Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

I worked at a timeshare SCAM....I want to tell you about it.

Apr 06, 2011

bens86 wrote:
Does anyone know anything about timesharehelpinghand.com, also dba Marketing Direct Timeshare Services operating in the Daytona Beach area?
This company told me that they would sell my timeshare within six months. A year later has passed, and nothing. I don't believe they ever called us to communicate the status. You are lucky if they answer when you call them. Worst communicators ever. They don't seem very professional at all.

John H.
Apr 07, 2011

If they were a licensed real estate Broker you could complain to the state. You can also complain to the State if they are not. Resales By Owner in Daytona Beach had to pay back the money they charged. Go to www.ltrba.com and file a complaint.

Judi Kozlowski - Re/Max P.
Apr 25, 2011

Can anyone tell me.....what would happen if I just walked away from my timeshare, never paid a maintenance/assessment payment again??? What can the company do other than harrass me???

Shirley V.
Apr 25, 2011

Has anyone completed a transaction with timesharecomplaints.com? Were you satisfied? How much did they charge? How long did it take before it was finalized??

Shirley V.
Apr 25, 2011

shirleyv21 wrote:
Can anyone tell me.....what would happen if I just walked away from my timeshare, never paid a maintenance/assessment payment again??? What can the company do other than harrass me???

Send collection agencies after you. Your credit history will get affected. I've heard stories (how true they are, I don't know, but...) that the resort can get a court injunction to garnish your wages.

The effect on your credit score/history can domino and lead to other negative results.

If your mortgage and maintenance fees are paid and up-to-date, try advertising your property for $1 or free.

Lance C.
Apr 25, 2011

shirleyv21 wrote:
Has anyone completed a transaction with timesharecomplaints.com? Were you satisfied? How much did they charge? How long did it take before it was finalized??

Timesharecomplaints.com is another one of those Post Card Companies. If you don't know how these companies operate, here's a quick low-down:

You pay them about $2000 or more. They get you to sign a Power of Attorney that signs over authority of your timeshare to them. They will then try to find a taker for your timeshare. So you can see the two obvious problems here:

1) You're paying them thousands of dollars to do what you can do yourself for little or no money.

2) They might not be able to find a taker for your timeshare and then you'll still be stuck with it. That being the case, you'll still be responsible for the maintenance fees.

So, again, I suggest trying to list it for sale for $1 or free. Maybe even offer to pay the next maintenance fee for the next owner as an incentive to take it off your hands. That will work out a lot cheaper than paying timeshare complaints thousands of dollars.

Lance C.
Apr 29, 2011

I used to work in market research. One question often asked was whether various possible prices for a product were "so high you would consider this too expensive to buy" or "so low you would seriously doubt the quality." The ideal price would be high enough to say "Quality" but low enough to say "Good Bargain". That is not bad advice when pricing a timeshare. If you think your property isn't worth anything, why should someone else want it? MD

Mary D.
Apr 30, 2011

adahiscout wrote:
If you think your property isn't worth anything, why should someone else want it? MD

That was good advice in the old days of timesharing, but in this economy many people merely want out of the obligations of rising yearly maintenance fees and possible special assessments .... see my post in 'distressed timeshares' .... it's definitely a quality resort/timeframe that I acquired for free.

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Apr 30, 2011 07:44 AM

Apr 30, 2011

It is fortunate that you were savvy enough to recognize that.MD

Mary D.
May 21, 2011

I have been scammed by these companies. Once I wised up, I contacted my credit card company and they managed to get my money back. After hundreds of hours of online research, I have hired a lawyer and got some results. Donate, donate, donate. But don't go thru the donation sites on the internet. Find a local non-profit organization in your area that you can work with. It could be a win-win situation for everyone. I am donating to a local kids' hockey team. they will be able to sell raffle tickets and someone can go to the Bahamas.........they make money and I will take the donation on my taxes. If you walk away from your maintenance fees, you are setting yourself up for huge trouble. They will stop at nothing to take away everything you own. And everything your kids own. It isn't worth it! Your credit will be ruined and you will never get away from it. Donate. Hire a lawyer and donate. And good luck!

Ellen M.
May 22, 2011

Try Bidshares.com; it is free. What are you dumping?

Rich C.
May 22, 2011

Island Seas, Grand Bahama Island and I'm not 'dumping' it. We would have used it forever but my fiance drowned there a year ago. I can never go back.

Ellen M.
Jun 28, 2011

jayjay wrote:
On the contrary, there are hundreds of timeshare upfront resale companies that have been in business for many years and it seems new ones pop up everyday. There's a goldmine in owning or working at such a company.

Upfront fee resale companies take advantage of desperate people who need/want to sell their timeshare, and many of those people will pay a fee in the hundreds of dollars in the hopes that they will sell their timeshare. Some people have even been scammed twice or more by upfront fee resale companies.

There are very few resale companies that do not charge an upfront fee and the few I've found are listed in the 'no upfront fee resale companies' in this forum. These type companies charge a flat rate ($1500) if they sell your timeshare or 15% of the selling price over a certain amount.

The entire upfront fee resale business needs a major overhaul and getting government agenicies involved is the way to go. If they start getting complaints in the thousands, then they will have to do something.

Quote:
A list of reputable resale Companies and methods of resale would be more useful as the scammers don't last long unless they are big. We know who the big ones are!

Dalila W.
Jun 28, 2011

Not yet. Our friends and ourselves worked with "Resorts Nationwide Inc." which seemed reputable but invariably they had the “fine print” that we missed. Their representatives twisted the words around to make it sound like they would try to sell your property for 6 months, or your money back. Our mistake was not reading the fine print which says, unless you sell it yourself for the sales price you quoted them to sell your property or greater, they agreement is that they will go for another 6 months trying to sell your property. When I told them that I was quoted several time that their guarantee was a “money back” given to me verbally, they just told me to read my contract that we signed. So the moral is don’t work with scam artist (i.e. "Resorts Nationwide Inc." ) who will twist words to make the service sound awesome in hopes like most busy people, you won’t read the “fine print”. So Read the fine print and keep asking several questions in several scenarios and if you can tape your conversations on your phone calls.

Dalila W.
Jun 30, 2011

Hi All, I am getting unrealistic values for our timeshare in vegas. These range from 5,000 to 33,000. Can anyone tell me how to sell a timeshare and find the right value. what is the difference between a listing company and a marketing company. Also I got a phone call from "exclusive sales". Anyone know about this company, any scams ,how legit it is etc.

San Y.
Jun 30, 2011

Here is the secret. If you are selling a timeshare DO NOT GIVE ANYONE YOUR CREDIT CARD. If you are buying that is ok but if you are SELLING you are stupid to give someone your credit card number. They will have you sign something that is totally different than what they told you. The only question you should ask is do you want my credit card number if I am selling. If they say yes then hang up. They are lying to you, No matter what they tell you they are lying. PERIOD. You don't need to research these companies. Go to www.ltrba.com and deal with a licensed timeshare resale broker.

Jul 01, 2011

sany wrote:
Hi All, I am getting unrealistic values for our timeshare in vegas. These range from 5,000 to 33,000. Can anyone tell me how to sell a timeshare and find the right value. what is the difference between a listing company and a marketing company. Also I got a phone call from "exclusive sales". Anyone know about this company, any scams ,how legit it is etc.

The value of any given timeshare is what someone is willing to pay .... in this economy some weeks can't even be given away. You've been told the unrealistic values from upfront fee resale company parasites .... they would sell their own mother for your credit card # and your upfront fee because that's all they want .... your upfront fee.

R P.
Jul 01, 2011

What dealings have you had with the site you suggested? ltrba.com, that is, Judi? MD

Mary D.

Last edited by adahiscout on Jul 01, 2011 06:45 PM

Jul 01, 2011

adahiscout wrote:
What dealings have you had with the site you suggested? ltrba.com, that is, Judi? MD

The site is Licensed Timeshare Reslae Brokers Association. I have had many dealings with them. These are all Real estate agents or Brokers who do not charge upfront fees. What other information would you like?

Jul 03, 2011

Do they get paid as a percentage of the sale price? Roughly what percentage? MD

Mary D.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.