Point Systems

RCI weeks member with points questions

Jul 19, 2011

I own a timeshare in Kaanapali, and am currently an RCI weeks member. I have been relatively happy exchanging my week and vacation with my family. As a matter of fact I am at Hilton Head as I am typing this. My wife and I went to the same old "come here for two hours, hear what we have to say, and get free stuff" speech. And now I am concerned that the diminishing availability of resorts as an RCI weeks member is going to eventually force me to go to RCI points, or some other points-based system. Is this the reality, or just something fabricated to sell me another time share to get me into the RCI points system? And, if it is inevitable that I will eventually have to convert from weeks membership to points, what is the most in-expensive way to do this? Do I have to purchase another time share to be able to use my current ownership in a points-based system?

Keith F.
Jul 20, 2011

keithf80 wrote:
I own a timeshare in Kaanapali, and am currently an RCI weeks member. I have been relatively happy exchanging my week and vacation with my family. As a matter of fact I am at Hilton Head as I am typing this. My wife and I went to the same old "come here for two hours, hear what we have to say, and get free stuff" speech. And now I am concerned that the diminishing availability of resorts as an RCI weeks member is going to eventually force me to go to RCI points, or some other points-based system. Is this the reality, or just something fabricated to sell me another time share to get me into the RCI points system? And, if it is inevitable that I will eventually have to convert from weeks membership to points, what is the most in-expensive way to do this? Do I have to purchase another time share to be able to use my current ownership in a points-based system?

If you and your wife are happy, then there's no need to "upgrade". These resorts tell all sorts of lies and half-truths to get you to shell out more dough.

If you fall for this one, next year you'll go there and they'll give you another sales spiel telling you that the program that you just upgraded to is going the way of the Dodo Bird and you need to shell out thousands more to this "new and improved" system.

It will be an ongoing thing year after year.

If you really feel the urge to have an RCI Points resort, you can pick one up on E-bay for next-to-nothing.

Also, if you feel that your RCI Weeks is going to be valueless in the trading pool, maybe investigate using some of the smaller, independent exchange companies like Dial-an-Exchange, Platinum Interchange, Trading Places International, etc. Disclaimer: I'm not saying definitely use these exchange companies, I'm just saying investigate.

Lance C.
Jul 27, 2011

keithf80 wrote:
And now I am concerned that the diminishing availability of resorts as an RCI weeks member is going to eventually force me to go to RCI points, or some other points-based system. Is this the reality, or just something fabricated to sell me another time share to get me into the RCI points system?
If you own a deeded week, you can NEVER actually be "forced" to convert your ownership to points. My advice is to keep what you already have and simply ignore the noise and babble spouting forth from those hungry, lying sales weasels. As a relevant aside, NONE of the numerous resorts at which I own weeks are "Points" facilities and none have any plans or interest to become "Points" facilities. There is no "inevitability" in this matter and resort conversion to RCI Points is a trend which may very well be losing steam, overall. It's an individual RESORT decision whether or not to become "RCI Points" based --- it's NOT a decision which RCI can just unilaterally impose upon ANY resort without the resort's full knowledge and overt agreement.

As mentioned above already, you could easily pick up a separate RCI Points ownership (...for pennies, these days). If you have a RCI Points account, you then also have the option of "Points for Deposit" (aka PFD). PFD would allow you to "deposit" your NON-Points week into your points account on a year to year basis, thereby giving your week a "points" value for that "deposit" --- WITHOUT paying any "permanent conversion" fee for your non-points week AND without affecting in any way the underlying ownership of your deeded week. I'm not recommending this, just pointing out the existence of this option, which some regard as having the "best of both worlds". It used to be that when you have a Points membership with RCI, then your weeks membership fee is ALSO covered. I'm not entirely sure if that's still the case, as RCI is (deservedly) notorious for continually changing the rules, the costs, and otherwise "moving the goalposts".

Just some thoughts and observations for your consideration...

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jul 27, 2011 08:19 AM

Oct 03, 2011

I own RCI points and are very happy happy with them. I can book weeks and points units and always find something I'm happy with... I love it.... My aunt upgraded to points and has never looked back. She feels it's so much easier to book a place you like. Now we book early, as soon as we can, 9 months out. However, if you really are perfectly happy with what you have, and your trade ability, then why spend the money?

Chris W.

Last edited by chris223 on Oct 03, 2011 03:49 PM

Nov 21, 2011

Hi, We have point units at Divi Divi and a deeded week at Occidental in Aruba and was able to convert that deeded week to points through RCI. We only have to pay the one fee through RCI and it covers them all. Good Deal.

Darlene G.
Mar 01, 2013

as a RCI weeks member

keithf80 wrote:

Ronald I.
Mar 01, 2013

I also am a points owner who loves it! I think this is not losing steam and is the new "norm" in timeshare. Hilton and Marriott have all gone to a points system. Sooner or later, in my honest opinion, you will have difficulty. Everything gets more expensive with time. My suggestion is find a cheap way to upgrade. Sooner rather than later. However, if you are sticking with your home week and home unit every year.... You absolutely can stay and not upgrade. Like someone said ,buy a cheap points unit on the secondary market for trading. I'm concerned about the pay one fee and upgrade all your timeshares. My Aunt did this , owns three timeshares and now has passed away. It's a real disaster trying to disentangle these three units to be passed on to us as non connected separate units. Which is how they were originally bought. I do think RCI timeshare needs to streamline their processes and costs. My aunt had to purchase another small interest in a different unit to do this requiring a another maintenance fee. So , it does feel like a scam.

Chris W.
Mar 01, 2013

Please don't fall for this scam. Search "Point Rental Liquidators" and "Sunset Harbor Resort" on this forum and you'll find all about the "weeks are becoming useless, convert to points" scam. The "salesmen" tell you that you must purchase a timeshare condo that's in the points system in order to convert your current weeks timeshare to points. It's a lie. Call RCI and ask them. These con artists scammed my parents out of $9500 and lots of other people too. You can read all about it on this forum and Scambook.com and others.

keithf80 I am concerned that the diminishing availability of resorts as an RCI weeks member is going to eventually force me to go to RCI points, or some other points-based system. Is this the reality, or just something fabricated to sell me another time share to get me into the RCI points system?

Tina K.
Mar 02, 2013

tinak117 Please don't fall for this scam. Search "Point Rental Liquidators" and "Sunset Harbor Resort" on this forum and you'll find all about the "weeks are becoming useless, convert to points" scam. The "salesmen" tell you that you must purchase a timeshare condo that's in the points system in order to convert your current weeks timeshare to points. It's a lie. Call RCI and ask them. These con artists scammed my parents out of $9500 and lots of other people too. You can read all about it on this forum and Scambook.com and others.

keithf80 wrote:
I am concerned that the diminishing availability of resorts as an RCI weeks member is going to eventually force me to go to RCI points, or some other points-based system. Is this the reality, or just something fabricated to sell me another time share to get me into the RCI points system?

To all RCI deeded fixed week owners ..... fixed weeks are, and will always be, the overwhelming majority of timeshare ownership .... if you're satisfied with your fixed week then there is absolutely NO REASON for you to buy into the RCI points program .... it's not mandatory that you ever buy into the points program no matter what a points salesperson will tell you .... especially for the hefty fee of $3500.

You can continue to use your fixed week, rent it or deposit it for an exchange .... nothing changes unless you want it to .... don't be talked into buying points if you're satisfied with your fixed week.

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Mar 02, 2013 07:40 AM

Mar 27, 2013

We own an RCI points timeshare and have used up all our points through 2014. We just prepaid our 2015 RCI membership so we may use those points to make plans for Feb. of 2014. I know that RCI charges 2 cents /point to buy points. I see ads from people selling their points for 1 cent a point. I'm wondering if this is legitimate and if so, how are the points transferred? Thank you.

Ann S.
May 07, 2013

Personally, I feel as though this whole points conversion thing is a breach of contract between us owners, and RCI. I bought a deeded property at a fair price to exchange with "Owners" of other properties, and now I am being told that people who do not own property get preference over me. I have stopped depositing my 2 weeks in my "Gold Crown" resort now, and RCI has been very accommodating all of a sudden. If all the owners stopped depositing there properties, where do the people with the points system stay?

Mark H.
May 08, 2013

markh525 wrote:
I bought a deeded property at a fair price to exchange with "Owners" of other properties, and now I am being told that people who do not own property get preference over me.

Are you speaking of points owners over deeded week owners? You own a deeded week, you deposit that week and look for what you want or do an ongoing search. The best exchanges are those owners that deposit early (sometimes a year in advance) to get what they want no matter if they own a deeded week or points.

R P.
May 10, 2013

That use to be the case, but RCI told a group of us at the sales pitch meeting to get deeded owners to switch to the point system, for $6,000.00, that point owners get preference over deeded owners on choosing locations to exchange into. If you sign into the RCI website now, you have to choose whether you are a points owner or a weeks owner before you can start your search.

Mark H.
May 11, 2013

I own both points and weeks in RCI. Prior to the change to tpu's in 2010 points were better but not anymore. I good week is better than most converted pointed weeks. RCI is selling resorts on converting as a way for resorts to get money from existing owners. Unless RCI makes major changes (which could happen but certainly hasn't happened yet) if someone wants points they can buy a points timeshare on ebay for under $100. It certainly isn't worth more than that to convert and no where near the $1995-$3995 that resorts charge.

Tracey S.
May 11, 2013

markh525 wrote:
That use to be the case, but RCI told a group of us at the sales pitch meeting to get deeded owners to switch to the point system, for $6,000.00, that point owners get preference over deeded owners on choosing locations to exchange into. If you sign into the RCI website now, you have to choose whether you are a points owner or a weeks owner before you can start your search.

Then RCI is cutting off their nose to spite their face .... it's hard to believe RCI would pull something like this telling RCI week owners that points owners get better exchanges than deeded week owners .... this is an outrage and should be reported to RCI's top corp officers.

R P.
May 13, 2013

I just got back from my home resort at Vacation Village at Weston. I have never actually stayed there before, but I decided to start going there because I don't wish to use RCI anymore. It's a very nice place. After I checked in, I had to see the "concierge" (aka RCI person) to get my parking pass. He said that I had to get "updated" and needed to attend a free breakfast meeting, which required a $20 deposit. In return, I would receive free show tickets, or some other rewards. I went to the meeting to be "updated", but wasn't allowed to enter the building because my wife wasn't with me. If I am being updated on matters of the resort, why does my wife need to be with me? Well, how can I switch over to the points system unless she signs the paperwork as well...right!? Needless to say, the "concierge" regrets the day that he met me! It took me 3 days to get my $20 back.

Mark H.
May 14, 2013

markh525 wrote:
I just got back from my home resort at Vacation Village at Weston. I have never actually stayed there before, but I decided to start going there because I don't wish to use RCI anymore. It's a very nice place. After I checked in, I had to see the "concierge" (aka RCI person) to get my parking pass. He said that I had to get "updated" and needed to attend a free breakfast meeting, which required a $20 deposit. In return, I would receive free show tickets, or some other rewards. I went to the meeting to be "updated", but wasn't allowed to enter the building because my wife wasn't with me. If I am being updated on matters of the resort, why does my wife need to be with me? Well, how can I switch over to the points system unless she signs the paperwork as well...right!? Needless to say, the "concierge" regrets the day that he met me! It took me 3 days to get my $20 back.

Yes, Vacation Village at Weston is a very nice resort, especially if you wish to check out south FL, the Everglades, Miami, Ft Lauderdale's intercoastal waterway and all the big yachts and mansions along it's way .... we took a water-taxi to a nice restaurant on the waterway. VV at Weston also provides a tour bus to Key West for a fee .... that was a very nice feature. Also, if one loves to golf VV is a golfer's heaven.

I hope you plan to visit your resort more often to see the sites of SE FL.

As far as you hounding the concierge for your money back .... KUDOS to you for being unrelenting = "the squeeky wheel gets the grease".

R P.
Aug 04, 2013

No you will ever have to convert to points unless you feel you need to. If you have a FIXED week you are guaranteed that week every year. If its. A FLOATING week all that says is, you and use it any week based on availability.

When Fairfield/Wyndham bought RCI they would love you to be on points then they get their property back issuing you a UDI ( undivided interest warrant). You then own rights of usage but. No tangible property.

Keep it FIXED.

James J.
Aug 08, 2013

Yes James, I own a fixed week and plan on keeping it. My wife and I really liked the resort at Weston, and we LOVED Lauderdale By the Sea!! It is only 30 minutes away, and a really wonderful spot to spend the day sunning, then eating at one of the great restaurants on the beach. Also, I am a golfer, and access to two nice courses is only minutes away! I don't think we will be needing RCI any longer anyway. Best advice yet James, "Keep it FIXED"!

Mark H.
Oct 05, 2013

This is such a good forum. The topic solves most of my questions. We own a fixed week in VV of Weston as well. (bought in year 2004 in a very good deal while the resort was under pre-construction). Over the years, RCI kept asking if we want to change to points. (We recently got an email again, about two months ago, hinted us to "call asap to learn important changes". I doubted it was point issue and didn't even bother to call.) My husband and I both felt there is no reason to pay that amount of $$ to "upgrade". I am so glad to read this topic and know there are people think the same as us.

Jennifer Y.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.