Hanalei Bay Resort

Sale of Hanalei Bay Resort

Aug 30, 2008

Has anyone heard that this resort was sold?

John E.
Sep 10, 2008

Quintus was under a contract with HBR thru 2012, but sold the management contract to Celebrity Resorts. The Board of Directors wasn't aware of this transaction until it was completed. Peter Somerville, the new Board President, has asked for contact information for owners at HBR for months -- to no avail. Please direct your concerns to Peter: pmsmts@verizon.net. We were at HBR for two weeks in August, just after the bar/lounge closed. Lots to be concerned about. All owners need to voice their opinions! Laurie@Dollfever.com

Laurie D.

Last edited by laurie121 on Sep 10, 2008 04:09 PM

Sep 11, 2008

We were at HBR yesterday to check on the resort as when we last visited in November 2007 the restaurant was closed (and has remained so) and there were maintenance issues of concern to us. We expressed our deep dissatisfaction to the manager. We are trying to sell our two, odd year, weeks and feel that it will be very difficult given the lack of a restaurant and lounge. I am going to contact Peter and express our concerns. I am not going to be happy to pay the 2009 maintenance fee of about $800 a week when in my opinion management has been incompetent.

Patti F.

Last edited by pattif29 on Sep 11, 2008 01:52 AM

Dec 19, 2008

Speaking of 2009 maintenance fees, has anyone been billed for these yet? I am used to paying these in late Dec/early Jan but have not yet received an invoice from the new owners.

Matt W.
Dec 19, 2008

We have not received invoices for maintenance fees either. I had thought we would get them by now, but maybe the week between Christmas and New Year's.

Patti F.
Feb 03, 2009

We were at HBR in 9/08 and learned of the transfer to Celebrity at the owners meeting. Also learned of an opening on the board. I would like to apply. We would also like to keep up on the goings on at HBR. It appears to us that not enough progress is taking place on the upgrades and that a lot more need to be done. For example, new granite is going in the kitchens but the old cabinets are in disrepair and look shabby...and so on. Thanks, Skip

Skip E.
Apr 21, 2009

Skip: My brother-in-law and I are just now getting inroads that all is not well at HBR. The restaurant and Bar aren't open yet after a year etc plus a takeover attempt by another group. Can you fill us in on whats going on? We have two 2 Br annuals and are going over in October of ' 09. Respectively, Cliff La Monte at clamonte@flash.net

Clifford L.
Apr 21, 2009

Lots happening and your time and energy is needed! Celebrity is attempting to oust our Board of Directors and replace them with their own. In my opinion, Quintus and Celebrity are working together, since Gary Grottke of Quintus is the only member they recognize as being on the Board. Where is the money from our "five year plan" of improvements and how can someone who mismanaged our funds sell us to another management company who then refuses to release info regarding contact information of members to its own Board of Directors -- who knew nothing about the transaction??? Pull up: hanaleibayresortowners.com and hanaleibayresort@yahoogroups.com. I filed a complaint with the State of Hawaii today (Regulated Industried Complaints Office (RICO)). Let's follow the money on this one and see whose pockets it went into. Fraud and deceit that hits many senior citizens and families that have owned at HBR for years and love it there. We're dealing with "junk yard dogs!"...

Laurie D.
Nov 07, 2009

I did hear about the sale and extremely displeased with the 09 assessment that we are having to pay due to the mismanagement of HBR. I also hear we will possibly have the additional assessment again in 2010. The annual maintenance fees are already outrageous!!! Seems they are shoving this down our throats and we just have to take it?

Susan M.
Nov 09, 2009

Just spent a week at Hanalei Bay Resort October 23 thru November 1, 2009. The resort has been sold to a new group and the Board of Directors is now fully comprised of owners of units at the resort. I had a long discussion with a current board member and felt very good in the direction they want to go!The restaurant and lounge are still owned by Celebrity and only the lounge is fully open. New positive things are in the works. The new group is planning to bring the resort back, or up to a five star resort. The employees are up beat, the place is as beautiful as always and I will be back next year in September. Please if you are going to post something about the resort at least make it current!! Cliff La Monte

Clifford L.
Oct 11, 2011

Yes, it is now being run by Trading Places and is in the process of being totally upgraded . Hopefully it will look like the good days when it was a gorgeous resort .

Sharon E.
Aug 15, 2012

Was this visit before or after the fire during the restaurant remodel? How we loved the Happy Talk Lounge and the Bali Hai Restaurant! We bought at Bali Hai Villas and sure wish we had seen these first.......until all this management nonsense! Good luck to you HBR!

Gary D.
Aug 16, 2012

Hanalei Bay was bought by Trading Places and this company is busy restoring it with the hope of getting it back to its original 5 star . The condo fees are extremely high ( $ 980 ) with an added special assessment fee of $300 for odd years and $600 for every year owners. This special assessment is to cover the costs of redoing the entire resort , complete with new furnishings . I am sure that in a few years Hanalei Bay will once again look beautiful . You can go into the resorts website and read about the restorations . Trading Places seems like a very reputable company and has taken it upon themselves to" fix "this resort . I wish them well .

Sharon E.

Last edited by sharone115 on Aug 16, 2012 05:08 PM

Aug 17, 2012

How exciting to read this update! Thank you and Trading Places and it's HBR owners for saving this beautiful resort!

Gary D.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.