Tahiti Village

Changing from weeks to points?

Nov 15, 2011

attended owners meeting last week while visiting, they want me to pay 2900.00 to change my one week 2 br, in a point system with RCI. Anyone else heard anything, would it cost to change to points?

Leslie
Oct 08, 2013

In April 2012 we visited Las Vegas and attended a owners meeting at Tahiti Village. We already owned a Moorea and after the presentation were quite excited about the opportunity to buy up to a Royal Tahitian (hadn't previously bought due to cost) and go on to the RCI points program. After all with over 4500 resorts to choose from how could we loose? I should mention that until this point we exchanged thru Interval International. We travel to Vegas at least once a year for a week and most years will travel 2 times. We always like to stay in a different resort - Well imagine our surprise when we tried to get into a Wyndam resort in Vegas and were told that we couldn't due to Somerpointe having an agreement with RCI to limit their owners to only using one of the 3 Home resorts in Vegas (Tahiti, Tahiti Village or Club du Soleil). I have been trying to get out of the RCI membership since April 2013 and have been told that I will not only loose all the points that have accumulated, the 1 week that we booked in Florida for March of 2014 will be lost with no refund.

Before you change from weeks with Interval to points with RCI, be sure to check the fees related to the exchange - more than Interval and almost all of the resorts will charge you a housekeeping fee as well.

Cindy W.
Apr 01, 2014

We owned a week in the Royal Tahitian & a week in the Moorea. I believe it was 2012 that we upgraded from weeks to points through RCI.

I also was surprised that in order to trade into a location other than TV; we had to pay an exchange fee.

However, we have been able to make reservations using our points for different locations. We did trade into the Wyndham Resort in Cabo San Lucas. This year, we are using our points to secure 1 week in Puerto Vallarta & 2 weeks in Cabo San Lucas. We still have points left over to either carry over or stay at TV.

I think once you get used to how the points work; it's amazing how many vacations you can take within a year if you have the time.

cindyw358 wrote:
In April 2012 we visited Las Vegas and attended a owners meeting at Tahiti Village. We already owned a Moorea and after the presentation were quite excited about the opportunity to buy up to a Royal Tahitian (hadn't previously bought due to cost) and go on to the RCI points program. After all with over 4500 resorts to choose from how could we loose? I should mention that until this point we exchanged thru Interval International. We travel to Vegas at least once a year for a week and most years will travel 2 times. We always like to stay in a different resort - Well imagine our surprise when we tried to get into a Wyndam resort in Vegas and were told that we couldn't due to Somerpointe having an agreement with RCI to limit their owners to only using one of the 3 Home resorts in Vegas (Tahiti, Tahiti Village or Club du Soleil). I have been trying to get out of the RCI membership since April 2013 and have been told that I will not only loose all the points that have accumulated, the 1 week that we booked in Florida for March of 2014 will be lost with no refund.

Before you change from weeks with Interval to points with RCI, be sure to check the fees related to the exchange - more than Interval and almost all of the resorts will charge you a housekeeping fee as well.

John B. & Mary Ellen D.
Nov 06, 2016

Don't do it if you have a prime place like Las Vegas or Hawaii! You have a fixed week which is more valuable and guarantees you can come back to that timeshare. Switching to points will reduce your chances of getting back to Hawaii or some other high tourism location.

I have two timeshares in Hawaii- one point and one fixed week every other year. I havent been able to get back to Hawaii using my points.

Heather R.

Last edited by heatherr304 on Nov 06, 2016 10:11 AM

Jul 14, 2018

Don't do it. Its only select vegas resorts I find that seems to be trying that tactic and using excuses to get you to change. Like weeks will no longer be or its better. Its all to entice you on flexibility of shorter trips and get more but you don't. My week is worth more then switching to points. I have more access to places then they say you do with weeks. I would have to pay triple to switch to points then I originally paid for my week and get less. Wouldnt even be able to have enough points to stay at resort was at or most places.

If you like weeks stay with weeks. My 1 week can get me up to 4 or 5 weeks in a year cause its value but in points I would be lucky to do 1 week a year and only at certain times and few resorts. If points something would like then find a low cost small option and have both.

Tcb D.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.