Timeshare Companies

Marriott Vacation Club Destinations Exchange Program

Jul 14, 2012

Please clarify. I suspect that you rented a week from an owner, a one week use for a week that has already passed (last month). Is this correct?

If the above is correct, I suspect you have lost the rent you paid as the use week has already passed. If, by chance, the use week is in the future, I would contact the owner of the week and see if they will post the week for rental again on Redweek and share the proceeds with you. I do not see a way that you can rent the week yourself and provide the reservation documents to another user.

Den
Jul 14, 2012

Thanks. The week is months away. All I got from the owner is a confirmation number and my name attached to it. I called the resort and they have me in their reservation system all set for the week. I have done this before at another Marriott and that was all they required. What other reservation documents are needed? Thanks again.

William B.

Last edited by wbelvill on Jul 14, 2012 02:48 PM

Jul 14, 2012

Sounds like you have a reservation documented in your name that you can use as scheduled for a future date. I don't think you are missing anything. If you don't want to use the week, that is a different matter.

Den

Last edited by dennish144 on Jul 15, 2012 06:51 AM

Jul 15, 2012

Thanks. It is not that I don't want to use the week, but with my youngest son being deployed, the rest of the family has lost interest. My question is: Are there any rules prohibiting me from renting this week to another individual? I cannot find that issue addressed anywhere in the rules and regs. Thanks again.

William B.
Jul 15, 2012

I doubt that there are any rules prohibiting rental by you to another; however, I do not believe you could add the other persons name to the reservation. Thus, your renter would probably not be able to occupy the unit. For this reason, I suggest that you go back to the party who owns the unit and work something out such as a re-rental, turning the unit back for a fee, etc. You do not want to be responsible for having your renter show up and then be denied access to the unit. You could also pose your question to Marriott Vacation Club Owner Services - call them.

Den
Jul 15, 2012

Good advice. Thanks.

William B.
Dec 20, 2012

Besides Marriott, we also own with Starwood. We have preferred Starwood timeshare operation ever since we bought with them. There is never the same pressure as at Marriott (except occasionally to purchase additional time, and depending on the agent). With Marriott we have felt they are trying to get into your pocket at EVERY opportunity: to exchange (old method), to exchange for airline miles (always a cut to Marriott in the exchange--even if you pick the "value" option where you get airmiles, car rental week, plus the week at a Marriott hotel; and IF you wanted to exchange to another timeshare property, there was always an additional fee (except via Interval, where there was the standard fee and standard iffiness getting into a prime property). Starwood has always offered availability to it's other properties. If it was an even exchange to the same category/level property--it didn't cost you ANY additional points. You can often exchange points for amenities like spa, restaurant, activities, etc. People there nearly always treat us as respected guests(!) Sorry, to say, but at Marriott-- we pretty much always feel like a "mark".

I do think the annual fee for the DC is too high, however--esp. since, as they know, most people don't even exchange elsewhere! But we bought minimal so as to get some check-in/checkout /additional day flexibility and it serves that purpose. We NEVER exchange our original property weeks for points. And that was recommended from the outset to us--that we COULD do it, but would lose value if we traded those into points. I don't think availability is any more issue than it would have been had the resorts that have the trust property had sold out. Our understanding is that the DC folks are limited to the availability of the trust share property--if that's full too bad for them. (It's only +/- 15% of our property availability.) However, I don't know about locations where Marriott continues to build and add units.

Speaking of FEES--we did pay HUGE $$ to "move" our ownership from Shadow Ridge to Newport...one of the reasons being we could see how much expansion land was available at the previous property, thus limiting re-sale availability (Newport is now fully built-out)

[Not sure about Marriott, but our prime weeks with Starwood AZ rent for about 4-5x what we pay in annual fees. We would not be able to afford our visits in the peak period other than thru the timeshare ownership.]

Ca S.
Apr 22, 2013

Dennis im buying a 3rd party time share from someone.Am i allowed to use interval for trading if its Marriott not purchsed from Marriott?

dennish144 wrote:
Robin, I think you are on the right track and if I had it to do over again, I would pursue your track of either (1) renting or (2) buying a week in the aftermarket to use frequently. You have undoubtedly determined that you would need 4,700 Destination Pts to get your favored week at Ocean Watch - a $50,000 plus initial purchase with annual maintenance fees of about $1,900.

Weeks purchased in the aftermarket can be traded thru Interval, rented, or used. The only difference between a week acquired in the aftermarket and one purchased from Marriott Vacation Club is that the purchased week cannot be enrolled in Destinations. Not being able to enroll the week in Destinations means that you cannot trade for Vacation Club Points and/or Marriott Rewards Points; and, you cannot participate in the one-fee arrangement for transactions thru Interval. You can, however, join Interval and you just pay a fee per transaction. You would also have access to other Interval benefits such as Getaways, etc. - which might be better deal than your current rentals for the off season.

If you are buying a "week" in the aftermarket, you are not buying points. Marriott Vacation Club stopped selling vacation "weeks" in late spring, 2010. If you buy from Marriott Vacation Club, you will be buying "points."

Dennis

Gene G.
Apr 22, 2013

I am not Dennis, but I can let you know that you can still utilize Interval International for exchanges with your 3rd party resale.

Charles S.
Apr 22, 2013

Thank you so much i was starting to worry!!!!

Gene G.
Apr 23, 2013

I asked that very question when I had a sales presentation and the answer I got was the difference in what one got for a unit and someone else had to pay to get into it was because of "breakage". ie. people using units for less that a full 7 nights. My response to that was, "if breakage actually costs Marriott then let those that cause this breakage pay for it." Charge those that book for fewer than a full 7 nights a premium for that privelege. Why make everyone pay for the benefit of a few? Marriott is just trying to glean as many dollars from the pockets of loyal owners who already paid a premium for the weeks they own through Marriott. Weeks that are now worth only a small percentage of what they were purchased for.... and at worse case, cannot even be given away. Try getting on the board for one of your resorts so that one might have a voice..... forget it. Unless you're an ex President, CEO, city Manager, Governor, sleaze ball attorney or the like it's not possible. I am also a Wyndham owner and have all the flexibility I need through them. Oh, and when I visit a Wyndham resort I'm treated like an "owner" as opposed to being treated like a "guest" at Marriott. I can get a cup of coffee in the lobby/check in area and have access to a business center at no charge at Wyndham resorts. A small thing you may say but a big difference in how one is made to feel. Not like an ATM or, as the guy put it, like a "mark". With Marriott I feel like they have their hand out all the while I'm there..... and even when I'm not. LOL

Dennis N.
Apr 23, 2013

charless345 wrote:
I am not Dennis, but I can let you know that you can still utilize Interval International for exchanges with your 3rd party resale.

Use of Interval exchanges, etc. for a week purchased privately, a non-Marriott purchase -

You can use Interval the same as before the new Vacation Club Points program. However, you need to open or maintain a separate Interval account because activity for the privately purchased week is not covered under the new Interval arrangement and account. This means that you pay exchange fees, guest fees, etc. Inasmuch as I have weeks acquired thru Marriott and privately purchased weeks, I kept the old legacy Interval account.

One other thing, you continue to make reservations, etc. for a privately purchased week just as you do for weeks purchased thru Marriott. There seems to be no distinction in weeks when making reservations thru Marriott.

'Hope this helps.

Den

Last edited by dennish144 on Apr 24, 2013 12:31 PM

Apr 25, 2013

Thanks so much!!

dennish144 wrote:
charless345 wrote:

Use of Interval exchanges, etc. for a week purchased privately, a non-Marriott purchase -

You can use Interval the same as before the new Vacation Club Points program. However, you need to open or maintain a separate Interval account because activity for the privately purchased week is not covered under the new Interval arrangement and account. This means that you pay exchange fees, guest fees, etc. Inasmuch as I have weeks acquired thru Marriott and privately purchased weeks, I kept the old legacy Interval account.

One other thing, you continue to make reservations, etc. for a privately purchased week just as you do for weeks purchased thru Marriott. There seems to be no distinction in weeks when making reservations thru Marriott.

'Hope this helps.

Gene G.
Jul 03, 2014

We are a legacy owner at Oceanwatch and bought the day before they switched to points. We sit, each year through the sales presentation, but we cannot see the benefit to points for us, as we like our home resort. Last year our sales guy told us he may have access to legacy weeks and asked if we would call him before buying a resale. I think these must be foreclosure weeks. We are displeased at the culture we experience at the resort now. Our first visit we traded in through II and scored a June week for our Williamsburg Plantation property. The resort was kept up, staff courteous, people cared about the place. Of course they were either owners, renters from owners or trade ins like us. With the points system it seems like nobody is happy...I hear so many complaints. It has become difficult to get a week. And that sense of ownership is gone and people don't care about keeping things nice. Staff are different. New management, new rules, less customer service and respect. Marriott had a good thing going. But if have not met one satisfied DC owner in the past few years. If you overhear a group discussing there is such a high level of frustration.

Kevin M.
Jul 04, 2014

If you go to TUG there are plenty of happy legacy DC points members. There are also plenty that worked through the numbers and decided the DC was not for them and never joined.

The resales that Marriott broker are owners reselling through Marriott. Marriott sets the prices and takes a commission. I believe it is either 30 or 40%. The don't list everything they have for sale but they have some listed at: https://www.marriottvacationclub.com/resales/index.shtml

Tracey S.
Jul 07, 2014

tracey75 wrote:
If you go to TUG there are plenty of happy legacy DC points members. There are also plenty that worked through the numbers and decided the DC was not for them and never joined.

The resales that Marriott broker are owners reselling through Marriott. Marriott sets the prices and takes a commission. I believe it is either 30 or 40%. The don't list everything they have for sale but they have some listed at: https://www.marriottvacationclub.com/resales/index.shtml

Marriott Resales' commission is 40%. I just sold one of my two Cyprus Harbour, FL weeks that way. You are told up-front what the selling price will be and what you will get after the commission is taken out. Since we agreed to the price, they sold it for us. It was comparable to similar weeks prices being sold on Redweek, so that's why we let Marriott do it for us. But we had to be on a waiting list for about 6 months first before it was advertised for sale. That was ok with us since it wasn't urgent to sell it.

Elise F.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.