Timeshare Companies

vacation international

May 31, 2011

has anyone dealt with them? they are claiming they have a buyer wanting to pay me $27,900 for my playa del sol timeshare. they sent me a proposal stating no up front fees. they will collect their 8% commission after i get my proceeds. i can't figure out there scam. HELP..

Michelle
Jun 01, 2011

michellek224 wrote:
has anyone dealt with them? they are claiming they have a buyer wanting to pay me $27,900 for my playa del sol timeshare. they sent me a proposal stating no up front fees. they will collect their 8% commission after i get my proceeds. i can't figure out there scam. HELP..

Somewhere along the line they will want an upfront fee .... I can't see ANY timeshare in this economy selling for $27,900.

R P.
Jun 01, 2011

michellek224 wrote:
they are claiming they have a buyer wanting to pay me $27,900 for my playa del sol timeshare. . i can't figure out there scam. HELP..

If they genuinely have a buyer waiting in the wings ready to clunk down $27,000, tell them this: "Great! I will sell it to you for $10,000 then you can turn around and sell it to this buyer for $29,000. I will even pay the closing costs. There's a potential $17,000 profit for you!" Watch how quickly they reject that offer.

And I CAN figure out their scam. Once you agree to their proposal they will tell you that they need X amount of dollars for closing costs, lien search, Mexican back taxes, etc. hoping that you're so excited about receiving $27,000 for your timeshare, that you will be totally oblivious to these fees and agree to it thinking that that's a bargain considering what they're doing for you.

Lance C.
Jun 01, 2011

I received a similar offer today. $24,500 from Vacation Management International for my Playa del Sol Timeshare. The website at www.vacationmanagementinternational.com looks legit, but I can't help thinking it's too good to be true. A red flag is that they want me to return a proposal within the hour (supposedly the proposal isn't a commitment). I'll see if there is anything in the contract.

Keith O.
Jun 01, 2011

Here is a copy of the letter I received (my last name removed). Does this look legit?

Wednesday, June 01, 2011 Dear Keith , Vacation International Inc. would like you to consider the following resale proposal of your Playa Del Sol vacation property. Owner(s): Keith Resort: Playa Del Sol Unit Type: Studio 1+1 Season: Purchase Price Offer: $24,500 USD Vacation International Inc GUARANTEES the amount of ($24,500USD) will be paid to the owner(s) (Keith) after the transfer of ownership has been completed, and all parties have been satisfied. This information is provided by registered owner at independent resorts. Vacation International Inc. assumes all information to be accurate and true to the best of the owner´s knowledge. Seller must provide proof of ownership or deed. Vacation International Inc. will conduct a title search and verification prior to transfer of ownership. Conveyance of interest and final funding will take place 30 to 90 days following verification. Any discrepancy may warrant an adjustment by Vacation International Inc. or its agents. We at Vacation International Inc. hereby inform you that an 8% commission will be charged after the owner(s) (Keith) receive the final proceedings of their timeshare resale. There will be no other charges for services rendered neither from Vacation International, nor for any of its agents. Seller acknowledges that any outstanding obligations prior to the date of the resale from the above mentioned properties such as: Past due balances, Interest Charges, Past due Maintenance Fees or any other monetary obligations is sole obligation of the Registered Owner. BY SIGNING THIS “PROPOSAL”, OWNERS DO NOT RELINQUISH THE RIGHT TO THEIR PROPERTY. “YOU STILL OWN IT! Please feel free to contact us with any further questions or concerns. ____________________________ ______________________________ Marketing Manager Owner(s) Robert Jones Keith

Keith O.
Jun 07, 2011

I got the same letter from them offering me $76,900 for my two bedroom. The person who rents one of my weeks for me said it was a scam. Can you imagine someone shelling out this kind of money for 50 properties. That's what they told me his buyer was looking to purchase. One other thing to be aware of is that some of the timeshare properties will also charge you 10% to change ownership. So you'll end up losing 18% off the top. That's not to mention the other fees that may be lurking somewhere else.

Michelle G.
Jun 07, 2011

Many Thanks for that. I got scammed once, never again!

Michelle
Jun 08, 2011

I have reviewed this offer from Vacation International, Inc. First, this company, which appears to be based in Michigan, is not authorized to do business in Michigan. There are no corporate papers on file indicating who the principals of the corporation are or who its agent for service of process for any lawsuits or claims. Second, the contract refers repeatedly to paragraph 6 (which may be different in your copy) which involves the payment by you of many undisclosed fees and charges. These charges have to be paid by you within five days of signing the contract. You have no idea of what the fees are or how much they would be. They could be thousands of dollars. If you don't pay the fees within five days, the company cancels the contract, but still charges you the 8% commission on the alleged "sale price" of the unit. They will probably file a lien against your property to prevent you from ever selling it without paying them the 8% commission. Lastly, the contract requires that any lawsuits brought against the company be filed in Michigan. So, after you get ripped off, you will have to hire an attorney in Michigan to fight for you. That is, if you can find the company and its assets. I think that this is a scam, but If you want to proceed, demand that they change the paragraph requiring payment of fees within five days to payment of the fees at closing. Also, demand that any lawsuits under the agreement be brought in your home state. I have a feeling that if you make these demands, you will never hear from them again. Good luck and be careful!

Roger T.
Jun 08, 2011

Now that makes sense! Many thanks for the breakdown! I asked to change the wording and to reduce the mat minus the commission and have the Buyer pay the commission. I never heard back from them!

Michelle
Jun 08, 2011

They must be making the rounds of Playa del Sol owners! I just got off the phone with them as well. They are not a BBB member (nor need they be) so there are no results with the BBB. I found this site, as I always do a "complaint" search for anyone that approaches me to sell my timeshare. Funny, the agent started out with 34,500 and then just changed it to 37,000 to "round it out". Buyer bewary! I haven't seen their proposal yet but shall peruse it with a fine tooth comb.

S B.
Jun 08, 2011

I also got a call from these guys yesterday with same proposals as I've seen here. I asked them why in the world would they pay me this amount when they could get the same thing off the internet with so any people trying to dump timeshares for nothing. Their answer was they would get a tax write off by buying them this way. I'm so glad I kept researching them and found this site I knew It had to be a scam. I also looked for them on BBB,not there. It looks ligit by them say no fees will be asked of owner. I did fax my deed but with void across it we'll see.

Karen W.
Jun 09, 2011

sb164 wrote:
They must be making the rounds of Playa del Sol owners! I just got off the phone with them as well. They are not a BBB member (nor need they be) so there are no results with the BBB. I found this site, as I always do a "complaint" search for anyone that approaches me to sell my timeshare. Funny, the agent started out with 34,500 and then just changed it to 37,000 to "round it out". Buyer bewary! I haven't seen their proposal yet but shall peruse it with a fine tooth comb.

See, this should have raised a big red flag with you as I don't know of any timeshare on earth that's selling for $37,000 when people are giving away their timeshares left and right .... it's all BS to get money from you.

R P.
Jun 09, 2011

If anyone is still not convinced this is too good to be true and will complete their transaction with this company and actually gets their $$ with out any fees outside of the 8% commission. Please post. I would like to here about "resales" getting that type of return.

Michelle
Jun 13, 2011

I just received a call from Vacation Management International out of Michigan as well. We have a timeshare at Sandos Playacar (Playa Del Carmen, Mexico) that I have had for a few years. I was offered $33,900 to start, then they increased it to $36,900 after finding out that it is a 2-bedroom, 4-week floating, Royal Elite, golf, spa, yacht package that is fully paid off. We basically paid 18k for this, so to have someone want to pay double seems a bit too good to be true. They did not mention anything on the phone about me paying anything - and I told him (Richie) that I would NOT pay anything out of my pocket - he of course assured me that I would not have any expenses. He did say that a Pharmaceutical Company was looking to purchase 50 units, and I needed to act fast, like send him a copy of my contract today or no later than tomorrow, with the words "Void and Non-Negotiable" across it, so they could do the title search. I am waiting to see the paperwork in my email - although I do not have any intentions of following through with any of it (after reading all of this)...He did mention a commission, but I am not sure who would pay that (after reading, it is probably me), although I was pretty sure he said the buyer pays. I am pretty sure this is probably a scam, and like someone else said, if you have gone through with this, and it worked out, please post!!

Devon S.
Jun 14, 2011

devons11 wrote:
I just received a call from Vacation Management International out of Michigan as well. We have a timeshare at Sandos Playacar (Playa Del Carmen, Mexico) that I have had for a few years. I was offered $33,900 to start, then they increased it to $36,900 after finding out that it is a 2-bedroom, 4-week floating, Royal Elite, golf, spa, yacht package that is fully paid off. We basically paid 18k for this, so to have someone want to pay double seems a bit too good to be true. They did not mention anything on the phone about me paying anything - and I told him (Richie) that I would NOT pay anything out of my pocket - he of course assured me that I would not have any expenses. He did say that a Pharmaceutical Company was looking to purchase 50 units, and I needed to act fast, like send him a copy of my contract today or no later than tomorrow, with the words "Void and Non-Negotiable" across it, so they could do the title search. I am waiting to see the paperwork in my email - although I do not have any intentions of following through with any of it (after reading all of this)...He did mention a commission, but I am not sure who would pay that (after reading, it is probably me), although I was pretty sure he said the buyer pays. I am pretty sure this is probably a scam, and like someone else said, if you have gone through with this, and it worked out, please post!!

If this is legitimate, and I don't believe it is, then they can take their commission after closing? If they insist they need money upfront then it's a scam, period.

R P.
Jun 15, 2011

***Attention*** We just sent $1690 to Mexico in hopes that this is legit. When I was contacted by Vacation International they are not BBB but are a huge International Company. Also, the escrow company, Alliance had web history and I found company stats on-line. They sent me their licensing info but that could be bogus. HERE IS WHAT I'M DOING TOMORROW---JUST IN CASE--Contacting the DA in each pertinent city and getting them involved. Afterall, the Escrow company says it has our funds being held in our name. I'm going to confirm that. I'm also contacting an attorney in Michigan to discuss a class action law suit. PLEASE EMAIL me so I have your contact information. The resale market is hideous and I'm sure this is to good to be true. Let's band together before they close shop and move on to others. They guaranteed our money for June 22, 7 more days. I promise I will post immediately on June 23. eagle7enterprises@yahoo.com

Ilona K.
Jun 16, 2011

They called me just today. I'm very leery of anything. On the web or in person. I got taken in Mazatlan, Mexico last year for $28K. This guy was calling me up offered $49,000 for my timeshare for 1 week. I told him I had 2 weeks, and my timeshare was top-of-the-line with the Mayan Resorts, and I wanted $130K. He said, 'are you serious", and I told him that I was very serious. We got off the phone, and called back and said the owner would offer me $125K. I said "No". They said they're going to send me a proposal with the offer for $130k. I asked him why doesn't the corporation owner just go buy them outright, and they said he's not married. I said, "well I'm not married". He said, "really". I told him they cared about is if I had a Mastercard, and was a like 25. So that was a red flag there.

This is the email:

Dear Tiana Heyley,

I have attached the proposal for your property in Mexico. Please review, sign it and return it to us via email or fax. I would appreciate it if you can attach the cover sheet (a copy of the Certificate of ownership or a copy of any document that shows your name (s) and the Resorts name); to prove your ownership. Please write VOID across on it.

Kind Regards,

-- Alessandra Simpson Vacation International, INC 975 Cherry St. SE, Ste 201 Grand Rapids, MI 49506 Ph: (616) 723-8005 Fax: (616) 723-8006 Toll Free (866) 495-7717 www.vacationmanagementinternational.com webmail@vacationmanagementinternational.com

Here's the proposal attached:

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Dear Tiana Heyley, Vacation International Inc. would like you to consider the following resale proposal of your Grand Luxx Nuevo Vallarta vacation property.

Owner(s): Tiana Heyley Resort: Grand Luxx Nuevo Vallarta Unit Type: 1BD L/OFF 1+1 VIP Membership Season: Purchase Price Offer: $130,000 USD

Vacation International Inc GUARANTEES the amount of ($130,000USD) will be paid to the owner(s) (Tiana Heyley) after the transfer of ownership has been completed, and all parties have been satisfied. This information is provided by registered owner at independent resorts. Vacation International Inc. assumes all information to be accurate and true to the best of the owner´s knowledge. Seller must provide proof of ownership or deed. Vacation International Inc. will conduct a title search and verification prior to transfer of ownership. Conveyance of interest and final funding will take place 30 to 90 days following verification. Any discrepancy may warrant an adjustment by Vacation International Inc. or its agents.

We at Vacation International Inc. hereby inform you that an 8% commission will be charged after the owner(s) (Tiana Heyley) receive the final proceedings of their timeshare resale. There will be no other charges for services rendered neither from Vacation International, nor for any of its agents. Seller acknowledges that any outstanding obligations prior to the date of the resale from the above mentioned properties such as: Past due balances, Interest Charges, Past due Maintenance Fees or any other monetary obligations is sole obligation of the Registered Owner.

BY SIGNING THIS “PROPOSAL”, OWNERS DO NOT RELINQUISH THE RIGHT TO THEIR PROPERTY. “YOU STILL OWN IT!

Please feel free to contact us with any further questions or concerns.

____________________________ ______________________________ Marketing Manager Owner(s) Robert Jones

What a bunch of crock. They didn't even spell my name correctly or the name of my timeshare. They don't know ****. They just want to pull the wool over your eyes.

Tiana H.
Jun 17, 2011

I am the orginator of this dialogue. at this point all I can say is .. i am glad a venue like redweek exists to have this type of dialogue! i hope this info has saved someone from losing their shirt with these type of scam artists. FYI. credit card companies ie mastercard,visa and discover will not protect you if you give out your #. The only credit card company that would reverse charges is AMEX. But the good scam artist do not take AMEX. That is how i lost my $2142 with another scam in Jan offering me $41k for my 308k points Wyndham. Beware... trust your gut. in this case some things are too good to be true.

Michelle
Jun 17, 2011

one question.. the money the escrow company has is your 8% commission to them? pls explain. lets band together.. mk@kadushingroup.com

Michelle
Jun 17, 2011

michellek224 wrote:
one question.. the money the escrow company has is your 8% commission to them? pls explain. lets band together.. mk@kadushingroup.com

Yep, and that's all they want then they'll disappear from your life.

R P.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.