Marriott's MountainSide at Park City

exchanges within the Marriott resorts

Apr 10, 2007

Last year I tried to buy a Marriott week in Park City, but was told that anyone who buys a Marriott week from a private party or timeshare exchange company would not be able to exchange that week within the Marriott resorts worldwide. That left RCI or II as the only means for exchanging "my newly acquired week" for another resort. So I didn't buy the week from my sister-in-law. She had to sell it back to Marriott for them to resell at their higher prices (which included the right to exchange within the Marriott group. Do the weeks listed for sale on Redweek.com include the right to exchange directly within Marriott's resorts?????????

Doug
Jul 01, 2007

Who told you this? Currently most marriotts only trade with II (some Marriott Vail weeks can also trade via RCI) and intra-marriott trades are through II, and completely the same if you purchased from a developer/Marriott or a private party.

Don S.

Last edited by d58 on Jul 01, 2007 09:51 AM

Jul 01, 2007

d58 wrote:
Who told you this? Currently most marriotts only trade with II (some Marriott Vail weeks can also trade via RCI) and intra-marriott trades are through II, and completely the same if you purchased from a developer/Marriott or a private party.

My sister-in-law told me that this restriction came from the "buy-back" agency at Marriott sales office. I called to question that very unfair practice and an agent from marriott told me exactly the same thing. If you don't buy directly from Marriott, you cannot exchange your week freely within the marriott system. Yes, you could deposit your week in II and trade it that way. My question was "could a new owner trade within the marriott chain, thereby avoiding II deposits and fees." So, you still missed my point. If I buy a marriott week through Red Week, could I log on to Marriott and exchange directly within the marriott chain? It is my understanding that a Marriott timeshare owner can book a week at any of the participating Marriott resorts without going through an outside exchange agency.

Doug

Last edited by dougs94 on Jul 01, 2007 03:45 PM

Jul 01, 2007

dougs94 wrote:
d58 wrote:

"could a new owner trade within the marriott chain, thereby avoiding II deposits and fees." So, you still missed my point.

I never missed your point. Please see above, "intra-marriott trades are through II"

ALL intra-marriott exchanges currently happen through II. There is currently NO way to do intra-marriott exchanges through Marriott without II.

Don S.
Jul 03, 2007

Thanks for your response. I just don't understand why a salesperson from Marriott would discuss the trading issue with me, let alone my sister, if it did not exist. Maybe their policy has changed in the last two years. Thanks again, D58!

Doug
Jul 03, 2007

Next time, tell the salesman to send it to you in writing so you can review it. The reality is it doesn't exist if it's not in writing.

BTW, my best friend and my SIL are RE agents. They say all agents lie. So you ask for it in writing, and you'll see what floats to the top.

Carrie S.
Jul 03, 2007

dougs94 is correct.

All trading of Marriott's must be done through II. Marriott once did have a special internal exchange system within II - so technically Marriotts did trade internally. Marriott was a percentage owner of II at the time.

Several years ago (4-5), Marriott sold off their interest in II. They now only offers a one month "Marriott only" trade time after a week is deposited. After that, anyone in II can get that Marriott week.

I own an "after market" Marriott in Hawaii. I have the exact same booking and trading rights as all Marriott units bought through Marriott. The only thing I cannot do, is convert my timeshare to Marriott Rewards points.

Just before I bought my timeshare, I went to a Marriott preview in Florida. The salesperson tried to feed me a line of BS, by telling me my after market unit would not trade the same as one bought through Marriott.

He said he was told this by his supervisors. I sat back and listened because I knew better. When I told him that he could be held liable for fraud if he was not telling the truth, he changed his stance. He now said that it only made sense, but no-one had actually told him that as a fact. Furthermore, I should not rely on it as a reason to buy from him or Marriott. As a matter of fact, I had him on the defensive and he tried to get me out ASAP.

A total about face!

Buy an after market timeshare in a good location with reasonable fees and you'll be happy. Be careful, as some ski resorts have high annual fees due to the high abuse each unit takes.

Also, try the new Redweek exchange. I deposited a CO week there and received 1800 points.

Good Luck

Terry H.
Jul 04, 2007

terry314 wrote:
dougs94 is correct.

All trading of Marriott's must be done through II. Marriott once did have a special internal exchange system within II - so technically Marriotts did trade internally. Marriott was a percentage owner of II at the time.

Several years ago (4-5), Marriott sold off their interest in II. They now only offers a one month "Marriott only" trade time after a week is deposited. After that, anyone in II can get that Marriott week.

I own an "after market" Marriott in Hawaii. I have the exact same booking and trading rights as all Marriott units bought through Marriott. The only thing I cannot do, is convert my timeshare to Marriott Rewards points.

Just before I bought my timeshare, I went to a Marriott preview in Florida. The salesperson tried to feed me a line of BS, by telling me my after market unit would not trade the same as one bought through Marriott.

He said he was told this by his supervisors. I sat back and listened because I knew better. When I told him that he could be held liable for fraud if he was not telling the truth, he changed his stance. He now said that it only made sense, but no-one had actually told him that as a fact. Furthermore, I should not rely on it as a reason to buy from him or Marriott. As a matter of fact, I had him on the defensive and he tried to get me out ASAP.

A total about face!

Buy an after market timeshare in a good location with reasonable fees and you'll be happy. Be careful, as some ski resorts have high annual fees due to the high abuse each unit takes.

Also, try the new Redweek exchange. I deposited a CO week there and received 1800 points.

Good Luck

Thanks for the perfect reply. It makes complete sense and fits well with the experience my sis and I had two years ago. We were both misled, but at least we weren't imagining things that were not planted by agents.

Doug
Jul 04, 2007

Here is a link with a bit of history about II. Read about halfway down the page.

http://www.thetimesharebeat.com/whatis2.htm

Terry H.
Nov 28, 2008

Definately UNTRUE. Our first Marriott week was purchased through Marriott. Our second week was purchased privately from someone right here off of RedWeek. The only hassle was the large law firm that handle ALL their transactions for the area was backlogged about 3 months. We rent and list rather than exchange b/c I actually have had no luck with II on high demand locations. I hate having to use II. They really rooked your S-I-L at Marriott. She could have sold it on Redweek. We let Marriott rent our week ONE time; they took a 50% COMMISSION on the rental! NEVER again! Your only other advantage to buy FROM Marriott is the points they offer you, which is another lousy system to work. You never get enough points in exchange for your week to cover a week somewhere else. The reason we stay with Marriott is because of the OWNERship and resort quality.

C.Eric W.
Nov 28, 2008

There is one exception to the rule about all trading has to be done through II; Florida Club. If you own a week at one of the Fl. resorts you can exchange with in the Fl. club. I have heard rumors from Marriott Sales people that they have been working on a inter-Marriott exchange option. It would sweeten the bitter II experience for me!!

C.Eric W.
Jan 13, 2009

CEW - Can you use you 2nd (privately purchased) week in the II system? I've been told that (by a Marriott sales rep) that the only way to access the II net work was by properties purchased through Marriott..

Tyler H.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.