Solmar Resort

Attn: Grand Solmar Building E penthouse owners!!!

Jul 06, 2009

If you currently own a penthouse in Building E at Grand Solmar (unit 6001 or 6904), please be aware that these units WILL NOT BE BUILT. I don't have the new building plan, but apparently both 2-bedroom penthouses in that building have been removed from the plan.

Because this impacted my recent purchases (PH E-6001 and Studio E-6909), I received a call from Jason at Playa Grande (cabojason711@yahoo.com) whose has been given the unenviable task of relocating those who bought weeks in those two penthouses. He will be making some calls today, then will be off on vacation tomorrow for a week, then will be back to continue the relocation of owners' units. So, don't freak out if you don't hear from him today.

Besides letting everyone know what is going on, I really wanted to take the time to say that Jason went above and beyond the call of duty to get me units/weeks that made me happy (and if you know me, that's a tough challenge). I really feel that Jason and the other people I've worked with recently (Charlie, Art, Paco, etc.) have been going out of their way to make us owners as happy as they possibly can given the changes that have taken place with the G.S. project.

So, before you give Jason a tongue-lashing when he calls you, try to work with him. He really, really does want to make you happy. He can't do anything about the changes that the developer is making, but he'll do everything within his power to get you the best week/unit possible and make you happy with your new unit(s).

I am now the proud owner of H-8501 and H-8602, week 20, and I'm a happy camper - for now. I'll be a really happy camper as soon as I get the paperwork to sign, LOL!

Donna W.
Aug 24, 2009

Where is building H. I have a site map and don't see H

Joyce Y.
Aug 24, 2009

Now they ARE building unit E-6904, but E-6001 is being turned into the new sales center. I had forgotten to update this post with the new info.

Joyce, is your map of Grand Solmar (not Solmar)? If you're looking at the Grand Solmar layout, Building E will be the one closest to Terrasol/Playa Grande. Then comes G (near the restaurant/pools), then H, and then I is on the end, closest to Lands End/Lovers Beach.

Donna W.

Last edited by donnaw85 on Aug 24, 2009 06:57 PM

Sep 06, 2009

I bought a hotel unit with floating weeks 15-45. Does anyone have any information on this or anyone I can talk to at Solmar or Playa? I dont have a specific unit. So I am curious how this will effect those of us who have floating time and not specific units.

Rachel A.
Nov 15, 2009

I hope it works out for you because Jason sold me a unit that wasn't for sale and I have a very difficult time getting my money back! Good Luck! PS - I truly hate Grand Solmar and what it has done to the beautiful beach.

Lois M.
Nov 16, 2009

I hear you, Lois. The beach will never be the same, but there's nothing we can do at this point to stop GS from being built.

I'm really glad you did eventually get your money back... if I recall, you were the one that bought the 'garden unit' that they then decided not to build? Hmmmm... seems like a pattern with GS sales.

I guess it could be worse - at least we aren't as bad off as the Enchantment people - that resort apparently won't even be built and has closed down, leaving all of the purchasers w/out a refund, and w/out a resort or unit. So sad... guess that's the chance we take when we buy preconstruction in Mexico. I'm crossing my fingers that my G.S. unit will be wonderful and I'll be happy with it. 50 years is a very long time...

Donna W.
Nov 17, 2009

I was buying one of the penthouses in the "old" Solmar building, NOT preconstruction. The sales person should have known it was not for sale. I think they just wanted to sell something - anything - to anyone. It took many unreturned long-distance phone calls to Jason and a few months but I finally got my money back. Would have loved more time in the penthouse but they blocked the view of that unit with Grand Solmar anyway so maybe just as well. Still breaks my heart everytime I think of what they've done. My friends who live in Cabo say you can not walk the beach towards the big rock going towards the arch, you can only walk from Terra Sol to Capella. I just wish they would have been honest with us owners from the beginning instead of all the lies. Just shameful.

Lois M.
Nov 17, 2009

Does anyone know whether us owners that have units in the 4 story buildings to the far right will be impacted in any way? I'm in building J. I would really be interested in knowing. Thanks.

Jane C.
Nov 17, 2009

Not sure what you mean by 'impacted' but if you mean by the construction noise, yes, you'll probably hear it during the day. Plus, the grounds will be torn up quite a bit as well, but they will still have a restaurant and pools open.

Your building will not be affected. Only the hotel units on the sand are being torn down. And, only half of those are being torn down right now... not sure of the timing for the units closest to Terrasol next door.

Donna W.
Nov 18, 2009

anyone have any pictures of the renovation? we are in the K unit on the end any view obstruction? thanks much, Clare

Clare R.
Nov 20, 2009

To donnaw, janec and clarer..... before I respond, when was the last time you were at Solmar? There have been many changes to the property since they started Grand Solmar.

Lois M.
Nov 20, 2009

I was at Solmar Dec. 2008 before construction. I know the initial construction of Grand Solmar does not impact me too much, excepts for dust, noise, etc. What I'm concerned about is when it is finished will the units way in the back like bldg J or K lose any of our views? I'm on the 4th floor.

Jane C.
Nov 20, 2009

Sadly, we were just down there and the beach has cranes and big trucks on it and there is a deep trench. The old resturant of which we were fond is boarded up and there is a board wall extending out where the are doing construction but the noise etc is of course ongoing. The main pool is right by that and the distinctive palapa bar ...so they are not really useable. We did not stay there. Our unit which we loved will be torn down and we were given "an opportunity" to " upgrade" to Playa Grande (the opposite of the kind of lovely peaceful place Sol Mar WAS) ...or to " upgrade" (at of course more money) to a new unit but we could not afford to pay what would be necessary to get the same view we "owned" with our unit. They are destroying what we came to Sol Mar for to sell more units to more people for a lot more money. We have been lied to repeatedly and of course on top of that, their "plans" change. The only thing that does not is the sucking of more money from Americans who think that promises or even contracts will give them what they were assured. Why buy from these folks again??!!!!! The second beachfront wing will be torn down and so construction etc will be ongoing here so I would stay away until after its all finished (2012?)

The uniqueness of this resort was that it was not oversize, not "deluxed up" and grandiose..and was in a pristine, natural setting and appealed to those who appreciated that. No more.

Mary L R.
Nov 20, 2009

then you are in for a BIG surprise and even BIGGER disappointment as to what/how grand solmar will impact those buildings, your beautiful view, and direct beach access. you cannot get an honest answer from anyone down there. you ask 100 people and you'll hear 100 different versions of the "remodeling" plans - just love their definition of "remodel" because that is what they told us owners. so i got all excited about getting a new tv or even american tv stations in my penthouse bedroom, when in fact their plan was to build a huge resort in front of my resort! the rumor is that the new buildings may be as tall as 7 stories high. 7 stories in front of a 5 story building?!? they just sold our beach views to someone else without so much as a "i'm sorry". just shameful.

Lois M.
Nov 20, 2009

I will be at Playa Grande Nov. 29-Dec. 6 and will take a lot of photos and will come back here and post a link to the pix. That way, everyone can see current pix. I haven't been there since May and, no doubt, it's changed quite a bit since then.

Also, here are a couple of links to beach cams and othere photos, in case anyone is interested:

http://picasaweb.google.com/jeepers86/CaboG1009?feat=directlink# http://www.cabovillas.com/campage.asp?id=5

Both of those links are from an owner's personal website/blog (not mine!): http://www.solmarowners.com/

Donna W.
Nov 21, 2009

I think it's definitely time to start a class action law suit. If we don't halt construction on the 2nd phase, we may lose our wonderful ocean views. What does everyone think?

Jane C.
Nov 21, 2009

Well, I don't want to halt construction since I own two of the new units. :)

However, I do understand where you're coming from. It is definitely a real bummer for those in the section they aren't tearing down. Also, a lot of the Terrasol owners' views will be blocked, too. I noticed there are a lot of Terrasol units for sale these days. It used to be that they never came up for sale, but now there are quite a few. Don't know if it is the economy or the construction next door, or both.

Donna W.
Nov 22, 2009

Anyone found a new city, or village or area which still has the kind of place that Sol Mar WAS...? Perhaps its time to consider someplace other than Cabo area for that kind of place to stay?

Mary L R.
Nov 22, 2009

I have been going to Solmar since 1980 and finally purchased in 1996. So you know how disappointed I am with the "New Grand" Solmar.

I own week 50 & 51 in building C & J, last visit was last year. I am concerned about my trip this year as I have invited family to join me and they have always just heard us rave about the beach and how peaceful it is.

Please post what it is actually like upon your return at least I will have an idea as to what to expect. Also last year there was a lot of road construction around the Marina and road going past Solmar. Is that completed and is there any added advantage or just for cruise ship traffic etc.

Any tips of grocery shopping and best way to get to Costco, Wallmart or the City Store? I won't have a car.

I hope you have a good trip and will appreciate any info so I can warn those going for the first time, and maybe only time. It is sad to think what we thought we would be able to enjoy the Solmar for years and now it is gone.

Patsy D.
Nov 23, 2009

To the person who just bought new units - how would you feel if in 2 years they build more bldgs right in front of you and you lose all your view? They don't seem to care about owners once the units are sold.

Jane C.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.