Timeshare Companies

Interval International /

Mar 03, 2013

jackiep117 wrote:
we were told if we bought 1 week in a 2bdrm with loft we can trade that with II for 2 weeks in a 2 bedrm with loft, anyone know if this is true?

It could be true. If the week that you own is a prime time week and the 2 weeks for which you are trading are less-in-demand weeks, then that is possible.

By the way, who told you that? If it was the timeshare salesperson, then I wouldn't put much faith in that statement. If it was from an II rep or employee, then that statement would seem a bit more plausible because that employee has far less to gain from you buying a week than the salesperson would.

Lance C.
Mar 03, 2013

jackiep117 wrote:
we were told if we bought 1 week in a 2bdrm with loft we can trade that with II for 2 weeks in a 2 bedrm with loft, anyone know if this is true?

I've never heard of this before .... with exchange companies you have to deposit what you own .... there's no way that you can deposit one week of timeshare and get two weeks .... it just doesn't work that way.

R P.
Mar 03, 2013

its week 22, not sure how much demand that is & we would be looking for week 9/10 & yes it was a sales person which is why I question it as nothing else seems to be true. we are on day 3 and considering using the 10 florida law to cancel as we are already owners so the only reason we bought was for the 2 for 1

Jackie P.
Mar 03, 2013

Once you deposit your week it's the property of the exchange company. When you get your confirmation for the week you requested it is turned over to the resort that you requested. The resort then assigns your room. They are required to give you either a 1, 2 or 3 bedroom unit that you agrred to. It doesn't have to be a loft but they are required to abide by the number of rooms agreed to in the confirmation.

Don P.
Mar 03, 2013

jackiep117 wrote:
its week 22, not sure how much demand that is & we would be looking for week 9/10 & yes it was a sales person which is why I question it as nothing else seems to be true. we are on day 3 and considering using the 10 florida law to cancel as we are already owners so the only reason we bought was for the 2 for 1

I would rescind immediately! Follow the rescission instructions very carefully. They should be in that stack of papers you signed. They may also be on a computer disk enclosed with your package.

The fact that you're not sure about certain aspects of your purchase shows that you are not ready or informed enough to commit thousands of dollars to what can turn out to be a lifelong commitment.

Get working on your rescission letter immediately! Don't delay. After you have rescinded, take your time to research your options including buying resale.

Lance C.
Mar 04, 2013

I agree with Lance. If you are still in the recission period then cancel. You can always go back and buy again if you decide after learning more about what you are buying. The number one rule is when a timeshare salesperson's lips are moving they are lying. They will tell you anything to get you to buy and they get their commission.

You will also find out that you can buy the same property for pennies on the dollar on the secondary market. They pressure you to buy at a presentation before you find that out. Good luck

Don P.
Oct 20, 2014

I, too, would like any updates to Interval International. I have a hard time believing any review about them that is positive. They must be paid. I have never been able to use any inventory deposited with them, and I believe that it is just a money-making scam. I have been redirected EVERY TIME I have requested my resort--even when requesting a year in advance. I have used current inventory to travel, only to discover many empty rooms. I have received phone calls from them offering totally empty promises and bandaids with holes in them. Please, please don't use Interval. Believe the poor reviews--I wish we had. We just thought that nobody could be that bad--they were/are!

Linda W.

Last edited by lindaw824 on Oct 20, 2014 07:32 AM

Oct 22, 2014

believe only 1/2 of what you hear or are told, and the other 1/2 is just pure BS.

Charles K.
Sep 04, 2017

I deposited a week with the highest exchange value, submitted an exchange request more than a year in advance and they came up with nothing. I will never again deposit with them.

Lonna R.
Sep 04, 2017

There are impossible trades through II because certain resorts or resort weeks are never or very rarely deposited. What did you deposit and what did you request (resort, size and week).

Tracey S.
Sep 04, 2017

Depositing early is only one aspect to getting your dream trade. Really, what it does is it makes your week of ownership available to other II members. II only has so many units available to them at all the resorts. If someone beat you to it, or if the desired resort doesn't have ts owners who have listed their units available for trade, you are out of luck. We have gotten into some very fine resorts through II over the years. We always want to go the same week in Jan. When we found out there wasn't a resort we wanted that week, the woman searched for availability the following week and BINGO, we were in. This winter, we could have gotten into a killer resort in P.Vallerto Mexico, but the airfare was ridiculous. So, we are staying at a lesser resort on the east coast. Don't give up, just broaden your resort search area and dates, if possible.

Shirley R.
Sep 05, 2017

Oftentimes when you have a 2 bedroom unit - you can trade it as 2 separate units (a one bedroom and a lock off). So when you deposit your week with II you would have to deposit it as 2 separate units. I know RCI works that way and when we owned at a Marriott property we could spend 2 weeks at our home unit, using the lock off one week and the larger one bedroom for the other week. I would definitely ask at the resort you purchased!

Joann S.
Sep 06, 2017

Interesting. I have always had to deposit with Interval before they'll tell me.... What am I doing wrong?

Linda W.
Sep 06, 2017

lindaw932 wrote:
Interesting. I have always had to deposit with Interval before they'll tell me.... What am I doing wrong?

Simply stated, you are mistaken. Unlike with RCI, you have NEVER had to "deposit first" with Interval International in order to conduct a search for an exchange.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Sep 06, 2017 02:42 PM

Sep 07, 2017

ken1193 wrote:
lindaw932 wrote:

Simply stated, you are mistaken. Unlike with RCI, you have NEVER had to "deposit first" with Interval International in order to conduct a search for an exchange.

There are some resorts that do require you to commit to a deposit before allowing you to search. I believe there are only a few handful of resorts that do this and I think they are ones that bulk deposit (and don't give you a generic placemarker to search with) so that until you commit to deposit you won't have anything in your account to search with. This would effect both manual and ongoing searches. I think there are also some points resorts (I want to say DRI but am not sure about that) that can manually search without a deposit but can't do an ongoing search without committing to the deposit.

Linda, What resort do you own?

Tracey S.
Sep 08, 2017

I agree with 'lindaw', I have always had to deposit first with II, before being able to search. I don't understand how others are able to search for resorts available for exchange without depositing their resort first? Someone please enlighten me in detail.

L C.
Sep 08, 2017

lc121 wrote:
I agree with 'lindaw', I have always had to deposit first with II, before being able to search. I don't understand how others are able to search for resorts available for exchange without depositing their resort first? Someone please enlighten me in detail.

RCI ALWAYS requires "deposit first". There are NO exceptions, to my knowledge.

Interval International generally does NOT (and never did) require "deposit first", although there are apparently some resort (not II) exceptions, of which I was previously unaware. Some affiliated resorts (not II) apparently require "deposit first". I believe that these "exceptions" are relatively few in number, but they apparently exist. Tracey75 is very knowledgeable and I am strongly inclined to believe that input to be entirely correct.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Sep 09, 2017 06:16 AM

Sep 08, 2017

Ic121 and Lindaw, Tell me what you own specifically and I can probably walk you through the process and are you talking about just manually searching yourself through available inventory or do you mean an ongoing search. Both can usually be done but the procedure is different. So what resort, fixed or floating and unit size.

Tracey S.
Sep 09, 2017

Ocean Resort Villas, Maui

Linda W.
Sep 09, 2017

You mean Westin? You have a generic place marker that you can search with. Go to the exchange tab. Go to my units. You have the option to Deposit Unit.

You also have the option to Vacation Exchange. That one lets you do a manual search without depositing the unit. Nothing is finalized unless/until you get to the screen and put in your credit card info and then confirm. Up to that point you can back out at anytime and nothing has been deposited or finalized.

The next option is Place Request. When you select that one it will ask if you want to do a deposit or request first. In both cases you need to prepay the MF of the year that you are using to search. So if you use 2018 you have to have paid your 2018 mf. If you select request first, it isn't a final transaction even after putting in your credit card and confirming. You can cancel up to the point when a match is made. Once a match is made you have 24 hrs to cancel and if you do not it becomes a final transacation and your unit has been deposited.

Tracey S.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.