The Historic Powhatan Resort

History of Powhatan Plantation

May 21, 2007

The history of this land and plantation should be made of more interest to people. There is very little my husband and I have seen on this topic on our recent visits here. Our visits were however enjoyed by our talks with Zach as he was certainly a wealth of information on some of the history of the plantation. My husband is a descendant of the Egglestons who came to Virginia as early as the 1600s and owned the plantation long before Taliaferro built the house that is now standing. We have some history of Powhatan and are looking for other descendants that may possibly have more.

Joyce R.
Jul 16, 2011

joycer54 wrote:
The history of this land and plantation should be made of more interest to people. There is very little my husband and I have seen on this topic on our recent visits here. Our visits were however enjoyed by our talks with Zach as he was certainly a wealth of information on some of the history of the plantation. My husband is a descendant of the Egglestons who came to Virginia as early as the 1600s and owned the plantation long before Taliaferro built the house that is now standing. We have some history of Powhatan and are looking for other descendants that may possibly have more.

Please email me at joe@gardnercpa.net

Thanks,

Joseph Eggleston Gardner (Joe)

Joseph Eggleston G.
Dec 17, 2017

My family was enslaved and I believe mixed blood with the Egglestons due to obvious reasons. Martha Lawerence had children there up until 1867. What lead to the demise if any demise of the Eggleston family Plantation besides the end of exploitive slave labor? Thanks any info would be appreciated.

Dee H.

Last edited by deeh111 on Dec 17, 2017 03:49 PM

Dec 17, 2017

deeh111 wrote:
My family was enslaved and I believe mixed blood with the Egglestons due to obvious reasons. Martha Lawerence had children there up until 1867. What lead to the demise if any demise of the Eggleston family Plantation besides the end of exploitive slave labor? Thanks any info would be appreciated.

Would enjoy contacting you about your post.

joe@gardnercpa.net

Joe Gardner

Joseph Eggleston G.
Dec 18, 2017

I have journals dating back to the1700's of the Eggleston family. It gives the names of slaves and info on where they are living, and items that they are given, such as clothing, etc. Are you looking for any specific information?

Joyce R.
Dec 18, 2017

How could I get copies. I have found a cousin whose G-G-G-Grandfather came to Mississippi in 1840 from Virginia.

sincerely,

Joe Gardner joe@gardnercpa.net

joycer54 wrote:
I have journals dating back to the1700's of the Eggleston family. It gives the names of slaves and info on where they are living, and items that they are given, such as clothing, etc. Are you looking for any specific information?

Joseph Eggleston G.
Mar 23, 2018

Hello, I am David with Virginia Paranormal Occurrence Research. I run the ghost tour at the Manor House. I would really be interested in some of the history of the place such as names. I recently had a guest say the name of a girl up stairs by the name of Sara aged 7 and another name of Trevor around the year of 1712. Anything you can provide would be greatly appreciated. my email address is Vapor757.David@aol.com

Thank you, David

David F.
Dec 14, 2018

I am an Eggleston and im in Texas and i can trace the Egglestons back to the 1630s . It was my relatives who settled there. My dad got a family tree book ill try get from himm i know alot of the history as well. My email is jeggleston8088@gmail.com if want to email me. Ya we got tons of history . Thanks

Sideshow E.
Dec 15, 2018

Hello, Thank you for your reply. I am always interested in Eggleston history. I have family Bible and journals dating back to 1700's. I would like to hear more . I would like to contact you again perhaps in a month or so, as we have had a death in family. Thank you again and please keep in touch or contact me again at a later date.

Joyce R.
Dec 15, 2018

Joyce,

How do I contact you?

Joe Gardner

(Joseph Eggleston Gardner)

joe@gardnercpa.net

joycer54 wrote:
Hello, Thank you for your reply. I am always interested in Eggleston history. I have family Bible and journals dating back to 1700's. I would like to hear more . I would like to contact you again perhaps in a month or so, as we have had a death in family. Thank you again and please keep in touch or contact me again at a later date.

Joseph Eggleston G.
Apr 20, 2019

I too am in Texas. My grandfather was leonard (Lucky) Eggleston. I too would love to have any information you could share on the family. I can catch you up on the past few generations and current living descendants THANK YOU. KELLY SMITH APEXONSHORE1@GMAIL.COM.

Kelly S.
Aug 09, 2019

I am related to the Egglestons, too, Do you have information that you would be willing to share? You may respond directly to my email—portabellos@twcny.rr.com.

Sincerely,

Debbie Kantor

joeg275 wrote:
Joyce,

How do I contact you?

Joe Gardner

(Joseph Eggleston Gardner)

joe@gardnercpa.net

joycer54 wrote:

Debbie K.
Aug 09, 2019

I am descended from Egglestons. Are you willing to share this information. I am coming to Powhatan 8/15/19 to 8/16/19.

Sincerely,

Debbie Kantor Potabellos@twcny.rr.com

joycer54 wrote:

Debbie K.
Sep 27, 2019

I am an Eggleston of Powhatan Plantation and was interested in your 2018 message. Do you know where your ancestors lived in the 1800s? There were no Egglestons left in James City County after about 1800 but there was a family in New Kent nearby. (The last James City man had only daughters.) Email me at bobeggl@gmail.com

Robert E.
Sep 27, 2019

I am an Eggleston of Powhatan Plantation and read with interest your December 2018 note. I first visited the place when the Slaussen family still lived there in the 1940s, What is the source of the family documents you have ?

Robert E.
Sep 27, 2019

My family are descendants as well. Some are still alive in Carlsbad NM. Here is my email. If you would send me yours and I can share what I have. Regards. Kelly Smith

Apexonshore1@gmail.com

Kelly S.
Oct 23, 2019

David, just happened to see your post while searching around for info on Powhatan. My brother and his family used to live in the manor house before it was restored, and before the condos were built. He never believed in ghosts before he lived there. Now he says there was something there. His wife has always believed, and says she saw some things there. Have you ever seen anything when conducting the tours? Also, who is buried in the lone grave on the grounds.? It was a woman, correct? Thank you, Hermetta Pillion

Hermetta P.
Oct 24, 2019

I have seen and heard quite a bit as far as the paranormal goes at the plantation. The grave at Powhatan is the last fully marked grave on the property. It is the grave of Eliza Ward. She died in 1849. She is from New York. Her family were tenant farmers at near by Green Springs plantation. Since they didn't own the property the were not allowed to bury her there. They got the permission to bury he at Powhatan.

hermettap wrote:
David, just happened to see your post while searching around for info on Powhatan. My brother and his family used to live in the manor house before it was restored, and before the condos were built. He never believed in ghosts before he lived there. Now he says there was something there. His wife has always believed, and says she saw some things there. Have you ever seen anything when conducting the tours? Also, who is buried in the lone grave on the grounds.? It was a woman, correct? Thank you, Hermetta Pillion

David F.
Feb 23, 2021

Please contact me concerning the slave names for the Eggleston Plantation.

Rick Winer

rickwiner0212@gmail.com

Rick W.
Feb 23, 2021

Joyce,

Please contact me. My name is Joseph Eggleston Gardner. I have information too and would love to talk to you about what information you have. Please call or email. joe@gardnercpa.net

joycer54 wrote:

Joseph Eggleston G.

Last edited by phyl21 on Feb 23, 2021 08:14 PM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.