May 01, 2015

what type of assistance do you provide for safe transaction?

Reginald D.
May 10, 2015

We use a two page rental agreement that the occupant and we sign. We require a 50% non-refundable deposit up front when the agreement is signed and the week is taken off the market. The 50% balance is due 90 days before occupancy.

Payment is through PayPal, personal check or wire transfer. If the occupant is hesitant, we allow them to make the initial deposit check payable to Marriott. We use it to cover our next maintenance fee bill. When the balance is paid, we put their names on the reservation and forward the confirmation (with their name on it) from Marriott to them.

So far, never a problem with renters. They know if they don't make the second payment, they are forfeiting their deposit. A few times we have worked with renters to change dates but rarely.

We have dozens of timeshare weeks and we rent them regularly. We also rent from others. We find that using Redweek to rent out our weeks and to rent weeks from others to be much more efficient than using the exchange companies. We get exactly what we want, when we want. Because we can travel on a moments notice, we often get great last minutes deals.

John B.
May 19, 2015

John, we just rented our Marriott week through Redweek, so far so good. Do we just call the resort and change reservation to renter's name? How do we get a confirmation for the renter? Sorry for the basic questions!

Angela W.
May 19, 2015

Angela -

If you are doing a private transaction, and not using the escrow service, then please see this page for the step-by-step process: Rental Process

If you need further assistance, please Contact Us .

Phyllis

RedWeek Support
RedWeek.com
Jun 05, 2015

As a share time vacation owner, I had posted a 2 bedroom week in Myrtle Beach on RedWeek, but so far after 4-5 months no one has contacted me yet, what should I do next? Last year, the same 2 bd villas was rented out (the same price) shortly after the posting. Any advice from vacation owners would be appreciated.

Mimi Y.
Jun 05, 2015

Angela,

Sorry for the late reply, only saw your question just now.

Don't call the resort. Call Marriott Vacation Club Reservations at 800-845-4226. They will add your renter's name to the reservation. Your name stays on it. By adding the renter's name, the renter can check in and they will have more confidence when they see their name on the reservation confirmation.

Remember that you can always take the renter's name off the reservation right up until check in. I have started giving the renter the reservation confirmation once they have paid the initial deposit because I know I can take them off the reservation should they not pay in full.

The reservation confirmation comes with your personal information and other information that is not relevant to the renter and can cause the renter some anxiety. I go through the reservation confirmation and delete whatever isn't relevant to the renter before forwarding it to the renter.

John

John B.
Jun 05, 2015

Mimi,

It can be maddening. There are two approaches I take.

(1) On about the 65th day before occupancy, I move the date of usage back to the best rental date still available that year. This gives me more time to rent the week and I don't get penalized for a short notice.

(2) Wait it out. Every time I have moved a date back because I feared I wouldn't get the week rented, someone called me closer in time to the usage time to rent the unit. The professionals in renting timeshare weeks, at least the one's that I know, tell me that they always wait it out. Many people will plan a vacation under 60 days from the day they intend to travel. You can deposit your week a short time before scheduled usage (check to see how short) for later use. Doing so under 60 days from the usage date greatly restricts what you can get in a trade.

John B.
Jun 05, 2015

Mimi -

Please check your RedWeek Message box (click on "Messages" at the top of any page). I see that you have had several inquiries on your Myrtle Beach rentals. It sounds like your email server may be sending the inquiries to your spam folder. Copies of all inquires are sent to your RedWeek message box, so please be sure to check it regularly so you don't miss any messages.

If you have any questions, please Contact Us .

Phyllis

RedWeek Support
RedWeek.com
Jul 01, 2015

I am new to Redweek and am in the midst of conversing with an owner. After reading these forums I am concerned because he has numerous weeks listed at really inexpensive prices. He also states that he has never used a rental agreement and will just send me the guest certificate after he receives 50% payment. Does this sound legitimate?

Tara N.
Jul 01, 2015

A guest certificate usually (but not always) indicates the renting of an RCI or II exchange.

Tracey S.
Jul 01, 2015

My experience is that guest certificates are non-transferable.

John B.
Jul 01, 2015

Meaning he could not transfer the reservation to me?

Tara N.
Jul 02, 2015

It's done very frequently although it may be against the companies policy. The owner may face penalties from the HOA or exchange company if he gets caught. Your call.

Don P.

Last edited by donp196 on Jul 02, 2015 08:25 AM

Jul 02, 2015

I posted a week for rent on Redweek that was from a II certificate. II contacted me and said that certificates are not transferable and that whomever attempted to use it good be denied use of the accomodations. I don't know how II knew the posting was their certificate.

John B.
Jan 07, 2016

Yes I have twice. It was great and you can trust him. I paid by check and took a picture of it and texted it to him. I signed the contract first and paid half and paid the rest later on.

Lauren J.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.