Pueblo Bonito Resort

What is going to happen in 2017

Apr 11, 2008

Has anyone asked managment to find out if the current owners can buy an extension of their use.

Harold N.
Oct 14, 2008

I also would like to know if anyone has any solid information of what is to happen at PB-Mazatlan in 2017.

Kate W.
Oct 14, 2008

well I guess no one knows

Harold N.
Apr 07, 2009

I heard that they want to sell the units off as condo's. Question is "why"? They just bought up some older property in PV - so why not keep this one?

Andrea H.
Apr 08, 2009

I think Coppell doesn't want this one anymore and is concentrating on Emerald Bay and the fractionals there as well as the big project he has going on in Cabo.

Harold N.
Oct 02, 2009

nazclk wrote:
I think Coppell doesn't want this one anymore and is concentrating on Emerald Bay and the fractionals there as well as the big project he has going on in Cabo.

Just returned from area and visited this property - no mention of any changes in operation or property management circa 2017.

The mention of 2017 in the right to use posting does not make sense.

JT

Justin T.
Oct 27, 2009

Yes it does make sense as most if not all of the right to use contracts expire in 2017 and that's when the resort has to decide what happens to the old owners if anything. Great to buy in now as you don't have much time left.

Harold N.
Dec 01, 2009

Just returned from week at PB Maz and of course took the tour and song and dance at Emerald Bay. The word from a senior sales staffer is that in 2017 when the contracts run out that PB Maz will be turned into hotel or nightly rental property.

Travel groups like Suite Getaways, Expedia and Alaska Air vacations can fill the place with vacation travelers easily given the demand for Mazatlan. And currently do. I was in reservation setting up time for 2010 and 2011 and Nancy had a list of rooms required by Alaska Air Vacations on her desk for upcoming bookings.

Emerald Bay seems to be the focus of their efforts right now and Coppell would like everyone to transition and buy to EB. Unfortunately, folks like us who enjoy the Mexican, homey, close into town feel of PB Maz aren't happy. You have people who have been coming here for 20+ years and like the family and feeling of PB Maz. They didn't come to Mexico to stay in a resort that looks like the US - ie: EB.

I hope owners will let the management know that they are not happy being forced to change destinations for their Mazatlan experience in 2017.

One more piece of information, the sales person also said that owners will receive a letter soon that they want to transition the property one year earlier and that contracts will expire in 2016 and owners will be offered a year to use earlier to facilitate making this happen. Not sure on this - all my paperwork and contracts say 2017.

Sales info we got: one week for 30 years at Emerald Bay on a one bedroom usage every other year goes for $4,700 with $990 in closing costs. Maintenance is $439 only paid every other year. 2 years free financing. Interesting EB has a cap on maintenance fees ties to a US inflation index.

Ian G.
Dec 01, 2009

Thanks for the update. Have long been wondering what the bottom line is there. You saved me a ton of time. All the best!

Andrea H.
Jan 25, 2010

This is what I was told in Dec 2010, that it had just been officially announced that PB would become a a regular hotel.

My contracts say 2017, how can they force us to use our time early?

I've been coming to Mazatlan since 1964 mostly at the Playa Mazatlan then PB. Where am I going to find the same low key and low scale comfortable atmosphere in Mazatlan or anywhere else? Huge developments where you dont know that you are in Mexico like EB, do not interest me. Maybe I'll look around Oaxaca; no beach but so much else: history, culture, crafts, food.

Joan L.
Aug 03, 2011

I was there this March and was told by one of the owners (Mr Coppell) is not the only owner that" for now" the plan is to turn it into a hotel but to give old contract owners first rights at booking. How they are going to do that was not explained to me but I was assured the building was not going to be taken down and something rebuilt. This as I was told was the motheship building for the brand name and it will stay.

Sally L.
May 12, 2012

We asked last year and they are going to re-sell the units! They were supposed to be turning it into a hotel but management says they will refurbish and sell as a time share. Can you believe Mexicans? That's up to you to find out. One year its one story and the next year a different story. But we love Mazatlan and going to Emerald Bay and the in town Pueblo Bonito also.

Helen S.

Last edited by marty8084 on May 14, 2012 10:33 PM

May 12, 2012

Supposedly they are going to refurbish and RESELL the units. We were there in 2011 and that is what we were told.

Helen S.

Last edited by marty8084 on May 14, 2012 10:34 PM

Jun 17, 2012

I have been contacted by a person representing Pueblo Bonito Black diamond (.com) a vacation and timeshare trading outfit. They say they represent pueblo bonito, and that my timeshare runs out in 2017. I will be given consideration if I buy at emerald bay, however, when I bought I was told that I would be able to renew at Mazatlan for $900.00 (can't remember for how long). Mazatlan has been a great bargain for me and though we don't always go there, I also love the small resort and lovely atmosphere. This caller told me that Mazatlan would be torn down and a new resort built there. She was a great salesperson, but since I told her I wanted to think about it she has been trying the hard sell, such as emailing saying my offer would expire in 24 hours. I told her I would be calling the resort directly to get some answers but I don't know that I will be successful with that either.

A. Z.
Jun 17, 2012

Also....when I bought my timeshare it was directly from Roberto Kelly, a relative of the owner of the Pueblo Bonitos. I would hope he didn't feed me a line.........

A. Z.
Jun 22, 2012

You mention Black Diamond , are they a part of the premier weeks program., that the PB Resorts sell you as a bonus to the deal.

Carol S.
Jul 02, 2012

I don't think Black Diamond is a part of premier, didn't mention that. Since I spoke with them they have called me numerous times. I had asked for 24 hours to look at their website before committing to anything and before the 24 hours started they were sending me emails saying that I had to sign up "immediately" to get the deal offered. That put me off so I have not pursued it and am not answering their calls. Their best deal was a 10 year commitment and since I don't know if I have a timeshare after 2017 I don't see why I would sign up.

A. Z.
Jul 02, 2012

just curious, will all the owners be affected or just the ones who term is up in 2017. Wondering if they will still be part of the sister resorts. I am at PB Sunset. Depending on how much Emerald Bay charge it may be worth the owners buying at a another sister resort and then you can have asscess to the resort if it is still in the affilated circle. You may pick up the other resorts cheaper probably than what your resort resells and buy on secondary market. Then you could still book Emerald Bay through the PB RCI reps. Not sure if it works the same as PB Sunset, but we can get prioity access to the other sister resorts being an owner at PB Sunset. But, have to book through PB RCI Reps if booking out of the CABO Area.

Carol S.
Jul 03, 2012

Ernesto Coppel does not own this one his brother does. The plan is to make it a hotel I do not know how that will work in todays ecomomy

Wm Scot Ellis
Jul 03, 2012

Premier weeks had contacted us in regards to signing up, This was the Black Diamond group of the program. I was advised by a former salesperson from PB not to sign in on it since we all ready had a lifetime membership and the inventory is the same. Alot of what you see is other peoples timeshares that are members. Recently went on the site and the inventory seems to be very limited. Not sure what is up with that. Maybe they have separated the two programs. I know also you can book travel outside of the timeshares through the hotel,air, section with premier weeks.

Carol S.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.