Timeshare Exchanges

Diamond Resorts enormously increases the cost of Maintenance/Reserves on their resorts.

Aug 23, 2016

I couldn't agree more Mark. I hope kathleenf205 follows through and makes a report!

Susan B.
Apr 29, 2017

Have stayed at the Beechwoods formerly Barrier Island Kitty Hawk resort in NC many times in the past on exchanges with fishing buddies in November but this year they are charging a $25 amenity fee per day which equates almost the same as the exchange fee . This is Diamond Resorts way of getting money out of guests. The people that owned the unit you would be renting or exchanging into have already paid an amenity fee through their maintenance fees , so why is Diamond Resort/ the resort charging for it again, This sounds like fraud to me. I have already booked into this resort and if I cancel I will lose money at this point. Anyone who rents here or exchanges here needs to argue about this fee especially if like me you will not even use the amenities. I have looked into this and have found out that RCI members are charged this fee not II members. What's up with that ? All these fees go to Diamond Resorts not the resort as I understand. The resort staff has always been nice and accommodating but after this year I will never stay at a Diamond Resort again.

Mike S.

Last edited by mikes1668 on Apr 29, 2017 07:29 AM

Apr 29, 2017

Have stayed at Beechwoods (a Diamond Resorts location now) many times in the past on exchanges with fishing buddies in November but this year they are charging a $25 amenity fee per day which equates almost the same as the exchange fee . This is Diamond Resorts way of getting money out of guests. The people that owned the unit you would be renting or exchanging into have already paid an amenity fee through their maintenance fees , so why is Diamond Resort/ the resort charging for it again, This sounds like fraud to me. I have already booked into this resort and if I cancel I will lose money at this point. Anyone who rents here or exchanges here needs to argue about this fee especially if like me you will not even use the amenities. I have looked into this and have found out that RCI members are charged this fee not II members. What's up with that ? All these fees go to Diamond Resorts not the resort as I understand. The resort staff has always been nice and accommodating but after this year I will never stay at a Diamond Resort again.

Mike S.
May 01, 2017

mikes1668 wrote:
Have stayed at Beechwoods (a Diamond Resorts location now) many times in the past on exchanges with fishing buddies in November but this year they are charging a $25 amenity fee per day which equates almost the same as the exchange fee . This is Diamond Resorts way of getting money out of guests. The people that owned the unit you would be renting or exchanging into have already paid an amenity fee through their maintenance fees , so why is Diamond Resort/ the resort charging for it again, This sounds like fraud to me. I have already booked into this resort and if I cancel I will lose money at this point. Anyone who rents here or exchanges here needs to argue about this fee especially if like me you will not even use the amenities. I have looked into this and have found out that RCI members are charged this fee not II members. What's up with that ? All these fees go to Diamond Resorts not the resort as I understand. The resort staff has always been nice and accommodating but after this year I will never stay at a Diamond Resort again.

Charging non-owners (i.e., rental tenants and / or "exchangers") an additional "amenities fee" actually seems to be a growing trend in the timeshare industry. Although I greatly dislike Diamond and would never have anything whatsoever to do with DRI, this phenomenon is certainly not unique to DRI. Such fees, to be clear, have nothing at all to do with the affiliated exchange company, whether it's II or RCI, or both.

I'm not convinced that the money actually goes to Diamond in this matter, UNLESS Diamond also actually manages the property at issue. At independent (non-"chain") resorts which charge such fees, that amenity fee money generally goes directly into the HOA's operating account, afaik.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Mar 17, 2021 08:50 AM

May 01, 2017

Based on my contact with Diamond' II does not pay these fees and II confirmed that they do not. II does not allow Diamond to charge amenity fees to their guests. Diamond can not justify charging amenity fees to exchangers because the fees have already been paid by the people who paid there maint fees and deposited their unit Going to contacting the Federal Trade CVommission on this

Mike S.
May 01, 2017

mikes1668 wrote:
Based on my contact with Diamond' II does not pay these fees and II confirmed that they do not. II does not allow Diamond to charge amenity fees to their guests. Diamond can not justify charging amenity fees to exchangers because the fees have already been paid by the people who paid there maint fees and deposited their unit Going to contacting the Federal Trade CVommission on this

I wish you luck, but I believe that you are fighting a losing battle on this matter. Numerous timeshare entities besides DRI now employ this "amenities fee" requirement for non-owners (i.e., renters and "exchangers") and they apparently can lawfully do so at will. Smuggler's Notch (in Vermont, now managed by Wyndham), for just one example, has also recently adopted this practice for non-owners, requiring separate purchase of an "amenities pass" if not an actual owner at the resort.

There have been extensive discussions of this very subject in the forums of Timeshare Users Group. The consensus is clearly "yes, they CAN do this and yes, they WILL continue to do this". I'd like to see you prevail, but would not bet a nickel on your success. Good luck.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Mar 17, 2021 08:51 AM

Aug 25, 2017

Resort fees and parking fees and taxes are paid at all hotels. Timeshares usually don't charge owners resort fees and parking.

VRBO Airbnb are just new words for timeshare. Vacation ownership etc... it's all the same.

Look up Vegas parking rates. Or Hyatt timeshare maui mandatory parking fees.

Hawaii hotels now charge 15% daly tax rate. Increasing to 20% next year.

Timeshare owner do t have to pay that. At least that's a solid win!

Brad L.
Aug 25, 2017

Lastly, maintence fees are also increasing due to ridiculous mandatory minimum wage increases in these liberal states like California $15 a hour for flipping a cheeseburger.

It's a joke.

Brad L.
Aug 25, 2017

The above post doesn't even really deserve acknowledgement, but I will nonetheless note that it is (and has always been) entirely reasonable to expect that maintenance fees will increase by a minimum of 4-6% each and every year at virtually any timeshare property or within any timeshare system. Insurance rates, electricity, property taxes, appliances, furniture, HVAC equipment, replacement doors and windows will always cost more, never less. This indisputable fact has absolutely NOTHING to do with minimum hourly wage laws. Apples and oranges, complete non sequitur. On the other hand, Diamond fee increases (the original actual topic of this thread) seem to be quite out of line on a regular and consistent basis. I'd be strongly inclined to attribute that to outright corporate greed.

To respond further to the post directly above, I personally think that it's quite small and petty to begrudge any working individual a guaranteed minimum hourly wage that still isn't even a decent living wage, regardless of the kind of work they perform in the course of trying to make a living. I frankly have a whole lot more sympathy for those working people than I have for some "entitled" individual complaining about high hotel taxes in Hawaii or parking rates in Las Vegas or mandatory parking fees at a Maui Hyatt --- oh, boo hoo!. Cry me a river. C'mon....are you really that selfish?

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Mar 17, 2021 08:57 AM

May 19, 2018

So fist we love our Vacation Ownership’s which we have many different types. As far as DRI increasing your MFs with these fix week owners and (bankrupt) Sunterra DRI manages your property’s but your fees Mfs and assessments are inflated by YOUR HOA! Your HOA is hyperinflation good these particular MFs bc of so many defaults over a 20 year period! DRI manages you they do not own weeks or point inventory previously sold. Also, I read the comment of how do fees go up in this economy? Really, historical EVERYTHING inflates in price. Esp. Property taxes and insurance ect. Cost of living! As for all the sales people are LIARS. Let’s be honest there are some bad apples but with that being said take some personal accountability. We have all been thro the three hour paperwork sessions with these purchases. It’s clearly in black in white about your MFs increasing with the purchase and most of the time you have a Public offering. Legally, you signed numerous binding contracts agreeing to you purchase and every aspect of it so legally I don’t see how any lawyer or class action suit has ever been won by simply “I just don’t like it” or because “I changed my mind” ridiculous! Instead of the pity party do true research about what it is you own and make an educated decision on what’s best for you. FYI every timeshare company , acquisition and brand all work different once you learn how it works then you can move forward in which ever direction makes sense for you! Information and education are truly powerful people, instead of assumption without validation. Good luck to you all.

Charlie B.
May 19, 2018

Exactly, so glad to hear someone who has actually researched and understands this! When out of network quite frankly just like a hotel they can really charge u whatever they choose

Charlie B.
May 19, 2018

charlieb85 wrote:
Exactly, so glad to hear someone who has actually researched and understands this! When out of network quite frankly just like a hotel they can really charge u whatever they choose

I have written similar comments about personal accountability on this site and it falls on deaf ears. I’ve even gone so far as to point out that there is at least a 7 day rescission period that they could review the paperwork or have a lawyer review and then make their decision. Some people here are bitter because they did not realize that there was some planning needed on their part, or they did not realize what they were getting themselves into. Bottom line, there are definitely some benefits to ownership. Is it perfect, no. None of them are perfect, but you can benefit from them and at times save quite a bit of money. I’ll be in Hawaii next month for a whole month. I’ll not be spending any more than the equivalent of $95 per day in two bedroom accommodations due to my vacation ownerships. My family benefits and so does my pocketbook. Many people will wallow in ignorance and laziness. Thus, you here nothing but complaining from them. That’s fine with me, that’s just more availability for me to take my vacations.

Charles S.
May 19, 2018

Since your singing the praises of Diamond and other timeshares maybe you can explain to me why they are sold at misleading presentations where sales people lie through their teeth . I would like to know why they don't inform the buyer that their product is virtually worthless on the resale market once they walk out the door . Yes there is a rescission period but most people who purchase are on vacation which is part of the plan of the developer . By the time they find out what they committed themselves to the rescission period has expired . They spend millions of dollars researching the best way to lure people into agreeing to purchase .

I own a week at a timeshare that I will own forever but I would never purchase points . You are at the mercy of the resort when booking a vacation . The timeshare industry has changed and corporate greed has taken over the industry . If their product is so valuable why don't they buy it back from the owners who want out ?

These forums are here to discuss timeshare ownership and so far I hear far more complaints than praises from satisfied customers like you . Let the discussions continue .

Don P.
May 19, 2018

donp196 wrote:
Since your singing the praises of Diamond and other timeshares maybe you can explain to me why they are sold at misleading presentations where sales people lie through their teeth . I would like to know why they don't inform the buyer that their product is virtually worthless on the resale market once they walk out the door . Yes there is a rescission period but most people who purchase are on vacation which is part of the plan of the developer . By the time they find out what they committed themselves to the rescission period has expired . They spend millions of dollars researching the best way to lure people into agreeing to purchase .

I own a week at a timeshare that I will own forever but I would never purchase points . You are at the mercy of the resort when booking a vacation . The timeshare industry has changed and corporate greed has taken over the industry . If their product is so valuable why don't they buy it back from the owners who want out ?

These forums are here to discuss timeshare ownership and so far I hear far more complaints than praises from satisfied customers like you . Let the discussions continue .

Timeshares are not for everyone. However, it is the responsibility of the buyer to do his/her due diligence to research if it’s a good proposition. There are bad salesmen in every industry. There are good and bad timeshare salespeople. They all want to make money. They’re no different than insurance salesmen or financial advisors. All offer something that you may or may not need, but it’s your responsibility as the purchaser to determine if it’s for you. I know lots of people who unnecessarily buy variable annuities or insurance policies from them. These people pay high fees for these products and often never realize it until it’s too late. You’re responsible for your money and no one else.

Charles S.
May 20, 2018

The sales people are so good, and I am speaking in general, not just Diamond. Charles345 is absolutely correct but the poor buyer is outclassed in every way. They hone these presentations day after day. They have heard all the objections and have ready responses. When the exhausted buyer finally agrees, the signing ceremony begins, and you will be signing and initialing so many things that you have no idea what it all means. One of those initials always says that you understand that nothing they said to you matters, and everything is in the papers.

Robert R.
May 24, 2018

robertr558 wrote:
The sales people are so good, and I am speaking in general, not just Diamond. Charles345 is absolutely correct but the poor buyer is outclassed in every way. They hone these presentations day after day. They have heard all the objections and have ready responses. When the exhausted buyer finally agrees, the signing ceremony begins, and you will be signing and initialing so many things that you have no idea what it all means. One of those initials always says that you understand that nothing they said to you matters, and everything is in the papers.

Very astute and accurate observations. Fortunately, state laws require that a developer also provide written notice of contract cancellation rights to the buyer at the time of contract execution. Unfortunately, far too many buyers don't subsequently read or act upon those cancellation rights in time (it's 5-7 days to cancel the contract in most states, 10 days in Florida and Tennessee).

It would be nice if timeshare contracts were required by law to honestly reveal, overtly and in writing, that the "product" being purchased may very well have little or no resale value the moment after the contract is signed. That's just a pipe dream, however; ARDA would fight tooth and nail (and "financially support" the appropriate politicians) to make very certain that no such idea suggesting honest disclosure ever got to see the legislative light of day.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Mar 17, 2021 03:37 PM

Mar 08, 2021

I own 1 week, every other year, at Villas at Polo Towers, Las Vegas. I tried to sell it for a few thousand, and was told that the listing price was too high..they are going for around $500-$1000. at most, and that was a couple of years ago. Unfortunately, like everyone else, my fees are now approaching $1300. Then I look and see people who are not owners, with no maintenance fees, no pourhasing the unit costs, getting a 2 bedroom for less than a thousand. How can I possibly rent for less than my fees? How can I sell for 90% less than I paid. Just soooo unfair. But, at age 72, guess I have to look at getting rid of it as none of the kids want any of my places. I cannot in good conscience stick them with this. I do not think it fair to have to pay someone to take it off my hands on top of it all. Might as well pay the maintenance fee and have a vacation at least. Luckily I knew someone in the Timeshare industry, and they told me no one can force you to trade your week for points... just say no. We went to an "owner's update" one year, and there it was...the points presentation and then the closer. Having been a sales closer myself (in another industry) I knew I could just say NO. The trick is not to give a reason for your "no"..it gives them nothing to come back at to overcome your "objection" . The "big wig" just got madder and more frustrated, and finally said "fine". I asked for my gift! "GIVE it to her." Some satisfactions there at least. LOL I will do as others suggested when board voting comes...I never give a proxy, but I will pay attention to those who are owners and vote them in!

Kristine S.

Last edited by kristines24 on Mar 08, 2021 03:00 PM

Mar 17, 2021

kristines24 wrote:
...How can I possibly rent for less than my fees? How can I sell for 90% less than I paid? Just soooo unfair. But, at age 72, guess I have to look at getting rid of it as none of the kids want any of my places. I cannot in good conscience stick them with this. I do not think it fair to have to pay someone to take it off my hands on top of it all. Might as well pay the maintenance fee and have a vacation at least.

The truth is that no resale timeshare buyer gives a hoot what a seller previously paid (or overpaid) for their timeshare -- nor should they. Resale market value simply "is what it is" and is determined by supply and demand and current open (resale) marketplace value. Some timeshares (Westgate comes immediately to mind as a good example) are virtually worthless in the resale market right after being purchased from the developer, since reservation constraints imposed upon Westgate resales are so absurdly restrictive. In another developer example, Diamond won't take back any DRI weeks which were purchased in the resale market at all under their "Transitions" deedback program --- not even if you are willing to pay DRI their current extortion-like $1,000 fee for DRI to accept a "deedback". That's just shameful.

We have owned and used a handful of (fixed) timeshare weeks for many years now, all of them purchased in the resale market. In 2021, we had to rent out several weeks for considerably less than our maintenance fees, having decided not to travel to places with inadequate Covid-protective practices. Renting for less than maintenance fees is a occasional and unfortunate reality --- even more so during these times of Covid-influenced economic and travel downturn.

I am around your age and in a comparable situation (although all of our timeshares were resale purchases, none were bought directly from any developer or chain). Our plan is that we will use and enjoy our weeks for as long as the annual maintenance fees are not prohibitive. We all know that maintenance fees will always and only go UP. If and when I see a truly prohibitive financial burden beginning to appear on the horizon, we will then say "No Mas" and sell off the weeks for their resale marketplace value --- whatever the value may be at that time.

Fair? Let's be honest --- there is very little (if any) "fairness" to be found in the timeshare world. It all seems to come down to a personal determination of cost vs. perceived "value". Understandably, everyone looks at that evaluation very differently, whether as a renter, owner, buyer or seller. The marketplace ultimately determines its' own dollar figures.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Mar 19, 2021 05:46 AM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.