Point Systems

Marriott Destination Club Points transfer process and required fees

May 06, 2013

I agree, these procedures only apply to reservations made through the Exchange Company. So there shouldn't be any issues with reserving trust inventory directly. I do think this should be taken to the Customer Advocacy Office if it hasn't already been done.

Marriott Vacation Club Corporate Office 800 936 6824 customer.advocacy@vacationclub.com Hours: 8:30 AM - 5:30 PM EST (Monday - Friday)

tracey75 wrote:
Even if this were the case and using the "Exchange Company" to reserve time outside of 60 days is considered a "special benefit"; it should not prevent the resale purchaser from reserving time directly from the trust properties and not utilizing the "exchange company" to reserve legacy enrolled units.

Is there any other part of the Member's interest that address the issue?

Jeremy T
May 06, 2013

Hi All, Thanks for everyones response and I got the scoop. I called customer care and working with a great person there. Basically the "new rule" is unless you have 1500 points they limit you to 60 days or prior to any Marriott trust property. Since I did not buy a week with the points they are saying this is the rule The issue at hand is when my seller bought in 2010 there was no rule like this and the 1500 pt rule was implemented after the fact. The worst part is Marriott did not inform those owners who owned less than 1500 points of this rule when the rule changed so therefor nobody knows this quirky ridiculous rule. The seller did not know, the title company did not know, and Marriott did not inform anyone prior to settlement but gladly took their $2300. Marriott had a due diligence to inform the closing company upon rofr they were going to limit me. To be honest not many people buy under 1500 points as I was just looking to add to my total, an so I am sure it does not affect many people but I fell into the small group and found out after the fact. Marriott will also not combine the total as they have seperate accounts for both aka legacy points and new points. Which leads us back to the issue of consumer rights and protection and non disclosure and not telling anyone about this rule other than new people wanting to buy points. So I hope my advocate at Marriott gets the job done and being an owner of 1 week and over 3000 points per year will have some factor and if not I will figure something out. Bottom line is these are legacy points and should be treated that way end of story. Anyone have any thoughts???

David H.

Last edited by david1722 on May 06, 2013 09:38 PM

May 06, 2013

I believe that there are TUG members who as the Marriott sales people sold it "super charged" their Legacy enrolled weeks with 1000 DC points. No one has reported that they have had any change. This sounds more like a punish the resale owner.

Also wouldn't you just be able to transfer the trust points into your legacy enrolled account and use it however you would like? On the Points board people rent out (sell one time use points) from both Legacy and Trust accounts and no one has reported problems.

Hope you get it solved and it is truly ridiculous that Marriott changed the rules without announcing it and publishing it anywhere on their website. From the beginning I believe, only enrolled Legacy owners were allowed to purchase 1000 points. Non enrolled members or non Marriott owners had to purchase a minimum of 1500 points.

Tracey S.
May 07, 2013

This seems confusing to me. I am in the program right now and own 2 every year shares and one that is every other year. Our Destinaton Points average about 9000 per year. Eventually we would like to consider getting to the Premier Plus Level, but it seems awfully expensive to do so. It seems that buying the points to make up the difference to get to 13000 will cost another $35,000 or more. They talk about moving the Premier Plus level even higher in the future, which sounds really pricey. Buying a resale from Marriott seemed to be a way to spend less, but I was told that you need to buy a matching amount of points, which would negate much of the savings associated with a resale. In other words, rather than buying a Marriott resale to make up the 4000 Destination Points, I would be forced to find a resale that equates to 2000 and then they would have to sell me the other 2000 in Trust points. When it is all said and done the Premier Plus Maintainence Fees per year would climb to the range of $5,000 and $6000 a year in total, which is a lot.

Dan S.

Last edited by dans383 on May 07, 2013 05:27 AM

May 07, 2013

what I am being told is because the rule now is 1500pts they have to go by the new rule Tracey. You can't transfer the points as they set up 2 account now within 1 membership for after market points. I have a customer advocate working on this but the restriction is under 1500 points and I bought 1000pts. He is reviewing alldocuments The issue at hand like I said is non disclosure by Marriott but hopefully they will do the right thing and grandfather these in. What a PITA this has become just a little information would have gone a long way

David H.
May 07, 2013

Anyone can transfer points to anyone as long as they both have accounts. If I wanted to "rent" points from you I would pay you and you would call Marriott and tell them to transfer points from your account to mine. How can they not allow you to transfer all your points from one account to another within your same membership?

This is a site that is run by a TUGGER and points are transferred between accounts all the time. http://vacationpointexchange.com/

https://www.my-vacationclub.com/common/vc/en-us/pdfs/enrollment_legal_docs/exchange_procedures.pdf

I do see the below on page 20 of the above document on my-vacationclub.com but they allow legacy owners to combine trust points (even as little as 1000) and enrolled legacy points to combine to obtain premier status so I don't see how they can say that you can't combine to obtain "standard" membership.

All Members Members with less than Base Interest Members who cancel a reservation less than sixty (60) days prior to the check-in date. Members who do not pay the initiation fee for a transferred Interest. 1+ nights: Can only reserve during the open reservation period of 60 days or less.

Tracey S.

Last edited by tracey75 on May 07, 2013 12:23 PM

May 07, 2013

Are your deeded resale trust points deeded differently than your legacy weeks? Perhaps that is causing the issue with the two account they have set up.

david1722 wrote:
what I am being told is because the rule now is 1500pts they have to go by the new rule Tracey. You can't transfer the points as they set up 2 account now within 1 membership for after market points. I have a customer advocate working on this but the restriction is under 1500 points and I bought 1000pts. He is reviewing alldocuments The issue at hand like I said is non disclosure by Marriott but hopefully they will do the right thing and grandfather these in. What a PITA this has become just a little information would have gone a long way

Jeremy T
May 07, 2013

I had an original week in Aruba which I paid a fee to be able to convert those to MVDP.. My week is worth 3075 points per year but I never bought actual points but converted the week to be able to use as points. So I don't have any points bought by themselves but am a legacy owner in the destination points program. They are just 4 seperate deeds at 250 per deed under 1 contract

David H.
May 07, 2013

Hi Tracey, I know anyone can transfer points as I also own 1200 points st Disney. Here is where I might have confused you I had an original week in Aruba which I paid a fee to be able to convert those to MVDP.. My week is worth 3075 points per year but I never bought actual points but converted the week to be able to use as points. So I can either due the week or use the points. I happen to convert to points every year. So I don't have any points bought by themselves but am a legacy owner in the destination points program and the seller is a legacy owner. They are just 4 seperate deeds at 250 per deed under 1 contract

David H.
May 09, 2013

Hi All, My advocate did great work and secured the points with no restrictions. It was shocking at first but Marriott did the right thing and is allowing these points to be part of the 3075 I have with my Aruba points week. Not because I was complaining but the fact was I have those other points which total over the 1500. Not 100% sure but I think that is what was explained. Like I said very few owners fall into this category but hopefully this will allow Marriott the opportunity to inform the owners who bought less than 1500 points so in the future this does not happen. Greeat Job Marriott

David H.
Jun 15, 2013

David (or anyone else that may know), don't know if you still check this tread but I have a quick question. Are you able to bank your resale DC points for MR points? I have heard two different answers on this. Thanks for your help.

david1722 wrote:
Hi All, My advocate did great work and secured the points with no restrictions. It was shocking at first but Marriott did the right thing and is allowing these points to be part of the 3075 I have with my Aruba points week. Not because I was complaining but the fact was I have those other points which total over the 1500. Not 100% sure but I think that is what was explained. Like I said very few owners fall into this category but hopefully this will allow Marriott the opportunity to inform the owners who bought less than 1500 points so in the future this does not happen. Greeat Job Marriott

Ryan B.
Jun 15, 2013

There is no limitation written in to the exchange procedures preventing resale owners for DC Trust Points from banking or borrowing them.

ryanb203 wrote:
David (or anyone else that may know), don't know if you still check this tread but I have a quick question. Are you able to bank your resale DC points for MR points? I have heard two different answers on this. Thanks for your help.

david1722 wrote:

Jeremy T
Jun 17, 2013

Agreed, but I'm not sure it's possible to bank or borrow, THEN convert to MR points. Since you get, I believe, 32 MR points per DC point, I personally wouldn't convert DC to MR in any event. ymmv...

jeremyt6 wrote:
There is no limitation written in to the exchange procedures preventing resale owners for DC Trust Points from banking or borrowing them.

ryanb203 wrote:

david1722 wrote:

Gary S.
Jun 17, 2013

I would agree, I think once you bank or borrow, you have to use those points for a reservation. You can't then convert them to Marriott Reward Points. I also don't think you can convert DC points to Marriott Reward points if you purchased the Trust Points on the external resale market.

Jeremy T
Jun 17, 2013

jeremyt6 wrote:
I would agree, I think once you bank or borrow, you have to use those points for a reservation. You can't then convert them to Marriott Reward Points. I also don't think you can convert DC points to Marriott Reward points if you purchased the Trust Points on the external resale market.

I don't think this is true, because when you buy resale points you have to pay Marriott the beneficial interest and education fee. You should have all of the benefits of the DC program after you have paid the fees.

Charles S.
Jun 18, 2013

Ryan, Yes you are they went into my point total

David H.
Sep 13, 2014

Us too!!! told us allkinds of made up stuff... worth nothing impossible to use HATE

Susan S.
Jul 29, 2015

When buying DC points on the resale market which party pays the beneficial interest fee which at a minimum is now 3000.

Bruce C.
Oct 02, 2016

Are you kidding? Who, in their right mind, would believe that a company would buy back their points (or stock) for more than what they sold them for? Do you believe that Marriott is a non profit company? They may buy your points but at a much discounted rate. They are in the market to MAKE money !!!

Mike G.
Apr 22, 2017

Hello everyone. My post is dated April 22, 2017. Sat through the presentation and today marriott owns the Starwood, Ritz and so forth. They now are offering ALL OWNERS WHO BOUGHT THEIR WEEKS IN 2010 OR EARLIER and on the 2ndary market, for $995.00, the ability of activate the 125,000 MRPs every other year and trade or not trade our weeks for points. There are five options, the first three WE ALL have already as owners. 1. Interval trading, 2). selling on REDWEEK.COM OR vrbo or whatever sale vehicle you choose, 3. using your week, 4. MR Points for hotels and/or air, (they offered me 125,000 per week EVERY OTHER YEAR expires every 12 months and you get a new 125,000 every 24 months). and 5). I OWN 2 weeks at M Desert Springs Villas1 so we get 3,225 points per week. We therefore have 6,450 points to be used for villas, tours, cruises, resorts whatever. It is an option to either do the 1st 3 or trade it to them for points. We are in the "Select" grouping and you need 7,000 points to have "Elite" or the immediate club "choosing" rather than the "60 day thing" we have all been reading about. They also offered $300 gratuity Marriott card or 50,000 MRPs and every year, if we pay for 4 nights at a M we get a 5th night for free. The fee is $185 per year and you get automatic membership to interval. We have the platinum with Interval for $600 every 5 years...I might be low on the price but I bought it for 5 years. . The reason we did not buy into all of this is because this is like a bitcoin operation in that it is a very closed system built on a hype by the Marriott brand, which is a very powerful brand. But when I asked about staying in a non M brand, they told me I had to go to Interval. So this is a purely Marriott hotel/inn/resort play. WE all need to truly understand the power of Interval PLUS Redweek and then you can realize that you get all that Marriott is offering today PLUS the rest of the world. They tell you that the new Marriotts resorts are not going into the pool of Interval availabilities...and yet those "new" owners are pitching them, just like you and I, on Redweek or whatever. I do not work for Marriott or Interval or redweek or VRBO, but the world is getting smaller because of the internet and the various sites that sell vacation weeks. It is my sincere opinion that you can do a lot more controlling OUR DEEDED weeks then giving them away to Marriott. As for valuation of the points, unless you can get into the Elite or platinum or whatever they call people with 7,000 points, you are INDEED hampered with 60 day prior to vacation status and though they claim there is no black out weeks, (the deeded people do have 1st priority over the points people...if it were the other way around and I found out about it, I would sue them immediately) I have heard that certain high usage weeks were not available for high demand location. We can spend sooooooooo much time reviewig or trying to better what we have. Keep your weeks, do NOT go on points and use Interval and Redweek and you can see how you just expanded the value of what you currently have tremendously. .

Fred R.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.