Aug 23, 2008

I hear the Mandara Spa at the Ocean Club is part of the Steiner group that runs most, if not all, of the Spas on cruise ships. In my experience, they do great facials, but their massages are awful if you are accustomed to getting a massage regularly. Despite my requests for deeper pressure, I didn't get it. I basically got a rub down like someone was putting sunscreen me for an hour. Very disappointing. Over the years I have tried three massages at the Mandara spa and have been consistently disappointed.

However, they did do a very nice facial. In my experience they have a tendency to "push product" at the end of the treatment. They will then offer you a special "one time only" discount on the products if you buy them right then and there. Consequently, be prepared to spend more than you expected. Also, all products are final sale, even if they are unopened.

The "guest evaluation card" in my opinion has more questions about whether the staff correctly created a "buying experience" instead of how well the treatment met your expectations.

I would go get another facial, skip the massage, and know that I would be pitched some product.

Other criticisms, the robes are really thin and "see through." I kept my shorts on underneath. Also, the staff do not leave the room as you dis-robe. The lift a sheet up so it covers their eyes. This was awkward. While you don't really need a steam room in Aruba, it is very tiny.

It also appears the staff all take a break from 1pm to 2pm, so be prepared to start early or late. They are also the most "paper intensive" spa I have ever visited. They also have a very strict 24 hour cancellation policy. So, if you book at appointment at the front desk at 9am for a 3pm treatment, there is no cancelling!

Be informed and enjoy!

Howard H.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.