Club Wyndham Shearwater

Converting to Wyndham Points?

May 11, 2009

My wife and I just returned from the Shearwater and while we were there we went through the Wyndham points sales presentation. I wish I could say it was a pleasant experience, but it wasn't. The sales woman kept making statements like: "Eventually your Pahio week will be worthless", "You can sell your timeshare on EBay for $1 like all of the other worthless timeshares", "60% of the Pahio owners have converted to Wyndham and more are doing it everyday, so eventually, you won't be able to reserve a Pahio week because they'll all be owned by Wyndham", etc.

I was incredibly turned off by the pitch, but my wife was scared enough by the statements that she was ready to sign up just to ensure our annual trips to the Shearwater. It made me wonder, though, how many of the current Pahio shearwater owners have converted or are planning on converting to Wyndham points?

I can see the benefit to the Wyndham points -- in fact we might sign up for it some day. I doubt, though, if we'll ever convert our Pahio week into Wyndham points. It seems like once you do this, you would end up competing with a larger pool of people (the Wyndham owners) for given dates at the Shearwater. Even though the sales woman had indicated "60% of the Pahio owners" had converted, we got a letter from wyndham while there that said only 11% had converted (big difference!) but that they expected that more would convert eventually. I suspect that many of the conversions may be from the other Pahio properties - but not the Shearwater. (Especially since it's the only Pahio/Wyndham property actually on the ocean, I would think it's highly desirable.)

For some owners, converting might make sense -- especially if they only trade their weeks through RCI and don't go to Kauai often. For those of us that love Kauai (and the Shearwater) and go every year no matter what, it seems like converting would make it harder to actually stay at the Shearwater. Is this the feeling others have?

Thanks

Bret P.
May 24, 2009

My hasband and I own 4 timeshares in Kauai, two at Shearwater and two at Bali Hai. We converted our entire portfolio to Wyndham points. It put us in the Platinum category. The biggest advantage we have found, so far, is that we can spend all of our points anyway we want, such as we can take our Bali Hai points and spend them at Shearwater so next week we are going for several weeks and staying at Shearwater the whole time in the same unit. We also went to one of the other islands this year and were not happy with our unit assignment and were given an upgrade because of our points to a much nicer unit with an ocean view. We are a bit nervous about the long term implications, just like you, but so far so good. We love Shearwater too!

Helen L.
May 16, 2010

I to went to the timeshare prensentation which completely turned me off to wyndham and their nonsense. first of all the sate of hawaii does not allow them to make you buy into their program as this is deeded property that you bought in hawaii. your timeshare is not worthless they just want you to think that it is so you will buy into their program. what wyndham is trying to do is get you to pay the price that they are now selling your week for. we have a 2br at bali hai that we paid 14k for they want us to [pay an additional 13k to buy into their program . we also have a week at alii kai that they claim is worthless until they want you to put it into their inventory. what they have done is bascically drawn aline down the middle of the property pahio on 1 side wyndham on the other which is outrageous. when we bought in bali hai we bought into the newer area with the granite counter tops and as I told their sales person when I come there I expect to get exactly what I bought. the funny thing is that wyndham is not building anything different than what pahio built on this property just charging more money. I for one will be the last great holdout as I will never pay wyndham more money for something that I already own. I trade thru rci and always get what I want right now I am sitting at the shearwater as I write this. I will however get in touch with the board at bali hai to see exactly what the real story is as I really think that wyndham is a pack of liars that is just trying to scare people into buying into their program. the guy that built bali hai passed away last year and according to the sales person he was trying to protect his owners when he sold to wyndham by allowing you to buy into this program at basically half the price I say he was protecting himself if he was protecting me they should have grandfathered the existing homeowner in maybe charged a 3 or 4 k to get into their program that I might have gone for. we figured out that by buying into wyndham today it would have cost us about 1500.00 more than what a new howowner would pay for a week. the sales person did basically tell us that wyndham would not do any upgrades to pahio property such as replacing counter tops or flooring in the older units so I guess they will never again be a gold crown resort. there are other condos in kauai and and we do come here every year so we will just stay elsewhereAs I said to the sales person so these maintenance fees that I pay are they being used to maintain wydham property of course she had no answer!!

Gail S.
May 16, 2010

so they told you 60% converted they told us 50%. I think they are full of baloney myself. own in bali hai and I'm not paying anymore money than what I have paid already!!

Gail S.
Aug 04, 2011

8/04/2011

A trusted employee has told us as of summer 2011 less than 10% of loyal Pahio Shearwater owners have converted to the DARK side.

John M.
Jul 16, 2012

I was told by a resale agent that pahio owners are about 10 percent converting. I'm considering buying a Pahio deed. Sure loved the place! I'm concerned about the comment that Pahio units won't be upgraded. I heard the maintenance fees were separate. Anyone know more about that? And how's the availability going for Pahio owners? They also said the inventory is kept separate for reservations. I guess that is good? Any opinions on the purchase? Thanks! Also, while I was there, using my Wyndham points, they were doing upgrades. They replaced all the mattresses. It appears they went into all units. I would really like to know if upgrades happen to all units the same.

Geri B.

Last edited by gerib20 on Jul 16, 2012 09:33 PM

Jul 17, 2012

Hi - Original poster here.

We've been every year since I originally posted. The units have been undergoing an upgrade over the last year or so (I'm not sure if all of the buildings are done, but the one we stay in is.) They've updated the furniture, the flooring, lamps, wallhangings, etc. The only thing left is some of the appliances.

As far as the availability, we're in the habit of booking a year out. Since we are owners, we can book 14 months in advance (so we normally do). We always get our choice, but that's obviously because we do it so far ahead. I'm not sure how it would be if it were on a shorter time frame.

Maintenance fees are separate and assessed at the beginning of the year. They have crept up quite a bit (hurricane and water damage insurance I'm told.) They run around $1200 a year now (for the every year units) - much steeper than when we first bought.

Bret P.
Oct 02, 2012

Well, its crunch time. Signing for the Pahio deed soon. Anymore news on changes with Wyndham ownership? Are they going to be able to extort more money to pay for them managing it? ( Since we have no choice now). I plan on staying as a Pahio owner and not converting. Does anyone know who the building insurance is with? It didn't appear to cost very much on the itemized maintenance bill. Is it hidden under management fees for Wyndham? They seem to be the most expensive item on the list? Any info will help me, Thanks gerib

Geri B.
Mar 18, 2014

How much did it cost to convert?

Dennis K.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.