Timeshare Companies

Starwood Vacation Ownership

Sep 30, 2012

Yes, always look into the 1/2 point and 1/2 cash option, it can make your points/stays and your money go much, much further.

Jaelin M.
Oct 01, 2012

jaelinm wrote:
No, there really is no way to buy a resale, or rather, it wouldn't be worth it financially. We inquired about this when we purchased our ownership and were told that Starwood would require the new purchaser to pay them $35,000 to become part of the Starwood group- that would be in addition to the amount that the purchaser pays the seller. Ultimately, it only makes sense to buy through Starwood because you can buy into the new Cancun development for roughly $35K and you not only have it for life, but you can will it to your kids, or whoever.

All Mexican timeshares are RTU's (Right to Use) for a certain amount of time ..... you do not own Mexican timeshares for life. I wouldn't dream of paying $35K for a membership into ANY timeshare entity.

R P.
Oct 12, 2012

"were told that Starwood would require the new purchaser to pay them $35,000 to become part of the Starwood group"

This is BS. SVR Orlando owners were offered entry into SVN for $500 after the renovations. There are also MANDATORY resorts where you are automatically in SVN. You do not get to convert to hotel points but with what you save you could stay at a lot of hotels. Remember the source... the guy you are asking could lose his commission if you do not buy. The other saying is..."How can you tell if a timeshare sales person is lying... their lips are moving."

Ron D.

Last edited by rond186 on Oct 12, 2012 06:20 AM

Oct 12, 2012

removed - duplicate

Ron D.

Last edited by rond186 on Oct 12, 2012 08:24 AM

Oct 12, 2012

SVN owners can exchange resorts other than their home resort at 8 months out. Owners have an exclusive 12-8 months out.

Atlantis is hard, especially for school breaks. St John can be nearly impossible most times of the year particularly during school breaks. For both hurricane season is easier, just get insurance. As stated, most owners go back year after year. The MF are too high to trade - if the owners don't want to use they most often rent it out. You almost never see them in the exchange companies inventory.

luigik wrote:
Follow the rules, book 10 months out and you´ll have a good shot at Atlantis and Hawaii. St. John is the hardest because Owners there go back each year!

Ron D.
Oct 12, 2012

See above.

Also, you have to look at the number of Staroptions you have - it is not enough to get much at those resorts at any time of year. (81000 SO is a much better number)

donnae74 wrote:
I just bought a timeshare from Orlando Sheraton Vistana. I own 67,100 points or 22000 starpoints. Is it hard to exchange with other Starwood resorts like Atlantis or Hawaii?

Ron D.
Oct 12, 2012

karenn171 wrote:
Yes I have a Starwood Property, I was just in Scottsdale but I own in Rancho Mirage, Ca. I was offered Cancun and the good thing is it has the lowest maintainence fee

Cancun has a lower MF until the developer subsidy disappears, just like other Starwood resorts. Mexico is also a right to use vs deeded unit. Starwood MF also climb annually at a terrible rate. If the sales person told you it was no greater than inflation that was an outright lie. Just ask about how my SBP has gone from $600 to $1400+ /yr. At $200/nt MF AND the original purchase price it is not such a good deal anymore. I just wanted to present a bite of reality.

Ron D.
Dec 30, 2012

Can anyone on redweek advise on maintenance fees at Westin Rancho Mirage? 5-year history (2007-2012)?

Thomas M.
Dec 30, 2012

All the historical MF for all Starwood resorts are posted in a "sticky" at the top of the Starwood forum on TUG. That is the best resource out there.

Ron D.
Apr 24, 2013

What does TUG stand for? I would like to look at records regarding maintenance fees. Thanks

Judy G.
Apr 25, 2013

judyg240 wrote:
What does TUG stand for? Thanks

Timeshare User's Group .... google is your best friend.

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Apr 25, 2013 07:02 AM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.