General Discussion

Grupo Mayan

Mar 10, 2010

Bob739, sounds like you have an opinion on that idea. Any chance you care to share it here or in a private message?

Clayton L.
Mar 24, 2010

I am not really Timeshare savvy, but I want to ask a few questions. My parents have a timeshare with GM, the Mayan Palace Level. The timeshare only has a short time left before it expires and we can renew for another 25 years for a rather nominal fee. I talked about upgrading to the Grand Mayan, but wanted to visit before I bought. I was told that I could not do this (even though I offered to go during a period of lower vacancy, pay and listen to the sales presentation), and would have to stay at one of the Mayan Palace properties or elsewhere and come see the property and do the sales presentation. I really didn't like this approach becuase the only reason I would visit was to upgrade. Now that I read a lot of posts, it appears that people have issues making reservations, so perhaps the places are full all of the time. Is this like the airlines where they overbook (oversell) rooms? Also, are these GM hotels really as nice as the high end hotels like the Ritz or Four Seasons or what level are they really? Finally, if you some of you are owners of the Mayan Place or Grand Mayan properties is it worth about 10x to upgrade from my MP level to the GM? Thanks

Neill B.
Mar 25, 2010

I would ask my questions at www.tugbbs.com as they have an entire Mexico forum.

R P.
Mar 25, 2010

JayJay, Thanks for the recommendation. Found the Tugbbs website much harder to navigate than Redweek. Neill

Neill B.
Mar 26, 2010

Just scroll down to the Mexico forum.

R P.
Mar 29, 2010

10% of the Original price for my Particular contract was about $4500, which is quite high when the price I was paying was only $12,000

Dann G.
Mar 29, 2010

Depends on the properties ( ie: Grand Mayan, Bliss etc) that are being traded, the number of weeks and so on. But always some additional cash, mine required an additional $20,000

Dann G.
Mar 29, 2010

The reservation problems you are reading about here are mostly with the newer products, The Grand Luxxe, and Bliss properties, you should not have problems getting into the Palace

Dann G.
Mar 30, 2010

About a week ago (mid-March 2010), my ex-gf and her family went to Cancun to vacation at Grand Mayan. Since my ex is a close friend of mine, and I know her family well, I joined them at Cancun for the first 3 days of their one-week vacation. The day I was returning to the states, they went to another timeshare presentation at GM, and, despite my pleas, after pleas, after pleas, she BOUGHT an upgrade to "Grand Luxe" for $20,000! My ex and her family are from a very small town in the Midwest, and they are "trusting" people. My ex-gf is also a self-acknowledged "superficial" person and loves luxuries whether or not she can afford them (hence, she is my ex). The thing that upsets me the most is that during that cooling-off period of 5 days, the salesman took her and her family out to dinner, and her to a nightclub and had a one-night stand!!!! Yes, I'm jealous because she is still going on and on about how cute that salesman is, and how that salesman is going to come to the U.S. to see her again, blah, blah, blah. But, man, do they not have business ethics? It is apparent to me she got shafted both ways, and does not even realize it! The salesman fed her all kinds of lies, both personal and professional, like he was an army commando in his native country, speaks four languages, has real estate businesses in the states; and that he does not work on commissions, 92% of the people who attend the timeshare presentations sign the contracts; she and her family will save money by not paying maintenance fees for Grand Mayan! How about maintenance fees for Grand Luxe??? My ex believes every one of those lies. But she IS happy. Happier than ever when she was with me. :-(

Ian M.

Last edited by ianm127 on Mar 30, 2010 08:26 AM

Mar 30, 2010

OK. I have seen it said many times in these posts and in other blogs, but I am calling out to anyone who has done it successfully. Is there really any chance of using a service to rent out weeks for you and getting anything near what they tell you? How about alternate means to get them rented? I see tons on eBay and other places, but they never seem to move. Any thoughts?

Clayton L.
Mar 30, 2010

Redweek is a great source of renters. Place an ad, price it to market and be honest.

Bob J.
Mar 31, 2010

claytonl11 wrote:
OK. I have seen it said many times in these posts and in other blogs, but I am calling out to anyone who has done it successfully. Is there really any chance of using a service to rent out weeks for you and getting anything near what they tell you? How about alternate means to get them rented? I see tons on eBay and other places, but they never seem to move. Any thoughts?

As Bob said above, price and location are keys to the supply and demand of a timeshare .... whatever you do, don't overprice your week for rent, especially in this economy.

R P.
May 12, 2010

I am an ower of The Bliss, Grupo Mayan, and I am trying to rent my weeks. Could you please share the contact information of your agent?

Thank you.

Sandra O.
May 15, 2010

sandrao71 wrote:
I am an ower of The Bliss, Grupo Mayan, and I am trying to rent my weeks. Could you please share the contact information of your agent? Thank you.

If you price your rental right, you can rent it yourself on Redweek and other internet timeshare listing sites .... pricing is the key .... also read this entire thread.

R P.
Jul 15, 2010

My issue with Grupo Mayan has ben satisfactorily resolved.

Joe S.

Last edited by joes903 on Jul 27, 2010 10:25 AM

Jul 22, 2010

jayjay wrote:
sandrao71 wrote:
I am an ower of The Bliss, Grupo Mayan, and I am trying to rent my weeks. Could you please share the contact information of your agent? Thank you.

If you price your rental right, you can rent it yourself on Redweek and other internet timeshare listing sites .... pricing is the key .... also read this entire thread.

Debra B.
Sep 04, 2010

Nice and informative post! We used our Mayan Palace week at Riviera Maya in June, just on the tail end of Hurricane Alex. It was still a good week. We did not listen to a timeshare presentation there because we didn't want to upgrade to the Grand Mayan. The pool at the Mayan Palace is the coolest pool I have ever seen in my life!! No diving or deep areas but it's many sections and large area in a beautiful setting is unsurpassed. Glad you have seen many of the sites offered by M.P. In Cabo, there is no M.P only the Grand Mayan. Maybe we'll go to to one of the convenient places you mentioned in your post the next time we go to Mexico. Keep enjoying life with your positive attitude.

Ken F.
Nov 06, 2010

I am contemplating buying a Bliss or higher grade from Grupo Mayan (I know the name has changed recently). Just wanted to get your experience with the facilities and organization. Also, the ease you have transferring weeks from one location to another within the GM group of resorts. Thanks, Neill

Neill B.
Nov 06, 2010

Have you tried www.luxxeowners.com?

Bob J.
Nov 07, 2010

Bob, Thanks, went on the site today. Amazing how much information is avaialle. Trying to be an astute buyer. Neill

Neill B.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.