Club Wyndham Bali Hai Villas

Pahio Bali Hai owner of 3BR,3BA

Jul 18, 2008

I just called resort to book a 3BR,3BA unit for 2009 and was told that certain buildings were solely reserved for Fairshare Plus,that my choice was limited to buildings #1,2,3,4,5,8,9,10,11.From the resort map I have there are only 3 of those buildings that even have 3BR,3BA suites.This is all contrary to any understanding I had at time of purchase in 2006 just when Wyndham had taken over.Has anyone had similar experience or suggestions for resolution other than being sucked into buying FS Plus points? I'm going to have to read my contract again and maybe see a lawyer as a final resort. Ellen

Ellen M.
Jul 30, 2008

You know, I've been a little concerned over the Wyndham takeover (I own a 2BR 2BA from Pahio). Apparantly, the "older units" from pahio are not up to Wyndham standards and the units being built now are supposed to be "better" and up to their standards. So that is why pahio owners cannot use them unless to buy into them. I think that is ridiculous. So essentially, a person that spent $20,000 on a Wyndham property in the year 2004 have access to the "newer " units, but a Pahio owner who spent $30,000 on a Bali Hai unit does not have access to those units.

It seems as if Wyndham is segregating the Pahio owners to "give them incentive" to buy into Wyndham. Another money squeezing scheme if you ask me. Sadly, I have also heard reports that Wyndham is not maintaining the other Pahio properties very well either. I'd be interested to see what your lawyer says.

Jonathan H.
Aug 25, 2008

jonathanh41 wrote:
You know, I've been a little concerned over the Wyndham takeover (I own a 2BR 2BA from Pahio). Apparantly, the "older units" from pahio are not up to Wyndham standards and the units being built now are supposed to be "better" and up to their standards. So that is why pahio owners cannot use them unless to buy into them. I think that is ridiculous. So essentially, a person that spent $20,000 on a Wyndham property in the year 2004 have access to the "newer " units, but a Pahio owner who spent $30,000 on a Bali Hai unit does not have access to those units.

It seems as if Wyndham is segregating the Pahio owners to "give them incentive" to buy into Wyndham. Another money squeezing scheme if you ask me. Sadly, I have also heard reports that Wyndham is not maintaining the other Pahio properties very well either. I'd be interested to see what your lawyer says.

we are Pahio owner since 2004. We own a 2 bedroom 2 bath penthouse unit. We visited there last summer and wanted to see how things were going. We requested a room close to the pool. We did receive our request. We went to the presentation to see what was going on with Wyndham because we were concerned. We were told in order for the Pahio buildings to be upgraded to Whyndham quality a certain percentage of pahio owners had to buy into wyndham. Which means fairshare points or another unit. We own 3 timeshares and aren't interested in buying anymore. We thought our best move would be to sit and wait and see what happens. I can't believe wyndham would leave certain buildings unkept. Where would our maintence fees be going to then? Plus they would get a lot of complaints and their gold crown rating would go down. I do think that we should be given an equal chance to stay in one of the newer buildings. It should go to whoever gets their reservation in first gets first dibs on where they want to stay, unless the person that is putting in a reservation is the owner of that particular unit. We will continue to go there once every 5 years to keep an eye on what's going on. We live in Michigan so it's a long trip for us to be going more than that.

Rachel O.
Aug 26, 2008

Thanks for your replies.I mailed in my reservation by August 1st 2008 for Oct 2009.I should hear from them by Oct 2008 as to what I'm assigned.I was given an updated map at the time of my purchase in 2006 with buildings #12-18 on it.I requested several options including buildings they say I'm not suppose to be eligible for as I'm a Pahio owner.I'm waiting to see what happens.I've reread my contract and different news releases and am waiting to see how they respond before I go to lawyer.I think it's cute that I was persuaded to buy given the impression that was based on newer map of complex,plus with impression that I was a Wyndham owner,etc.there was no suggestion at that time of separate status nor any after they unilaterally made this decision to leave best buildings for Fairshare Plus program owners.

Ellen M.
Sep 14, 2008

My wife and I just got back from Bali Hi Villas. We are Pahio owners from way back, when the project only had two buildings. We were upgraded into building 8, 1 bdrm/2bath which was one of the last buildings Pahio finished before selling to Wyndham. We were pressured by Wyndham to purchase points, the minimum of which go for $16,000. We own other timeshare units also, so we have no need to buy more at present. Wyndham did say they would be upgrading all the buildings, even the older Pahio ones, though they did mention the thing about those units being constructed below their standards (which does not make any sense). Long story short, we did not purchase any additional time/points with Wyndham and probably never will purchase anything from Wyndham based on this encounter. They told us that at some point we will be relegated to using our unit, which we purchased as floating time, to a specific date range and unit in building 2. If you do hire an attorney and he wants to speak with other Pahio owners, my email is watling at earthlink dot net. We have always loved going to our home at Bali Hi Villas about every 2 years. But no more. I will probably try to sell the unit and buy somewhere else in Hawaii, though we will miss going there. We love Princeville and that side of the island.

Bill W.
Sep 14, 2008

see above message

Bill W.
Sep 17, 2008

Hi, I read your message about your lawyer talking to other pahio owners. We own a 2 bedroom 2 bath penthouse unit since 2003. I would be more than happy to talk to your lawyer concerning the situation at Bali Hai. It is really sad that they just can not accomodate the pahio owners in their takeover of Bali Hai. I really will be unhappy if they confine us to only using our unit and week we own. We have been always able to go whenever we have requested and our request has been honored when we have asked for a unit by the pool. I hope it doesn't come down to that because we will have to use our points for other resorts then. We were planing on coming back many years that's why we bought here.

Rachel O.
Nov 12, 2008

Hey everyone - I'm a 2BR 2BA original Pahio owner. I'm not sure everyone is aware of it, but Wyndham actually owns RCI. That just adds another way they can mess with you.

I've noticed RCI exchanges aren't working the way they did several years ago, and it's harder and harder to exchange for what you want. Seems that the Wyndham properties are overvalued compared to the other non-Wyndham resorts (gee, why does that not suprise me?).

I'm probably going to have to get out of all my timeshares in the near future, and I know that's going to be a losing proposition. (sigh)

Paul B.
Nov 12, 2008

Hello all, I have been issued a confirmation without any indication of what building.I'll be going Oct 2009.I also will not be purchasing any points.I'll see what they say when I get there and what kind of unit I'm assigned. Ellen ellenm113

Ellen M.
Nov 13, 2008

They treat you real nice until they find out you are not going to purchase any additional points. Then they treat you like second class citizens (maybe even a little less).

They should confirm you a specific unit 12 months out. If they do not, you should contact VIP owner/guest services and ask for a specific unit confirmation. I would not wait until arrival, because then they might stick you anywhere, using the excuse of "no availability" for what you wanted.

They will try to accomodate you until they find out you are not going to buy into their new plan. Then they change completely and treat you like an annoyance to them. So take advantage of getting everything you want BEFORE you have your talk with them about buying more points. Hope you have a good time!

Actually, if we needed or wanted more time/points I would probably buy at Bali Hai Villas from Wyndham. We love the property and their pricing is really not that much compared to some others we looked at. It's just that we ALREADY purchased here and we do not need nor want additional time, so I do not like their techniques which border on blackmail.

Bill W.
Nov 14, 2008

I am a Shearwater weeks owner. This year when I reserved my 2 weeks for 2009, the first week I was given a room assignment. The second week which was in the next month did not have one. When I called to inquire I was told that they were no longer assigning rooms in advance. However when I was at the resort last summer I was told that Wyndham Points people could get a specific room assignment 14 months ahead. It seems like another way to sucker us into buying into Fairshare. I am quite upset about this, but as of yet have not found out a way to contact the owner's association to attempt to fix this.

Jeremy M.
Feb 22, 2010

I too am very disappointed in the lack of upkeep on the original units. (owner since 1999) Add me to your list as an owner that would like to hear how an attorney views this situation. mrssmith70(at)att.net

Judy S.
Aug 15, 2012

We at 1dr/2ba owners ince 2004. When visiting in 2009, they said they only offered discount coupons to restaurants,etc to presentation takers. In 2010 we did the 90 minute up date and had to walk out after nearly 3 hours, but we did get a $100 card that wife used towards her hawaiian bracelet(Walmart didnt charge tax or shipping). They repeatedly put down Pahio as not knowing what they were doing, etc. Typical high pressure 3 man tag team tactic. We still enjoy BH, just not the management. The 3/3 units did look nice if you really need fancy looking appliances and lighting fixtures at a premium price. ps If you want to get a week and don't care about the supposed wyndamn perks, ebay has weeks regularly for $1!

Gary D.
Mar 21, 2013

Hello all Bali Hai owners. I've been reading all your comments and I'm hoping someone will be able to answer a couple of questions I have. First off, I was shocked to hear Wyndham owns RCI and I do agree, RCI makes it very difficult to exchange for what you want. We have had a request for specific resorts on the Hawaiian Islands since March, 2011!! We have a 3 bedroom 3 bath on hold for the Wyndham Bali Hai Villas PR, RCI resort code #A934. Can anyone tell me the difference between that one and the Syndham Bali Hai Villas, RCI resort code #3031, (note this one does not have the PR in the listing) I heard there are penthouses but when I called the resort they said there are only 2 floors and hmmmmm I suppose the 2nd floor would be considered the penthouse (that's what the girl at the front desk said). Can anyone give me an idea if you've been back since these problems began for you original owners and if things have improved for you. We are traveling with my pregnant daughter and her family and I'm trying to get an idea of what building I should request so we are away from the construction noise but also in a renovated unit. I hate when these large companies take over our "feel at home" resorts. Diamond just took over 1 of our home resorts and it has been a nightmare! Any help would really be appreciated. Thanks

Mary B.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.