Timeshare Companies

Interval International /

Aug 12, 2008

Sorry I am still in confusion we've heard all the hype about Timeshares before. Just as you're about to have your first bite of dinner after a long days work... Ring Ring! Yup, it must be supper time, could it be a telemarketer?? Chances are you're right! However, you probably haven't been fortunate enough to get a cold call you've actually wanted to receive.

Andrew J.
Aug 12, 2008

andrewj66 wrote:
Sorry I am still in confusion we've heard all the hype about Timeshares before. Just as you're about to have your first bite of dinner after a long days work... Ring Ring! Yup, it must be supper time, could it be a telemarketer?? Chances are you're right! However, you probably haven't been fortunate enough to get a cold call you've actually wanted to receive.
===================================

II (the subject here) doesn't telemarket. You need to own a II affiliated timeshare to even deal with II. What exactly is your point here, or is this just more "stream of consciousness" material?

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Aug 12, 2008 05:52 AM

Aug 13, 2008

My doubt is Buying timeshares may be one of the wisest investments one can make in there lifetime. You are buying into a vacation getaway that that can provide you and your family with yours of excitement. Is it right.

Andrew J.
Aug 13, 2008

andrewj66 wrote:
My doubt is Buying timeshares may be one of the wisest investments one can make in there lifetime. You are buying into a vacation getaway that that can provide you and your family with yours of excitement. Is it right.

Buying a timeshare is not a financial investment (as a matter of fact, if you buy from the developer you will lose a substantial amount of money when trying resale it .... excluding a few high end timeshares). Buying a timeshare is an investment in future vacations for you and your family.

Buying resale, you can save a ton of money but you need to know exactly what you want and what you are willing to pay before you start looking. Actually, I would rent before I bought any timeshare.

R P.
Aug 17, 2008

jayjay wrote:
daves250 wrote:
Is there a mechanism to find out what your chances ar to find out your relative chances of getting a resort or what your true trading power is? I own a redweek #52 on Florida's west coast. I've put in a request 17 months in advance for what should be a popular request. I don't know if I'm wasting my time or not simply because I don't know where I am in line. Is there 10 people with better weeks than mine ahead of me in the process? Are people with better weeks going to barge ahead of me in 5 months time? I don't mind the wait, just wish there was somebody to give you a staright answer as to popularity of request and where you rate. Almost every question I've asked II is greeted with a "it depends"...It's like me sitting with a lottery ticket and the gas company calling looking when they'll get payment...it depends...

I'm not sure there is a STRAIGHT answer to your question ...... trading power is at the mercy of the exchange companies and it seems to be a secret formula with the big two, RCI and II.

However one criteria of trade power has to do with supply and demand of the resort and time period that you own. The southwest coast of Florida is very popular during snowbird season (after New Years until early spring or until snows thaw up north), but I have no idea what trading power a week 52 would have. It would depend on your resort and the supply and demand of that week.

First off, I want to thank everybody on this site and convey what a great place it is. How I've been a timeshare owner for all these years and not know about it, I have no idea, just glad I've found it and want to thank everybody. I've always been ok with my weeks and their trading power, I've made some good exchanges over time.In reading everything there is here, I've found out why I've never been able to land the "big one." You know, that dream resort in a dream location on the exact week you want it. The one we're all told about whenever we attend sales presentations. I've always been told that it is about the owner of these weeks and their willingness to deposit them.If I truly want one, I have to deposit my week early and pay up front and hope for the best. The only time I did this I was encouraged to make as many choices as possible and silly me, I thought I would have the right of refusal. Sure enough choice #12 came up 2 weeks after my request and I was stuck with it. Anyway, I sorta know the answer to my own question and would like confirmation. I really want a specific week in a long time from now (about 18 months). I'm beginning to realize that if somebody is trading in a Ferrari, my Honda simply ain't going to get it, no matter how early I get in line. Now I'm wondering what is the best way of getting that Ferrari. The answer seems to be redweek. Here I can deposit 2 weeks, even more as their dues become due, and use them all together to get the one week I want. This not only seem like the best option, but the only option. Any thoughts from anybody about getting that special week?

Dave S.
Aug 18, 2008

HI,

I know you said you have a certain time frame but times when you can be flexable you can trade a honda for a BMW. I was told from II that everyone has the same trading power within 59 days of travel date. I'm not completely sure I believe that but I have seen better resorts come up in that short time period. ANother way to get exactly what you want is to pick three very nice resorts with one date (week) and do not add another lower tiered resort. If you can be a little flexable only add the resort you really really want but add 3 different weeks to it and sit tight for 6 months and wait. If you are 18 months out you have the time to play that game. Have fun with it and get on the computer every morning to see what's new and you might fall into something you just love. If you do find a resort that way you can put it on hold for so many hours to check it out further here or somewhere else.(use the next year week to hold it so you do not lose your spot in line for the good one your on the waiting list for.) If you want to have it on hold longer ask to speak to a manager since they can hold a resort for you up to 3 days which will give you plenty of time to research it to make sure it's as nice as you think. If that resort you found looks good than take the one you have on the waiting list off and use that one for the final trade. Doing it this way does not hurt your next year timeshare it's only being used for a day or so to hold a resort in your name without pulling you out of line. Some II personal have problems doing this since it's confusing to them so just ask to have a manager switch which one you are going to use to trade after you decided. ALso a lot of II personal do not know there is a rating system for each resort. If the first one insists there is not hang up and call back so you get a different rep. The resorts are rated on so many things and I"ve found any resort rated 90-92% satisfaction usually is a great resort. Find out what they were rated low on and what they had the best overall rating on which also helps. I've always gotten what I wanted (except I wasn't told about major construction next door once :o( ) with the waiting list but again I always start very early in my search. Good luck. K

Kathleen C.
Aug 18, 2008

Thanks for the reply. Well I've got a possibility of 6 resorts for 2 possible weeks. My main concern is that while I have an ok resort, with a good location and with goods weeks, they don't approach what I'm asking for. I've almost always done my trading with what is available and always gotten the best resorts with less than 60 days. Unfortunately 60 days will be too late in this instance. I'm hoping, but to tell you the truth, I have little faith in the II system to deliver the goods in this instance. ANd if that is the case, I wish they would just tell me.

Dave S.
Aug 18, 2008

At least with Redweek's exchange system, you know what's available and you know how many points you will need to snag a wanted exchange .... no guess work involved.

R P.
Aug 19, 2008

Thanks for your valuable information. The international tourism reached a record level and achieved its biggest index for the last twenty five years. The number of people who went on holiday abroad made up almost nine hundred million people. A discussion of the increasing emphasis placed by clients on the environmental impact of their holiday and of whether tourism can be a positive force for local cultures and the local environment if managed wisely.

Andrew J.
Sep 01, 2008

Are you still looking for Shell Points, I own with Shell but have not been impressed with their resorts. I also own with Marriott and Hilton. So are you still seeking to buy Shell Points?

Cheryl F.
Sep 11, 2008

Just came across this message thread today. Have read with interest. We own at the Marriott Ocean Club (1BR, Gold) in Aruba and have done so since 2000. Paid $8000 for our week although the base was $9700 at the time, they took $1700 off. We have traded every year since then and generally without a problem, always parlaying our 1BR to a 2BR and even a 3BR once. Although almost all those years we have gone Marriott to Marriott which offers higher trade value and priority. The last 2 years (and now next year too), we have gone to OceanWatch in Myrtle Beach. Also been to MVCI's in Newport Beach, Fairway Villas, Williamsburg, Paradise Island (Marriott managed at the time, not developed). As for the AC's, sadly, we've never used one but have gotten one every year with our deposit. Just got back from MB last week and requested again for same timeframe for next year. Requested two days ago, came through yesterday. I've tried trade first and request first and have not found that deposit first seems to work better than request first. Also, always let II pick the week they want at our home resort in Aruba, although have done the opposite with little difference. Obviously value to trade is important, and what you are looking for in return. My extra week AC came through yesterday, the day after deposited and it expires 9-9-09. Those places and dates are genally both that have no interest but this is the first I've had that extends into September, so who knows. For someone who vowed never to buy a TS, well, we made a good investment it seems. Now, if only Marriott would handle Marriott to Marriott exchanges in house. I have heard rumors that it may be in the future, but I've heard many rumors.

Thomas S.
Sep 11, 2008

jayjay wrote:
andrewj66 wrote:

Buying a timeshare is not a financial investment (as a matter of fact, if you buy from the developer you will lose a substantial amount of money when trying resale it .... excluding a few high end timeshares). Buying a timeshare is an investment in future vacations for you and your family.

Although I would not attempt to persuade anyone to buy a timeshare, but as I stated previously, our investment turned out pretty good. Our $8000 Marriott Ocean Club Aruba 1BR in 2000 is now selling for a bit more. For us, we stay at some very nice resorts we probably couldn't afford to get into or wouldn't pay what it cost for when we go if we had to pay without having the exchange value.

Thomas S.
Sep 17, 2008

I have owned both RCI and II properties. I like II much more. I have traded into Marriott, Hyatt and Dinsey properties. I love that I can search online and grab whatever is available. You can request first or deposit first (there is no deposit fee like RCI). The main factor when using exchange is the rating of the unit you are placing into the program. An unrated resort during low season will never get you a Mariott during high season. I own Equivest points and they are wonderful, I always see the best resorts available. As I said, I have traded into summer 2 bedroom Mariott in Williamsburg, VA; 1 bedroom summer Disney Old Key West; Studio summer Disney Wilderness Lodge; 2 Br spring break Hyatt PR. The best thing about these points is that you only use what is required 1400 point for studio; 1700 points for 1 bedroom; 2100 points 2 bedroom (red time, low season requires lower amount of points). At $0.23 per point (plus $255 membership) my Disney week cost me less than $600 (plus exchange fee) - GREAT TRADE !!!! I also own in St. Augustine (red time), but I never see the top resorts available to me, even though when I search with my Equivest points I get them. So in summary, it's all about the trading power of your resort.

Patricia D M.
Sep 18, 2008

Just wondering whether II is going down the same road as RCI. I noticed "getaway specials" included a resort that I didn't even know was in their inventory. When I did a search to exchange for the next year, nothing for the resort showed up. This is fine for anything over 60 days, obviously I don't have the trading power. But it also didn't show any weeks within the next 60 days that would normally be released, weeks that seem the only way I can get is thru their getaways....

Dave S.
May 22, 2009

Has anyone used an II certificate to rent to another person? My certificate says it is just for my use, but I can' t use it and it is for 4th of July weekend in Gatlinburg, so someone might like it.

Nancy S.
May 26, 2009

nancys314 wrote:
Has anyone used an II certificate to rent to another person? My certificate says it is just for my use, but I can' t use it and it is for 4th of July weekend in Gatlinburg, so someone might like it.

Is this an Accomodation Certificate (AC) that people receive for depositing their unit with II. I've never heard of II issuing ACs for specific weekends in specific locations.

You cannot rent a unit obtained via an II exchange, and this includes units reserved with an AC. To let someone else use the AC, you would have to make the reservation and purchases a guest certificate. The guest can then reimburse you for your costs. Advertising the rental of the AC is a no-no. I would suggest searching some of the Rental Wanted ad (here and on TUG) to see if someone wants to go someplace where you can offer the use of your AC. Discuss any compensation "off the record".

Mike N.
May 26, 2009

Thanks for your help with my question! I think it is one of the certificates, and I did not purchase the guest option, because I was sure I was going to be using it. Then, my plans changed. I will ALWAYS purchase that option in the future!

Nancy S.
May 27, 2009

nancys314 wrote:
Thanks for your help with my question! I think it is one of the certificates, and I did not purchase the guest option, because I was sure I was going to be using it. Then, my plans changed. I will ALWAYS purchase that option in the future!

I believe you can buy a guest certificate from II at any time. If you already used your AC to book a week from II and you know a person who wishes to uses the week, contact II to buy a guest certificate for that person.

You don't really buy an "option" to allow a guest to use the week.

Mike N.
Aug 22, 2009

The getaway deals through II are great. Well worth the membership price if you have the extra time and money to travel. I've actually found myself having to let great deals get away from me just because I don't have time to take advantage of all the deals that are offered. I recently put in an exchange request for 2010 and received a certificate for an additional exchange week within the next year for a nominal fee. I already have plans for a second trip this year and am working on my exchange for next year and now I have this temptation dropped in my lap!

Debra D.
Aug 27, 2009

debrad59 wrote:
I already have plans for a second trip this year and am working on my exchange for next year and now I have this temptation dropped in my lap!
And II has just started a 72-hour sale. Start packing!!!

Mike N.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.