Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Redweek's Full-Service Timeshare Resale

Sep 12, 2011

Has anyone had any success with Redweek's Full-Service Timeshare Resale option? How is this ANY different from the other scams out there? The simple fact is I want to sell my timeshare but I don't want to mess up during the paper work. Is selling my timeshare through Redweek idiot proof? Or should I go though the Full Service option? The way I see it, it's already going to cost me $660 to sell my timeshare as is. Is the extra money really worth it?

Thank you

Erinn M.
Sep 13, 2011

erinnm3 wrote:
Has anyone had any success with Redweek's Full-Service Timeshare Resale option? How is this ANY different from the other scams out there? The simple fact is I want to sell my timeshare but I don't want to mess up during the paper work. Is selling my timeshare through Redweek idiot proof? Or should I go though the Full Service option? The way I see it, it's already going to cost me $660 to sell my timeshare as is. Is the extra money really worth it?
I don't know anything at all about the "full service resale option" to which you make reference, but I have certainly sold a number of timeshares on my own without ever even considering it (...or ever considering PAYING for it). Following are my own recommendations:

1. Advertise on RedWeek and on MyResort Network.com. Yes, each ad will cost you about $60, but the ad will be in place for many months (a full year on RedWeek). Make sure that your asking price is both realistic and competitive with any comparable weeks that you can find advertised ANYWHERE for your type week at your facility. Remember --- NO ONE CARES what YOU may have paid when YOU bought your timeshare. Buyers ONLY care about finding the best price out there in the resale market TODAY for that week.

2. If you want to "sweeten the deal" with a prospective interested buyer, you can even offer to pay the closing costs yourself as the seller. However, use ONLY a respected, long established, INDEPENDENT professional timeshare closing company to handle all of the details concerning deed preparation and recording, escrow of funds, later resort notification. These services will collectively cost you a minimum of $300. Some closing companies I have used (and would and will use again) are JRA Services, Timeshare Title, Inc., and PCS Holdings (all three are located in FL).

3. Find out in advance if your particular resort charges a "transfer fee" when an ownership change occurs. Maybe not, but maybe up to $300 or more (Celebrity a.k.a. Legacy charges $200, Wyndham charges $299, yet many smaller resorts charge no transfer fee at all). Decide in advance whether the buyer or seller will pay this fee (if any such fee applies). A "transfer fee" is, in my opinion, a nasty form of "legal larceny", charged by a resort (or resort "chain" company) just for conducting the 30 second exercise of changing owner name and address in the resort billing records. Nonetheless, larceny or not, if a "transfer fee" is imposed by the resort, then the fee is unavoidable.

In short summary, I don't know (and I frankly can't even imagine) what ANY so-called "full service timeshare resale option" can possibly do for you that you can't easily do for yourself --- every bit as well and likely at considerably lower cost too. Good luck.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Sep 13, 2011 10:02 AM

Sep 16, 2016

This is regarding a RENTAL through Redweeks full service : I'm here to let everyone know about the awful experience I am currently having with a Redweek rental. The listing states Dec 18 - Jan 1st (2 weeks) for the resort I want. I emailed asking if they can just rent out Dec 25 - Jan 1st (1 week) and keep Dec 18-25 for rent? Redweek contacted the owner and yes he would rent them out 1 week at a time. We agreed on a price and on Sept 6 I got an email from Redweeks Paula Matta saying my offer was accepted and please pay through Deposit Guard. I paid instantly on Sept 6th. Reminder - this is Christmas week so I put in the email that I would like to buy my tickets and I did everything they asked instantly to make this transaction move smoothly so I can get my Xmas tickets. Redweek sends an email to not buy tickets until you get your reservation. OK, so I pay instantly and hear nothing. I check in next day and they say it takes 2-3 days for payment to clear. I think Redweek should contact owner and let owner know to change names sometime during the next 2-3 days & have reservation all ready for the buyer when payment clears (the owner can always change the name back if payment did not clear) On Sept 8th I get an email that payment has cleared and all parties have been notified. The next day on Sept 9 I check in and I get a reply from Paula that it takes 2 - 3 days AFTER payment has cleared to get your reservation. OK, anyone who's familiar with Redweek and has booked through an owner knows that it takes a very short time to change names when you are the owner of the resort. I'm a Marriott owner and have been using Redweek booking through owners since 2008. It's a piece of cake when working directly with the owner. OK, so now it's getting close to a week since paying. Paid Sept 6th and now I check in on Sept 12 asking where is my reservation ?! I get a reply back that Paula will check on it. Remember - I still can't buy my tickets. No reply from Paula so on Sept 14th I email " Hello, is my reservation coming over?" and she replies back that the owner put the reservation under the dates Dec 18 - Jan 1st and not Dec 25th - Jan 1st. I replied to please hurry and contact owner because I need to even see if there is a true reservation ?! She never replied back to me and that was 2 days ago. TERRIBLE SERVICE & If you can book directly through an owner and use your own deposit guard I highly suggest that instead of Redweeks middleman who doesn't stay on top of things. When you call Redweek they just tell you to email them and I emailed 2 days ago to no reply back. Oh and $1000's of dollars of mine are just sitting in deposit guard and I don't even want to check flights and see if they've gone up.

Hawaii Week
Oct 19, 2016

Amazing insight and you sure know what your talking about. I have moved many properties as well and still do so currently. The information is spot on and it is definitely something that you can do yourself if your willing to spend the time and patience. The resort transfer fees are not too bad at the resorts listed above. However, they can get outrageous with some Mexico properties (which are RTU or Certificate of Ownership and not even deeded! LOL) I have seen $2500 RTF's and that just blows my mind what they try and charge.

Clement J.
Nov 07, 2016

Since I just put a week 51 Kauai timeshare for rent, I'm super-interested in the outcome of your situation. Can you keep the forum informed as it goes on? Good luck to you!

alohaa wrote:
This is regarding a RENTAL through Redweeks full service : I'm here to let everyone know about the awful experience I am currently having with a Redweek rental. The listing states Dec 18 - Jan 1st (2 weeks) for the resort I want. I emailed asking if they can just rent out Dec 25 - Jan 1st (1 week) and keep Dec 18-25 for rent? Redweek contacted the owner and yes he would rent them out 1 week at a time. We agreed on a price and on Sept 6 I got an email from Redweeks Paula Matta saying my offer was accepted and please pay through Deposit Guard. I paid instantly on Sept 6th. Reminder - this is Christmas week so I put in the email that I would like to buy my tickets and I did everything they asked instantly to make this transaction move smoothly so I can get my Xmas tickets. Redweek sends an email to not buy tickets until you get your reservation. OK, so I pay instantly and hear nothing. I check in next day and they say it takes 2-3 days for payment to clear. I think Redweek should contact owner and let owner know to change names sometime during the next 2-3 days & have reservation all ready for the buyer when payment clears (the owner can always change the name back if payment did not clear) On Sept 8th I get an email that payment has cleared and all parties have been notified. The next day on Sept 9 I check in and I get a reply from Paula that it takes 2 - 3 days AFTER payment has cleared to get your reservation. OK, anyone who's familiar with Redweek and has booked through an owner knows that it takes a very short time to change names when you are the owner of the resort. I'm a Marriott owner and have been using Redweek booking through owners since 2008. It's a piece of cake when working directly with the owner. OK, so now it's getting close to a week since paying. Paid Sept 6th and now I check in on Sept 12 asking where is my reservation ?! I get a reply back that Paula will check on it. Remember - I still can't buy my tickets. No reply from Paula so on Sept 14th I email " Hello, is my reservation coming over?" and she replies back that the owner put the reservation under the dates Dec 18 - Jan 1st and not Dec 25th - Jan 1st. I replied to please hurry and contact owner because I need to even see if there is a true reservation ?! She never replied back to me and that was 2 days ago. TERRIBLE SERVICE & If you can book directly through an owner and use your own deposit guard I highly suggest that instead of Redweeks middleman who doesn't stay on top of things. When you call Redweek they just tell you to email them and I emailed 2 days ago to no reply back. Oh and $1000's of dollars of mine are just sitting in deposit guard and I don't even want to check flights and see if they've gone up.

Janet W.
Nov 11, 2016

I have one on here too for PV week 51. Thank you for the heads up. I am not having the best service 😐. They dont listen well. Im with Villa Del Palmar. Dec 24 thru Dec 31th 2016. They have price and dates wrong. Dang.

erinnm3 wrote:

Thank you

TreSina S.
Nov 11, 2016

I just want to give it away and no drama.

TreSina S.
Dec 14, 2016

Same thing is happening currently to me!!! What ultimately happened??? I'm very afraid my xmas vacation will be ruined!!!

Fred G.
Dec 14, 2016

I would suggest to rent it yourself and use Depositguard . Depositguard is really great but no need for the full service rental because you can do it yourself. Good Luck.

Hawaii Week

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.