Timeshare Companies

Marriott Trying to "Squeeze" out Timeshare "Week" Owners?

Jan 11, 2012

After having received my annual assessment for this year, I am somewhat peeved as I look at the overall assessment increase has been in the last 5 years. By my calculations, our annual assessment has gone up a total of 58% in the last 5 years. While I think Marriott's maui timeshare resort is in great shape (grounds, facilities, etc.), I'm not sure it's very competitive to the rest of the area anymore.

As I ponder the increases, I can't help but remember that Marriott is now selling "points" vs. outright weeks (as we purchased 2 weeks via the resale market years ago). SInce Marriott can't be happy for all of those owners that have held on to their "weeks", does anyone think these HIGH annual assessment rates are a means for Marriott to try and convert weekly owners to the point system?

David R.
Jan 11, 2012

As far as I'm concerned it's corporate greed. The point system is designed to bilk more money out of people and the increasing maintenance fees are normal now in the greed driven timeshare industry. This is why I got rid of two timeshares this year. Why own when I can go on this site or another and rent one for less than they owner is paying in maintenance fees. Don't get caught up in the point conversion. You will regret it down the road.

Don P.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.