nice to deal with on the phone. It seems like you have to request a year in advance. If you have a family that can be difficult. If anyone has any advice, I'd appreciate it. Thank you.

I'm surprised because we have dealt with II two different times over the years ,first time for about five years and we just returned in 2005. I have never had bad treatment from a II agent but if I did I would ask to be transfered to management.

One thing you need to understand is II works on a fair exchange like a high tier resort two bedroom for same exchange.

Some unhappy members buy a one bedroom in a silver rated resort and expect to get a gold leaf(Five Star) two bedroom in Hawaii on the beach and this just isn't going to happen.

This rule changes if you wait for 59 days then make your pick of a resort you want. Then you can pickup some great exchanges.

We always do a Request First and this way if we don't get one of our three or four choices we keep our week and enjoy it.

This is one of the reasons for years I tell eveyone to buy where you love to vacation.

Last few years we have taken fourth of July week so it doesn't matter to us if we get a trade or not.

This year we traded our other unit for Maui in May 2008.

This is one of the great plans that II has had for years.

PHIL12

Phil L.

Last edited by phill12 on Sep 17, 2008 09:09 AM

Feb 26, 2008

I know this is a late posting: In response to richards 115, Have you ever tried to exchange into Harborside with an owner? We own there and are interested in trading even up sometimes. Try that and you can avoid I I altogether.

Shirley R.
Mar 21, 2008

Very informative. Thank you! What about Marriott Maui Ocean Club 1 bdr. ocean view--does that have strong buying power? Am considering buying a resale unit for around $8,000. Am told II offers a bonus week for trade. How to confirm?

divad2 wrote:
richards115 wrote:
We purchased at Westgate Flamingo Bay (2BR Sleeps 8) a couple of years ago for our first timeshare. Bought for $16K thru Westgate (mistake #1; buy aftermarket) It is a 5 Star beautiful timeshare resort. We banked (deposited) our first 2 years weeks with II and used bonus weeks to stay at the resort each year (Wonderful time). With our banked weeks we requested 2 weeks in a 5 star 2 BR timeshare in Hawaii for January 2008 and were told no problem. II called about every 2 months during 2007 to make sure we were still interested and continued to say that there was no problems. In November we started calling II and were told that nothing was available but they saw no problem in filling our request. Now we are told that nothing ever became available so we are out of luck. They suggested we could purchase 1 BR getaways for $1,000 per week. We are now scrambling to find an exchange before our first deposited week expires in May. No 5 star resorts available. Apparently all they have in inventory are lesser known resorts and off season. We had hoped to exchange for top resorts such as Hawaii & Atlantis in the Bahamas and now understand that those exchanges are unattainable. II & RCI should quit including resorts in their catalogs that they never get in inventory.
this is really a 'trade power' issue. It is the same issue that people within RCI experience and the same holds true for II. II is a broker, they do not make the decisions, the decisions were set up when the system was implemented. It works like a bank system. you get out what you 'can afford' to get out. If you have a 5 star 4 bedroom in Branson, you are never going to 'see' or be 'told' that there is any availability in Hawaii, London, Paris, Vail, Aspen, etc... those time locations sell for 2-10 times the price of properties in Branson, Tennessee, Oregon, Florida, Hilton head etc... the reality is simply this: if you purchased your time share in those places and paid those prices, you can expect to see availability within like priced or equal value resorts. Likewise if you purchased in Paris or London, or Hawaii at Hyatt, Westin, Four Seasons etc... you paid top DOLLAR for your weeks... they do not get any 'value back' when they trade 'down' to stay at Branson, Tennessee, Florida or Oregon... but they do get to see everything that is available in the I.I. sytem and you do not. You are told no worries, because there 'might' be a 4 star or a 'select' property that comes available, but the chances are slim... you will not be finding availablitity in the Hyatt's, Westin's, Four Seasons, World Mark or Raintree resorts in those Peak season times in any of those locations. its how the sytem works. You have other locations available and you are doing much better to own something rather than 'stay in a hotel', but the system has its flaws, its not perfect. Not all time share and vacation ownerships are created eqaul. Fact of the system....

Eric E.
Mar 21, 2008

erice2 states: Very informative. Thank you! What about Marriott Maui Ocean Club 1 bdr. ocean view--does that have strong buying power? Am considering buying a resale unit for around $8,000. Am told II offers a bonus week for trade. How to confirm? ========================== I'm not sure if the II bonus week will transfer with the resale as sometimes these are perks provided by the developer. Try calling II membership dept. at 800-843-8843. FYI, assuming all these bonus weeks are the same... I have one; it's only good for short notice vacations (45 days prior to checkin) and availabilities are limited. All my years of getting these, I think I used it once. But for someone who is flexible and can travel in the off season, the price is right.

Mike N.

Last edited by mike1536 on Mar 21, 2008 11:58 AM

May 02, 2008

debi_zyx wrote:
waltk wrote:

We have been members of II and RCI for quite a few years. We jointed RCI for just the reasons that JayJay mentioned, but had no qualms deciding to stop. RCI prices are always higher than II, and we much prefer the II model, where you can look for an exchange before having to give up yours. On the other hand, we are very happy with II, and have just extended our membership through to 2012.

I know this is a crazy question, but I will be a member in July 08 and not until then. I only want to view the getaways they offer and I will not get a membership number until July and I was wanting to see if anyone could loan me their membership number to only view the getaways only. I know it sounds crazy me asking that but it is worth a try. Kimberly Cagle

Kimberly C.
May 02, 2008

kimberlyc126 wrote:
debi_zyx wrote:
waltk wrote:

We have been members of II and RCI for quite a few years. We jointed RCI for just the reasons that JayJay mentioned, but had no qualms deciding to stop. RCI prices are always higher than II, and we much prefer the II model, where you can look for an exchange before having to give up yours. On the other hand, we are very happy with II, and have just extended our membership through to 2012.

I know this is a crazy question, but I will be a member in July 08 and not until then. I only want to view the getaways they offer and I will not get a membership number until July and I was wanting to see if anyone could loan me their membership number to only view the getaways only. I know it sounds crazy me asking that but it is worth a try. Kimberly Cagle
=============== Let us know what type of getaway you are looking for (dates, places, unit size) and I'm sure some of the RedWeek members can give you a cross-section of what's available.

Mike N.
May 03, 2008

mike1536 wrote:
Let us know what type of getaway you are looking for (dates, places, unit size) and I'm sure some of the RedWeek members can give you a cross-section of what's available.

As Mike mentioned, there are getaways in different states/areas and it would be impossible to list them all here. You would need to narrow your search in order for someone to list what is available.

We liked II a lot and got some very good trades. They actually have better all around quality resorts than RCI, although RCI has many more resorts to choose from but many are not quality (some are not rated at all).

R P.
May 03, 2008

kimberlyc126 wrote:

Kimberly I really doubt anyone would give you their membership number!

Once you have it you could cancel exchanges or other damage to someones plans on II.

I don't see how this would help you because until your a member II will not let you book!

What you see today on the getaway list might not be there tomorrow anyway.

Phill12

Phil L.

Last edited by phill12 on Sep 17, 2008 09:17 AM

Aug 11, 2008

Is there a mechanism to find out what your chances ar to find out your relative chances of getting a resort or what your true trading power is? I own a redweek #52 on Florida's west coast. I've put in a request 17 months in advance for what should be a popular request. I don't know if I'm wasting my time or not simply because I don't know where I am in line. Is there 10 people with better weeks than mine ahead of me in the process? Are people with better weeks going to barge ahead of me in 5 months time? I don't mind the wait, just wish there was somebody to give you a staright answer as to popularity of request and where you rate. Almost every question I've asked II is greeted with a "it depends"...It's like me sitting with a lottery ticket and the gas company calling looking when they'll get payment...it depends...

Dave S.
Aug 11, 2008

daves250 wrote:
Is there a mechanism to find out what your chances ar to find out your relative chances of getting a resort or what your true trading power is? I own a redweek #52 on Florida's west coast. I've put in a request 17 months in advance for what should be a popular request. I don't know if I'm wasting my time or not simply because I don't know where I am in line. Is there 10 people with better weeks than mine ahead of me in the process? Are people with better weeks going to barge ahead of me in 5 months time? I don't mind the wait, just wish there was somebody to give you a staright answer as to popularity of request and where you rate. Almost every question I've asked II is greeted with a "it depends"...It's like me sitting with a lottery ticket and the gas company calling looking when they'll get payment...it depends...

I'm not sure there is a STRAIGHT answer to your question ...... trading power is at the mercy of the exchange companies and it seems to be a secret formula with the big two, RCI and II.

However one criteria of trade power has to do with supply and demand of the resort and time period that you own. The southwest coast of Florida is very popular during snowbird season (after New Years until early spring or until snows thaw up north), but I have no idea what trading power a week 52 would have. It would depend on your resort and the supply and demand of that week.

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Aug 11, 2008 01:50 PM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.