Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Recent Mayan Palace Nuevo Vallarta purchase at resort ? Anybody have some good/bad things to say about Mayan Palaces ??

Aug 28, 2007

kipr wrote:
lisag275 wrote:
I'm so relieved to read the positive reviews of the Mayan Palace. My husband and I became members while on our honeymoon in June, and are now questioning whether or not we made a good decision! We actually purchased "someone else's" contract (apparantly the other couple was upgrading), which allowed us to waive the mandatory maintenence fees for the first 5 years. So we don't pay anything if we don't use our weeks. Anyway, we'd like to try to make some of our money back by renting out some of our weeks during the next few years, but are perplexed on how to go about doing this. The Mayan Palace has a list of 5 or 6 rental companies that they reccommend-has anyone used any of these companies to rent out their weeks? If so, do you have any positive/negative feedback on your experience and ability to get rid of your weeks? If you haven't used the reccommended companies, what are some ways that you have been successful in renting out your weeks? I'd appreciate any advice-we're new to the timeshare world! Thanks!

We are also members of the Mayan Palace and actually the Grand Mayan now. We are just beginning to get serious about renting b/c I believe if we sell, we will get, perhaps, half of what we paid. So, what I'm reading and hearing is that if you want to rent, you should not be putting up any upfront fees....perhaps someone who is more experienced with this can explain further or help out. To be honest I did try to go with a 'service' and it did nothing, so I'm really not sure how to get this done. I don't want inflated pricing for the rental, I basically just want to cover the maint. fee if I don't use the week. I am not sure if there is a glut of rental weeks at the Grand Mayan...again, perhaps someone else could offer some input/advice...good luck and enjoy, kipr....

What is the name of the rental "service" you used, that you said did nothing for you?

Lisa G.
Aug 30, 2007

lisag275 wrote:
kipr wrote:
lisag275 wrote:
I'm so relieved to read the positive reviews of the Mayan Palace. My husband and I became members while on our honeymoon in June, and are now questioning whether or not we made a good decision! We actually purchased "someone else's" contract (apparantly the other couple was upgrading), which allowed us to waive the mandatory maintenence fees for the first 5 years. So we don't pay anything if we don't use our weeks. Anyway, we'd like to try to make some of our money back by renting out some of our weeks during the next few years, but are perplexed on how to go about doing this. The Mayan Palace has a list of 5 or 6 rental companies that they reccommend-has anyone used any of these companies to rent out their weeks? If so, do you have any positive/negative feedback on your experience and ability to get rid of your weeks? If you haven't used the reccommended companies, what are some ways that you have been successful in renting out your weeks? I'd appreciate any advice-we're new to the timeshare world! Thanks!

We are also members of the Mayan Palace and actually the Grand Mayan now. We are just beginning to get serious about renting b/c I believe if we sell, we will get, perhaps, half of what we paid. So, what I'm reading and hearing is that if you want to rent, you should not be putting up any upfront fees....perhaps someone who is more experienced with this can explain further or help out. To be honest I did try to go with a 'service' and it did nothing, so I'm really not sure how to get this done. I don't want inflated pricing for the rental, I basically just want to cover the maint. fee if I don't use the week. I am not sure if there is a glut of rental weeks at the Grand Mayan...again, perhaps someone else could offer some input/advice...good luck and enjoy, kipr....

What is the name of the rental "service" you used, that you said did nothing for you?

===========

I'd suggest trying to rent via RedWeek.com, of course, but www.myresortnetwork.com is another good one. Look at what is advertised and be sure you are comparing apples to apples. What would you pay a mere hotel for your unit (if it existed)? Start high enough that you can go down a bit if need be. Everybody wants to feel they got a bargain! MD

Mary D.
Sep 23, 2007

lisag275 wrote:
We bought at the Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta Aug. 2006 and immediately called one of the renting companies suggested by the Grand Mayan, Resorts International. They quickly took my $299 and said it would be rented in 60 days. Needless to say, a year plus later, nothing! When I call I get a recording or someone saying we're close. Save your money. I'm trying to rent on my own since July and have gotten lots of responses, though nothing definite yet. It's coming, though. I can feel it! ' Good luck.

Debra G.
Feb 20, 2008

lisag275 wrote:
All of these listed companies charge an up front fee. I would be very suspicious of them. The sales person may have told you that you could rent a studio for $1,100 or so using one of the companies on their list, but this is a highly inflated claim. Do a little internet research on these rental companies, ask for a refference, see if they have a valid internet site, etc., and you will probably come to the same conclusion I came to. You will be throwing your upfront fee of tho to three hundred away. Why don't you try renting on this site.

Dick F.
Feb 20, 2008

We recently upgraded to Grand Mayan and were told about renting. However, the bottom line was that they handed us a list of "up front fee" companies, which about soured the whole deal. They rewrote the contract and reduced the price by the amount of the up front fee! One of the salesmen said he himself uses one on the list. Still, I'd be more likely to trust RedWeek. MD

Mary D.
Oct 07, 2016

Is it easy to resell my time share with Mayan Palace? My sister and I bought one in 2011, and we have trouble using it.

Pat N.
Oct 08, 2016

patn108 wrote:
Is it easy to resell my time share with Mayan Palace? My sister and I bought one in 2011, and we have trouble using it.

That would depend on the size of the unit as well as the week (time of year). Keep in mind that the majority of units in Mexico are worth about zero dollars, some you may even have to pay people to take off your hands. Also note that the majority of units in Mexico are Right to Use (RTU) instead of deeded weeks so all you really "own" is a contract to pay and use a unit.

Make sure you watch out for all the scams out there aimed at timeshare owners (especially in Mexico) claiming they can sell or rent out your unit for tens of thousands of dollars or they can "cancel" your timeshare. Those are all scams.

If you want to get rid of it and, hence its accompanying maintenance fees, try asking the resort if it will take your unit back. Or try listing it for sale/giveaway.

Lance C.
Oct 08, 2016

I was given 4 or 5 agencies by Mayan Palace saying these agencies would rent my unit. All charge an upfront fee. I contacted all of them saying that the first one who would deduct the fee from my first rental would get my business. All declined. They want the money up front, and they have no intention of renting your units. MP knows this. Hard to believe they are still doing it. Either work with your credit card people if it's not too late or take your losses. Do not give money up front to these thieves.

Dick F.
Oct 09, 2016

patn108 wrote:

They only worth a Mayan Palace has is for someone who may want to use the in house equity to upgrade with Vida. Look at your contract to see what the transfer fee is. Different years have different amounts, it may be the cost of a single MF or it could be 5 times the cost of the current MF or it could be 10% of the purchase price. If you have a contract where the transfer fee is less than $1000 and you have paid off the week, you would still be lucky to net $500. If you haven't paid of the mortgage you can't do anything with it. If you have paid it off you may want to contact Vida to see if they are accepting deed backs.

As mentioned don't pay anyone upfront, and if you get offers that seem too good to be true, you would be correct. That would be a scam to get you hooked and then somewhere along the line a fee or tax that has to be prepaid by the seller will come up that they say you will be reimbursed for later. If you pay another fee will pop up. As soon as you refuse to pay, the buyer will disappear.

Tracey S.
Jul 08, 2017

new to REDWEEK.com. I would like to rent one of my weeks. Anyone out there have any experience with renting any of the Mayan Units?

Richard G.
Jul 11, 2017

Do it on your own, I to did hear nothing from the recommended Co,s. Red Week is a long standing Co. They sold 1 of my timeshares for a decent price and they do rent or advertise for rent. Have not rented. We have been Mayan timeshare owners since 1988 and upgraded in 2004 All Mayan,s are beautiful, just make sure your room is not over the truck delivery, garbage pick up or a bar that has loud music till 2AM, not bad if you are young and are in this bar. Have fun Barbara PS: we are now for sale getting to old and wanting to do what's still on the bucket list

Barbara D.

Last edited by barbara2209 on Jul 11, 2017 02:03 PM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.