Point Systems

Hilton Grand Vacation Club Points

Mar 20, 2008

We are HGVC members with a 7,000 points per year. How would this work making exchanged with the red week system? I just logged onto Red week for the very first time.

Ryan G.
Mar 31, 2008

Your Hilton points are probably only good at another Hilton affiliated property. If you want to exchange for something outside of the hilton you must consult with RCi or II.

good luck. we have not found the point system to be beneficial to us in exchanging for other timeshares. Okay if you want to stay with the Hilton chain.

Jo Ann O. trembath
May 10, 2008

ryang47 wrote:
We are HGVC members with a 7,000 points per year. How would this work making exchanged with the red week system? I just logged onto Red week for the very first time.
We have 8400 points each year and our home resort is HGVC-Hilton Hawaiin Village. This year we used our HGVC points for a week on the Big Island. We have used our points twice for trading via RCI to The Aspens in Jackson Hole. WY (only using 5000 points for a 2 BR, 2BA condo there after Labor Day). Next year we are going to Whistler, BC, Canada witha 3 BR condo in June 2009 plus a trip to Las Vegas for a long weekend (Thurs-Sunday). We love Hilton and the points system.

Jim M.

Last edited by marty8084 on May 11, 2008 01:34 PM

Apr 22, 2010

Hey there all, we have 9300 pts for our 1bed/1bath Platinum week at the new HGVC Kingsland on the Big Island, HI. We originally bought a 2bed/2bath HGVC Las Vegas and "traded up" to Kingsland. So far, we have been very impressed with owning in Hilton and look forward to future resorts. They truly are 4 & 5 Star properties. Hilton has its name and reputation to protect and guarantees they will update and redecorate their resorts at a minimum every 7 years. They were the only timeshare we have found that offers child care at their resorts, and the option to convert our week into HiltonHonors points for hotel & resort stays is very easy and a great bargin if you can't use or trade your week.

We had to convert to HiltonHonors points last year: 1. 1-HGVC point equals 25-HiltonHonors points Example: 5000 HGVC pts = 125,000 HiltonHonors pts 2. Most Hilton hotels are 20,000 to 40,000 pts per night 3. Easy to convert, then book rooms on their Hilton hotel website

We are very happy and intend to continue using our timeshare with them for years to come.

Bryan H.

Last edited by majbeck on Apr 22, 2010 01:36 PM

May 19, 2010

We have 9,400 HGV points we planned in the purchase 'room' to use toward a cruise, only to find that they were ineligible (2008 points are too old?). It looks like on RedWeek I can't sell just those points? I don't want them to go to waste. They can be used only at HGV Club Resorts, and expire 12/31/2010.

We would trade them for just about anything...including a Kuhn-Rikon pressure cooker, chicken coops, airline tickets for Kauai Summer 2011, and extra week in Kauai in Summer 2011, etc.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Laurie

Laurie S.
May 20, 2010

lauries207 wrote:
We have 9,400 HGV points we planned in the purchase 'room' to use toward a cruise, only to find that they were ineligible (2008 points are too old?). It looks like on RedWeek I can't sell just those points? I don't want them to go to waste. They can be used only at HGV Club Resorts, and expire 12/31/2010.

We would trade them for just about anything...including a Kuhn-Rikon pressure cooker, chicken coops, airline tickets for Kauai Summer 2011, and extra week in Kauai in Summer 2011, etc.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Laurie

Hi Laurie,

You can sell points on RedWeek, Sell Points. You could also post a RedWish to trade your points. Add RedWish

Thanks, Marty

Marty F
Jun 24, 2010

If you can't use them, I think you can convert them on a 25:1 ratio to Hilton Honors points which never expire.

Hal F.
Jun 25, 2010

Thanks All, Ours are rescued points, so they're ineligible for conversion. But, via RedWeek, I just sold 8400 of them. Now just 1200 left; enough for a nice weekend somewhere. Any takers?

I looked at the 'sell points' option, and it wants me to sell my membership. I only wanted someone to make use of the rescued points before they expire.

In this process, I became better acquainted with HGVC's Open Season, which rents unused units (to HGVC members only), for very reasonable prices! The availability is posted 30 days prior to the dates. There is no booking fee. I love this! Even if we run out of points, we can stay in a nice Studio for $60/night Sun-Thurs, & $80 Fri & Sat, more for bigger units.

Happy Traveling! (and buzz me if you want those 1200 remaining rescued points) Laurie

PS. I also learned that Banks & credit unions charge fees & take 4-6 weeks to process Canadian Postal Money Orders. US Post Office cashes them; mine said no so I went to the main PO, who said of course, but didn't have enough cash yet (first of the month they have more), so they sold me a USPS money order for the remainder. I hope this saves someone a headache.

Laurie S.
Jul 17, 2010

I am an HGVC member who wants to "rent" points. Don't know what else to call it when I temporarily want to increase my points for a specific trip. How did it work for you? I don't want to buy someone's entire point system...just use their points on a one time basis.

Jennifer C.
Jul 17, 2010

jenniferc169 wrote:
I am an HGVC member who wants to "rent" points. Don't know what else to call it when I temporarily want to increase my points for a specific trip. How did it work for you? I don't want to buy someone's entire point system...just use their points on a one time basis.

Jennifer, owners will have their points for rent under specific resorts under the HCVC resorts just like a normal rental posting.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, Marty

Marty F

Last edited by marty8084 on Jul 17, 2010 09:54 PM

Jul 18, 2010

Thanks Marty. Follow up question: Can I only rent points at the resort they posted it under? So I can't rent Vegas points (say 8400) and then use them at a Hawaiian HGVC? I have to pick a specific resort? Trying to get King's Land, and as it is new, it is not easy to find trades.

Jennifer C.
Jul 18, 2010

Hi Jennifer, Points are good at any HGVC. I don't think you can buy the points though, the owner would make the reservation in your name. The only way I found to do it (sell one year's points, not my membership) was advertise one location, with a link to the whole list, and ask responders to tell me what resort & unit size, & dates, they wanted. Very few responders actually did that, they just gave dates, and getting the rest was a challenge. Often their partner found something else in the meantime. So there must be a better way. I have 1200 rescued points left, that expire 12/31/10 ;) Enjoy! Laurie

Laurie S.

Last edited by lauries207 on Jul 18, 2010 01:40 PM

Jul 18, 2010

jenniferc169 wrote:
Thanks Marty. Follow up question: Can I only rent points at the resort they posted it under? So I can't rent Vegas points (say 8400) and then use them at a Hawaiian HGVC? I have to pick a specific resort? Trying to get King's Land, and as it is new, it is not easy to find trades.

Since you are already a paid member you can contact some of the owners with HGVC rentals and ask if their rentals can be used at other HGVC resorts. Some may already have their points reserved at a particular resort for a particular week.

Best of luck!

Marty

Marty F
Jul 19, 2010

oops i missed your first question...if you log in to HGVC, and click 'my reservations', then click 'classic reservation system', then click 'open season'; you can buy extra nights, very reasonably. I'm a new member and am still learning, but I found this to be great. They don't post there until 30 days before the stay, and must be owner occupied, but they have a little King's Land availability there now, plus they show some through the 'Revolution Reservation System' that doesn't show in classic, and they show cash price _or_ points required. I hope this helps :)

Laurie S.
Jul 28, 2010

I have 13,600 HGVC points that are 2009 rollover points (i.e. they have to be used on a club by 12/31/2010 and they cannot be rolled over to 2010 nor converted to HHonors points). Would my best bet be to sell on Red Week?

Also, can anyone let me know how RedWeek works? I understand that there is a $14.99 annual fee and an additional $9.99/6 weeks fee (Red Wish) to post the points for sale? There is also a $59.99 fee to post a listing. For my selling of points, would I need to purchase the $9.99 Red wish or the $59.99 access?

If I do post my points, can I post it in a block of 13,600 and people can negotiate and buy less if they want? Or should I post it in small blocks? I'm pretty new to the RedWeek thing so not sure what is customary.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Michelle

Michelle Y.

Last edited by marty8084 on Jul 29, 2010 03:16 AM

Jul 29, 2010

michelley24 wrote:
I have 13,600 HGVC points that are 2009 rollover points (i.e. they have to be used on a club by 12/31/2010 and they cannot be rolled over to 2010 nor converted to HHonors points). Would my best bet be to sell on Red Week?

Also, can anyone let me know how RedWeek works? I understand that there is a $14.99 annual fee and an additional $9.99/6 weeks fee (Red Wish) to post the points for sale? There is also a $59.99 fee to post a listing. For my selling of points, would I need to purchase the $9.99 Red wish or the $59.99 access?

If I do post my points, can I post it in a block of 13,600 and people can negotiate and buy less if they want? Or should I post it in small blocks? I'm pretty new to the RedWeek thing so not sure what is customary.

Michelle

Hi Michelle,

To sell your points on RedWeek, you would need to purchase a membership ($14.99 for 12 months) and the points resale posting $59.99 for 12 months). A RedWish is for those wanting to "buy" points. You can always look through the RedWishes and contact any of those that are looking to purchase HGVC points but you won't be able to post your points under the RedWishes to sell. Please note to contact those with RedWishes you also have to have a paid membership.

As far as how you post your points that would be completely up to you. Hopefully, someone else here can give you some help with that. You can always edit your posting with the price and points amount, etc. In the "Details" area you can include you are open to negotiate or sell part of your points or whatever you are open to.

Thanks, Marty

Marty F
Jul 30, 2010

Hi Michelle, I just joined a few months ago. The way I used was to post a week in Orlando, I think at Parc Soleil, and in the details write in how many points I had available, with a link to HGVC's directory of resorts, and ask people to let me know what size unit, location, and dates they wanted. I got a lot of requests with none of that answered, so lots of back & forth emails. I still have 1200 points left, which is enough for 3 days at most places. It expires 12/31. If anyone has found a better way, please post it =) A very nice family wanted 11 days, and I was able to get them 9 days with 8400 of my points. They are also HGVC members, so they were able to use HGVC's 'Open Season' to rent the last 2 nights. (that only shows up on the 'Classic Reservation System' and is not transferable). I wish there was a resort in Tahoe or Monterey! Best, Laurie

Laurie S.
Aug 04, 2010

Thank you Marty and Laurie for your help! I have a question regarding the difference between selling points and renting out the timeshare. Are they the same thing? My understanding is that renting out your timeshare means booking the timeshare for the renter and then having them stay as a guest (i.e. what Laurie is doing).

What is selling points (vs. renting the timeshare) and how would I go about doing this? Is there a way that points are transferrable to a buyer? (i.e. you can transfer the points and they can use them as their own). I am not as comfortable with renting out the timeshare due to liability issues (i.e. if they do damage to the timeshare unit) and would rather sell the points, if possible.

Cheers, Michelle

Michelle Y.
Aug 09, 2010

michelley24 wrote:
Thank you Marty and Laurie for your help! I have a question regarding the difference between selling points and renting out the timeshare. Are they the same thing? My understanding is that renting out your timeshare means booking the timeshare for the renter and then having them stay as a guest (i.e. what Laurie is doing).

What is selling points (vs. renting the timeshare) and how would I go about doing this? Is there a way that points are transferrable to a buyer? (i.e. you can transfer the points and they can use them as their own). I am not as comfortable with renting out the timeshare due to liability issues (i.e. if they do damage to the timeshare unit) and would rather sell the points, if possible.

Cheers, Michelle

Hi Michelle,

Renting out your points is like renting out your week for the year. Selling your points would be completely selling your timeshare. The points would actually change ownership if sold. Renting your points means that you would maintain ownership. When renting you would have a renters agreement that would spell out any damages, etc. http://www.redweek.com/resources/rental_process/rw_sample_rental_agreement.pdf

To sell your points please visit http://www.redweek.com/account/add-posting?type=points

Hope this helps, Michelle.

Marty

Marty F
Aug 12, 2010

Thanks Marty!! That was very helpful.

Michelle

Michelle Y.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.