Timeshare Companies

Open Letter to Steve Cloobeck, Diamond Resorts International CEO

Feb 07, 2014

My husband and I bought into Diamond Resorts while vacationing with our children in Sedona, Arizona. Unfortunately that is where it ended. The only vacation with Diamond that was worth the time and travel was when our daughter and myself were able to go to Hawaii, but then again how can you mess up Hawaii. We have a very sick child and unfortunately the money that we are spending on this timeshare could be spent getting the help he desperately needs. I would love to know if anyone has any ideas of how to sell or a Diamond buyback. We are will to lose money on the sale as long as we can free up the money every month for medical bills we have to pay for. I am praying someone has ideas on this site. Thank you for any help. Gena

Gena B.
Feb 07, 2014

Contact your home resort and explain your situation to them and ask them to take it back through a deed back. They may be sympathetic to your case and take it back. Good luck.

Don P.
Feb 07, 2014

Also, watch out for many unscrupulous companies and scams that prey on people in situations like yours.

You might start getting phone calls and e-mails promising you a quick sale of your timeshare for more money than you could imagine. They will subtly ask you for some sort of an upfront fee, then they will make off with your money and you will still own your timeshare.

Follow Don's suggestion above and also try listing it for sale/giveaway here in RedWeek's want ads (but not the forums).

Lance C.
Feb 12, 2014

In my opinion He acted like a great boss. I've always dreamt about working at the front desk. I'm a widowed. Husband past away from brain cancer, sick for only two months. have three kids one with Autism. I work 6 days a week on a full time job and also have a part time job. If the president of the company where I work said at least thanks or good morning I would appreciated. I would probably never have a time share, so I won't give my opinion about it. But as a non appreciated employee.. I say, I was overwhelmed watching the show felt so happy for the employees he had the chance to help during that show. One person can't change the world, but yes the diamond resort CEO, changed their lives forever.

Laura M.
Feb 12, 2014

The stuff they put on TV and what happens in real life are two different things! Hopefully you get the appreciation you deserve for working 6 days and what you have gone through and are going to go through for the rest of your life! Hopefully your other children are at an age to help, or have family nearby!

If you only knew how the owners of the timeshares that spend thousands of dollars to purchase and thousands more in ever growing assessments and maintenance fees get treated, you may have a different opinion of the top guy!

lauram722 wrote:
In my opinion He acted like a great boss. I've always dreamt about working at the front desk. I'm a widowed. Husband past away from brain cancer, sick for only two months. have three kids one with Autism. I work 6 days a week on a full time job and also have a part time job. If the president of the company where I work said at least thanks or good morning I would appreciated. I would probably never have a time share, so I won't give my opinion about it. But as a non appreciated employee.. I say, I was overwhelmed watching the show felt so happy for the employees he had the chance to help during that show. One person can't change the world, but yes the diamond resort CEO, changed their lives forever.

C S.
Feb 13, 2014

It's cheap to get up on TV and act like you care about your employees when you are making money hand over fist by using misleading sales info and high pressure tactics to trap your customers in in sketchy contracts.

lauram722 wrote:

David K.
Feb 15, 2014

Diamond sales people in Palm Desert are saying that Diamond is about to buy Marriott. No one can back this up but it should be investigated by all of the public companies involved and regulatory agencies that would care. Sales people say CLOOBECK is the person leaking the information.

Is this insider trading?

Jeffrey W.
Feb 16, 2014

I don't think that DRI is buying Marriott. In fact, Marriott Vacation Club has spun off from the parent company and is doing very, very well. I would just ignore any salesman that spouts off such nonsense.

Charles S.
Feb 18, 2014

I'm a new owner, 1 year and after doing the math I don't consider Diamond a good option for me. After 10K and this years dues for 350 pts of 1K. I'm looking for some current options to opt out. Do we have a process in place. I'd settle for a direction to go in and work it as I go. How do I start? I spotted the 75 years and above. I joined solo, but travel with my older aunt. Can I use that as a just reason? help with current 'helpful' info please.

charless345 wrote:
I don't think that DRI is buying Marriott. In fact, Marriott Vacation Club has spun off from the parent company and is doing very, very well. I would just ignore any salesman that spouts off such nonsense.

Cjstuck D.
Feb 24, 2014

Hello: I received a "Maintenance" bill for $ 1,800+ in the mail for a timeshare I listed on bankruptcy documents almost 5 years ago, from Diamond Resorts, International.

You mentioned some sort of lawsuit against Diamond Resorts International in your postings. May I please get some information about this?

Thank You

Ron Harris

davidl712 wrote:
Here is the announcement for which we have all been waiting! The lawsuit has been filed! It was filed Friday in Federal District Court in Hawaii. COPP will be mailing out a note with the lawsuit attached. It will also be going up on our website. I think that we will have DRI's attention now! What did Mr. C say? Yes, that's right, there are "10" unhappy customers. We'll see

Ron H.
Feb 25, 2014

ronh324 wrote:
Hello: I received a "Maintenance" bill for $ 1,800+ in the mail for a timeshare I listed on bankruptcy documents almost 5 years ago, from Diamond Resorts, International.

I would contact the bankruptcy lawyer who handled you case and ask him/her what happened to the timeshare. It's possible that it never sold and that you are still the legal owner.

Lance C.
May 13, 2014

I look for oportunidade to talk to Mr steve cloobeck, I know his is real state business man and I real like to talk to him about buy houses to fix and sale " flip " in Louisiana area. Please if u can let me know how can talk to him.

Idalecio A.
May 13, 2014

idalecioa wrote:
I look for oportunidade to talk to Mr steve cloobeck, I know his is real state business man and I real like to talk to him about buy houses to fix and sale " flip " in Louisiana area. Please if u can let me know how can talk to him.

Go to any one of his properties and his people will be very happy to speak with you, for many hours. Maybe they can even arrange to speak to the man himself, but I doubt it.

Robert R.
May 13, 2014

Cloobeck is no longer CEO of DRI since Jan 1, 2014, but is the Chairman.

David Palmer former CFO is now the CEO of the company, since it would be a conflict of interest for Cloobeck since the company went public (stock).

Search Diamond Resorts International in YAHOO Finance. There is a financial article from today, and I'm sure you can find more info in past articles since Jan 1, 2014.

I do not know if this change of leadership will have any affect on how the members that want to rescind their contracts will be treated.

C S.
May 31, 2014

Hi Bob. I'm incredibly angry about the fees too. I also bought through ILX. The fees with them were reasonable, IMO, but once DRI took over the fees just skyrocketed for supposed "upgrades" & they continue to go up. I started a Facebook page for anyone else that feels they've been scammed by DRI. https://www.facebook.com/angryaboutdiamondresorts Come like my page & let's get together & organize. Let's do something about DRI & the crooks they call management.

Andrea H.
May 31, 2014

Clearly you work for DRI and are unethical like everyone else over there...liars , liars and more liars. I would not want anything to do with DRI if they offered me the penthouse, oceanview in Maui for FREE!!! Lucky for me I went to their presentation and saw through their lies,..... STAY AWAY EVERYONE!!!!

Pina S.
May 31, 2014

Try selling on www.myresortnetwork.com U wish you all the best..... wish i was in a financial situation to help.

Pina S.
May 31, 2014

Hi Gina,

You can list your timeshare yourself on Ebay. Use an escrow company to handle the money, but you can obtain the sale contracts yourself from Diamond, list the unit for sale, and get the timeshare off your plate. I have purchased a handful of timeshares on Ebay from people that didn't want them anymore... buyers are there - you just have to get your timeshare in front of them.

Robert S.
May 31, 2014

It was indicated there are 10 unhappy customers. I have no doubt this totals in the hundred, if not in the thousands. We should all join in a class action law suit.

Robert

Robert D.
Jun 01, 2014

andreah255 wrote:
Hi Bob. I'm incredibly angry about the fees too. I also bought through ILX. The fees with them were reasonable, IMO, but once DRI took over the fees just skyrocketed for supposed "upgrades" & they continue to go up. I started a Facebook page for anyone else that feels they've been scammed by DRI. https://www.facebook.com/angryaboutdiamondresorts Come like my page & let's get together & organize. Let's do something about DRI & the crooks they call management.

Gina,

You can still use your timeshare as you always have. Yes, no one like the increased maintenance fees. I know I did not when DRI took over. However, I love going to my resorts now and they have been fixed up where I was beginning to be embarrassed when I was inviting friends and the resorts were showing signs of wear and tear and there was no fix in sight. ILX may have been charging you less, but that might be the reason for their bankruptcy. I would go to Timeshare Users Group (tug2.net) and get a feel what other timeshare companies charge in maintenance fees. I have been to the ILX resorts near me in Capistrano Beach and they are nice but need some TLC. There is a facebook page on nearly 2000 DRI owners. Many of us like DRI but there are issues that we don't like that we call to DRI to task on as well. There are owners from all over the world. We are called Diamond Resorts Members on Facebook.

Charles S.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.