Timeshare Companies

Interval International /

Nov 03, 2009

Does anyone know what options are available if you bought a getaway through interval that you cannot use?

Laura S.
Nov 04, 2009

I did that this past summer, and what I did was to buy a gift certificate from II for $39 or so, and then I rented out the unit on Red Week and the person used the gift certificate. No problems, tho I was worried there would be some.

Nancy S.
Jan 05, 2010

see my post on Interval International steals christmas week in Vail. I have now been told that Marriott owns 60% of II. Even more appalling that II and Marriott did not return our week in a timely manner.

Tenley L.
Jun 17, 2010

All I can say is that II has been pretty good for me. I have great TS properties and I am sure that helps, but so far I have stayed in great Timeshares exchanged through II in Canada (during Summer), Washington State (fall colors), Orlando (when ever I want, depends on nephews and nieces vacation schedules (five times now), St Martin (in Winter-twice), Key West Florida (Summer), Ft Lauderdale (Winter & Spring-which I use for a business trip),

Since my orginal purchase of a Royal Islander winter week, I have added another week with them, but also an EOY in ST Martin (because I enjoyed the II exhcange so much) and Canadian Rockies resort, which I have yet to exchange because I have been going every year or letting friends use it. My Canadian Rockies exchanges through RCI, but I have yet to use them. And also DRI, but I internally exchange through them. While they are not my favorite they are great for hard to get places like Hawaii and Europe.

Charles B.
Jun 23, 2010

They have done nothing for me. I bought a time share in Vegas because I was told that Vegas and Orlando are the 2 most desirable vacation spots and that I would have priority, granted I didn't buy through II. The Mariott Vacation club has an exchange program through them and that's who I got my timeshare from. Maybe people who buy directly through II get better availability but I have been waiting awhile and have heard nothing. I only purchased the time share because of the exchange program. I never planned on using my timeshare in Vegas but was told that for a small fee (about $170.00) I could see the world. When I called nothing in any country I wanted to visit was available, but they'll hold my week and my deposit for up to 2 years? I wanted to go on vacation this month not 2 years from now. I tried to book this about 6 months in advance and have not recieved anything other than "great offers" through email and notices that my membership is about to expire. I will let it and not feel sorry as I now feel that the Mariott and Interval International work hand in misleading people. After all the money I've paid I'm going to have to use google earth to explore Italy because Interval International continues to send me catalouges full of resorts that I can't stay at.

Edwina J.
Jun 23, 2010

edwinaj3 states in various quoted parts below:

Re: >> They have done nothing for me. I bought a time share in Vegas because I was told that Vegas and Orlando are the 2 most desirable vacation spots and that I would have priority... <<

Unfortunately, you were flat out lied to by some sleazy sales weasel, plain and simple. BOTH Orlando and Las Vegas are in fact exactly the opposite --- BOTH are very WEAK traders, because there are just so very many timeshares in both of those locations. You can trade INTO Vegas with almost anything, but trading OUT with a low value Vegas deposit is another story entirely. A Las Vegas or Orlando week deposit has a low trade value which frankly won't ever get you much in return (regardless of the particular exchange company used, by the way). With due respect, you can't really blame Interval International for the fact that Vegas deposits are simply of relatively low value. ============================================

Re: >> I didn't buy through II. <<

No one does. Interval International is just an exchange company --- they don't sell timeshares, and never did. ==============================================

Re: >> I only purchased the time share because of the exchange program. I never planned on using my timeshare in Vegas but was told that for a small fee (about $170.00) I could see the world. When I called nothing in any country I wanted to visit was available, but they'll hold my week and my deposit for up to 2 years? <<

Unfortunately, because your Las Vegas week has very low trade value and Interval International operates on a "valuation" system, you are unikely to be able get a high quality exchange with a low trade value Vegas deposit. You can't deposit a "rusty iron pipe" and reasonably expect to get a "shiny gold bar" in exchange. While that would surely be very nice, in the real world it simply does not work that way.

I can certainly empathize with your frustration, but with due respect you can't legitimately blame II for the fact that some sleazy, lying some sales weasel told you some absurdly false tall tales regarding the REAL (i.e., very low) "exchange value" of a Las Vegas timeshare purchase.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Aug 16, 2010 02:23 PM

Jun 23, 2010

No refunds on getaway weeks, try and find someone else to use it.

Trisha C.
Aug 14, 2010

Others have pretty well covered your situation, but I would like to offer some suggestions that may help.

I purchased my TS unit about 10 years ago and had absolutly no idea what TS or II was all about. However, after a few years I had educated myself about the systems so I could get the most I could. So my suggestions are based on experience and hnope they may help you.

First, start looking at vacations ideas more than a year in advance. Second, even though your Vegas property may have a low trade value you can improve your value. There are usually a few weeks during a year at any TS property with higher demand. Book one of these weeks, even though you have no intention of using it. The higher the demand the better. To book it will require you to be ready to reserve it the instant the Marriott system allows. Third, just as there are peak periods at TS properties, there are low periods too. Vacationing to your desired destination(s) during off peak weeks, not necessarly the lowest weeks, may also help secure the destination you want. Forth, be flexible with your destination. Have two or three vacation destinations in mind, along with serveral properties, this will increase the pool of available exchanges for your Vegas week.

Using these few tips will maximuze your TS trade value and take advantage of the lower values where you want to go. It's not perfect, but it should increase your odds.

One last option with Marriott that became available on June 22, 2010, is the new MVC Destinations Points system. It is not for everyone, but it MAY help in you reach your desired location.

My disclaimer on the new MVC points system. The jury is still out on this system and lots of discussion. There is a one time fee ($600 to $700) to opt-in to this system, plus an annual fee of about $110, which consolidates all the other Marriott and II fees (except annual maintanence fees) into one and releaves the nickle and dime style fees of the past.

Hope this information helps you achieve a more postive TS experience.

Jim W

PS. I do not work for Marriott or II, just a TS owner like you.

James W.
Aug 22, 2010

Well, folks, my experiences with II have been tremendous always. And I don't buy into the "low value exchange" bit. I have 2 timeshares in Vegas and bought the first one about 15 years ago. I have stayed in that one once, but traded it easily through II almost every year or other year with no problems at all. We exchanged it for Aruba this year, and stayed for 10 days at the Mariott Oceanside. II worked extremely hard for me a few years ago and managed to get me a timeshare in Newfoundland (there was only one at that time with VERY limited availbility). I actually can't say enough good about them. I have used the getaways and gotten a week in Fairmont Hotsprings for $99 for the week!

But anyone that thinks they can deposit and get an exchange into their choice location with in a 30 day period is probably mistaken. I have taken vacations on very short notice (ie, 2 weeks) but what I did was go on the exchange site and see what was available in the world during the period of time I wanted to travel. Then I chose a location. It was kind of neat--I explored someplace fun that I otherwise wouldn't have gone. Usually 2-3 months on the deposit list gets me anywhere I want to go. I can't say the same for RCI.

Nan H.
Sep 10, 2010

Our RCI membership is about to expire and as many others on this forum, I have not been very happy with the exchange possibility we have had the last 3 years. Is it most readers impression and opinion that II or Redweek is a better exchange program to join.

Hanne

Hanne L.
Sep 11, 2010

? if Marriott owns a percentage of II, could you use your Marriott points for an II exchange

Charles K.
Sep 14, 2010

hannel wrote:
Is it most readers impression and opinion that II or Redweek is a better exchange program [than RCI] to join.
You must first understand that in order to join or use II at all, you must FIRST own at a resort which is actually currently affiliated with II in the first place.

RedWeek accepts virtually ALL deposits, but the RedWeek exchange inventory is (so far, anyhow) is somewhat limited in both quantity and quality (in my personal opinion anyhow), so you may or may not see or get anything you actually want via a RedWeek exchange. However, with RedWeek (unlike with RCI) you can at least SEE what is available in the RedWeek exchange inventory BEFORE making the decision whether or not to relinquish (i.e., deposit) your week. That fact is also true of II, but as mentioned previously, the II exchange option is ONLY available to you at all *IF* you already own week(s) at a II-affiliated resort.

That said, imho ANYTHING is better than dealing with the smoke and mirrors, rep confusion and deceitful practices and machinations of RCI...

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Sep 16, 2010 05:45 AM

Oct 10, 2010

I would dispute about 'lowly' Orlando. I bought my 2-bdrm lockoff timeshare in 1997 directly from Sheraton (developer), in 'lowly' Orlando. I was a total newbie, didn't have a clue what is a high trading value timeshare vs. a low one. Todate I have no complaints about it, always banked in as 2 weeks of 1 bedroom each year, giving me 2 weeks of exchanges each year Examples of high value trades - I have traded into Manhatten Club in NY (2 yrs ago)-thru RCI and going to Cancun (2-bdrm Westin)-thru II next year. If I were to do it differently, I would have bought it from resale market for next to nothing. But still, no regrets. The value of what I have traded into is much greater than then $1100 maintenance fee that I pay each year.

SP T.
Feb 18, 2012

Is anybody out there about II. I have used them faithfully every time I planned a trip. It was especially nice that I could use points into the next year that I would otherwise loose using my timeshare. I could sign on and look around to exchange one of my units with no mention of a deposit. that was until this year end of 2011 begin 2012. Now I can't even see what is available I have to first deposit my points, which are kept by ii once deposited????

Vickie Lee B.
Mar 28, 2012

I called II even before I re-joined. They told me what was available. I just asked about one week at a particular resort. The problem was that I did this before I deposited my week. My home resort takes a couple of days to deposit my week with II. After 2 business days it took home resort to deposit the week I liked was gone.

Tom R.
Jul 15, 2012

7-15-12 Timeshare exchange? Stay away from Interval International-Go w/RCI!

Our vacation & current timeshare exchange: Emailed Interval International & resort@ approx 11pm last night regarding unsatisfactory conditions. There was a dead bug on the bed, some kind of black residue sprinkled under the 18" diameter table meant to function as a dinette at the foot of the bed, the scatter rugs did not look as though they had been vacuumed in a long time. The entire "studio" we were assigned at Reef Ocean Club in Vero Beach, Fl (& I do pre-vacation homework - older reviews were poor, but they were better in the past couple of years,) was 11' x 20' & in an old motel stretched right along Ocean Ave. These motel units were not like the units BEHIND and nearer the beach and were not the units featured on the banner as "Beautiful Waterfront Vacation Apartments Directly on the Beach" - DIRECTLY? We traded a 1200 sq. ft. townhouse in Charleston, fairly luxuriously decorated, for something we wouldn't have lived in when we got married 31 years ago? We drove 15 hours for this vacation, are in the middle of a job change, moving a home of 20 years, and this year was my husband's second major cancer surgery, and if anyone ever needed a relaxing vacation, it was us. Did Interval International care? Well, the THIRD person I spoke with after 30 minutes on hold did seem to, but she did all she could (I believe,) and her manager did NOT care. I gave fair warning that I would post this info on every travel site that would allow such information. So...here is the documentation. Take my advice: go with RCI if you have a timeshare exchange. I used to and am going back. They do not misrepresent properties, they vet their properties better, and they staff their customer service lines for longer hours.

Also, this is our second vacation in 5 years that II has mangled. They once put us in a sleazy hotel near Daytona that was over an all night karaoke bar. We left it that night. We did stay over last night in Vero, checked out this morning.

Lack of satisfactory disposition, details, and hold time follow:

10:02 phoned Interval intnational's customer svc line from website: Got Internet support? Lady listened, then said she was escalating call to customer support, I would need to make sure & hold. I tried to give her my cell # in case we were disconnected during hold time, she didn't want, just told me to make sure and hold.

10:25 Got Dimitri at Shell vacations desk??? He stated he was not even customer service, no idea why call came to him, was sorry, he would transfer me.

10:39 Got Luisa, finally, a customer service rep. Told me she could refund exchange fee $149, can't do more, nothing else available in all of FL this week

10:44 told her I knew it wasn't her fault, but this is unsatisfactory, vacation week is ruined, want exch fee, week back, and membership fee for this year extended another year since this year's vacation is gone. She said she wasn't allowed to do both. i asked for transfer to mgr, no mgr avail, too busy, wkend. On hold. Luisa back 10:51, still can offer me only exch fee & week back, on hold again. This week is good ONLY until January 2013. I don't know that I will have a full week of vacation available again by then? Told her that & She told mgr to no avail.

10:56 Luisa back, same except $50 twd next exchange. She said she would post credit. Asked her to check coasts of NC, SC, GA - also nothing available, except for a studio in Orlando. We declined.

Told Luisa that I was incredibly unhappy with the arrangement, with her manager's lack of judgment, that her service had been very good, that my vacation week had been ruined. I would pursue posting negative comments about II on travel sites online.

Hung up at 11:01

Reef Ocean Club, Vero Beach, Confirmation # 016581523

Regina A.
Jul 15, 2012

I had hit and miss with RCI. They sent us to a similar situation in Las Vegas once. I took it up with the managment of the resort we stayed at and they gave us a new room the next morning. They wanted us to go on a timeshare presentation after sticking us with a room that looked right out of the " Bates Motel " . I couldn't believe they wanted to sell us a timeshare after sticking us with a inferior room. Their story was that the owners got the better rooms. I told them that's not the way to sell timeshares. All the rooms should be of the same quality. RCI is just as bad in my opinion or maybe even worse with trades. They sell the good stuff to the public depriving members of the good trades. I got rid of two timeshares last year because I didn't want to deal with exchange companies anymore. If I decide to use a timeshare again I can just go on here or another site and rent one for less than I would pay in maintenance fees without the lifetime obligation of forever increasing fees. I think you did the right thing by voicing your opinion on a public forum. I don't think it will change their way of doing business much since all they care about is the bottom line. They get their exchange fee and it's all about volume to the greedy corporations.

Don P.
Jul 16, 2012

I have only one question for regina .... how far in advance did you book your II exchange? If it was a last minute booking or a couple months out then you will get the left overs for popular locations such as beach front in Florida in July. You would have more than likely had the same problem with RCI.

However, if you did book earlier than a couple months out then you definitely have a legitimate complaint.

R P.
Mar 03, 2013

can you tell me we just bought 2 days ago & were told we can trade our one week 2bdrm with loft for 2 weeks back in the same unit...we were lied to about so many things so looking to verify at least this

Jackie P.
Mar 03, 2013

we were told if we bought 1 week in a 2bdrm with loft we can trade that with II for 2 weeks in a 2 bedrm with loft, anyone know if this is true?

Jackie P.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.