Timeshare Companies

Diamond Resorts raises maintenance fees again!

Jun 22, 2015

Omg. I'm so frustrated with DRI. I was a formal member of Epic time share and DRI bought them out in 2000. I'm in a situation that I didn't sign up for. Every since I have been a member with DRI there maintaince fees have went up from $600.00 to $1,289 within 6 years. Beside the fact Im force to pay these dues they never have any properties avaliable to use. It a total waist of money. I Been trying to get out of this. Can someone please help. This was not in my Epic agreement.

Virginia Residence

Vallory

Vallory W.

Last edited by valloryw on Jun 22, 2015 10:51 AM

Dec 06, 2015

Well, Diamond resorts raised the maintenance fee again, this year by 5.5%. That is well above the cost of living increase! In contract, my other timeshare, which is comparable, is about one-third the cost for the maintenance fee, and they increased the fee by less than one percent. they also provide a newsletter that clearly explains the budget, what they are maintaining and what is going on. You have to dig to get any meaningful information out of DRI.

Sorry I ever got involved with Diamond Resorts International. It's a losing proposition.

Robert R.
Dec 25, 2015

What if you just walk away from diamond what do they do

Michael K.
Dec 25, 2015

Contact Diamond Resorts and ask them if they will take your timeshare back. Make sure you get in touch with someone that handles those matters. You will have to be current with all your fees and assessments if they agree. You may also have to pay the next years maintenance fees but that's a small price to pay to get out of your contract. I got rid of two timeshares in 2011 through deed backs and it's a huge relief. A few phone calls will pay dividends if they agree. I made it a priority to get rid of them and I devoted all my efforts and it was well worth it. If you have any success please post the results back in here for others to see. Good luck.

Don P.
Dec 25, 2015

I owned Vacation Village I think this was there first increase in three years. Went from 797.00 to 836.00 I think that's a 4.7 % increased if my math is right.

Joseph F.

Last edited by josephf238 on Dec 25, 2015 11:02 PM

Dec 26, 2015

Charles 345 is a Diamond plant to counter the negatives that Members post here on a regular basis... The maintenance fee's when we dumped our Diamond membership at the "Point of Poipu" 4-5 years ago was $ 300 per night, annual fee's were $ 4,300 for our 31,000 points that equated to 14 nights in an Oceanfront unit... Not to mention the $ 54,000 cash that we paid for the membership, equal to 10 years renting a 2 bedroom Condo for a month near by, not including any annual fee's... "In my opinion" Diamond Resorts is a huge ripoff, the DRI management to me is an ongoing criminal fraud enterprise, selling points is akin to selling you air... Charles you are a fraud, of course that is just my opinion, but when it quacks like a Duck, it is usually a DUCK...

Michael D.
Dec 27, 2015

michaeld414 wrote:
Charles 345 is a Diamond plant to counter the negatives that Members post here on a regular basis... The maintenance fee's when we dumped our Diamond membership at the "Point of Poipu" 4-5 years ago was $ 300 per night, annual fee's were $ 4,300 for our 31,000 points that equated to 14 nights in an Oceanfront unit... Not to mention the $ 54,000 cash that we paid for the membership, equal to 10 years renting a 2 bedroom Condo for a month near by, not including any annual fee's... "In my opinion" Diamond Resorts is a huge ripoff, the DRI management to me is an ongoing criminal fraud enterprise, selling points is akin to selling you air... Charles you are a fraud, of course that is just my opinion, but when it quacks like a Duck, it is usually a DUCK...

Well, michaeld414, it's a shame that you still after a year feel that I am some sort of fraud and not an owner like you were. I again invite you to our Facebook page ( Diamond Resorts International Members) and you will see that I am by far some fraud. You can read several of my posts that I share with other owners where we have our faces and names. Like all timeshares, there are pluses and minuses. I own a timeshare with DRI and Marriott. They both have owners who are happy and unhappy. They have both had lawsuits filed against them and mostly because of membership lack of information which I must say that timeshare developers like to limit. Nonetheless, it's possible to get great vacations with your memberships. I do agree that the costs are getting to the point where one has to question their sustainability. However, many are still able to get good value from their ownership. I can stay for a few months depending on where I go and when I go on vacation. For what I pay in maintenance fees, I still do better than a hotel room. I can vacation or visit relatives fairly easily as I usually plan my vacations well in advance. In fact last July I had a great time at The Point in Kauai which is one of my favorites. Since you've made the choice to dissolve your membership which is fine, there may be others who are trying to do the same as you or even others who want to try and make the best of the ownership. I know from the Facebook site that there are several other owners who enjoy their membership and know the rules and share the rules. We may not all like DRI's fees and constant benefit changes, but we still enjoy the accommodations at many of the resorts and we are still able to have fun on our vacation.

Charles S.
Jul 01, 2016

I strongly agree. I have heard close to50% of owners are just not paying maintenance fees. If anyone knows of a class action lawsuit or is interested pursuing one please let me know.

Michelle R.
Nov 16, 2016

Is there a class action lawsuit yet that we can join? We purchased in Williamsburg at Greensprings when it was owned by Sunterra I believe (actually maybe the previous owner) - our maintenance fees are through the roof thanks to DRI.

Mary L.
Nov 17, 2016

There is a class action being looked into, but the information is not yet public. To receive updates join this Facebook page consisting of almost 7000 members concerned with Diamond's rising maintenance fees. The administrator posted a document he suggested I write on how to file a complaint with a government agency. As many of the members are from Europe and suffered a 13% hike in maintenance fees, they are especially concerned with this issue.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/diamondresortsmembers/

Irene P.
Nov 17, 2016

I just got my maintenance fee bill for 2017 and it is rising another 4.5%, more than twice the rate of inflation. I have another timeshare in Mexico that i have had much longer than the Diamond property and they are comparable. My DRI MF is approaching three times as much as the property in Mexico. It's just not worth it any more.

Robert R.
Sep 25, 2018

I to have a lockout unit bought in 1985 I am considered a charter member. Do you still need info on maintenance fee corruption

Maureen O.
Oct 10, 2018

I was ready to this former post did you still owned the property? I had a similar experience!

Vanessa R.
Oct 10, 2018

Are you still trying to get lockout ?

Vanessa R.
Nov 13, 2020

I'm out of Diamond now and I always look forward to the maintenance fee bill from my remaining timeshare in Mexico. It is under $500 again and did not go up at all! That's for one week a year in a one-bedroom, more or less depending on the season.

Robert R.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.