Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Buying Marriott Destinations points

Sep 03, 2017

There are a lot of smart people on here, so I hope they can provide advice to one not so smart. We own in Aruba and have 2500 DC points. Yearly that comes to 8650 DC points and Executive status. We are considering buying enough points to put us at Presidential. Questions are 1) Is that worth doing? 2) What is the best way to do so?

I have been dealing with a very nice salesperson at MVC who was offering bundled weeks (Weeks, Rewards points and Destination Club points) at $13K which would yield 55,000 MR points and 2000 DC points, annually. It was a less desirable week but if we use it solely for DC purposes should that matter?

If one buys from Marriott Resales, one has to buy a separate package of DC points equal to the amount assigned to that week. I really don't want to pay $13 or $14 a point if there is a sure fire way to do so for less. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Bodie
Sep 03, 2017

I do not recommend buying anything from Marriott-I believe the 2 happiest days of a timeshare owner are the day they buy it and the day they sell it-

This is a depreciating asset with an escalating cost of maintenance-

My opinion

Michael F.
Sep 05, 2017

We are at the Chairman level and own both points and weeks. My suggestion - Rent what you want thru Redweek (never own). This will preserve your cash, avoid the forever commitment to timeshares (needs do change), and be the lowest cost alternative with the most flexibility.

Incidentally, this also addresses one of the most common complaints which is that you cannot get the reservation you want. Please take a look at what you can rent on Redweek and at the prices (negotiable). If money matters, renting is the low cost alternative.

If you are still considering a purchase, just acknowledge that your upfront investment will be "eaten up" by marketing and sales costs when you close. Your upfront investment goes to zero or near zero and you are left with a lifetime commitment to maintenance fees.

Of course Marriott sales personnel are always nice but they are "sales people." The "niceness" will remain after the sale but there is no ongoing service or assistance.

Den

Last edited by dennish144 on Sep 05, 2017 06:01 AM

Sep 05, 2017

Thank you for the advice.

Bodie
Oct 01, 2017

You can buy on the aftermarket from non Marriott sources for vastly less. The tone in this forum is very negative, other forums on the web are mostly comprised of happy owners. But I do agree with the others, do not buy direct from Marriott! And that's from me, a guy who loves his ownership of close to 20 years. In those 20 years, I have *never* been unable to go somewhere I have wanted to. I guess it all depends how you work the system.

Just got back from Williamsburg, it was a very nice 2 week stay. Will be going back next September I think. Highly recommend this location if you like history.

Now time to plan the trip to Playa Andaluza, see when I might be able to go.

Steve F.

Last edited by stevef280 on Oct 01, 2017 03:02 PM

Oct 02, 2017

Thank you for your response. Advice taken. I was just wondering how to get to President level without spending too much. Think I will forego that idea. Agreed there are a lot of negative posts. We bought in 2004 and have been very pleased (except when Maintenance Fees come due). We never have any trouble getting what we want. But, as empty nesters, we aren't consigned to specific times. Went to Williamsburg many years ago and really enjoyed it. Hope you like Andaluza. We didn't own MVC back then but it was a great trip.

Bodie
Oct 02, 2017

Yeah, I just did the *very* cheap third party purchase to get me to executive level. The 25% discount within 30 days is what we will be taking advantage of starting next year. Like you, we have complete freedom as to times. tugbbs has way more happy owners.

The complaints from others about maint. fee solely on the fact that they have gone up is a strange one. Of course they went up, that is not a surprise. It's only a valid complaint when the particular resort being paid for (if legacy) is going up more than other prices. You think a hotel room costs the same today as say in 2007? Of course not. If maint fees go up more than hotel rates, sure. The average US hotel price has gone up 25% since 2011 (through 2016), that's average prices at all hotels, even the cheapies you would never stay in. So, if you take a better place, say the Polynesian at Disney, you will find the last 10 years have seen an 88% increase on the room rates. My maint fee is $1313 and was $1016 in 2011, this is 29%. Mind you, for a place with way more stuff on site than any hotel, pretty much close to the average hotel increase. So, yes, maintenance fees go up, and, hotels go up. Not surprising. If they go up far faster than that at your resort, then sure, you have a complaint.

Points were .437 in 2012, .527 in 2016. That's 20%, but, one less year.

The best way to get up in the level is to buy on the aftermarket if that is your goal.

Steve F.
Apr 17, 2018

Hello. I am looking to buy a resale time share. We love to travel with our 2 kids and like to go to many different locations. I would like to purchase something inexpensive with low maintenance fees that I can switch destinations yearly. Any recommendations??

Erika R.
Jul 05, 2018

Hi Stevef280,

When you say "buy on the aftermarket", are you saying to buy a resale from another owner?

Will Marriott recognize that week in their system, or do you have to pay Marriott since you bought from someone other than them?

Thank you for your assistance.

Allen W.
Jul 06, 2018

I would always recommend buying on the resale market.

If you want to travel worldwide, why Marriott? There are many timeshares that you can use to travel to different destinations other than Marriott.

Also, I would advise to stay away from any points program. As a 15 year timeshare veteran as a sales and marketing professional, I would never advise anyone to purchase points for three reasons.

1. There are no additional guarantees compared to other programs, except flexibility, but you will pay fees.

2. The points inflate. Therefore, you will always have to continue purchasing points in order to use new resorts. Unless it is written in the contract, because new resorts typically require more points.

3. You lose control of what you own. A deeded week is the best and you can still travel worldwide.

If that is their policy, why buy from them when you have so much to choose from? I have stayed at Marriott's as a timeshare owner and I do not own at Marriott. If Marriott charges for the transfer, the current owner should be willing to pay. Otherwise, use Redweek's resale site and purchase something from them. They've got great prices.

Wayne C.

Last edited by redweek_support on Jul 09, 2018 01:37 PM

Feb 24, 2019

Hello Rick. We’ve been an owner for 10 yrs now and I’m still learning.

Every other year we either go to Florida ( Marco island) or Hilton Head.

We own a 3 bedroom week in Orlando. We have. No interest of going back there.

Question. Can we straight up switch with an owner—— our three-bedroom Orlando for there three bedroom in Hilton head? Let’s say the Hilton head owners have young children and Orlando would be a better homebase and our children are older with no needs to going to Disney. Goof/bad Idea.

If you have any free time I would love to chat with you either text or phone call or email .

Ty

Dan Parpan Lake Villa IL. 847.331.2263

Dannyparos@comcast.net

Dan P.
Feb 24, 2019

dan1202 wrote:
Hello Rick. We’ve been an owner for 10 yrs now and I’m still learning.

Every other year we either go to Florida ( Marco island) or Hilton Head.

We own a 3 bedroom week in Orlando. We have. No interest of going back there.

Question. Can we straight up switch with an owner—— our three-bedroom Orlando for there three bedroom in Hilton head? Let’s say the Hilton head owners have young children and Orlando would be a better homebase and our children are older with no needs to going to Disney. Goof/bad Idea.

If you have any free time I would love to chat with you either text or phone call or email .

Ty

Dan Parpan Lake Villa IL. 847.331.2263

Dannyparos@comcast.net

Dan,

The answer to your question is yes, but you would need to start that search a year in advance to make the reservations and all. Secondly, tug2.net is a much better resource for learning and getting questions answered than Redweek. There is a specific Marriott timeshare section that would be of great value to you.

Charles S.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.