Riviera Shores Resort

Has anyone stayed here?

Sep 14, 2007

We are going to be staying a this resort next August. I'd love to hear from other who have been there to find out if they enjoyed there stay.

Lynne W.
Oct 09, 2007

Yes, we are owners of MGV and a legacy week at the sister resort Riviera Beach. The Shores is quieter and having some renovation doen this fall, which IMHO is nery much needed. It was explained to me that they are so full during the season that it is difficult to keep up with some maintenance. The good points are the locatoin is terrific, near everything S Cal has to offer, a car is a must. we love the place due to the great service, the restaurant and the small size of the resorts. The mexican restuarant next door is good but I think expensive, $100 for four of us for lunch and no air conditioning! I would love to say stay away to keep the place our secret but something as nice as this is hard to keep quiet. Just don't expect the Ritz, this is like "your place at the beach" and you are not Rockefeller! (or Gates!)

William F.
Oct 10, 2007

Thanks for the info! It sound like a nice place. We are really excited since this is our first exchange. We own at Williamsburg Plantation, but haven't stayed there yet. We've never been to California, but we are looking forward to seeing the Los Angelas area. My daughter is especially excited about going to Hollywood. How is the drive from the resort? I know it takes about an hour and I am expecting bad traffic. I heard it is only a half hour from Disney and also close to Catalina Island. Thanks also for the restaurant info. I read that the resort restaurant is only open a few days a week. Is there any other good places next door that are resonable for a family of four?

Lynne W.

Last edited by lynnew34 on Oct 10, 2007 09:47 AM

Jan 17, 2008

lynnew34 wrote:
Thanks for the info! It sound like a nice place. We are really excited since this is our first exchange. We own at Williamsburg Plantation, but haven't stayed there yet. We've never been to California, but we are looking forward to seeing the Los Angelas area. My daughter is especially excited about going to Hollywood. How is the drive from the resort? I know it takes about an hour and I am expecting bad traffic. I heard it is only a half hour from Disney and also close to Catalina Island. Thanks also for the restaurant info. I read that the resort restaurant is only open a few days a week. Is there any other good places next door that are resonable for a family of four?

The drive into LA/hollywood is a long ways. Mostly due to the fact that I-5 thru LA is terrible. I-5 to Disney or Knotts Berry is great but don't use it to get any farther north. I'd take 450 or 110 to get into Hollywood.

There are lots af restaurants in the area, including several in the harbor area of Dana Point. (1/4 mile away.) There is also a nice place on the hill above Dana point harbor.

Bill B.
May 11, 2008

We just got back and enjoyed our stay. Be sure to drive south to San Diego. Lots of neat places on the way. Use the Pac. Coast Hwy.Resort resturant was good but a little pricey. Traffic is horrible in LA. Tuesday is 1/2 price day to go whale watching from Dana Point. We saw dolphin and sea lions --no whales.. Have fun.

Lewis B.

Last edited by lewis21 on May 11, 2008 05:35 PM

May 11, 2008

We live in Las Vegas as a transplant from Ohio, but love going to the Riviera Beach/Shores every year on vacation. We do adventures from a base there; Long Beach Queen Mary, walk the LB marina and have a drink in some neat little places although I can't tell you the names! Balboa Island is an adventure to get a place to park but once you do you can spend a day walking, loitering and talking to the locals! Head south to Old Town San Diego for a day of exploring and learning about other "cultures". Take an evening Ghost Walk/Tour. Head over to Seaport Village, ride the carousel and do some shopping. Head up to Fullerton and have a salad at Rutabagora's near the University there, good luck finding it but when you do be prepared for some old fashioned laid back California beatnik atmosphere! We'll be at the Beach the end of May this year. I was told last year that the fall of 07 the Shores was getting some major renovation. As others said, it is badly needed. Both resorts are small, super friendly, customer oriented and make for a great vacation. I agree with the ealier comments about Oleanders the Mexican restaurant next door, I no longer go there due to the extreme prices and frankly not as good as many others here in Las Vegas. I hear Croce's in San Diego is good, we plan on trying it this year ourselves. It is owned and operated by the widow of Jim Croce, that alone makes it worth at least one trip to try it out! Enjoy your stay in Southern California, there is too much to do in only one trip. Plan now to come back!

William F.
May 15, 2008

Thanks for the info, it is vey helpful. Did you go to the LA area while you were there?

Lynne W.
May 15, 2008

billfoster424 wrote:
We live in Las Vegas as a transplant from Ohio, but love going to the Riviera Beach/Shores every year on vacation. We do adventures from a base there; Long Beach Queen Mary, walk the LB marina and have a drink in some neat little places although I can't tell you the names! Balboa Island is an adventure to get a place to park but once you do you can spend a day walking, loitering and talking to the locals! Head south to Old Town San Diego for a day of exploring and learning about other "cultures". Take an evening Ghost Walk/Tour. Head over to Seaport Village, ride the carousel and do some shopping. Head up to Fullerton and have a salad at Rutabagora's near the University there, good luck finding it but when you do be prepared for some old fashioned laid back California beatnik atmosphere! We'll be at the Beach the end of May this year. I was told last year that the fall of 07 the Shores was getting some major renovation. As others said, it is badly needed. Both resorts are small, super friendly, customer oriented and make for a great vacation. I agree with the ealier comments about Oleanders the Mexican restaurant next door, I no longer go there due to the extreme prices and frankly not as good as many others here in Las Vegas. I hear Croce's in San Diego is good, we plan on trying it this year ourselves. It is owned and operated by the widow of Jim Croce, that alone makes it worth at least one trip to try it out! Enjoy your stay in Southern California, there is too much to do in only one trip. Plan now to come back!
I will defintely check out your suggestions. Thanks so much. Did you go to the LA area while you were there. I was also wondering if it was possible to get the train nearby to go to LA?

Lynne W.
May 15, 2008

lynnew34 wrote:
billfoster424 wrote:
I will defintely check out your suggestions. Thanks so much. Did you go to the LA area while you were there. I was also wondering if it was possible to get the train nearby to go to LA?
You can catch the train in San Juan Capistrano a short, 10 minute drive from the resort. My suggestion though is to drive into LA. since there will be more than one in the car, you can use the car pool lanes! if going up that way did I mention Hollywood Blvd, Graumans Chinese Theater, the la Brea Tar Pits and the Farmers Market? All neat typical Ca places to go. Also go by The Beverly Hills Hotel and walk around, have a cup'o joe in the Polo grill and maybe see somebody famous. Elton John was there the last time I was. We are going to the Beach in a couple of weeks, always love to go there!

William F.
May 17, 2008

billfoster424 wrote:
lynnew34 wrote:
billfoster424 wrote:
You can catch the train in San Juan Capistrano a short, 10 minute drive from the resort. My suggestion though is to drive into LA. since there will be more than one in the car, you can use the car pool lanes! if going up that way did I mention Hollywood Blvd, Graumans Chinese Theater, the la Brea Tar Pits and the Farmers Market? All neat typical Ca places to go. Also go by The Beverly Hills Hotel and walk around, have a cup'o joe in the Polo grill and maybe see somebody famous. Elton John was there the last time I was. We are going to the Beach in a couple of weeks, always love to go there!
Someone said to use 110 or 450 instead of I-5 to go to Hollywood. What is your suggestion?

Lynne W.
Jun 05, 2008

During your stay, plan to spend a day in Laguna Beach ....just a few miles north up the Pacific Coast Highway. It is home to many artists (galleries galore) as well as great restaurants and beautiful sandy beaches. If visiting in summer, be sure to check out the Sawdust Festival (booths of local artists' crafts) and the amazing Pageant of the Masters (paintings come to life in an outdoor bowl setting under the stars). Suggest buying tickets to pageant online in advance. Favorite restaurants: Las Brisas for margaritas. The Beach House for lunch or Sunday Brunch. Both right on the ocean. Happy Wandering!

Fred S.
Sep 08, 2008

We are thinking about booking but read on trip advisor that the amtrack train runs by the resort and is loud. Can anyone comment on that, the noise level inparticular? Also stated was that many rooms are in the back facing a cement retaining wall with no view and very dark, which sound great to me, but my wife doesn't think so. Any comments on that? Thanks, Mike

Mike K.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.