Timeshare Companies

Diamond Resorts reduces owner benefits again!

Oct 27, 2011

I just want to ad another observation about a recent reservation that we made for next month.. I was just sent the pre arrival notice, instead of the 31,000 points we bought annually for the 2 week oceanfront membership, they have increased the points required for this interval & category by @ 13% to 35,000 points... Another lie comes into play here as they told us 'point blank to a question I asked when we bought this, if that was going to be the permanent point cost for the 2 week oceanfront interval... So not only do the continue to raise the annual fee's, now they have reduced the benefit of our points... The level of fraud here is beyond belief... I called them today, to ask several questions about the reduced units over this next 5 years, about being able to roll over the points into future years, and they refused to even discuss it, then I asked what was their policy if we choose to surrender our membership (paid for in cash) and just walk away giving them our $ 55,000, and they said it would go to foreclosure, foreclose what I asked there is no mortgage, they said for the annual fee's, but we would no longer be using it and we gave you $ 55,000 plus we have 62,000 points for 2012... Are we indentured members forever..? I cannot image any court or any jury awarding them a judgement for costs to a membership that you no longer use, that was paid for... This is Akin to the "Twighlight Zone"...

Michael D.
Oct 27, 2011

sherik43 wrote:
to michaeld414; i wrote an earlier post on page 18 regarding point owners, it was addressed to laurieb. it discusses what i learned from the Collections Dept. Supervisor. he explained what will happen according to the ABC policy (Assessment Billing Collection policy). in short, just do not pay the assessment and they will not pursue you legally. read the post and call the supervisor and go through the policy point by point taking notes or, better yet, record the conversation. the ABC policy is with your annual statement. they view deeds differently. they foreclose on deeds.

If were a weeks owner and converted to points and you surrendered you deed, there is essentially nothing for them to gain through a foreclosure, they already have the deed. If you are a points owner and did not surrender your deed, then I would presume they will foreclose in order to obtain the deed. If you have been a points owner from the beginning, I would presume again no foreclosure is needed unless you were issued a deed. I think what you have in lieu of a deed is a "certificate" of points owned.

Gary B.
Oct 27, 2011

Hi michaeld414,

What you have written - this is the heart of the scam with DRI. Here's another scam that has recently been exposed in this video with confessions from the scammer: http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/confessions-gold-scammer/story?id=14824124

Parallels: 1)Preying on those who have the funds, and 2)looking for a point of leverage - for us, it wasn't greed, it was the love of our families and time together with them "insured" for years to come with this upfront point system. Finally, 3)the actual commodity isn't there....(for you)

Perhaps this hasn't happened to you yet, but as I've shared in earlier posts, I've printed out statements from the online inquiry system that show the units in our "home" of Sedona as unavailable to us for a period with our points, but available to non-members. And, this unavailability extends for months and months for us (while still available to them). This means, I don't get what I paid for. It is used to lure others who believe that the law will stop scammers. The law stops such scamming, I assume, in order that business dealings will have a level of trust/lawfulness/truthfulness which is needed if any economy can stand.

Also, when I once tried to get a unit in another location, as a member, and then as a non-member, I was to pay about $500 for a few nights (using my maintenance fee cost spread) as a member. Yet when I experimented on the non-member rate, I found I would pay only $99 for the few nights. And, they would give me a $100 Visa card if I went to one of their presentations as a non-member. They only want to lure more families into lies - that they know they won't keep, obtaining additional funds which will pay for more to be lured and hurt.

And this is why I want a class-action suit with YouTube and lots of Facebook information for all the world to see. When you type Diamond Resorts, the first page will hopefully contain a title "Beware of DRI, Timeshare Scam!"

Cindy K.
Oct 28, 2011

:)

Tammy S.

Last edited by tammy326 on Jan 18, 2012 02:07 PM

Oct 28, 2011

Gary that posted above, does your last name start w/ a "B" & end w/ an "e"?? If this is you then I am correct that you have been an owner for a longtime and own both points & deeded??

Keith P.
Oct 28, 2011

kpaul5257 wrote:
Gary that posted above, does your last name start w/ a "B" & end w/ an "e"?? If this is you then I am correct that you have been an owner for a longtime and own both points & deeded??

Yes and yes. I have been an owner for several years and own primarily weeks but do own a few points in the trust in order to be able to participate in the club.

Gary B.
Oct 30, 2011

I would be happy to join you and help with expenses in you lawsuit against DRI. We are Hawaii Collection owners who have been lied to repeatedly.

Colleen B.
Oct 30, 2011

I to another angry timeshare buyer from diamond resorts. From what I have been reading on line is that diamond has known about what ever problems they r having at the point at poipu resort from some time. You would think that they would have to disclose this issue before making the sail. I for one would have never bought in 2008 and then again in 2009 if they had disclosed any information in which they knew about prior to 2008. Does anyone know info regarding when Diamond knew of the problem? Please email me at Matt Krekovich@yahoo.com. Thank you

Matt K.
Oct 30, 2011

All, Hawaii attorney Bill McKeon is currently looking into a class action suit and will have a better assessment of things within the next 2 weeks. Please contact his firm and provide your information as his list is growing each day. The firm's information is located at: www.mimhawaii.com

The Hawaii statute requires a full disclosure of material facts that are known or should have been known. It is my understanding that the water intrusion problem has been going on for several years and they failed to provide a full disclosure on repairs, maintenance and special assessments when my wife and I asked them before signing up in 2009. Had they provided a full disclosure when we asked we would have never joined.

Jeffrey H.
Oct 30, 2011

I understand that they are selling memberships today and not disclosing the water intrusion assessment...

Michael D.
Oct 31, 2011

Can you clarify to the difference between point and week owners. I feel there are so many options, I have no idea. I own a deeded week, but we are given points every year. I have no more mortgage, as I paid it off. I'm pissed off, and was verbally lied to, but I don't think I have an actual legal lie I can catch them in.

Dan K.
Oct 31, 2011

I would like to encourage every member to file a complaint with the Hawaii Better Business Bureau, you can file the complaint online in 10 minutes... So take the time to start adding pressure on Diamond Resorts International management and sales organization...

Michael D.
Oct 31, 2011

www.poipuowners.org/ is the group that is dedicated to regaining control of the resort

David L.
Oct 31, 2011

Please also file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission (unfair and deceptive practices) and Securities Exchange Commission (not fully disclosing financials and stating the timeshare is a great investment and will increase in value) to put additional presssure on DRI.

Jeffrey H.
Oct 31, 2011

I would like to know how we can contact those sites from St Maarten as I would like to add all that is going on here. DRI and Stephen Cloobeck should surely be investigated as I wrote on the site www.canyou trustthem.com and was verified by the Judge in the Court and again in the Court of Appeals after Stephenm CLOOBECK tried to sue me for slander. HE LOST>>>This case needs to be used in Hawaii as well. If you want the judgments I have them for you.,...

Pamela J.
Oct 31, 2011

I am under the impression that when you say "the deeded owners are dedicated to regainning ownership of the resort" you are not refering to the "Points Members" as having any legitimate claim to their weeks or points... I had a conversation with your groups President when you first formed, and he seemed to imply that.... " If that is not your position, would you please clarify what your position is... "

Michael D.
Nov 01, 2011

The group will be working to everybody's benefit. I doubt that many would say that we derive any real benefits from having the current management company...

David L.
Nov 01, 2011

This from a news report 10/25/2011

"Chairman of the Corporation for Travel Promotion and Diamond Resorts International® Chairman and CEO gave speech introducing President Obama"

Who thinks that any help is forthcoming from any branch of the Federal Govt?

John W.
Nov 01, 2011

Hi jdub001,

Can you give a link for that news report you've just mentioned on CEO of DRI introducing Pres. Obama? Thanks

Cindy K.
Nov 01, 2011

http://my.news.yahoo.com/photos/u-president-barack-obama-introduced-stephen-cloobeck-chairman-photo-200710803.html

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2011/10/prweb8910217.htm

http://meetingsnet.com/associationmeetings/news/corporation_for_travel_promotion_board_0913/

Keith P.

Last edited by kpaul5257 on Jan 29, 2012 03:18 PM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.