Timeshare Companies

Where not to sell your timeshare!

Mar 16, 2007

I had a bad experience with Worldwide Timeshares...they outright lied ...I endedup contacting the Attorney General in FL...and ended up settling for half my money back, two years later. Whatever you do don't pay any upfront costs. Advertise it on your own or thru your home resort or thru redweek.com

Randall B.
Mar 21, 2007

Randallb,

How did you go about doing that? I got burned by one of those companies (Land Ahoy Properties in Orlando, FL) and have complained to the BBB there and also to my credit card company. They lied to me about selling my timeshare too. :( I do live across the country in CA so getting over to Florida would be a bit of a problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Nori N.
Mar 21, 2007

norin wrote:
Randallb,

How did you go about doing that? I got burned by one of those companies (Land Ahoy Properties in Orlando, FL) and have complained to the BBB there and also to my credit card company. They lied to me about selling my timeshare too. :( I do live across the country in CA so getting over to Florida would be a bit of a problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

I called FL information and got the number of the attorney general office. I called them and talked to his office explaining what happened. They took my full statement, my address etc. Then others started calling about the same thing happening to them. They called me back and were actually going to fly me down there (all expenses paid) to testify against the company, but they settled with them. I ended up recieving half of what I paid. Not great but it was better then nothing and it was a lesson learned. Hope this helped!

Randall B.
Mar 21, 2007

Thanks for the feedback! How much time between the time you paid (i'm assuming you were trying to sell a timeshare?) and the time you contacted the Attorney General? I paid back in Nov last year but got fed up with the "excuses" I got for the darn thing not selling.

Nori N.
Mar 22, 2007

The telephone number of the Florida Attorney General is 1-850-488-2111.

Kudos to you Randal for following up on the lies told you by an upfront fee timeshare resale company by contacting the Florida Attorney General.

This is what all people should do that are scammed by these companies, but most people merely chalk up their scam losses and move on. However you would not believe those that move on to the next scam company. Once they get burned 3 or more times, they finally get the message concerning upfront fee resale companies. The salespeople are very good at what they do in convincing people to list with them.

Perhaps if everyone filed a complaint with Attorneys General in the state where they were scammed, it would put the upfront fee timeshare resale scammers out of business.

R P.
Mar 22, 2007

Thanks so much jayjay for the info. I still want to get rid of my timeshare (a stupid "investment") and did google no upfront timeshare companies. I found one in Nevada called preferred timeshares (www.preferredtimeshares.com) On my side of the country at least - I live in CA) but am now hesitant to contact any of these companies.

I suppose I will list my timeshare on redweek next year (I bought an even year timeshare - yes, VERY unwise, damn those Fairfield ppl!) and hopefully it will sell.

Nori N.
Mar 22, 2007

jayjay,

Is there a way you would be willing to email with me privately so I can ask you some questions about filing a claim with the Attorney General's office? My email is nori_nadzri@hotmail.com.

Thanks a lot.

Nori N.
Mar 23, 2007

nori, since I am not an attorney I recommend that you call the Florida Attorney General's office and ask them how to file a compaint. The number is 1-850-488-2111.

R P.
Aug 11, 2009

Was this through World Wide Timeshare Solutions of Palm Beach, Florida? Do you have your money back yet?

Wendy H.
Aug 11, 2009

Hi,

No, it was through Land Ahoy Properties. They are no longer in business. I did contact a company called Haufman & Haufman which specialized getting money back for people who were scammed by resale companies and got some money back but then *they* went out of business too!

Nori N.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.