Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

I worked at a timeshare SCAM....I want to tell you about it.

Nov 23, 2011

I received a phone call from Realty Executive Escrow that said that they had a buyer for my fractional ownership in Mexico.They are working with All City Management group and they sent a contract to sign for them to go ahead with deal.I signed the contract then they wanted 10% up front and 8% after the sale.The 8% I had no problem with but I am not giving them 2500 hundred dollars up front.They say that I will have to pay 8% to them because I signed the contract.I'm certain this is a scam and I am not paying anything.Has anyone had this happen with these people or others? Gerry

Gerry L.
Nov 23, 2011

gerryl30 wrote:
I received a phone call from Realty Executive Escrow that said that they had a buyer for my fractional ownership in Mexico....Has anyone had this happen with these people or others? Gerry

The fact that you received a phone call from them is the first red flag. Legitimate resellers do not need to go calling timeshare (or fractional) owners to drum up business.

You mentioned $2500 as 10% upfront. By my math, that means that they are saying your fractional ownership in Mexico is being sold for $25000. Way overpriced. No timeshare/fractional in Mexico is being sold on the resale market for that much. That's the second red flag --- telling you they can sell or rent out your unit for way above market value.

You asked if anyone else has had this happen to him or her? Unfortunately, we see and hear of this all the time on boards like these.

You are certain that this is a scam. I am just as certain!

By the way, if they want to come after you for the 8%($2000), what do you think the chances are that they will try to get it from you? They're a scam! Can you imagine them going to the law authorities claiming that you're not falling for their scam?

Lance C.
Dec 21, 2011

Since you are remorseful and feel bad you won't mind telling us the timeshare SCAM company that you worked for. I have been scammed by 2 different companies and was wondering if either are the one you worked for. It sickens me that people steal from us!!!!!!!!!!!

Deana E.
Dec 21, 2011

I am interested in how you got your money back too. I have filed a complaint with the BBB of Florida. They are waiting for a response from the timeshare company. They have until December 29, 2011. What suggestions do you have for us victims?

Deana E.
Dec 22, 2011

The BBB is about as useful as an ice cube is to an Eskimo living in an igloo. The BBB will do nothing for you nor will it convict the scam artist.

What you have to do is report this to the Attorney-General of the state where the scam artist is located.

Lance C.
Dec 27, 2011

I received a phone call from a company that wants to buy my timesharein mexico. The company is trible events and services. the escrow compnay is cambell and klein financial holdings out of lafayette La. they are moving quick. does anyone know of any buying scams?

Jorge G.
Dec 27, 2011

jorgeg47 wrote:
I received a phone call from a company that wants to buy my timesharein mexico. The company is trible events and services. the escrow compnay is cambell and klein financial holdings out of lafayette La. they are moving quick. does anyone know of any buying scams?

I know of many "buying" scams. People report about these here all the time. It's the same MO over and over again.

The fact that you received a phone call is the first red flag. Scam artists do this all the time. Legitimate offers do not call you unexpectedly.

As for the escrow company, why would you have to put any money into escrow? Can you think of any transaction where the seller has to put money into escrow?

I'm assuming they are offering to buy it from you for a ridiculously high price. That's another one of their methods. Their goal is to paralyze you with excitement and stop you from thinking rationally. once they have you hooked, they will slip in some sort of bogus (but legitimate-sounding) fee that you will have to pay in order for these alleged proceeds from the sale to be released to you.

Don't fall for it!

Lance C.
Dec 28, 2011

lancec13 wrote:
jorgeg47 wrote:

I know of many "buying" scams. People report about these here all the time. It's the same MO over and over again.

The fact that you received a phone call is the first red flag. Scam artists do this all the time. Legitimate offers do not call you unexpectedly.

As for the escrow company, why would you have to put any money into escrow? Can you think of any transaction where the seller has to put money into escrow?

I'm assuming they are offering to buy it from you for a ridiculously high price. That's another one of their methods. Their goal is to paralyze you with excitement and stop you from thinking rationally. once they have you hooked, they will slip in some sort of bogus (but legitimate-sounding) fee that you will have to pay in order for these alleged proceeds from the sale to be released to you.

Don't fall for it!

Judi Kozlowski - Re/Max P.
Dec 30, 2011

I received a call from a "financial" institution that was listed with an A- rating on BBB. They had a buyer, but I needed to pay for title search and that money would be returned upon completion of the sale. He would have a member from finance call me. He emailed me a contract stating that I would pay in access of $2000 in advance by check or money order. In addition the buyer was supposed to put up a 20% fee. The call came in on a toll free number but he gave me the number on the BBB site to call him back. I have not and will not sign anything. Out of curiosity I called the number, not the toll free number but the Las Vegas number and it is no longer in service. Guess he thought his part was finished and I would not try to call him back. Sometimes they do answer and even if they have a good BBB rating all that has to be done is resolve one complaint and have no others filed to get a good rating. Rating can go down very fast after you check them.

DO NOT FALL FOR ANYTHING, I HAVE DONE IT BEFORE AND IT IS NO FUN WASTING YOUR MONEY ON THIS

Check out www.redweek.com They will tell you that your property is worthless. There are actually people trying to sell on ebay.

D A.

Last edited by da130 on Dec 30, 2011 07:52 AM

Jan 02, 2012

There's actually a lot of these timeshare scams being reported lately. But I don't think there should be any more victim to this since the scam's already obvious. If you read at http://www.callercenter.com, this scam's all over the site. Don't you think it's about time people smarten up?

William R.
Jan 02, 2012

You have to realize that there are still people out there that fall for the Nigerian Lottery scam. The difference is that the people falling for the lottery scam do so out of greed. The ones that get ripped off by these scams do so out of desperation. They want to get out of their obligation for fees so badly that they are willing to risk a few thousand dollars. I plan on researching different options for people to get out of their timeshares without getting ripped off by the scammers. I'm am going to ask a few other owners to come up with some solutions. Let's all work together on this project and hopefully we can put some good ideas to work.

Don P.
Jan 02, 2012

I was scammed a few months ago and have paid over six thousand dollars for points I can't even use. Do you have any advice for me in how to get out of my contract. I hate to pay a company over three thousand dollars to help me get out as well. Please give me any advise that you have.

Lucinda W.
Jan 14, 2012

I am about to attend this webinar from Timeshare Cure in about an hour. I am in financial hardship and cannot afford to pay yearly maintenance fee. I want to get rid of our timeshare. Please advise

Divine M.
Jan 14, 2012

divinem wrote:
I am about to attend this webinar from Timeshare Cure in about an hour. I am in financial hardship and cannot afford to pay yearly maintenance fee. I want to get rid of our timeshare. Please advise

We received a flyer from them too. Let us know what their plan of attack is.

Bruce Z.
Jan 14, 2012

Wondering why you can't use the points you bought,Lucinda. Just that you don't have the time to travel or something else? Did you buy from the developer or resale? MD

Mary D.
Jan 15, 2012

bruce727 wrote:
We received a flyer from them too. Let us know what their plan of attack is.

"Their plan of attack is" likely that they will give you a lengthy sermon about how burdensome it is to own a timeshare and how difficult it is to get rid of.

Then, their solution to "cancel" your timeshare contract would be for you to pay them thousands of dollars to "cancel" it for you. Or, they may misleadingly tell you that they will take over ownership for you.

However, what they really do is get you to sign a Power of Attorney that will authorize them to do what they want with it. They will try to find a buyer or taker for it by listing it on E-bay or other cheap (or free) listing sites. The important thing to remember is that, while they are looking for a buyer/taker, you still remain the legal owner on record and are responsible for maintenance fees & special assessments.

If you want to get rid of your timeshare, you can do these steps yourself for a lot less money.

Lance C.
Jan 28, 2012

I bought a Time Share a few yrs ago and wanted to get out of it. I am dealing with "Time Share Support" who charged me over 2K and promised to create some legal papers to cancel the TS. They already took my money and asked me to sign the invoice, which I haven't done. Have you heard about this Company? Should I called the credit card Co to cancel this transaction?

Lita C.
Jan 29, 2012

Don't give anyone $$ to sell your timeshare, it's probably a scam. If they want to sell it for you, tell them they can take the commision out AFTER they sell it and they can pay for the advertising. If they don't want to do that then sell it yourself on Redweek. My timeshare co. warns us to NEVER put $$ up front because it's probably a scam. And they're probably right!

Karen N.
Jan 29, 2012

I received a call from a time share company in Orlando. Didnt catch the name. I think they mumble it on purpose. They had buyers who were interested in my 1 bedroom unit and its on Odd years. They said they could probably get about $20 thou for it. I said it sounded too good to be true and said I was so excited. I would have to call my husband who works at a local Sheriffs dept and wasnt always available to talk. They should call me back in an hour or two. Never heard back. Had another call from Kingston Jamaica. I had won a large lottery and should mail them a bank check to arrange for the money. They wanted $3000.00. I told them to send me a bank check for the lottery win and I would then mail them their fee. They hung up. You too can play their game.

me from Kingston Jamaica.

Sheila M.
Jan 30, 2012

I wrote to the AG, and they don't do much for you either. I just got a letter saying they would keep it on file.

Annette R.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.