Kaanapali Beach Club

Ka'anapali Beach Owners Check Here

Jan 03, 2011

Just voted for Ron Wade and Kristen Kirkpatrick. Unfortunately, I do not know of any owners attending the board meeting to act in our best interests. Also joined the website mentioned above for KBC owners. Thanks for setting that up!!!

Ann B.
Jan 03, 2011

Vacationo..... I've owned at KBC for 10 years (deeded weeks).

Keith P.

Last edited by kpaul5257 on Jan 29, 2012 02:16 PM

Jan 18, 2011

I didn't know about this forum until I ran into another Sacramento based owner last weekend at KBC, but am honored to have been mentioned so often in such a favorable way!

There is tremendous confusion, especially with long-time owners who have lived through Embassy to Sunterra to DRI. Three companies, three completely different systems. So I'm going to pose the most common questions that I hear, and if anyone can answer with authority you would be doing a huge service for so many!

1. Definition of terms - what is a deeded owner, what is a trust owner? And The Club owners? Are these different from points owners?

2. Can you be both? Using our history as an example: when we purchased through Embassy in 2001 and 2002, we were deeded and owned by the week. When we purchased in 2003 that was Sunterra and The Club. Our friends purchased the first two the same as us, own in Arizona, and in 2008 bought into points at DRI to join their Arizona and Maui properties under one umbrella. We are deeded, to the best of my knowledge, but are our friends part deeded, part trust? All trust? All deeded?

3. If our property is all deeded, and our home resort is the Hawaii Trust, will buying more points through DRI cause us to forfeit the deeds? Similar to our friends' situation in #2.

4. Can all of us post rentals on Red Week? Our friends were told no - but is that trust points? The Club points? I don't recall signing anything that prohibits that (but then I'm deeded in The Club) In fact, that was a sales pitch - buy more, rent out what you can't use to cover the fees. (And yes, how many of us also got the deluxe ocean FRONT pitch? LOL)

5. Why are there deadlines on making decisions about how to use points, and why are they so early in the year? We are Silver Elite, but have to pretty much lock in all our plans by June. Those who really complain are not at Silver Elite and must know what the future holds by March.

Similarly, we can't use current year left over points for next years reservations unless we push them forward by June, and not all points that are unused in June can be pushed into the next year. So when we had 12,000 points that we couldn't save into 2011, we also couldn't use them in June 2010 to book a stay in early January 2011. And by learning in June that we couldn't push them forward, we were also past all the deadlines for other benefits, such as airline tickets, and too early to know how to apply any points to 2011 maintenance fees.

If the owner of a benefit that can't be used then loses the benefit, it's not really a benefit at all.

In my experience as a marketing communications professional for many, many years, I find that most often conflict could be lessened significantly with better communication. Perception is reality, and most often true reality lies somewhere in between the two conflicted parties. Knowledge is, therefore, power - but in a really positive way for all.

Most owners I know have asked one (or all) of the questions above at some point. Reminders of key deadlines would help. A primer of some sort that lays out options, terminology and tips for maximizing points would help. A monthly email alerting us to exciting changes on the property would help (the quarterly update is better than what we didn't have, but it's not that timely.) And a means of offering suggestions that are responded to would help. In the absence of proactive communication, fires are fueled.

Here's an example of something very non-combative that could have generated warm, fuzzy feelings: we were told at the owner's meeting that food and beverage is a money loser. In 2001, breakfast for four for a week was $70. Today it's that much for one meal, which is way more than inflation would run. Happy hour used to be free, now it's half price - but the drinks have gone from $7 to $10, and the 2009 "buy this glass and get refills cheaper" has already disappeared. The menu didn't change for years, and wasn't that good. We used to have nightly music that made it an inviting place to hang out, drink prices were more favorable, and the bargain breakfast made us feel at home - and therefore lunch and dinner were more popular (until the menu got stale and the music was cut!)

I loved the Friday 11-2 poolside BBQ and music, with happy hour pricing at the bar! But I knew nothing about it until I got down there. I'd read in the quarterly newsletter that there was a new menu coming, but not when. I was thrilled to see the new menu - why not eblast it out when it's brand new? Food and beverage is a simple, non-controversial thing. Communicating the detail might make it more profitable, or just asking why people don't eat there as much might yield some great solutions.

My two cents about the positive outcome that proactive communications can yield. The people who were elected to the Board were those that already served. My only question is this: how many votes did DRI have to cast? Or the Board themselves, via proxy? Interesting that the incumbents each received over 12,000 votes each, and all the more interesting if Board/DRI votes were in the 12,000 range or more...again, being up front with information like that can significantly reduce the speculation.

Kristen Kirkpatrick

Kristen K.

Last edited by kristenk15 on Jan 18, 2011 04:41 PM

Jan 18, 2011

kristenk15 wrote:
I didn't know about this forum until I ran into another Sacramento based owner last weekend at KBC, but am honored to have been mentioned so often in such a favorable way!

Hi Kristen....I'm sure you are wishing you were in the blue skies of Maui versus our lovely gray days :-)

kristenk15 wrote:
Most owners I know have asked one (or all) of the questions above at some point.

Kristen Kirkpatrick

For those that do not know the board results are as follows: VOA results Ron Wade - Incumbent Owner at KBC 12,612 votes Kathy Wheeler - DRI Employee for 10 years 12,366 votes

AOAO results Jason Toste - Incumbent DRI Employee 12,368 votes

No one has any information on these candidates except for a one paragraph bio.

Keith P.

Last edited by kpaul5257 on Jan 29, 2012 02:19 PM

Jan 19, 2011

I find it interesting the election took place and the only way we got quick information as to the results is here. This only confirms my belief that Diamond is poor at communicating with the owners. Kristen's questions are well stated and we should try to post a blog to help other owners who have similar inquiries. I am a real estate lawyer who has a deeded interest. I never really paid too much attention to the other formats of ownership at KBC as I have no desire to purchase more weeks and believe my deeded time takes priority over other formats. If you own in the other formats and send me copies and emails I will try to decipher them. No promises.

One out of 2 is better than 0 out of 2. Is there a good way to contact Mr. Wade to see if he is on board with the owners and determine how we can plan a strategy so that more owners are elected next year vs employees of DRI?

If so, the time to move is now. Please send me his email address and I'll try to spearhead the campaign. Thanks Jigger

Jerry U.
Jan 19, 2011

jigger wrote:
I find it interesting the election took place and the only way we got quick information as to the results is here. This only confirms my belief that Diamond is poor at communicating with the owners. Kristen's questions are well stated and we should try to post a blog to help other owners who have similar inquiries. I am a real estate lawyer who has a deeded interest. I never really paid too much attention to the other formats of ownership at KBC as I have no desire to purchase more weeks and believe my deeded time takes priority over other formats. If you own in the other formats and send me copies and emails I will try to decipher them. No promises.

One out of 2 is better than 0 out of 2. Is there a good way to contact Mr. Wade to see if he is on board with the owners and determine how we can plan a strategy so that more owners are elected next year vs employees of DRI?

If so, the time to move is now. Please send me his email address and I'll try to spearhead the campaign. Thanks Jigger

I think you can contact him through the board secretary?

Keith P.

Last edited by kpaul5257 on Jan 29, 2012 02:21 PM

Jan 20, 2011

My law practice is 90% real estate based. I am not licensed to practice in Hawaii but own timeshare with HGVC and at KBC (total 6 weeks). I presently serve on the Board of Directors for one of the HGVC timeshare corporation that I own. I own 2 weeks at K B C and have watched as Diamond has tried to dilute my ownership rights. I'm not happy with what has happened there.IMHO We are like sheep or cattle that are being led to slaughter I will email you directly

Jerry U.
Jun 05, 2011

Aloha Bill

We would like to extend the invitation for your group to hold a monthly meeting / event at our bonsai facility Here in Haiku. We are located at: 88 Kamalii Place right off Ulumalu Road.

For the past 3 years we have conducted group hands-on workshops on the bonsai trees for Kaunoa Seniors The Maui Garden Club, Valley Isle Bonsai Club, Waiehu Okinawa Cultural Society, etc.

Our facility has a full refrigerator, bathrooms and ample parking for up to 30 cars, or van-bus.

The facility can be previewed at: YouTube: Olinda Bonsai or on www.airbnb.com/roms/90520

Aloha, Let us know if you would like a site inspection for an upcoming event.

Randy G.
Oct 27, 2011

I am on Maui searching out timeshares for purchase. After reading the above, we are taking this complex off our consideratiion list.

Good luck to you owners.

John B.
Oct 27, 2011

The best option with timeshares is to buy where you will vacation, and don't buy where the units are still being sold. I own one at Kahana Falls down the road that I'd like to sell simply because we own too much on Maui. But it's sold out, it's smaller, and the owners TRULY call the shots.

Kristen K.
Oct 27, 2011

There is much that is good happening at KBC, and there are people there who genuinely care. Other than the election issues, most of the issues we cite as being problematic stem from what we are told in sales. When KBC is sold out, things will likely improve. Until then, we will be promised the moon.

DRI's tagline is "Relaxation. Simplified." There is nothing simple about owning at KBC. But it's till my home away from home, it's still less expensive than other timeshares in the area (unless you're in the Hawaii collection and then you MIGHT get to share that Poipu problem.) But I'm deeded, will never attend another sales presentation because we think that is where we all get led astray, and will celebrate the day that sales is gone, that DRI-owned units are gone, and when we can accurately asses how much influence DRI should (or should not) have.

Kristen K.
Oct 28, 2011

johnb1919 wrote:
I am on Maui searching out timeshares for purchase. After reading the above, we are taking this complex off our consideratiion list.

Good luck to you owners.

Frankly, I think you are making a mistake to do so. I own a lot of weeks there and it is a great resort. Some issues with DRI, but look at the forums and blogs for other timeshare resorts. You will see a lot of the same. Just do your homework and compare apples to apples. I love the resort, and in this depressed market, bargains are abundant!

Gary B.
Oct 29, 2011

Kristen... You have asked many questions that all of us have asked many times, they would be easy for an honest organization to answer.... However, Diamond Resorts is not an honest company, and they sell more memberships tjan they have weeks to offer, they will never admit to how many "Deeded Owners" there are nor how many points members there are... They have 3 of 5 board member positions when legally they are entitled to 1... The Hawaii Collection is in a mess, the recent assessment is out of control, points members have no vote as Diamond votes them as a trust, they will not release an owners list so that we can organize... If you want to run for the board they edit what you write and will remove any comments that you make about Diamond Management... This is an ongoing criminal enterprise in my opinion...

Michael D.
Nov 01, 2011

Gary,

Went to the property today to see what we were missing in response to your reply. Did not do a "presentation" but did have a salesperson show us the deluxe ocean view unit and give us pricing.

We were told that the deluxe ocean view goes for 11,500 points a week and we could purchase that for $44K.

After we explained our situation and that we were looking for four weeks in a ocean front unit, we were quoted a new price (coming from returned inventory). We were quoted $69K with some room to negotiate, for enough points for the deluxe ocean view unit for four weeks. We were told that was equivalent to what it would cost on the resale market.

The points system has to many ways for the developer to devalue the points (simply raise the number of points necessary for usage), in my opinion.

Sure was strange to see the price go from $44K a week to $17.25K. All the while knowing that the resale price is as low as $2K - $4K.

John B.
Nov 01, 2011

John I see you are doing your homework. Good for you, most do not. In looking for something to buy, I would just do what you are doing. Look into the details of each property, tour them and see where you get the most bang for your buck! Good luck! Gary

Gary B.
Nov 01, 2011

There are actually three options - we are always asked if we are deeded or points, and it turns out we are both. We bought deeded timeshares in 2001, 2002 and 2003 - but the third purchase was under Sunterra, so buying that third property put us into points but we are still deeded on all three. So we are actually deeded with points yet NOT in the Hawaii Collection. As such, we received our maintenance bills but because we aren't "Hawaii Collection" points, we were not charged the additional assessment. Suddenly I feel like we're in the best of all worlds and I truly have no idea how that happened. But then I only learned in August what our ownership actually involved. It was so much simpler when it was Embassy...buy a week, use a week....

Kristen K.
Nov 02, 2011

DRI votes all of the Points Members as a block for the candidates that they endorse of which 3 of the 5 are Diamond Employee's

Michael D.
Nov 02, 2011

kristenk15 wrote:
There is much that is good happening at KBC, and there are people there who genuinely care. Other than the election issues, most of the issues we cite as being problematic stem from what we are told in sales. When KBC is sold out, things will likely improve. Until then, we will be promised the moon.

DRI's tagline is "Relaxation. Simplified." There is nothing simple about owning at KBC. But it's till my home away from home, it's still less expensive than other timeshares in the area (unless you're in the Hawaii collection and then you MIGHT get to share that Poipu problem.) But I'm deeded, will never attend another sales presentation because we think that is where we all get led astray, and will celebrate the day that sales is gone, that DRI-owned units are gone, and when we can accurately asses how much influence DRI should (or should not) have.

I am not sure you understand Diamond Resorts International, it will never be "sold out"as you imply... They will sell as many memberships as they can, far beyond the 52 week X # of units, this is a huge fraud, the only way they will stop selling additional memberships is by a court action, or an investigation by the Attorney General's office..

Michael D.
Dec 18, 2011

We purchased our KBC week privately 4 years ago. We love it here. We are here for our 4th year and again were invited to a presentation which we attended today. The sales rep and his supervisor implied that as deeded 'traditional' owners we run the risk of not having the resort available to us in the future as the majority of owners are now, and will eventually all be, Select Points members. At that juncture they inferred we would be lucky to get our week. They also tried to 'explain' to us how the points are deeded too and have a host of other benefits. As traditional deeded owners we were compared to being the vcr of the vacation club world. Even after the bullying we didn't budge, but were offered 3500 points for $9700. Leaves a bad taste in our mouths. Lucky the pool is still welcoming :))

My thoughts after this meeting was to do some research and I stumbled upon this site. It's nice to be able to converse with others in the situation.

Wendy T.
Dec 20, 2011

Kristen - you know who I am and I hope you are doing well. I hope you eventually get on the board at the resort. Aloha

Keith P.

Last edited by kpaul5257 on Jan 29, 2012 02:23 PM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.