preview the new redweek.com!

Starwood Points

Forum: Point Systems

page 1 of 2

«prev page   1 2   next page»

Message Author

Starwood Points

Hello, I am interested in purchasing at a Starwood resort so that I can exchange into starwood points and then into airmiles (BA or Virgin). Does anyone where the best place to buy would be to get 80,000 starwood points every year?

I know that if you trade 20,000 points to airmiles, they give you 5,000 free so this seems very good.

Thanks

Avatar for martinr10 martinr10

7 years ago
May 11, 2007

martinr10 wrote:
Hello, I am interested in purchasing at a Starwood resort so that I can exchange into starwood points and then into airmiles (BA or Virgin). Does anyone where the best place to buy would be to get 80,000 starwood points every year?

I know that if you trade 20,000 points to airmiles, they give you 5,000 free so this seems very good.

Thanks

I own a 2 bedroom LO at Westin Kierland. I have 148,100 Star Option points to trade within the Starwood Vacation Network. I have exchanged my Star Options for Star Points. I receive 72,000 points ($99 fee to exchange). You can also earn additional Star Points on a Starwood Preferred Guest American Express Credit Card. I have used my Star Points to stay in Starwood hotels in Europe. I have not used them for airline tickets though.

Check out this website to see Star Options for resort / villa type. Drill down to Resort Collection / Overview / Villas / Download Resort Fact Sheet. Last page of fact sheet has Star Options value. I'm not sure if the ratio of Star Options to Star Points is the same for all resorts / villas, but it gives you a starting point. http://www.starwoodvacationownership.com/index.jsp

Avatar for carol444 carol444

7 years ago
May 11, 2007

carol444,

what has your experience with starwood been like? do you find it easy to book villas (either your home villa or network villas) using your options or book hotel rooms using your points. i'm thinking about buying an every other year villa through starwood in kauai, but am new to the whole time share thing...my parents had interval and they hate how they can never exchange their timeshare for other destinations

Avatar for josaiahp josaiahp

6 years ago
Jan 29, 2008

Depend on where your parents' timeshare is, I have timeshare from starwood in the paradise island, bahamas, so far it is ok for me to book every year even book it out of my season, I haven't try to book the network villas yet, because my kids still want to go to Harborside, atlantis in the bahamas. I guess if you have a good timeshare, popular location like atlantis, it's not hard to exchange.

Avatar for bananap bananap

6 years ago
Feb 29, 2008

josaiahp wrote:
carol444,

what has your experience with starwood been like? do you find it easy to book villas (either your home villa or network villas) using your options or book hotel rooms using your points. i'm thinking about buying an every other year villa through starwood in kauai, but am new to the whole time share thing...my parents had interval and they hate how they can never exchange their timeshare for other destinations

I have had good luck, but I am flexible in my travel dates. Here are my stays so far:

Westin St. John 2BR March 2005 for 1 week - made reservation 8 months prior. Sheraton Vistana Orlando 1BR Oct 2005 for 3 nights - made res. 3 months prior. Westin Kaanapali 1BR May 2007for 5 nights - made res. 1 month prior. Westin Kaanapali 1BR Nov 2007 for 1 week - made res. 5 months prior.

Next I will try for 2BR at Harborside for a stay in March 2009. I heard this is the hardest resort to get. I will be calling 8 months out for the reservation. I heard St. John's is second hardest and I had luck in 2005.

I trade for Starpoints every other year for travel to Europe. I have not had problems finding rooms and I have even booked some a day or two before I needed them (summer and fall travel).

Avatar for carol444 carol444

6 years ago
Mar 13, 2008

Does anyone know if this company offers starwood points? http://www.oceaniaresorts.com they are located in Myrtle Beach and I know they signed with a major supplier just don't know which one.

Thanks

Last edit by randyz7 on Mar 14, 2008 02:44 PM.

Avatar for randyz7 randyz7

6 years ago
Mar 14, 2008

I have had great success with starpoints for hotels (even last minute) and staroptions except at really peak times like Spring Break unless it is booked really early. The use of starpoints for travel is not a good investment when you look at the dollar value. It is great to have the feature for topping off your airline account or for less than last minute trips since they take a couple weeks to transfer.

One thing we did find out when we tried to sell our timeshare is the secondary buyer loses the starpoint option. You can only get that buying directly from Starwood. They always offer so many Starpoints that it is a real bargain to do so.

We have had pretty good success with II and terrible with RCI.

Avatar for arturia arturia

6 years ago
Mar 17, 2008

randyz7 wrote:
Does anyone know if this company offers starwood points? http://www.oceaniaresorts.com they are located in Myrtle Beach and I know they signed with a major supplier just don't know which one.

Thanks

The Sheraton Plantation Resort is in Myrtle Beach and is expanding but Starpoints and StarOptions are available through Starwood Vacation Ownership (SVO) purchases. Only Options are passed along in the after market sales of these ownerships.

Avatar for arturia arturia

6 years ago
Mar 17, 2008

randyz7 wrote:
Does anyone know if this company offers starwood points? http://www.oceaniaresorts.com they are located in Myrtle Beach and I know they signed with a major supplier just don't know which one.

Thanks

They absolutely do not offer starwood points they are a not a reliable name brand company and only starwood offers starpoints themselves.

Avatar for sarahj72 sarahj72

6 years ago
Apr 21, 2008

Do you still have some Starwood points? Would you be interested in exschanging some for products or services available thru my barter membership, things like brand new dell and mac computers, airline tix, electronics, Marriott hotels, Ritz Carlton hotels, dental services, car rentals, etc....? john

carol444 wrote:
martinr10 wrote:
Hello, I am interested in purchasing at a Starwood resort so that I can exchange into starwood points and then into airmiles (BA or Virgin). Does anyone where the best place to buy would be to get 80,000 starwood points every year?

I know that if you trade 20,000 points to airmiles, they give you 5,000 free so this seems very good.

Thanks

I own a 2 bedroom LO at Westin Kierland. I have 148,100 Star Option points to trade within the Starwood Vacation Network. I have exchanged my Star Options for Star Points. I receive 72,000 points ($99 fee to exchange). You can also earn additional Star Points on a Starwood Preferred Guest American Express Credit Card. I have used my Star Points to stay in Starwood hotels in Europe. I have not used them for airline tickets though.

Check out this website to see Star Options for resort / villa type. Drill down to Resort Collection / Overview / Villas / Download Resort Fact Sheet. Last page of fact sheet has Star Options value. I'm not sure if the ratio of Star Options to Star Points is the same for all resorts / villas, but it gives you a starting point. http://www.starwoodvacationownership.com/index.jsp

Avatar for johnc1069 johnc1069

6 years ago
Jul 27, 2008

I couldn't access the link. Could you please double check the link or help me find this information on resorts vs star points/options? It would be greatly appreciated.

Avatar for dk96 dk96

5 years ago
Jan 11, 2009

dk96 wrote:
I couldn't access the link. Could you please double check the link or help me find this information on resorts vs star points/options? It would be greatly appreciated.

You can also access www.tugbbs.com where they have an entire Starwood forum.

Avatar for jayjay jayjay

5 years ago
Jan 11, 2009

If i was selling starwoods points, how much do they go for? Someone wants to buy them from me and we both dont know how much they go for. all suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

Avatar for bonf bonf

5 years ago
Feb 03, 2009

bonf wrote:
If i was selling starwoods points, how much do they go for? Someone wants to buy them from me and we both dont know how much they go for. all suggestions are greatly appreciated!!
See jayjay's previous post. You should be able to get a good answer from the Starwood thread.

Are you just selling some points on a one-time basis OR are you selling the TS itself?

Last edit by mike1536 on Feb 03, 2009 05:37 AM.

Avatar for mike1536 mike1536

5 years ago
Feb 03, 2009

Message deleted.

Avatar for bonf bonf

5 years ago
Feb 03, 2009

I judge the value by looking at the SPG site as if I was booking a hotel room and find the room and look at the point value and the room cost. Seems as if the 7000 point rooms are about $129-199 per night in most markets and of course you don't pay any taxes. I don't know about outright selling the points but booking the room for a guest and getting reimbursed. They would have to have access to your account to use them otherwise or you might be able to transfer them to their account. Don't know if that is an option though.

I would value 13000 points at less than $400.

Anne

Avatar for arturia arturia

5 years ago
Feb 03, 2009

Message deleted.

Avatar for js886 js886

5 years ago
Mar 27, 2009

Message deleted.

Avatar for js886 js886

5 years ago
Mar 27, 2009

Message deleted.

Avatar for lizad12 lizad12

5 years ago
Jul 21, 2009

There are two different currencies in the Starwood System....

1) StarOptions - The currency for timeshare stays 2) StarPoints - The currency for hotel stays.

If you bought your timeshare from the developer, you can generally trade your StarOptions for StarPoints, although it is generally bad economics to do so.

There is no scenario where you can trade StarPoints for StarOptions.

Avatar for steves91 steves91

5 years ago
Jul 23, 2009

page 1 of 2

«prev page   1 2   next page»

Reply to Topic

Available only to RedWeek.com Guests
Log in or sign up for free

I Want To…

Attention Gmail Users

Google Phishing Scam »

Casting Call

Get free, professional photos of your next timeshare vacation!

Learn more »