Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

IA Vacations/ American Timeshare Closings

Feb 20, 2010

I finally figured out why IA/ATC persists in understating the price paid on the new deed. I think they are screwing the prior owners (Sellers) by grossly understating what the unit sold for in our case. In your case as well, perhaps. You may want to check that your unit did not sell for substantially more than you were told. Esp. if the only reference you have is a copy of the new deed.

Russ G.
Feb 20, 2010

Well I tracked down the prior owner of the unit that IA Vacations sold me. He told me that he had sold 3 of timehsare units to or via IA. I know I paid for mine in August of 2009, and I know one other at the same resort was registered in Nov of 09 so probably paid for about the same time. The seller says IA has not paid him for any of them, and he was thinking of going the Atty General route (mail fraud I guess). He was unable to shed any light as to why IA persists in understating the consideration paid for our unit, on the deed, but his thoughts were the same as mine.

Russ G.
Feb 21, 2010

I am curious as to where the unit you are speaking of is. I purchased one of three units in Nov. 09 and I am still waiting for paperwork confirming me at Marriott as an owner. One minute I think I've been scammed, then I email, get a reposne and think it's legit. I am awaiting final doc's and have been for about a month now.

Jeff C.
Feb 21, 2010

russ177 wrote:
Well I tracked down the prior owner of the unit that IA Vacations sold me. He told me that he had sold 3 of timehsare units to or via IA. I know I paid for mine in August of 2009, and I know one other at the same resort was registered in Nov of 09 so probably paid for about the same time. The seller says IA has not paid him for any of them, and he was thinking of going the Atty General route (mail fraud I guess). He was unable to shed any light as to why IA persists in understating the consideration paid for our unit, on the deed, but his thoughts were the same as mine.

The reasons these scammers get away with their scams is due to people like the above that do ABSOLUTELY nothing. I was scammed by a product (long story) not long ago that was supposed to be free, however a month later they charged my debit card .... I called the company several times and actually had screaming matches with some of the reps to get my money refunded to my account.

I then went on the internet to find Class Action Aattorneys on a contingency basis that charge only if they win the class action lawsuit (this product was nationally advertised and had hundreds of comlaints on the internet) .... I found the contact info for the attorney general in the state the scam was located, the attorney general of the USA and many other consumer related sites that out scams.

I then forwarded all the emails to the scam company ... well, lo and behold I got a nervous phone call from one of the reps saying that they were crediting my bank account .... and 3 days later it WAS credited .... however I'm the type of person that will go to the ends of the earth to get my money back via a scam .... I NEVER LET UP if I've been scammed.

R P.
Feb 21, 2010

The two units I am referring to are Four Seasons Aviara. I don't know what the third unit it. The prior owner's last name begins with an E and is 3 letters long. I can't disclose his identity without his permission. I think the delayed payout is probably SOP with this outfit, as are the lengthy drawn out closings. From what I could tell, their clerical skills leave a lot to be desired, and they seem quite disorganized. They claim that both the county and the resort lost their paperwork. The resort says they didn't get anything until Dec 4 or so, when I inquired. That same day, they faxed in some paperwork that the resort characterized as "all messed up"> I am not sure what there is to gain by taking 6 months or more to complete a closing. It just makes buyers mad because by the time the resort recognizes you as an owner, most of the good booking weeks are gone (for a floating unit).

Russ G.
Mar 26, 2010

I also transferred my deed to them in January and they said i'd be receiving my money shortly, but haven't yet, its 3 months later and they just keep putting me off. anyone else having problems like this, who do i report them to?

Len K.
Mar 28, 2010

lenk wrote:
I also transferred my deed to them in January and they said i'd be receiving my money shortly, but haven't yet, its 3 months later and they just keep putting me off. anyone else having problems like this, who do i report them to?

To the Attorney General of the state the scammers are located.

R P.
Mar 30, 2010

Well folks these people at IA are bold-faced liars, I am going to have to sue them to straighten out the mess they made of my purchase. I got the wrong unit, it had back taxes owing, they reported the wrong purchase price on the deed, and they quoted the wrong annual maintenance cost at the time of the original sale. They refuse to rectify any of this. Complaining to the BBB just elicits lies from them. The TN Atty General contacted them and they just repeat the same lies. The owner, Stacy Gillispie, appears to have something less than a high school diploma, judging from the few written responses I got from him. Most of the time, he just ignores letters, even certified ones.

Russ G.
Mar 31, 2010

russ177 wrote:
The TN Atty General contacted them and they just repeat the same lies.

Did the TN AG file a lawsuit against the scammers to shut them down for fraud .... continue contacting the AG until you get an answer as to what they're doing/going to do about the scammers ..... it's part of a state's AG's job ..... if they don't give you a solid answer then they're not doing their job.

Keep on keeping on .... "the squeaky wheel gets the grease".

R P.
Mar 31, 2010

I just contacted the Better Business Bureau there and also emailed my contact at IA Vacations that I did so and that my next complaint will be the Atty Gen. She just emailed back and said she would notify her supervisor. I'll give it a week and notify the Atty Gen.

Len K.
Apr 01, 2010

lenk wrote:
I just contacted the Better Business Bureau there and also emailed my contact at IA Vacations that I did so and that my next complaint will be the Atty Gen. She just emailed back and said she would notify her supervisor. I'll give it a week and notify the Atty Gen.

Also, threaten to start a class action lawsuit again them .... businesses hate those 3 words .... that's how I got my money back when I was scammed by a company (not timeshare related).

R P.
Apr 01, 2010

I also notified redweek of what is going on, and they have now blocked any of their ads from appearing on redweek.

Len K.
Apr 05, 2010

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Warned you all years ago, obviously none ever listened!

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stephen N.
Apr 29, 2010

THE BBB HAS NOW CLOSED THE FILE, THEY JUST GOT AN ANSWER SAYING THAT IT TAKES LONGER THAN CLOSING A HOUSE. BBB JUST SAYS THEY WILL SAY IT IS UNRESOLVE. I SENT OFF ALL THE MATERIAL I HAD TO THE ATTORNEY GENERAL OFFICE. THEY RESPONDED THEY ARE LOOKING INTO IT. I KEEP EMAILING IA AND THEY JUST SAY I'M IN THE QUE TO BE PAID. I JUST GAVE AWAY A MARRIOTT TIMESHARE.

Len K.
Apr 30, 2010

The atty general is going to do nothing. They just pass the letters back and forth, put a time stamp on them, and that's it. Oh, and draw a salary. Typical govt bureaucrat parasites. IA is going to bluster, claim they did nothing wrong, and you won't get anywhere...they have been down this path many times and they know that the BBB and the AG have no staying power. Last I checked, they had 15 BBB complaints against their name. They know how to outlast the BBB, and they don't care about their reputation with the BBB, it's shot anyway. I am going the lawyer route at this point. Contact me if you want the lawyer's name/address. Maybe he will give us a volume discount!

Russ G.
May 14, 2010

please send lawyer's tel. no. thanks,

marlnlowl@gmail.com

Lowell D.
May 14, 2010

George R. Arrants, Jr.

Attorney at Law

Dunn, MacDonald & Reynolds, P.C.

6204 Baum Drive

Knoxville, TN 37919

(865) 546-8900

(865) 525-0505

Fax: (865) 525-6001

Russ G.
May 20, 2010

I Sold a marriott grand chateau to IA Vacations/American Timeshare Closing. I still have not received my money it has been months and they just keep giving me the run around. Well, I did some research and I checked on my deed and it has my name signed on it. But the funny thing is it is not my signature. Now apparently they said that apparently I signed a power of attorney, and that is giving them permission to sign my name. But I know for a fact that you are suppose to sign as that person attorney in fact. To me it sounds like IA and American Timeshare closing is committing fraud and forgery. I also spoke to a Kim Whaley she is the manager for American Timeshare closing, but we all know that the companies are intertwined together.We know that she is just having to cover up for Stacy Gillispie the owner. She is the one that told me that it was ok for them to sign my name on the deed therefore it sounds like she is the one committing this fraud and forgery. I have made several attempts to get my money and they still keep giving me the excuses well actually Kim Whaley keeps giving me the excuses. I am sick of the excuses. So a word of advice to all the sellers out there, look long and hard at your deeds request copies of your deeds because forgery or fraud is definitely apart of IA and American Timeshare Closings processes!!!

Jane S.
May 20, 2010

send this info to the state Attorney General, perhaps if they get enough of these they will really do an investigation and not just pass paper back and forth.

Len K.
May 25, 2010

russ177 wrote:
George R. Arrants, Jr.

Attorney at Law

Dunn, MacDonald & Reynolds, P.C.

6204 Baum Drive

Knoxville, TN 37919

(865) 546-8900

(865) 525-0505

Fax: (865) 525-6001

Well I talked to George, he said he has not done much but he promised to give those guys a call. Short story, I got a week at the Marriott Aruba for some $10000, after a couple of months they came back to me saying that the owner backed up on the deal, never did get my money back, they always say the will call me back, they never do

Michele A.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.