Kaanapali Beach Club

Ka'anapali Beach Owners Check Here

Nov 04, 2015

I also belong to this Facebook group. Nice group and a wealth of information.

stevec575 wrote:
Hello all, I will repost what I posted on the Facebook page 'DRI Friends Worldwide'. Thank you for taking the time to research the candidates and make the best choice for all of our interests!

I have been vacationing at the property since 1988 (I was 12 years old on our first trip-before it officially opened as the Embassy Suites Hotel). We have gone back almost every year since and I now spend every Easter there with my family. I own 3 deeded weeks and my parents have several weeks both deeded and in the points system. We have seen a lot of improvements over the years, but also a lot of amenities disappear despite consistent and often excessive fee increases. We need to ensure our money is being well spent and any savings get passed back to the owners...I'd like to see a few fee reductions if possible! There are several things I'd like to see changed right away- the owner's update should be just that..not a high pressure sales pitch from a used car salesman. Am I the only one that misses the manager's happy hour? The included (no add'l charge) breakfast buffet of years past was a fantastic and unique feature of the property. How difficult/ expensive would it be to have things like snorkel gear, paddle boards, kayaks available to owners and their guests to use either free or nearly free? ..also things like beach coolers/ umbrellas to check out for outings...an in-house blog/ review board for honest restaurant ratings and suggestions...The green tile floors will need to be updated soon...with nearly 100% occupancy, why cant we have a destination-quality restaurant in-house?...I have a lot more ideas but I think I'm running out of room! If you agree that I would represent our interests well please vote for me. If you have any questions feel free to ask- either publicly on this post or private message me. If you choose me to represent our interests I will always be available for questions, suggestions, and help with any problems that you want addressed.

Glenda P.
Nov 05, 2015

Thank you for your willingness to serve. I am looking for someone to give my proxy to. Do you know of any blogs that aren't monitored by DRI? I would love to be on your email list. Thanks, Roland B. Deeded and silver owner. Roland B. 01homes@sbcglobal.net

Roland S.
Nov 05, 2015

I would like to submit my proxy to an owner as well. One that could vote and speak on behalf of all owners. We need to grow our position on the board to try and better control spending, reduce maintenance fees, and take care of owner's interests. I have owned since 2001, and like jimw520 I am exhausted by the increased fees and challenges of ownership. It is obvious DRI is simply trying to force us to sell by increasing the fees to ridiculous and unjustified amounts. I would also like to know of an owners website, blog, email list, or other means of communication outside of DRI. acrispino@comcast.net Thank you Steve Carrozzo and Kristen K for your willingness to serve. I am all for pooling owners voting rights by identifying one candidate to support. I believe Mr. Wade and Mr.Cushnyr are other owners who have run in the past. Thoughts?

Ann B.
Nov 18, 2015

Just an FYI I'm trying to post this for as many owners to see.

Vera Tirkut- Hello, I work at the New York Times. A colleague is looking to speak with Diamond Resorts owners for an article she is preparing and would like to hear from them at gretchen@nytimes.com.

This was posted on the DRI news feed in FB.

Diane A.
Nov 19, 2015

If someone is writing an article about the DRI experience as an owner and needs some input...count me in!

Jim W.
Nov 21, 2015

I emailed the Times reporter (gretchen@nytimes.com) and she called me yesterday for the interview. She is looking for someone who has walked away from their timeshare and given it back to DRI, so if you know of someone please let her know.

As for the question about having a completely different experience than we purchased (those who bought Embassy Suites with limited other properties because we really just wanted to go to Maui and trade through Interval, now having to battle for a suite at Maui because of the "Hawaii Collection" having home priority) she may be reaching out to the State of Hawai'i to see if deeded owners have rights that aren't being honored. This includes being required to pay "Club Dues" to access benefits many of us don't even want to use or that cut out halfway through the year.

Kristen K.
Dec 07, 2015

My name is Denise Buskett Davis. I have owned three deeded weeks at KBC for over 10 years. I have requested to join the owners Facebook page. Thank you.

Denise D.
Dec 08, 2015

Great to see you coming to the site. I look forward to welcoming to it.

Charles S.
Feb 08, 2016

Anyone know how to contact the board directors elected by owners?

Corinna W.
Feb 08, 2016

I am a Haiwaii Collection owner. I first own Embassy Vacation club. Then Sunterra. I turn my Kaanapali Beach Club to DRI. I bought 6 weeks worth of Hawaiin points of KBC. I consider myself is an owner of Kaanapali Beach club. Am I? But I am always confused with the board of directors. Is the same board serving both converted and unconverted members?

Corinna W.
Mar 02, 2016

Hello all, probably a very distant long shot but I'm running for the board again...I would appreciate your vote- whatever you do just please vote and don't allow Diamond to proxy your vote....things will never improve if we do that!

Steve Carrozzo

Steve C.
Mar 02, 2016

Thank you for running again Steve. Wish you the best of luck!! Will you be attending the meeting? Is there an easy way to assign proxy to you? I too would like to see more owners unaffiliated with Diamond on the board.

Ann B.
Mar 02, 2016

I did vote for you - I have also run every year and could swear that I submitted it this year but did not make the ballot. Keep on trying - DRI is just a little too shielded for my taste, and to not be able to find out what is happening at the resort without doing the sales pitch is frustrating.

Kristen K.
Mar 03, 2016

Hi Kristen, wondered why I did not see your name this time. Steve, you will get my vote again. Thank you both for being persistent, keep trying, someday owners will prevail! Ann, of course you can proxy Steve, just fill in his name after "appoint" on the form. You do realize that you do not need a proxy if you vote yourself, right?

Main point of this post; Any suggestions for whom to vote for besides Steve? We need to consolidate our votes if we are ever to have a chance against DRI. I like the resume of the other two "C's", John Campolongo and Gerald Cushnyr. Does anyone have any additional information about them either good or bad?

Going to the resort next week, can't wait! Unfortunately the trip was planned before the meeting was announced, we are leaving the day before. Bummer. Anyway, good luck Steve.

Brien Bluhm. Owner since Embassy. Deeded room 812, week 26, every year, plus additional DRI points.

Brien B.
Mar 03, 2016

If possible, we need to consolidate our efforts in order to gain a majority vote. I think with so many candidates, our votes for non-DRI affiliates have been split and DRI maintains control.

Ann B.
Mar 03, 2016

I converted my Embassy Deed to Sunterra and later to DRI. I bought additional DRI Hawaiian points to get to Platinum Elite. It worked out great in the beginning. Supposedly for the Hawaiian points DRI sold has underlying Hawaiian inventory to support it. But DRI invented Club Combination (formerly Club Select) that let you bring in any resort and the assess certain points to it. This created a problem. There are points has no underlying Hawaiian inventory and it made the legitimate original Hawaiian points not able to make reservations. We need directors or law to hold our Hawaiian points value. We can not allow the points from club combination to have the same right. How should this issue be corrected? Does any one know?

Corinna W.
Mar 03, 2016

Hi Steve, I just voted for you. I also voted for John and Gerald as well. I have owned at KBC since it was Embassy. I have deeded weeks (both one and two bedroom) and visit every year. I would give my eye teeth for transparency! It is really too bad consumer laws don't mandate that the owners be allowed to know who their fellow owners are. I feel like a prisoner tapping on the wall hoping other owners will hear me. Lol!! Hope you are elected! Best, Denise Davis

Denise D.
Mar 04, 2016

3-4-2016

When I purchased into KAANAPALI Beach Club Resort (KBC), it was owns by Sunterra; later it was sold to Embassy and lastly to Diamond Resorts International. After Diamond Resorts International purchased the resort, the maintenance fees went up astronomically from year to year. Sometimes as much as 20% or more. My timeshares are in a trust and now I fear my nieces will be stuck with this albatross which they can ill afford much like myself.

On December 24, 2013 I had my owners update. Brent Wilson, the sales agent, took me to a beautiful two bedroom on the 12th floor and told me about all the plans that Diamond Resorts International had in the works.  Such as moving the gym to the dining room; moving the towel shack to where the gym was and there are plans to make an extra large hot tub. They already have a hot tub. And I said, "Hey this doesn't need to be done did you run this by your owners?" The answer was no. They had already gone public and they were doing this to make money for their shareholders; we owners no longer matter.

He went on to say they wanted to be equivalent to Marriott, Wyndham and resorts of the ilk. They also want to ask for the same money as those resorts.

So, when I sat down to hear what the salesperson, Brent Wilson, had to say. He started by saying they wanted an extra $100,000 from me.  He gave me many reasons why I had to pay the $100,000.  He also mentioned that I purchased off the secondary market; that my 4 timeshares were at different times of the year and if I wanted to continue using them consecutively and whatever time of the year I wanted, I had to pay this $100,000. I was in shock and nearly cried.

After he said Diamond Resorts International wanted $100,000 more from me, I replied back, "You want my retirement money; no way!" 

Next thing I know the manager, Chris, comes over and he says I'll lock that $100,000 in for you for 18 months. Later, he comes back and says, "I couldn't lock it in.  Apparently, your sales person from last year locked it in for $56,000 and it expired a week ago. Would you sign this waiver so that I could lock the $100,000 in?" I looked at him and I said, "Excuse me do I have a neon light on my forehead that says stupid, no way!!!"

So, under duress, I signed the $56,000 contract. I explained this was way more than a year's pay; I couldn't afford that too! On Christmas Eve day I got the screws put to me by Diamond Resorts International . So I went back to my room and I had a good cry. I then called a male friend and he told me tomorrow you go back and you get that contract!

That night, Christmas Eve, I wrote a letter to Stephen Cloobeck which is below. And below that letter, Brent Wilson dictated to me yet another letter and had me send it to the regional manager. I sent both letters to Steven Cloobeck.

So the next day, CHRISTMAS, I went down to the sales department to get the contract back and the lady I spoke to said, "Let me call the sales manager down". I said, "No don't! I don't like him! Don't call him down." The lady next to her called him down. This "so called manager", Chris, looks at me and says, "I would appreciate you not going around the resort and telling people I'm a crook!" And I looked at him and said, "That word is not in my vocabulary. But if you feel like a crook it's because you are a crook!" They never gave me my contract back. I was so depressed and upset I forgot it was Christmas and missed the Christmas buffet.

The day after Christmas Brent Wilson comes down and says, "Why are you so upset what's the big deal you have time to cancel your contract. You have X amount of days to cancel."  I don't remember exactly what the amount of days he said but he was wrong and I corrected him.  I went on to say we are in the midst of holidays and I don't know if holidays are considered in the timing with which one has to cancel the contract so this was important to me to get this taken care of.

So then Brent says to me, "Well how much can you afford?" So then I thought to myself, I better give him a good figure or they won't play ball with me. So I said, "How about $10,000?" He looked at me and said, "Well how about $11,900?"

So UNDER DURESS I signed the $11,900 contract. I felt like I was cornered and there was no way out; I had to pay. Because I thought that if I didn't pay them I would have to use my 4 Hawaiian timeshares at 4 different times of the year and pay for 4 flights from Michigan to Maui and at that time the flights were $1,400 which also was cost prohibitive.

Let me add this. When Brent asked what can you afford? I thought THIS IS A SCAM BUT I WAS ALONE AND AFRAID! I was right on the money; it was indeed a scam! The following year I heard he got "Salesman of the Year." But he got that award by lying and cheating owners like myself.

Now I have so much time I cannot possibly use it and Diamond Resorts International will not allow you to rent your time to anyone other than friends & family. You can carry points over a year but eventually I will have accumulated so much time I will loose money. You see if I cannot use my timeshare or rent it to a friend or family member, I am plum out of luck! I loose my time and money. 😭

And if you wish to sell, you have to use all your time or when you sell, you loose the time which means you loose $$.

SHAME ON YOU, DIAMOND RESORTS INTERNATIONAL FOR PLACING YOUR OWNERS IN A FINANCIAL CATCH 22!!!

It seems that there must be something that can be filed with the State of Hawaii attorney general regarding these deceptive practices.

WE SHOULD START A CLASS ACTION SUIT IN RESPONSE TO THESE OUTRAGEOUSLY CLIMBING MAINTENANCE FEES. I CAN NO LONGER AFFORD MY KBC TIMESHARES!!!

I am indeed a VERY UNHAPPY CUSTOMER AND WANT TO SELL ASAP!!!

----------------------------------------------

Mr. Stephen Cloobeck,

My owner's review at KBC started at 8:00AM and ended at 2:30PM on Christmas Eve 2013.

I thought they were going to simply tell the platinum members of up-coming updates.

The news I got left me with one of two choices. Forfeit my timeshares or use my retirement money to keep it and go back to work.

You see, I return yearly in memory of my dearly departed father. My first year use at KBC, I was here for 1.5 days when my father drown. Needless to say, my vacation was cut short and I may add Mr. Gary Manos was a class act during what was one of the roughest times of my life.

Now because KBC is nearly sold out, I would have had to come at the dates on my original deeds even though I had points (See below). That cost was prohibited because I live in Michigan and I would have to fly out 4x (Currently each flight is $1,400). It was that or face an assessment of tens of thousands for each timeshare because an assessment fee is coming to KBC soon. They plan on doing a lot of renovations in the future; the assessments were so humungous I could not wrap my mind around it!!! I am not a crier but I heard a crack, then brain fog sat in and lastly my emotions could not be contained and I turned away from my agent for a few minutes and cried.

PTL, my sales agent from last year, Alex, put paperwork in for me to lock in a cost, prohibiting this from happening but the paperwork expired on 11/28/13. The gentleman, Brett, I spoke with today went to bat for me and spoke to his boss & the regional manager, Kirk, concerning my situation. He took with him the below note.

In lieu of looking at possibly hundreds of thousands to keep my timeshares last year Alex locked in a much, much lower price and even though it was expired the price was honored. Another $46,000+ I had to pay to keep my 50,000 points and come any time per usual and in consecutive weeks. I felt extorted.

(BTW, the regional manager, Kirk came to the table introduced himself and approved the cost that Alex locked in the previous year. PTL!)

I am curious as o why they ask for first right of refusal for the timeshares on the secondary market if they turn around and penalize owners for purchasing on the secondary market. Had I known I was going to be Held hostage as such, I never would have purchased on the secondary market.

----------------------------------------------

Below is the other letter which I also sent to Stephen Cloobeck & the head of KBC:

To whom it may concern,

I find myself in quite the predicament. I was not a knowledgeable person concerning timeshares. Consequently, I purchased on the secondary market weeks and converted what I had to points and thereafter purchased more points to be a platinum member.

I could schedule to go to Maui any time of year.

I own weeks, 33 in unit 705 Aug 16; 21 unit 705 May 24; 37 unit 608 Sept 13 and 6 unit 915 Feb 8.

I am retired and on a meager pittance. I am unable to pay for four flights, and assessments.

I purchased here because of my rheumatoid & fibromyalgia. I wanted to be here in the winter months.

Now as I write you, I am not only nervous but shaking to think I will loose what money I have saved for my retirement and have to go back to work. Is there any way you could accommodate me as if I purchased from the developer so that I could have the same opportunities as them? I am requesting to trade my weeks into the Hawaii Collection a purchase just like the owners that purchased from Suntana initially?

Kathleen F.

Last edited by kathleenf57 on Apr 01, 2016 12:15 PM

Mar 04, 2016

I wish all posting has a date and time stamp. We do need to unite all Kaanapali owner and Hawaiian collection point owners that has underlining inventory.

3/4/2016. 5:34 pm

Corinna W.
Mar 04, 2016

Kathleen, If you sell your Platinum membership, the buyer will not be able to have the platinum membership and it would worthless. What you could do is making the membership under a living trust. Name it such as 'KL DRI living trust' you can find the document in legal zone.com. After you established it, it may need to be witnessed and notorized. Then you send a copy of your simple living trust that the you are the trustee and request to change the contract to the name of the trust. (It cost about $100 per contract). You then can sell it and naming the buyer as the new trustee. The new trustee would be able to have full control of the living trust and keep the platinum membership.

3/4/2016.

Corinna W.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.