Timeshare Companies

Diamond Resorts reduces owner benefits again!

Apr 11, 2012

I have now read the Federal Class Action lawsuit filed by the lawyers on behalf of COPP and its members... Congratulations, this is a well thought out complaint, very well documented as to the claims of all of those concerned.. I want to publically thank Kieth Paulsen and the COPP board of directors for a job very well done... I believe that if you have the staying power, you will be successful as the truth will support its success... It will be a long struggle as DRI will stall and obfuscate, they will delay and challenge at every junction of this journey, but in the end this will shed a huge light on the Time Share Industry... Thanks from all of us who doubted

Michael D.
Apr 27, 2012

(In response to the person who is thinking about going to yet another DRI presentation for points/upgrades) Please NO! Please contact the Attorney General in Arizona. DRI has been breaking laws and for 2 years AZ has been dragging their feet on my complaint about this, including sending my complaint to NV which of course sent it back because this law was broken in AZ.

Call them at 602-771-7771(Ms. Dobbins) or 602-542-7932 (Ms. Quevas). Let them know you're yet another DRI "owner" that wants to have your contract cancelled due to broken laws. IF they tell you to get your own lawyer, consider just this step - small claims court. In AZ you get back only $2500, but it's worth it to let DRI know that you won't let yourself and others be ripped off by them!

Cindy K.

Last edited by cindyk175 on Apr 27, 2012 01:10 PM

May 21, 2012

Hi, I have read your message and wondered if you had an update re surrendering points and the law suit? M

Maureen D.
May 21, 2012

Can you cite the specific laws they broke?

Dan K.
May 21, 2012

dank162 wrote:
Can you cite the specific laws they broke?

Have you read the lawsuit...? I doubt you have if you ask that question... They broke many very specific RE Regulations, failed in their fiduciary responsibilities, and the list is long... Not to mention the (in my opinion) outright fraud against many many individuals... You sound likde a Diamond Employee

Michael D.
May 21, 2012

I am not a DRI employee, but I am interested in what laws they broke. As of now there is nothing but Alleged broken laws or violations. If in fact they did break laws then the appropriate punishment should be given to them. However, if this was a lot of nothing and there are in fact no real violations, I will be mad because those legal fees will be placed on the owners. That will really piss me off. Our maintenance fees are high enough!

Charles S.
May 21, 2012

In our legal system EVERYTHING is just "alleged" until the court rules.

David L.
May 22, 2012

charless345 wrote:
I am not a DRI employee, but I am interested in what laws they broke. As of now there is nothing but Alleged broken laws or violations. If in fact they did break laws then the appropriate punishment should be given to them. However, if this was a lot of nothing and there are in fact no real violations, I will be mad because those legal fees will be placed on the owners. That will really piss me off. Our maintenance fees are high enough!

The issues raised in the lawsuit are very significant, "READ THE LAWSUIT", if you had you will see very specific allegations made, that are substantiated.... The fee's you are afraid of that have risen, will continue to rise if DRI is not held to account for its many violations of their fiduciary responsibilities to the membership... The water intrusion costs alone are a fraud against many members who where not informed about the problem when they purchased their memberships, and that problem was known by DRI but hidden, a violation of "Full Disclosure", the only way to shed light on their violations is to force the issue not bury your head in ignorance of the reality..

Michael D.
May 22, 2012

I watched the Undercover Boss show and responded to the survey that followed. I felt Stephen Cloobeck came off as very pompous and self-centered. The little generousity he showed was no skinn off his back--it came from DRI. He was extremely off-putting.

Donna B.
May 22, 2012

michaeld414 wrote:
charless345 wrote:

The issues raised in the lawsuit are very significant, "READ THE LAWSUIT", if you had you will see very specific allegations made, that are substantiated.... The fee's you are afraid of that have risen, will continue to rise if DRI is not held to account for its many violations of their fiduciary responsibilities to the membership... The water intrusion costs alone are a fraud against many members who where not informed about the problem when they purchased their memberships, and that problem was known by DRI but hidden, a violation of "Full Disclosure", the only way to shed light on their violations is to force the issue not bury your head in ignorance of the reality..

Like I said, if proven guilty then throw the book at them. If not then people need to shut up and stop complaining. I have read many a lawsuit that said a whole bunch of alleged wrongdoings that on first glance one would believe their guilty. However, I have come to learn that you have to hear both sides and our system does let everyone have their day in court.

My thing is that on these boards every single timeshare company has unhappy people for whatever reason complain about them. DRI is no different. RCI had a settlement that needed attention and there was a judgment that was upheld against them. I am sure if the facts reveal that there is wrongdoing by DRI, the courts will act accordingly.

However, if in fact DRI is vindicated I don't want to hear any more about the ripoff of the Point @ Poipu owners. Things need to be fixed and no one can force you to sell your deed. I only state these because they are the most common complaints I hear from the Point Owners.

Believe it or not, there are many happy owners as well. No one likes increases in maintenance fees, especially me. I own in two timeshare systems and the maintenance fees go up each year in both of them. I actually get a better deal with my maintenance fees with DRI than I do with my other and I can stay many more weeks with DRI.

For the record, I am no ostrich. I pay very close attention to DRI budgets, their rules and by laws and I have read all information in their contracts. I say this to state that I am a knowledgeable owner within their points system.

Charles S.
May 23, 2012

I also don't like dealing with higher fees, and I feel that DRI changing the system we had under Sunterra so that you have to join the Club or pay additional fees for internal exchanges is a ripoff. On the plus side, DRI does offer several options for using points, and I have been pleased with the resort vacations I have had through their system. Nevertheless, if they have acted illegally with one resort, they are likely to do it with others. We should all follow this lawsuit intently.

Annette R.
May 23, 2012

charless345 wrote:
michaeld414 wrote:
charless345 wrote:

Like I said, if proven guilty then throw the book at them. If not then people need to shut up and stop complaining. I have read many a lawsuit that said a whole bunch of alleged wrongdoings that on first glance one would believe their guilty. However, I have come to learn that you have to hear both sides and our system does let everyone have their day in court.

My thing is that on these boards every single timeshare company has unhappy people for whatever reason complain about them. DRI is no different. RCI had a settlement that needed attention and there was a judgment that was upheld against them. I am sure if the facts reveal that there is wrongdoing by DRI, the courts will act accordingly.

However, if in fact DRI is vindicated I don't want to hear any more about the ripoff of the Point @ Poipu owners. Things need to be fixed and no one can force you to sell your deed. I only state these because they are the most common complaints I hear from the Point Owners.

Believe it or not, there are many happy owners as well. No one likes increases in maintenance fees, especially me. I own in two timeshare systems and the maintenance fees go up each year in both of them. I actually get a better deal with my maintenance fees with DRI than I do with my other and I can stay many more weeks with DRI.

For the record, I am no ostrich. I pay very close attention to DRI budgets, their rules and by laws and I have read all information in their contracts. I say this to state that I am a knowledgeable owner within their points system.

If you are so happy with DRI, WHY ARE YOU HERE....?? Are you happy that DRI has a majority representation on the Board of Directors, in violation of the Rules and Regulations that you claim to have read... I visited the Point at Poipu in November 2011, and asked for a meeting with a DRI management representative. They hussled us into a sales presentation, I stopped them and said that in no way am I buying anything from them, I have questions I would like answered, and documents you have said are available in regards to the 'water intrusion fee'... They walked away from us and refused to talk.. I called the Resort management and complained, as we had stated prior to our arrival we wished a meeting, "NOT A SALES PRESENTATION", and they apologized and and said that a DRI Officer would contact us, as they did, but only to set up another sales meeting, this happened 3 time... I have been a Real Estate professional, RE Developer, Contractor for over 40 years... I know when things are being hidden, obfuscated and misrepsented... If it looks like a fraud, if it sounds like a fraud, then most likely it is in my opinion a FRAUD... If they want us all to shut up and go away, then return our members points fee's, in our case it is @ $ 55,000 we paid in cash...

Michael D.
May 23, 2012

michaeld414 wrote:
charless345 wrote:
michaeld414 wrote:
charless345 wrote:

If you are so happy with DRI, WHY ARE YOU HERE....?? Are you happy that DRI has a majority representation on the Board of Directors, in violation of the Rules and Regulations that you claim to have read... I visited the Point at Poipu in November 2011, and asked for a meeting with a DRI management representative. They hussled us into a sales presentation, I stopped them and said that in no way am I buying anything from them, I have questions I would like answered, and documents you have said are available in regards to the 'water intrusion fee'... They walked away from us and refused to talk.. I called the Resort management and complained, as we had stated prior to our arrival we wished a meeting, "NOT A SALES PRESENTATION", and they apologized and and said that a DRI Officer would contact us, as they did, but only to set up another sales meeting, this happened 3 time... I have been a Real Estate professional, RE Developer, Contractor for over 40 years... I know when things are being hidden, obfuscated and misrepsented... If it looks like a fraud, if it sounds like a fraud, then most likely it is in my opinion a FRAUD... If they want us all to shut up and go away, then return our members points fee's, in our case it is @ $ 55,000 we paid in cash...

Michaeld, this forum is not just for complaining and ranting which so many feel that they can do because they are faceless and nameless. The purpose of the forum is to have discussion about issues.

Yes, I am happy about my ownership. I get what I signed up for. No one has tried to rip me off at least that I am aware of at this time. I have always been in the points system with Epic to Sunterra to DRI so I have not had a deeded week for anyone to offer me points for. I like my options. I like that I have 30,000 points that allow me to do quite a bit. Like I said before, I don't like the maintenance fees increases like everyone else, but I like the way the resorts are looking and being maintained much more than the way Sunterra was doing it.

My point again is if all that you and this lawsuit are saying true, then let the legal system do its job and move on. What I believe will happen one way or another is that people will not be happy regardless of the court's outcome. People want to believe and listen to what they want. So unfortunately, the rants and complain witll continue.

Charles S.
May 24, 2012

It is the only forum that they have to voice their complaints... The hidden and seperated business entity is a corporation from Conneticutt, housing their operation in Las Vegas, operating resorts in many other states... Those who have been defrauded are small individual people and have shallow pockets and unable to spend the tens of thousands of dollars that a redress of their grievences would cost... The forums provided are to warn other's of these frauds... If I can be suckered into this, then anyone can be... I was told several outright lies in our sales and purchase period... Those lies were material facts that had I known the reality, would NEVER have bought.. In doing my due diligence those facts were very well hidden from anyones discovery, when I called back before the recission date was up, I was again lied to and assured of those facts being correct.. Only to find out the truth almost a year later...A clear fraud in my opinion, your assertion that "these complainers are costing you added fee's is just the tip of the this fraud in my view... Ending DRI's management rights to the "Point at Poipu" is a first step that if there were an honest Board Of Directors would be an easy act to accomplish... So, keeping the membership rolls hidden, and the attempts to elect an honest Board to represent the interest of the members is what DRI's is spending your fee's on...

Michael D.
May 24, 2012

Charless345 you do sound like a shill. They are not hard to spot. Lots of people are unhappy with DRI and most don't have a cause of action they could take to court. My maintenance fees are now so high that it is not a good deal any more. They are just squeezing me. This forum is for people to air their concerns. If it bothers you than why don't you not revisit this thread?

Robert R.
May 24, 2012

It seems that Charless345 may be hoping to get somebody to make an inappropriate statement. We should all please stop engaging in discourse with him.

David L.
May 24, 2012

robertr558 wrote:
Charless345 you do sound like a shill. They are not hard to spot. Lots of people are unhappy with DRI and most don't have a cause of action they could take to court. My maintenance fees are now so high that it is not a good deal any more. They are just squeezing me. This forum is for people to air their concerns. If it bothers you than why don't you not revisit this thread?

No, I am not a shill but why do I have to be since I disagree with others' opinion. That's my point. Michaeld stated that I should not be on this board if I like my membership. Well, that is ridiculous. People who feel differently than those who complain have just as much a right to share their opinion as do all of the complainers or unhappy folks.

I am sure I would not be happy to if I had to pay a nearly $6000 special assessment, especially if I could have been forewarned about the condition of the property. However, because I say let's see the facts before we come to any judgment which is what our court system does. If that's your attitude and you live in the USA, then you are in the wrong country. That's not how we operate. We don't shoot first and ask questions later.

You are welcome to your opinions and I am mine. I guess we will have to agree to disagree as it pertains to how business should be conducted.

Charles S.
May 25, 2012

You failed to answer the question about DRI having three seats on a five member Board of Directors... They are authorized one according to the filed documents... When I asked about it at my meetings with them, there answer was "That is just a bunch of internet gossip", a quote from the head of DRI's sales team... Yes you are entitled to your opinion, when it is in line with the actual facts, otherwise it only serves the interests of DRI's management

Michael D.
May 26, 2012

Control of Boards is my issue with DRI. Although I am not an owner at Poipu, I joined COPP because of that issue. I don't know if it is illegal, but it is certainly unethical. i believe this is the norm with DRI and not an exception with Poipu (I know it is true at my resort). When owners trade in their ownerships for points, I think that DRI then controls the voting rights to that ownership. Since they have convinced many owners to do that in exchange for points, DRI then "legally" casts their votes for DRI employees who run for the local board. Without any means to organize resort owners, there is no way to overcome the huge voting block that DRI controls, thereby insuring that their employees are elected. Clearly that becomes a conflict of interest since an employee will do the bidding of their employer if it means keeping their job and potentially a raise in pay.

Larry S.
May 27, 2012

Charless345 was expressing satisfaction with his DRI membership two years ago in some posts I happened across. So I suppose he is a sincere happy DRI owner. But even he was expressing some displeasure with the increases in maintenance fees.

None the less, social media is an important and powerful tool against corporate exploitation so keep complaining. And if you can get a lawsuit together, go for it. DRI uses questionable tactics to control and exploit its members. I am sorry to have fallen into the clutches of Steve Cloobeck and Diamond Resorts International.

Robert R.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.