General Discussion

Grupo Mayan

Aug 11, 2008

We own a Mayan Palace timeshare and will be using it this winter in Puerto Vallarta. We are undecided as to whether to attend the presentation at the resort depending what their "gifts" are and are wondering if anyone knows what their latest sales ploy is. I think they want everyone to upgrade to a Grand Mayan timeshare and notice that in Cabos they only built Grand Mayan.. and at Nuevo Vallarta you have to pay for the GM waterpark....If anyone out there owns Grand Mayan please tell me if and why you think this is better than Mayan Palace and what sort of offers they are making re upgrades. Thanks

Linda H.
Aug 12, 2008

You will probably get better responses at www.tugbbs.com as they have a forum specifically related to Mexico timeshares.

R P.
Aug 15, 2008

lindah499 wrote:
Just returned from the G>M> Riviera Maya last week. I am a Grand Mayan owner. I was disappointed because the Grand Mayan pool area, which is outstanding in Nuevo, was awful. The Mayan pool was where all the action was. In fact, the only advantage to being a Grand owner was your room and its location. Everything on the premises was Mayan Palace. We attended the presentation and received 10% off all food purchases including restaraunts, 1 free round of gold and 1 free massage, discounted rates on all excursions, and a load of crap! We were misled by our salesman, which we found out upon our returen home. Luckily we didn't upgrade. They were pushing the Grand Lux for a mere 399,999! When we declined several other people had to come and pitch lower upgrades and were not pleasant when we declined. My friends were there a few days after us and were pitched an entirely different product, The Grand Bliss. They upgraded, under the pretext that now they could rent their unit and make back their money in no time. We were told the same thing 2 years ago and I only was able to rent it on my own through this site. Be careful. They promise you the world and it doesn't ring true.

We own a Mayan Palace timeshare and will be using it this winter in Puerto Vallarta. We are undecided as to whether to attend the presentation at the resort depending what their "gifts" are and are wondering if anyone knows what their latest sales ploy is. I think they want everyone to upgrade to a Grand Mayan timeshare and notice that in Cabos they only built Grand Mayan.. and at Nuevo Vallarta you have to pay for the GM waterpark....If anyone out there owns Grand Mayan please tell me if and why you think this is better than Mayan Palace and what sort of offers they are making re upgrades. Thanks

Just returned from the G>M> Riviera Maya last week. I am a Grand Mayan owner. I was disappointed because the Grand Mayan pool area, which is outstanding in Nuevo, was awful. The Mayan pool was where all the action was. In fact, the only advantage to being a Grand owner was your room and its location. Everything on the premises was Mayan Palace. We attended the presentation and received 10% off all food purchases including restaraunts, 1 free round of gold and 1 free massage, discounted rates on all excursions, and a load of crap! We were misled by our salesman, which we found out upon our returen home. Luckily we didn't upgrade. They were pushing the Grand Lux for a mere 399,999! When we declined several other people had to come and pitch lower upgrades and were not pleasant when we declined. My friends were there a few days after us and were pitched an entirely different product, The Grand Bliss. They upgraded, under the pretext that now they could rent their unit and make back their money in no time. We were told the same thing 2 years ago and I only was able to rent it on my own through this site. Be careful. They promise you the world and it doesn't ring true.

Debra G.
Aug 15, 2008

As MP owners we canot use the pool area in the GM at Nuevo I understand or even pay for it. Can we use the kayaks at Sea Garden?

Linda H.
Aug 15, 2008

lindah499 wrote:
As MP owners we canot use the pool area in the GM at Nuevo I understand or even pay for it. Can we use the kayaks at Sea Garden?

As Groupo Mayan owners, my understanding is that you can use whatever is BELOW your status. Therefore, anything at Sea Gardens should be available to you. You can't use anything above, like Grand Mayan.

Debra G.
Sep 05, 2008

We bought GM last year. The sales "ploy" was how you can make a "rental income" off of your timeshare. They even provided the names of companies who will do this for you. We have put our GM timeshare up for rent with an individual who was not on the list and are pretty happy with her. We have rented one of our two weeks. I have put other timeshares up for rent with "companies" that were suggested by the sales people...no correspondence from them whatsoever and you have to pay money up front!! So, although the numbers look really good on paper, I would suggest that you NOT purchase for an investment. We really like the GM but had hoped that the rental aspect panned out better. Sales people are SO good over there!

Sharon C.
Sep 05, 2008

That's great! May I ask what you rented and how much you received? Also, would you be so kind as to share your agent"s name.

Debra G.
Sep 18, 2008

Speaking of Gran Mayan. Does anyone have any more information on Grand Lux? Current pricing, timing for availability, etc. I saw sales numbers for the Luxe (not Villa) around 79,000 for upgrades and 129,000 for new members. Two weeks per year, and 6 months booking. Has anyone seen similar pricing and/or have information on the timing of completion.

cheers

Keith A.
Sep 25, 2008

Own a grand luxxe villa. wrote letter of intent the first day it came on market and then a month later they changed offer to residence club so we bought at half the price... hahah. Ours is for 2 weeks a year but can split room into 4 times. Small one bedroom is 1200Sq.ft with 2 balcomies on end of building only 2 units per floor. Will have largest pools in mayan hotels also has 16 rounds of golf included per week. We go at least 2 times a year and will always go to mayan hotels as they are best anywhere. Only comparable unit is four seasons and they rent for 25,000 to 32,000 per week. I for one will love every minute of our Luxxe but hey if you are buying to rent do not bother. Only buy cause it is the best.

Rick F.
Sep 25, 2008

So what's the bottom line $ ????

Debra G.
Oct 03, 2008

message deleted

Gina H.

Last edited by ginah64 on Oct 15, 2008 10:55 AM

Oct 08, 2008

I cannot say this enough to people on the web, Grupo Mayan buyers...if you read your contract you will be an incredibly happy customer for buying the best vacations in Mexico, if not you will get buyers remorse. and blog aggresively about it....

I will paste here a post I have written for other people commenting about the same topic....Here it is:

By reading several reports I see online about Grupo Mayan Fraud, Grupo Mayan Scam, etc I have come to realize that 99% of the people complaining about the product they bought did not READ THE CONTRACT. My husband and I have been very happy owners of Grupo Mayan and proudly recommend it. We know several other members that are very happy with the product. It all comes down to EXPECTATIONS vs REALITY.

Obviously salesmen make the product sound amazing, and it IS...if you know what is real and what is not. The contract that I have from Grupo Mayan is very clear to state something along the lines of DO NOT PURCHASE FOR RENTAL OR INVESTMENT PURPOSES. It also says GRUPO MAYAN does not represent the rental market, or encourages rentals in anyway.

If you read the contract and still buy, you know you did it because Grupo Mayan has the most spectacular resorts in Latin America and its a great product, period. However, if you buy thinking this will make you rich, you are dead wrong. In any sale, for any product, it doesn't matter what the sales staff says. It all comes down to what is written down in the contract.

Grupo Mayan is an amazing company. Please do not keep posting hoaxes and lies. There are so many false posts online..."I am a cancer patient FORCED to buy" "I have health problems and I was FORCED to buy" ¨my parents the elderly got scammed¨. Oh please! We have seen those all over the internet, exact copy paste replicas by different users in different blogs.... and us, proud owners, just get upset at people blogging to damage the reputation of a world class company, and our friends the hard workring staff of the resorts we visit every year. You hurt ALL HAPPY OWNERS when you make the company suffer by lying. Its simple, they lose business, which means we all lose business. All thousands of us happy owners, that anxiously await for them to open yet another impressive resort.

Finally, call Grupo Mayan customer service for anything you have to say. They always help me with anything gladly.

Diana J.
Oct 09, 2008

ditto, i go 2 times a year and last year took friends that actually stay in top suites in bellagio and other vegas top hotels.. they were more impressed with grand mayan and opened there eyes to really great holiday. And hey when is last time anyone went to DENNYS..? stop *****in about how expensive food is cause for what your getting it makes food back home depressing. Go to Green Break at golf course in Nueve... best lunch on planet..

Rick F.
Oct 13, 2008

Hi,

We have a very practical question....how large is the freezer in the Grand Mayan 1 BR unit?

We have not stayed at the NV Grand Mayan yet and are scheduled to arrive 11/1/08. We are looking forward to a great experience and are used to bringing frozen steaks, chicken and salmon to our other location (Paradise Village).

Any advice? Any comments about how many chicken breasts, steaks and salmon fillets we should plan to bring along?

What about the rules there? Do they prohibit cooking dinners in the units?

Thanks

Bob J.
Oct 14, 2008

Contact the resort's customer service. They have responded to us several times and are working to settle this for us.

Gina H.

Last edited by ginah64 on Oct 15, 2008 10:53 AM

Oct 16, 2008

What is number for customer service.. the site only has concierge and they do not help at all. We are trying to book at Grand Mayan and meet other friends but cannot get room at same time. So we are booking the Sea garden in nuevo so we can still meet. Now as Grand Mayan/Luxxe owners they will not let us go into the grand mayan when at sea garden. Cannot get anyone to allow us access and cannot find customer service number.

Rick F.
Oct 16, 2008

Try this contact. We emailed and got a response within a couple of days:

Laurie Connors Customer and Reservations Counselor USA 1-800-292-9446; Canada 1-800-421-4161 England 0-800-096-9367; Mexico 01-800-366-6600 Fax: 713-888-0594 & 713-888-0601 Mon.- Fri. 7AM-8PM , Sat. 9AM-3PM CST laurieconnors@grupomayan.com www.grupomayan.com

Gina H.
Oct 16, 2008

Will try that number and thanks very much for quick response. Our flights are direct from prince george to puerto vallarta in winter and it is almost half the price right now so we need answer asap

Rick F.
Oct 23, 2008

We own at Grand Mayan. Who rents for you? I e-mailed someone at Grand Mayan Rental and never heard from them. Is it someone else?

Vicki J.
Oct 23, 2008

No one rents for us. We just contacted the customer service (noted above) and discussed our problem and they are helping us work it out.

Gina H.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.