The Manhattan Club

Manhattan Club Lawsuit

Nov 23, 2016

I may be that there is no NEW information. Now that Schneiderman has the Trump U case out of the way, he will increases the priority and attention to this one. We can only hope.

Dennis C.
Nov 23, 2016

Re: RCI We joined The Manhattan Club in 2005 and a 1 year subscription to

RE: question about RCI We joined tmcny in 2005 and part of the deal was a 1 year subscription to RCI. We did not use the RCI as we live in NJ and were just interested in tmcny at the time, so we did not renew the RCI. Then in 2013 when it was getting very difficult to get reservations we were sold membership in RCI and told it would be easier as we also had access to the Hilton. We also were told at that time that we had to make reservations through RCI and could no longer make them via reservations at tmcny. This is pretty annoying as now we must make the reservations through RCI 11 months before we wish to use the unit, instead of the 9 months prior through tmcny. We tend to take the time in days rather than weeks, since we live in NJ. RCI has its benefits but we would not do it again as it has made getting what we want more difficult when plain old tmcny members are finding it easier to get reservations now that so many have stopped paying their maintenance fees. We feel like 2nd class citizens now in that we must go through RCI, like other RCI members who are not tmcny members. Forget the possibility of The Hilton. It is almost never available on RCI, so that was another sales pitch lie. Dee

Dru M.
Nov 23, 2016

drusillam2 Dee You should send that very same info to the NYAG, so he can add it to the other stories of deceit and fraud perpetrated by TMC. You'll find full mailing address for the AG's office if you scroll back a few pages. Hopefully your complaints can help get some action, if you direct them to the right source.

Sally W.
Nov 23, 2016

@ drusillam2: are you sure you made a contract for 1 year subscription with RCI? Typically, the owners have to cancel RCI subscription and payments to RCI to cancel RCI membership. If yes, which document did you sign? Was it mentioned in your Purchase Agreement?

We reside in NJ and visit Atlantic City numerous times a year. Considering the MC possible bankruptcy we signed up for the AC TS resorts presentation and attended it last weekend. We asked at the sales pitch about the Offering Plan, the sales Rep had no idea what we were talking about.

When we got to the point "own it forever" we asked whether there were options to get out from the contract considering that the maintenance fees will raise, we will be closer to the retirement, and our kids/beneficiaries were not interested in such deals. Rep #1 did not have an answer and invited Rep #2. Rep#2 did not have an answer and invited Rep#3. The last one told we could sale it for profit, or donate. We argued these variations were not an option.

At the next phase of presentation where the price was drastically reduced we were asked what stopped us from buying. We mentioned the point to getting out. In couple minutes the manager showed up and said he "created' such an option: when the mortgage will be paid off (or full price of the Deed, within two years ). We asked for the written documentation, he could not present any. Obviously, we did not purchase.

My point to telling the story that the entire TS sales industry, in most cases, is a fraud. Hope, NYAG efforts will resolve it.

Fibo N.
Nov 24, 2016

Is anyone out there not paying there maintenance fees? I'm considering not paying them this year being that they are north of $3000 per year and becoming unaffordable

Gary P.
Nov 24, 2016

I own a Penthouse suite as well and considering not paying my $3300 maintenance fee for 2017. What are the repercussions?

Gary P.
Nov 24, 2016

There are people in many different status' not paying mortgage not paying maintenance paying taxes only and many combinations and timings

So if this thing ever comes to some kind of settlement...or whatever the END of it is, there will be lots to sort out. Those who are in full compliance probably will have the better outcome (even if it's bad), than those who are out of compliance somehow. You need to weigh your cost versus the risk of being in a lesser status than other 'owners'.

Dennis C.
Nov 24, 2016

Hi. My wife and I stop paying our fees this year. we can no longer afford the continued increases year after year. we feel as everyone we were defrauded - we could never get the times we wanted, we were told the fees would no increase that much. that we could sell it for a profit, and they would buy it back. Well we spent too much money already and have nothing a worthless deed and lifetime payments. No more for us I hope and pray the courts will do the right thing. Good luck to us all.

Gary S.
Nov 24, 2016

I haven't paid in two years and sent them a letter one year ago when they tried to bill me in August and threaten me with collection at some high percentage if not paid. The fees were not due until February anniversary of purchase and I told them so and that they could not charge interest in advance of that date. Still not paying them.

George

George M.
Nov 24, 2016

Yesterday I had a Redweek email and link to this site. Looked at it on my cell phone and someone had posed their personal email to send to if one wished to join the suit. I wanted to use my computer not my cell to do so and today cannot fine her post. I think her email was something like "Shirley..... ". Does anyone have that email address to be able to join the civil suit? Thanks

George

George M.
Nov 24, 2016

garyp151 If you'll scroll back and read some of the recent history here, you will see that many folks have stopped paying both maintenance fees and mortgage payments. Attempted repercussions are also described. If you are considering stopping payments, which I did some time ago, then you'll be interested in reading the information others have already shared here.

Sally W.
Nov 25, 2016

Update I received last week regarding the Manhattan Club class action and contact information for the lead attorney:

"The NY Attorney General investigation is proceeding, and the motion to dismiss a currently pending class action suit has been adjourned to January 5, 2017 for now. Three prior class action suits at the Manhattan Club have been dismissed. But, at least for the time being, the current class action still survives."

douglas f. wasser, esq.

doug@wassruss.com

wasser & russ, llp

attorneys at law

80 maiden lane l suite 1502 l ny ny 10038

tel: 212.430.6040 l fax: 212.430.6041

www.wassruss.com

Irene P.
Nov 25, 2016

Is this a new suit, Alex? I am highly interested to receive the survey!!! Thank You!!!!!!!!

alexc100 wrote:
MC owners opened a lawsuite / class action in regards to the MC resrvations.

Everyone who is inerested to join the class action please contact me at alexcrystal22@gmail.com

You will be asked to fill out the Survey and send it or email the lawyer's office. It is urgent! Regards, Alex

Lynn S.
Nov 25, 2016

I am not paying. Refuse to fund TMC legal defense against us.

garyp151 wrote:
Is anyone out there not paying there maintenance fees? I'm considering not paying them this year being that they are north of $3000 per year and becoming unaffordable

Lynn S.
Nov 25, 2016

alexcrystal22@gmail.com email delivery failed Tried sending!!. Can you send me a survey to gpaccagn@verizon.net Thanks Gary

Gary P.
Nov 26, 2016

People have mentioned paying the taxes but not the fees. How do you do this, since apparently they are billed together? Did you ask TMC to send you a statement breaking out the taxes from the fees, or just ask them what the breakdown is on the phone?

And after finding out what the taxes are, how do you pay them? Do you send the them to TMC? When are they due? TMC normally has billed the fees in DEC but my mother cancelled the credit card they had on file so they couldn't take the fees. (If they are due at that time, like other property taxes, you couldn't wait to declare them on your tax return.)

My mom is an owner and I'm helping her deal with all this. After reading through this thread a while back I recommended not paying the fees but paying the taxes, but we are not sure how to do this.

Thomas M.

Last edited by thomasm832 on Nov 26, 2016 08:51 AM

Nov 26, 2016

This is a good question. I have a penthouse and I paid cash so there's no mortgage payments but I don't want to default on the taxes. I did stop paying the fees however. I live in California so I'm not sure how to pay the taxes. Any advice or suggestions would've appreciated.

Becky F
Nov 26, 2016

Re paying TMC taxes and not fees, every year the bill I receive from TMC gives a total amount due, then breaks down the amount for maintenance fees and the amount for RE taxes. I write a check to TMC at address given on the bill, and make a notation on the check stating "payment of RE taxes only on contract #12345 as billed." I've done that a couple of years now and have heard no problems about it. Don't forget, TMC usually sends the bills out 9-10 months before they are due. I pay mine in early January of the year after I get the bill, which is the year the billing is for. Don't give them anything a minute earlier than required.

Sally W.
Nov 26, 2016

Have you ever checked with the NYC Department of Finance to see whether or not TMC has paid taxes on your behalf?

Dennis C.
Nov 27, 2016

No, I haven't checked on that. But my checks are clearly marked for payment of taxes only, and I send the checks to the address given by TMC. So if the taxes are not being paid by TMC, I have ample proof that I did what was required and that both the State of NY and I have been defrauded (yet again) by TMC. It would be on their head, not mine. Keep a copy of everything.

Sally W.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.