Morritt's Tortuga Club

Morritt's Tortgua Club: Fees/charges?

Mar 14, 2009

I am new to Redweek.com. My own timeshares only have annual fees - once I pay this, there are no other fees. Based on the reviews for Morritt's Tortuga Club, it appears that owners not only pay an annual fee but are also charged for electrical use and a daily use fee? Is this true? And, if so, why is this not charged ahead of time through the Annual fee?

Thanks to whomever responds!

-Rich

Richard G.
Apr 06, 2009

The resort does charge each individual unit for the electricity used. Electricity is very expensive in Cayman, and if it wasn't charged individually, I think a ton of $ would be wasted with people just running the ac full blast with the doors open. We have been going to Morritt's for 18 years and have never felt the charges were outrageous. Last year we spent $60 for the week and we kept the place plenty cool.

I don't remember ever paying any other daily charges except tips for housekeeping, of course in addition to the annual maintenance fees.

Maggie H.
Apr 09, 2009

Dear Maggie,

Thanks for your response! My wife and and decided to "bite the bullet" and we are heading to Morritt's for our 20th anniversary this coming October. After we return, I will post a review.

As to the extra electrical charge, I assume that owner's fees are reduced since it does not cover "average" unit electricity? I hope so for owner's sake!

Thanks again,

-Rich

Richard G.
Apr 27, 2009

Hi Rich, We just came back from Morritt's on April 25th. Our utility bill was $51.91 (Cayman dollars) We did turn off the air a few days while we were away from the unit. The breeze is nice plus it doesn't take long for the unit to cool down again. We paid $8.00 a day (Cayman) for Time share tax. Be aware of the drinks. They went up a bit since the last time we were there, but so have most the other places also. We don't drink that much so it didn't bother us too much. Morritt's is nice. If you have any other questions about Morritt's feel free to email me at julieb436@charter.net

Julie

Gary B.
Jan 18, 2010

yes, you have to pay daily electricity fees. they do add up

Leslie A.
Sep 04, 2011

We are an owner at The Grand Morritts. Our electricity for the 2 bedroom penthouse ran over $100 and we had the AC off everyday except nighttime to sleep. We did not use the washer and dryer and there was only two of us, so the dishwasher was used twice during the week. The first floor people's bill was $56 and they had 6 people and used the AC every day and the washer. I complained, but it did not good. The maids must have really cranked up the AC or else we were taken for a ride on our actual usage.

Jan G.
Dec 06, 2012

My family has been going down since 1991. We've stayed in all size units. The utilities for us have about been the same whether we used it or not. So I say, just enjoy paradise and pay the piper. Cayman is an expensive place to vacation and we knew this up front, so know that it's going to cost to have a great time! For us, it's been worth the money.

Diana M.
Jan 27, 2013

In addition to electricity use charges Cayman also charges a use tax at $10 per night.

Robert B.
Feb 24, 2013

i just book a getaway here i don't know if i'm happy or not happy it sounds pricy but it is to late now! wish i did a little more research.

Geraldine K.
Feb 25, 2013

Yes its true, the Cayman Government charges a $10 per night room tax. When was the last time you looked at a Hotel bill at a resort or in the US. Look at all the taxes they collect for cities, counties and states. I"ll pay the $10 flat fee.

Philip E.
Feb 25, 2013

I am on the fence about renting a car when we go to the morritts I would like to hear from people who and are they glad they did and from those who didn't and if they got around just fine without one and how they got around. gerik

Geraldine K.
Feb 26, 2013

For us renting a car is a must. By the time you pay for taxi fees just to and from the airport and a ride to rum point, your looking at about $200.00 if you tip. Basically, it's well worth getting a car. Most people who stay at Morritts do rent a car.

Enjoy your stay in paradise :)

Diana M.
Feb 26, 2013

I have gone down almost every year since 1993. I have no regrets going down there. Relax, enjoy and forget about the stress.

Diana M.
Feb 26, 2013

..Well ended up reserving a car and getting ins. Which we usually do not get in the u.s. but being in the caymays I thought that we should was wondering if that was the right choice.anyone have any input on that? Has anyone stayed at the morritts? As far as washer and dryers how does that work if you don't have one in your unit does it take quarters or do you have to use tokens from the desk? Is there still a Duncan's across the street? any suggestion on dining sight seeing driving advice shopping? Any input would be great. Never stayed on the island.

Geraldine K.
Feb 27, 2013

We have been going to Morritts for 14 years. Was just there in Jan. 2013. Five adults and we rented a Kia Optima. All the bags fit in the trunk except for one small one. It was a little tight going to and from the resort but thats it. It is a wonderful place to go and relax. Yes you need a car. it is a 35 minute drive from the airport and you need it to get around. If your unit does not have a washer and dryer the laundry (on site) does take quarters. Be sure you go to the monday night welcome party and BBQ. Its $15 and the food is great. Be sure and try Kurts Corner (on Frank Sound Rd.) on the way to Rum point. The food is excellent.

Philip E.
Feb 27, 2013

Thanks for the in put! Any more info! Were you okay with driving on the left side was it easy to adj to. we are not in the grand we are at the club. Did you bring your own booze or did you bye it there that's if you even drink? Reviews are sometimes so confusing some people say their rooms didn't have hair dryer or tolitries so it's hard to figure out what pack.I know one thing to bring is water shoes!

Geraldine K.
Feb 28, 2013

Pack light and casual. The average temp. on the island is 85. You can bring in two bottles. Liquor for consumption on the island is expensive, but it is really cheap to buy duty free at the airport when you leave. Driving on the left takes a little getting used too and is easier if you get a right hand drive vehicle.

Philip E.
Feb 28, 2013

Go to duty free at the airport to purchase your liquor. You are allowed either 2 liters of wine or 1 liter of liquor such as vodka, rum etc. per person. You can purchase more but you will have to claim it when you go through customs and pay the tax if you go over the limit. You have to claim it anyways but don't have to pay tax unless you go over the limit. I don't drink but do know what you can and can not bring in. Been doing this since 1993. Also, the US dollar is .80 to their 1.00. Food is expensive so if you can pack vacuum sealed items such as coffee, cans of tuna fish, sweetener, peanut butter and nothing in glass containers. You can also bring down a cooler with ONLY frozen meats that is vacuum sealed as well. No ice is allowed. Just freeze before you leave and put meats in cooler the morning you leave. It will still be frozen when you get there...done this many times. Duck tape your cooler after you check in at the airport...they will want to see what your bringing down. DO NOT unwrap you frozen foods and repack it in zip lock bags before going down. They won't except it once it's been open and they will keep it and have a great dinners themselves..lol Keep a receipt of what you buy in case they ask for it. This is because they might tax you on your frozen foods except chicken. Every frozen item needs to have the USDA stamp on it. So always keep everything you buy at the store in its original vacuum sealed wrap. Meat that you buy at the store such as hamburgers are not vacuum sealed unless you buy the rolls of hamburger. If the meat department wrapped the meats, do not buy this. Remember only vacuum sealed. There are hair dryers at the Club, we just stayed in our 2 bedroom ocean front. Bring US quarters for the laundry. They supply you with beach towels at the hut..as many as you want you just have to return all of them and can change them out everyday. Nice to have this. We brought down beach towels and didn't even need to use them. I recommend not to go out at night if you can help it because if your not use to driving on the left side it could get confusing. The resort has a lot there to do and also next door at the Reef Resort has night entertainment as well. Paradise is at your door step. Have a wonderful time!

Diana M.
Feb 28, 2013

Thank you for your in put! We are not leaving until march 16th so if you think of anything else fell free to share

Geraldine K.
Feb 28, 2013

Oh they have left and right hand? I had read that if you go food shopping to take your own bags because they charge for bags is this so?l am trying to get sunddresses to pack sp if I gain a few pounds it won't matter! Lol!

Geraldine K.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.