Timeshare Companies

Diamond Resorts reduces owner benefits again!

Jan 11, 2013

Please advise of (class action) law suit for fraud as many have been negatively impacted by this fraud, and the recent settelement does not really compensate us for being swindled.

The settlement keeps the mindboggling swindling going even further.

Please advise of a link or e-mail to join the suit for fraud.

Traci L.
Jan 11, 2013

We plan to sue for fraud when the class action gets into the discovery process, as they knew about the water intrusion damage before we bought into DRI... As I believe any one who bought memberships before the Damage was disclosed, and discovery shows the date the damage was known, if they failed to disclose that damage and its potential costs, its a clear case of fraud... _________________________________________________________________

Please post about suit for fraud--many are interested in joining.

Traci L.
Jan 11, 2013

Hi, I have a draft quit claim deed, however the resort would have to pay something in 'good consideration' this can be just one dollar. However, unless the resort owner agrees to the quit claim deed I dont think it would be legal - otherwise you could transfer anything to anyone without their knowledge!

Steve A.
Jan 12, 2013

Yes, PLEASE keep us informed on Class Action Suit for fraud.

Colleen B.
Jan 12, 2013

PLEASE, PLEASE email me if you hear anything about a class action sit againt DRI for fraud. I am in the same boat - had banked points, then hit with a huge bill. IK now owe about $9500.00 and have not heard a thing from DRI. I own-no mortgage. rjb33@sbcglobal.net Thank you so much Colleen B.

Colleen B.
Jan 12, 2013

no sure which robert are adressing. sold one tc for $250 and the other one for $500. did not just walk away from them. the 2013 maint. fee would have been $890 at surrey grand crowne.

Robert S.
Jan 13, 2013

There is no Class Action suit for fraud... The class action suit brought by COPP group was settled out of court, or bought off as there was very little settlement and it will bring NO changes as to how DRI works... So many of us feel sold out by the COPP group, we would have liked for it to continue at least through the discovery phase of the civil ligation process, as that would have shown the evidence of their ongoing fraud... DRI knew that and would use every legal tactic to delay and obfuscate as long as they could to make the cost go as high as possible to discourage the continuation...

Civil suits are like a 'Wild West Poker Game' if you have a huge amount of money to spent (DRI is using member's money to defend themselves), so those bringing this action are actually paying for DRI's defense... So when COPP sold out to DRI, it effectively ended any chance of a suit for fraud unless the Attorney General of the State of Nevada or a State where a resort is located files a criminal case against DRI...

Michael D.
Jan 13, 2013

As I understand, COPP originally engaged the law firm for the suit. However, COPP was NOT the plaintiff in the suit. COPP only learned of the settlement AFTER it was reached. There did not seem to be any question as to whether or not there was damage to the resort. There would have been inspections made on behalf of the plaintiffs by the law firm. As there was no mention nor any revision in the suit with regard to fraud in the damage assessment, I feel confident that the damage was substantiated. The suit also sought to remedy the enormous upfront fees on the water intrusion assessment. The settlement did get the amount due for the next two years reduced. In years 4 and 5 the funds are now going to be collected ONLY as necessitated by the final phase of the project. If the project is on or under budget, the funds collected will be reduced. Also, if you read the settlement agreement, there is NOTHING in it that precludes fraud litigation. It even says right in the agreement!

David L.
Jan 13, 2013

You can make it sound any way you like... The fact is that the suit you filed and the settlement reached will not change one penny's worth of DRI's management practice or any meaningful change in the Board... They just defrauded you again...

my opinion only, but it is shared by a large number of Members and former members

I Told you in the beginning that the process would be long and expensive, and DRI would do anything to keep from making their records public or having an adversary lawyers examine them. because they have been defrauding new members since they became involved... As long as DRI can vote the ever increasing membership in the "Hawaii Collection" of points members, your efforts to gain any control over the Board of Directors is futile... The fraud will continue unabated...

Michael D.
Jan 15, 2013

I stated from the beginning that we needed to wait to see what the courts say. The settlement has been reached as there obviously was damage to the resort. It's over. Let's move away from this and live our lives and have fun as this timeshare was suppose to do when we bought it.

I am a part of a group of DRI owners on Facebook that really like DRI and its points system. They enjoy their experiences. That does not mean that they are mindless individuals who are ignorantly blissful. They have questions at times and have concerns like others about DRI. However, the goal is to seek answers in a positive way to help us owners to get the maximum from their memberships.

I believe that those of us who are timeshare owners need to understand that there is no perfect system and there are pluses and minuses to having timeshares.

Charles S.
Jan 15, 2013

There was never any question as to if there was damage... It is when was the damage known, was it disclosed to potential members, and if not then a FRAUD was committed... Blissful you are, and a DRI plant I ssuspect... How can anyone enjoy a resort when you always feel ripped off... Of course then you believe in the tooth ferry I suspect

Michael D.
Jan 15, 2013

Our timeshare (Monarch Grand) was just bought out by DRI. this form makes me very nervous. I've been with MG for 10 yrs and our fees have never gone up, (unless we upgraded to a bigger point plan). I'm not happy to read all this

Julie B.
Jan 15, 2013

julieb608 wrote:
Our timeshare (Monarch Grand) was just bought out by DRI. this form makes me very nervous. I've been with MG for 10 yrs and our fees have never gone up, (unless we upgraded to a bigger point plan). I'm not happy to read all this

Julie, if your maintenance fees never went up then you would be one of a rare few in the timeshare industry. I don't like that DRI's maintenance fees have gone up, but I do like going to well maintained resorts. I live in California near a couple of MG resorts. I visited a couple of them and they are in need of great maintenance. I would be uncomfortable staying at them and having family or friends stay there. So looking at the conditions of the resorts and the fact that MG was in financial trouble may be the reason why DRI was able to buy them out. I am not saying DRI is perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but I do like staying at the resorts and I like the many locations they have around the world.

Charles S.
Jan 15, 2013

michaeld414 wrote:
There was never any question as to if there was damage... It is when was the damage known, was it disclosed to potential members, and if not then a FRAUD was committed... Blissful you are, and a DRI plant I ssuspect... How can anyone enjoy a resort when you always feel ripped off... Of course then you believe in the tooth ferry I suspect

Not a plant and if you went to our Facebook site you would see that for sure. I just disagree with you that is all.

Charles S.
Jan 15, 2013

Is there any more coming on the class action suit for PoP and the HI collection? Was anyone ever able to get any proof that DRI knew about the damages long before they disclosed it? I'm asking because I'm completely sold there was some mis-representation here. When we bought in 2007, a sales person at a rival resort told us that they had a huge renovation bill coming up soon and I should ask them about it. Well I did and they showed me a number of documents about room improvements, and new carpets and BS like that and assured me it's part of the existing maintenance fees and there was nothing else on the horizon. I actually believed them and chalked it up to a sales pitch by the rival resort. Now looking back I question the whole thing. Any one else have any stories like this or heard of it with DRI and PoP? I'm definitely going to voice our objections to the settlement and relate this story to the court. If anyone else has some similar stories I'd encourage them to also!

Peter G.

Last edited by peterg213 on Jan 15, 2013 08:22 PM

Jan 15, 2013

peterg213 wrote:
Is there any more coming on the class action suit for PoP and the HI collection? Was anyone ever able to get any proof that DRI knew about the damages long before they disclosed it? I'm asking because I'm completely sold there was some mis-representation here. When we bought in 2007, a sales person at a rival resort told us that they had a huge renovation bill coming up soon and I should ask them about it. Well I did and they showed me a number of documents about room improvements, and new carpets and BS like that and assured me it's part of the existing maintenance fees and there was nothing else on the horizon. I actually believed them and chalked it up to a sales pitch by the rival resort. Now looking back I question the whole thing. Any one else have any stories like this or heard of it with DRI and PoP? I'm definitely going to voice our objections to the settlement and relate this story to the court. If anyone else has some similar stories I'd encourage them to also!

i am not sure when you bought, but DRI officially closed on taking over Sunterra in April 2007. I don't know if there is any more coming on the lawsuit. From what has been posted, there was a settlement already.

Charles S.
Jan 16, 2013

peterg213 wrote:

Yes, you are right to question the whole thing... I have been a real estate developer for over 40 years, and I have more than a dozen serious questions when we invested... Several were about the condition of the facility, questions about the damage done by hurricane Inikii, and I got much the same... I also asked about membership numbers (units x's 51 weeks) and if there were any different class's of ownership beyond the 'Points' members... I got nothing but lies about every question asked, but found the truth later than the 7 day rescission period... The class action suit was another fraud, a sell out... The legal action never got to any procedural steps, beyond a few letters from lawyers to lawyers... Discovery would still have been 6 months to a year away, and DRI was going to use every delay tactic available, to prevent any discovery process where its records would be open to the attorney's of record for the plaintiff's to research for evidence of fraud...

None of us individually have the financial resources to challenge a huge corporate money pit that uses its member's money to defend itself from its member's inquiries... In my opinion DRI is an ongoing fraud, sit in on one of their sales presentation, and ask a serious question, its evident that truth is not on their agenda, sales bonus's are... They have sold far more memberships (points) than they have units x's weeks in all their resort properties... That is why most time share companies went to the points system, its selling air and dreams, neither can fill a small bag...

Michael D.
Jan 17, 2013

Is it possible for all of us current and former discontented and ripped-off DRI owners to get together and pursue fraud and damages claims against DRI. Can we start to organize here. how many people are willing to participate??

Traci L.
Jan 17, 2013

tracil45 wrote:
Is it possible for all of us current and former discontented and ripped-off DRI owners to get together and pursue fraud and damages claims against DRI. Can we start to organize here. how many people are willing to participate??

You are a Johnny Come Lately to the party... I helped start the organization that later became COPP, but its focus was only on the 'Deeded Owners' , and had they gotten their stated goal which was to end DRI's management contract over the Point at Poipu, every points member would have lost 75% of their access to that resort property... I did pursue forming a group of 'Points Members' to file a suit for fraud, as I believe we were defrauded out of near $ 60,000... I would guess that the total is well into many Millions, and in my opinion a large continuing criminal enterprise and ongoing fraud.. Are you willing to put up $ 5,000 right now today, and get at least 50 to 100 others to do the same, then we would have a chance to at least get to the discovery process, short of that its a long struggle which I put 100's of hours into it already, only to watch COPP sell out to DRI...

Michael D.
Jan 17, 2013

The need to protect the points owners as well as the deeded owners was a stated reason for the change to COPP. Apparently they had no intention of causing harm to the points owners. Also, in reading the lawsuit and the subsequent settlement agreement I see no mention of COPP. It appears that although they may have been instrumental in the inception of the suit, they may have had little say in the final resolution of the suit.

David L.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.