Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Recent Mayan Palace Nuevo Vallarta purchase at resort ? Anybody have some good/bad things to say about Mayan Palaces ??

Jun 05, 2007

I have recently purchased a buy 2 weeks get 2 additional weeks with Mayan Palace Resorts in Nuevo. We signed a waiver of maintenance fee's that if we do not use the weeks we do not have to pay for the weeks. After arriving back home I read some scams that Mayan Palace has done but never read anything about people signing waivers for the weeks not used. Has anybody have anything good/bad to say about the Mayan Palaces ???

Sheila G.
Jul 19, 2007

We own 3 weeks with Mayan Palace, all three come with Vacation Fair options. Meaning, we can use a second week, or 6 total weeks, based on availability just by paying an extra maintenance fee. If we don't use them, we don't pay. We still have to pay for the first three weeks however, whether or not we use them. I really love the Mayan Palace, however I don't like the fact that we have to pay an additional maintenance fair every five years or five extra every 25 years. That being said, the resorts (I've only been to Nuevo and Riviera Maya) are beautiful, the service superb, and I just love these resorts. I know that alot of people complain because they felt like they were tricked or forced into buying from the salespeople and after figuring out the total cost of vacations over the next 25 years, well, I think they have buyers remorse and become angry. But for those that want the vacation and paid what they felt the vacations are worth, I think most of them are truly satisfied. The Mayan Palaces are like the Marriots of Mexico. And I don't think we'll have to worry about them going broke on us, or becoming dumpy. They are re-investing in the resorts and building new ones. Most the owners I've spoke with are really happy with their timeshare. I hope you you will be too.

Orville F.
Jul 19, 2007

I thank you Orvillef for replying to my concern. We still think we made a great purchase, but you have made me aware that we have to pay for our 2 original purchased weeks maint. fees. We were lead to believe (of course the salesman wasn't that clear I guess) that if we did not use any of the weeks we were free to go. We just had to inform them by Oct. 1st of every year if we were not going to use them. So another words I'm in the process of renting out my weeks, and what I should do is obviously rent out our original 2 weeks first and if we want to use a week, we should use the Vacation Fair weeks, would that be a fair assumption?? I did understand the x-tra maint. fee every 5 yrs & 5 every 25 yrs. But what I'm trying to do is rent enough of the weeks in a 5 yr. period to collect at least that x-tra maint fee amount. We'll see if that actually will pan out for us. But in 25 yrs., I'll be 70 & my husband 73, who knows what we'll do then !!!! But thanks again for your reply, it makes me feel much better knowing that other owners are comfortable with their purchase like we are :))

Sheila G.

Last edited by sheilag26 on Jul 25, 2007 06:16 AM

Jul 19, 2007

Just one last thing, The Vacation Fairs are not available for February or March because original weeks get first option and those are very popular months.

Oh yes, do call on the first day of the month six months prior to the month in which you plan to go to get your week.

They tend to fill up quickly. Again I love this timeshare and can't wait till Mid Feb. when I'll be going back to Riviera Maya!

Orville F.
Jul 24, 2007

Have stayed at Mayan Palace/Grand Mayan at the Riviera Maya and Nuevo Vallarta. About to stay at Cabo in the new Grand Mayan. Other than the lousy kitchen and the overservice with housekeeping, I quite enjoy the Mayan Palace. Using SFX, I have completed 10 exchanges (for myself and friends) at Mayan Palace/Grand Mayans. With SFX, there is no 1 in 4 or 1 in 5 rule. Why buy when you can readily exchange in?

David M.
Jul 25, 2007

To dmcquill: Have you used SFX to also exchange to other places other than Mayan Palaces/Grands ? If so were the resorts that SFX uses for exchanges top notch (gold crown only) as they say they are ?

I currently have a request in w/RCI using another timeshare we own, to trade into Scotland, & have yet to receive word on an opening. We want April 1st to Sept. 30, 2008, because the castles are open mainly during that time frame. I was wondering if I should take one of the Mayan Palace weeks & bank it with SFX to see if I would have a better chance for an exchange than with RCI ??

Sheila G.
Jul 25, 2007

You will probably be getting mail or e-mail from SFX. They contact Mayan owners with special offers--like 2 weeks for 1--if you deposit early. Of course you would have to pay the exchange fee on both. We have never done it, though we have owned Mayan since 2001.

While we technically own at Cancun, we have only stayed at Puerto Vallarta at the Marina and Acapulco. Have rented out our 2BR unit when not used. When we do use it ourselves, we stay 2 weeks: one in the Master Room side (no kitchen) and one in the 1BR suite side. Hate to pay air for a single week! Hope to do this next year. MD

Mary D.
Jul 25, 2007

sheilag26 wrote:
To dmcquill: Have you used SFX to also exchange to other places other than Mayan Palaces/Grands ? If so were the resorts that SFX uses for exchanges top notch (gold crown only) as they say they are ?

I currently have a request in w/RCI using another timeshare we own, to trade into Scotland, & have yet to receive word on an opening. We want April 1st to Sept. 30, 2008, because the castles are open mainly during that time frame. I was wondering if I should take one of the Mayan Palace weeks & bank it with SFX to see if I would have a better chance for an exchange than with RCI ??

To answer your questions: 1. I have traded into the Manhattan Club and the Hilton in New York City, Sloan Gardens in London, Lawai Beach (Kauai), Hono Koa (Maui), and the Kona Coast Resort on the big island of Hawai. I found all of these resorts to be excellent, especially Sloan Gardens in London. 2. I have received 10 trades into Mayan Palace and the Grand Mayans. 3. I am not too sure how much trading power a Mayan Palace has in SFX because of their ability to get lots of inventory. While the Mayans are beautiful resorts, there is a good supply of them too. 4. I must comment on SFX. You can make a deposit and hear absolutely nothing. Early on we were getting trades readily. Recently, nothing. They are not interested in sharing their methods (e.g., trading value) and how they allocate exchanges with you. While they don't want you to phone them and bug them about your requests, the only way to get any action is to make the phone call. The best thing to do is have an excuse--a question about something trivial. Then, mention your request. Often, I get, "Oh I have something that might interest you." There is no rhyme or reason to their methods regardless what they say. My exchange into Los Cabos into the new Grand Mayan would not have occurred had I not made the phone call. In more recent times this is the only way I have been successful. I can't complain about the results but I really question the methods.

5. SFX has recently expanded into Ireland and Scotland and your time frame is more than reasonable. I would think that you should have success with them. If you put in a request and wish to alter it (a good reason for a phone call), don't do it on line or you will lose your position in the queue. Phone and have them make the change so that your position remains.

Good luck!

David M.
Jul 26, 2007

dmcquill wrote:
sheilag26 wrote:

To answer your questions: 1. I have traded into the Manhattan Club and the Hilton in New York City, Sloan Gardens in London, Lawai Beach (Kauai), Hono Koa (Maui), and the Kona Coast Resort on the big island of Hawai. I found all of these resorts to be excellent, especially Sloan Gardens in London. 2. I have received 10 trades into Mayan Palace and the Grand Mayans. 3. I am not too sure how much trading power a Mayan Palace has in SFX because of their ability to get lots of inventory. While the Mayans are beautiful resorts, there is a good supply of them too. 4. I must comment on SFX. You can make a deposit and hear absolutely nothing. Early on we were getting trades readily. Recently, nothing. They are not interested in sharing their methods (e.g., trading value) and how they allocate exchanges with you. While they don't want you to phone them and bug them about your requests, the only way to get any action is to make the phone call. The best thing to do is have an excuse--a question about something trivial. Then, mention your request. Often, I get, "Oh I have something that might interest you." There is no rhyme or reason to their methods regardless what they say. My exchange into Los Cabos into the new Grand Mayan would not have occurred had I not made the phone call. In more recent times this is the only way I have been successful. I can't complain about the results but I really question the methods.

5. SFX has recently expanded into Ireland and Scotland and your time frame is more than reasonable. I would think that you should have success with them. If you put in a request and wish to alter it (a good reason for a phone call), don't do it on line or you will lose your position in the queue. Phone and have them make the change so that your position remains.

Good luck!

====== Are you yourself a Mayan Palace owner? You say that through SFX you traded into Grand Mayan. I wasn't sure Mayan allowed owners to do that. MD

Mary D.
Jul 26, 2007

adahiscout wrote:
dmcquill wrote:
sheilag26 wrote:

Good luck!

====== Are you yourself a Mayan Palace owner? You say that through SFX you traded into Grand Mayan. I wasn't sure Mayan allowed owners to do that. MD

I don't own at the Mayan Palace. I have traded into the Grand Mayan three times (Riviera Maya, Acapulco, and Cabo) using regular weeks with SFX.

David M.
Jul 27, 2007

Last November we stopped in to visit MP at the Marina in Puerto Vallarta because we own with Mayan in Cancun. They told us about a new program under which owners pay only half the maintenance fee when using their time if they are at least 75. If they use it for a rental or exchange they pay full MF. If it is not used at all, they pay nothing. At age 77 they themselves can use it FREE but still pay MF if they rent or exchange it. This right can be passed to our children when they take over ownership and have paid at least 5 MFs, which they probably would before turning 75. There are costs to get into this program.

Perhaps this has something to do with the "waiver of maintenance fees" that sheilag mentioned above. MD

Mary D.

Last edited by adahiscout on Jul 27, 2007 11:56 PM

Jul 28, 2007

adahiscout wrote:
Last November we stopped in to visit MP at the Marina in Puerto Vallarta because we own with Mayan in Cancun. They told us about a new program under which owners pay only half the maintenance fee when using their time if they are at least 75. If they use it for a rental or exchange they pay full MF. If it is not used at all, they pay nothing. At age 77 they themselves can use it FREE but still pay MF if they rent or exchange it. This right can be passed to our children when they take over ownership and have paid at least 5 MFs, which they probably would before turning 75. There are costs to get into this program.

Perhaps this has something to do with the "waiver of maintenance fees" that sheilag mentioned above. MD

P.S. Another possibility is that Sheilag was given the "Maz Pack" under which you have the right to use or rent time at Mayan's Sea Gardens in Mazitlan in addition to the time you bought. If you do not choose to use it in any way, there is no charge; if you do use the extra time, only the MF is required.

Mary D.
Jul 30, 2007

I called reservations to verify the package we purchased in May of this yr., to make sure I wasn't incorrect. We purchased 2 regular weeks (2 bedroom unit) @ Mayan Palace, Nuevo Vallarta & rec'd 2 Vacation Fair wks. along with 2 bonus weeks at any of the Sea Gardens. All of the above cannot be used during X-Mas, New Years, Easter & Holy weeks. We signed a Maint. Fee Waiver stating that we do not have to pay maint. fees if we do not use the weeks. That pertains to all 6 weeks (purchased weeks & bonus wks). That is the only reason why we purchased @ Mayan Palace, because we wanted to get out of required maint. fee's at a couple of our other resorts. We pay the maint. fee's on whatever we use, studio, 1 bedroom or 2 bedroom & we pay only the Sea Garden's maint. fee if we use one of those resorts.

The only thing that was not presented to us was the 1/2 price maint fees for 75 yrs old & free maint. fees for 77 yrs old & up, that's a nice deal !!

I originally just wanted to know if anybody else recently had purchased into the program we did. It sounds like it's a new program & probably new because of the complaints Mayan Palace were receiving & to also get more sales. I'm sure the later is the main reason of the Maint. Fee Waiver program.

Sounds like everyone that owns at a Mayan Palace loves it. I can't wait to use it in the coming years & it has given us the flexability regarding the maint. fee's & also given us other locations within the other Mayan Palaces as well. When I need a break from Mexico, we still have our week in Grand Cayman !!!

Sheila G.
Aug 23, 2007

adahiscout wrote:
You will probably be getting mail or e-mail from SFX. They contact Mayan owners with special offers--like 2 weeks for 1--if you deposit early. Of course you would have to pay the exchange fee on both. We have never done it, though we have owned Mayan since 2001.

While we technically own at Cancun, we have only stayed at Puerto Vallarta at the Marina and Acapulco. Have rented out our 2BR unit when not used. When we do use it ourselves, we stay 2 weeks: one in the Master Room side (no kitchen) and one in the 1BR suite side. Hate to pay air for a single week! Hope to do this next year. MD

Do you always rent through RedWeek or other places...many thanks, kipr

Kip R.
Aug 23, 2007

kipr wrote:
adahiscout wrote:

I don't know if SFX is offering you something less but if I deposit a qualified week with them before October 31, they give me a regular week, a bonus week and a bonus Mexican week (that is 3 weeks). There are other perks with their offer. However, you should receive three weeks for one, not two.

David M.
Aug 23, 2007

I still don't get it. If Mayan owners are contacted to receive 2 weeks for 1 (or 3 for 1) what weeks do you get? Are they Mayan Palace weeks, or are they US weeks (Hawaii, Vegas), are they rated (Gold Crown, Five star) are they seasonal, (Prime Season, Low season) Please let us know what our Mayan Palace weeks might be worth.

Orville F.
Aug 24, 2007

I'm so relieved to read the positive reviews of the Mayan Palace. My husband and I became members while on our honeymoon in June, and are now questioning whether or not we made a good decision! We actually purchased "someone else's" contract (apparantly the other couple was upgrading), which allowed us to waive the mandatory maintenence fees for the first 5 years. So we don't pay anything if we don't use our weeks. Anyway, we'd like to try to make some of our money back by renting out some of our weeks during the next few years, but are perplexed on how to go about doing this. The Mayan Palace has a list of 5 or 6 rental companies that they reccommend-has anyone used any of these companies to rent out their weeks? If so, do you have any positive/negative feedback on your experience and ability to get rid of your weeks? If you haven't used the reccommended companies, what are some ways that you have been successful in renting out your weeks? I'd appreciate any advice-we're new to the timeshare world! Thanks!

Lisa G.
Aug 26, 2007

orvillef2 wrote:
I still don't get it. If Mayan owners are contacted to receive 2 weeks for 1 (or 3 for 1) what weeks do you get? Are they Mayan Palace weeks, or are they US weeks (Hawaii, Vegas), are they rated (Gold Crown, Five star) are they seasonal, (Prime Season, Low season) Please let us know what our Mayan Palace weeks might be worth.

The main week you get is a normal week that you can request anywhere except at your home resort. It is good for 2 years from the date of the week that you deposit and it can involve a request that occurs from January 1 to December 31 (e.g., no seasonal restrictions). The second week is a bonus week with the same restrictions as the main week except that the exchange fee for it is higher (typically $399, $499 or $599) and it expires in twelve months or the end of the next calendar. Week 3 is a Mexican bonus week that has the same properties as a regular bonus week but can be used only in Mexico. Given SFX's alliance with the Mayan Resorts (note there is no 1 in 4 or 1 in 5 rule as I have booked 10 weeks at Mayan resorts in a short period of time), it is likely that you will receive a trade into a Mayan resort from SFX.

David M.
Aug 26, 2007

kipr wrote:
adahiscout wrote:

---

Uhh, myresorts.com? I think that is the other one I've used.

Mary D.
Aug 27, 2007

lisag275 wrote:
I'm so relieved to read the positive reviews of the Mayan Palace. My husband and I became members while on our honeymoon in June, and are now questioning whether or not we made a good decision! We actually purchased "someone else's" contract (apparantly the other couple was upgrading), which allowed us to waive the mandatory maintenence fees for the first 5 years. So we don't pay anything if we don't use our weeks. Anyway, we'd like to try to make some of our money back by renting out some of our weeks during the next few years, but are perplexed on how to go about doing this. The Mayan Palace has a list of 5 or 6 rental companies that they reccommend-has anyone used any of these companies to rent out their weeks? If so, do you have any positive/negative feedback on your experience and ability to get rid of your weeks? If you haven't used the reccommended companies, what are some ways that you have been successful in renting out your weeks? I'd appreciate any advice-we're new to the timeshare world! Thanks!

We are also members of the Mayan Palace and actually the Grand Mayan now. We are just beginning to get serious about renting b/c I believe if we sell, we will get, perhaps, half of what we paid. So, what I'm reading and hearing is that if you want to rent, you should not be putting up any upfront fees....perhaps someone who is more experienced with this can explain further or help out. To be honest I did try to go with a 'service' and it did nothing, so I'm really not sure how to get this done. I don't want inflated pricing for the rental, I basically just want to cover the maint. fee if I don't use the week. I am not sure if there is a glut of rental weeks at the Grand Mayan...again, perhaps someone else could offer some input/advice...good luck and enjoy, kipr....

Kip R.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.