Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

I worked at a timeshare SCAM....I want to tell you about it.

Jan 28, 2014

susani67 wrote:
His CA State Bar Association and his CA Real Estate Brokers licenses are both clean - no complaints lodged. His retainer retainer asks for a flat fee of $750, refundable if he cannot get you out of your timeshare. With all that's going on with timeshares, I'm still nervous about hiring him. There's no mention of him in any of the forums that I've found s contrao far.

If you signed a legally binding contract when buying your timeshare then there's no attorney (or any other entity) that can relieve you of that ownership.

R P.
Jan 28, 2014

jayjay wrote:
susani67 wrote:
His CA State Bar Association and his CA Real Estate Brokers licenses are both clean - no complaints lodged. His retainer retainer asks for a flat fee of $750, refundable if he cannot get you out of your timeshare. With all that's going on with timeshares, I'm still nervous about hiring him. There's no mention of him in any of the forums that I've found s contrao far.

If you signed a legally binding contract when buying your timeshare then there's no attorney (or any other entity) that can relieve you of that ownership.

If someone can afford an attorney they might have a case given the set precedent for successful cases against illegal activity in the timeshare world (e.g. elder abuse, coercion, contract of adhesion). Under threat of a lawsuit or investigation do you think most timeshare companies would try to battle over one timeshare? I know timeshare companies are notoriously ruthless, but with enough pressure it seems like they would throw their hands up and move on to take advantage of someone even less fortunate. Like people who can't afford an attorney, and really will be stuck with the timeshare.

J V.
Jan 28, 2014

For $750 I expect that he would send a form letter to the developer requesting you be released from your obligation.

You would need to read the contract to see under what conditions your money would be refunded. My guess is that it would be difficult to get your money refunded. Most of the TS that would release you after a simple request from an attorney would be willing to release you if you made the request yourself.

Tracey S.
Jan 28, 2014

It's common for attorneys to ask for a partial retainer up front. Think of it from their standpoint. You are a new client to the attorney, and the attorney does not know for sure whether you will pay. I would be sure the contract you sign with the attorney is tight on the issue of a refundable fee. I would also ask the attorney whether he can refer you to other clients he has gotten out of timeshares successfully. The fact that there is a clean record with the bar association is a good sign. I would just take a couple extra steps to protect yourself.

John B.
Jan 29, 2014

One more time, If you signed a legally binding contract when buying your timeshare then there's no attorney (or any other entity) that can relieve you of that ownership unless fraud can be proven. What's said in a presentation holds holds no bearing in a court of law .... only the written and signed contract.

R P.
Jan 30, 2014

Jayjay -- That is not entirely true as I have seen attorneys negotiate owners out of timeshare owneships. I depends on how the contract is written, which varies from company to company.

John B.
Jan 30, 2014

John, your attorney got you out of your timeshare due to the fact you were never able to reserve a week (this was because it was a floating week .... if you had bought a fixed week this would not have been an issue) at the very popular Manhattan Club in NYC. They took it back because they knew they could easily resell it.

You cannot say, across the board, that any attorney can get anyone out of their timeshare contract at any resort .... sounds to me like you're advertising your attorney .... it's just not so. You had a valid reason in not being able to reserve time .... that's why they took your contract back.

R P.
Jan 30, 2014

JayJay -- You are right. I did have a valid reason. But in the guts of each timeshare contract, there are other ways to get an owner out. It varies from timeshare to timeshare, and how the contract reads. That's the point I was trying to make. Not every timeshare uses the same contract, and each state has laws applying to timeshare that differ as well. Regarding the attorney element, I never would have gotten out of my contract quickly without an attorney. I tried for a year with The Manhattan Club, and was put on a so-called "waiting list." Yes, if you want to wait, you can negotiate with them on your own. But I had neither the time nor patience.

John B.
Jan 31, 2014

Doesn't matter what's written in a contract .... if a buyer signs it then it's legally valid .... if one doesn't agree with what's included in the contract then don't sign it.

R P.
Jan 31, 2014

NOT TRUE.....ANY GOOD ATTORNEY CAN PROVE ON ANY TIMESHARE FRAUD...YOU CAN GET OUT OF IT

jayjay wrote:
One more time, If you signed a legally binding contract when buying your timeshare then there's no attorney (or any other entity) that can relieve you of that ownership unless fraud can be proven. What's said in a presentation holds holds no bearing in a court of law .... only the written and signed contract.

James J.
Feb 01, 2014

JayJay -- You keep making the same comments here. I do not believe you are a lawyer, nor understand contract law. Don't take it personally. I just have seen many people relieved of their timeshare contracts successfully with an attorney who knows how to negotiate through contracts. It's not as black and white as you seem to think.

John B.
Feb 02, 2014

johnb2353 wrote:
JayJay -- You keep making the same comments here. I do not believe you are a lawyer, nor understand contract law. Don't take it personally. I just have seen many people relieved of their timeshare contracts successfully with an attorney who knows how to negotiate through contracts. It's not as black and white as you seem to think.

Problem is that for every honest lawyer who can get some out of the contract they signed (but even they can't get them all out of their contracts), there are 5-10 scammers claiming to be able to. The scammers also have dozens of Peggy shills pretending to be satisfied customers.

In any case it is certainly in your best interest to try to negotiate yourself with the HOA and/or developer before paying someone else. If your timeshare is in Mexico, US lawyers aren't going to be able to do much and the Mexican scammer numbers are probably more than 20 to 1.

Tracey S.
Feb 02, 2014

Tracey -- I would agree regarding Mexico. I would never even buy a timeshare there, despite the fact that there are many appealing locations. The corruption is just too high.

John B.
Feb 02, 2014

johnb2353 wrote:
I would never even buy a timeshare there, despite the fact that there are many appealing locations. The corruption is just too high.

Most people would never buy there. Many current owners in Mexico currently have buyer's/owner's remorse. But we all know the stories about how many just wanting to take a quick getaway, leisure trip to a nearby, sunny, economical destination get roped into buying a worthless timeshare.

The scam artists know this and exploit such owners. One of the big scams is "let us get you out of your timeshare agreement". Many desperate owners fall for these so-called law firms.

This is one of the reasons why posters are here on RedWeek forums - to help people avoid falling for such scams and to steer them in the right direction, how to sell or give away their timeshare legally, ethically, and economically.

Lance C.
Feb 02, 2014

There are also a lot of people who own Mexican timeshares and travel to Mexico 1-5 weeks a year (snowbirds from both the US and Canada) who love what they own and may wish they paid a little less if they bought from the developer but are generally very satisfied. Yes there are scammers but I think it is easier to find a reputable resort (and in most cases reasonably priced resales) than it is to find a reputable US or Mexican lawyer who can get you out of a contract after the rescission period is over.

Tracey S.
Mar 08, 2014

PLEASE give me her email address, and any credible proof about this person. I have been scammed twice. I paid SELLmytimeshareNow $500 only because the Sales Representative, who was Not credible or a salesperson, but in another position. He promised & emailed that If my TS was NOT SOLD w/n 3 -6 months, they would refund MY MONEY. I could take refund or keep listing for another 6 mos.( TS should sell by then). The Co. hasnt sold my TS. It has been 3+yrs. They do relist my TS on their Website w/modification per my request. They did try to FEATUR my 1 BR TS after a year. I need to Sell this. MFs increased. TS is nice, but 150mi away. PLEASE include your fees.

joannc110 wrote:
ronc207 wrote:
We have purchased 15 resale contracts and Sue at "Timeshare Closings for Less" in Orlando, FL handled at least 10 of those transfers. She is very good to work with and is very thorough. We will use them again when we start to sell some of our 6+ million points over the next year or so.

If anyone wants contact information, I will provide that if requested.

does she help sell the timeshare? that would be great if she could help me

Cocj H.
Mar 08, 2014

I contacted the timeshare we own and ask if they would take it back because we could no longer use it because of aging and limited in our travel. The timeshare was with Holiday Inn Vacations, a great timeshare never had any problem booking our timeshare. They sent a surrender form I sign and return it that is it. It did not cost us any money they took care of everything even sent prepaid Fedx Express envelope. Hope this will help someone trying to surrender their time share.

Marilyn W.
Mar 09, 2014

marilynw83 wrote:
I contacted the timeshare we own and ask if they would take it back ....They sent a surrender form I sign and return it that is it. It did not cost us any money they took care of everything even sent prepaid Fedx Express envelope. Hope this will help someone trying to surrender their time share.

Thanks for your experience. This is one piece of advice that's often offered to people who are trying to get out of their timeshare. Try asking the resort if it will take the unit back.

Some will, some won't. Sometimes they will agree at one time but not at another time. It doesn't hurt to ask.

If the resort won't take it back, then try giving the unit away. There's no need to hire any PCCs,charities, or law firms to get you out of your timeshare ownership.

Lance C.
Mar 09, 2014

@lancec13 : could you please recommend any company / or person who will accept donation of the Manhattan Club Unit? The Manhattan Club fess $2000-2500. Thank you

Fibo N.
Mar 09, 2014

fibon wrote:
@lancec13 : could you please recommend any company / or person who will accept donation of the Manhattan Club Unit? The Manhattan Club fess $2000-2500. Thank you

You can try www.donateforacause.com but they will charge you a hefty fee if they take it.

R P.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.