Sunset Harbor

Is Sunset Harbor a scam?

Dec 31, 2012

We purchased a timeshare in Feburary, 2012, paid our dues to be a member of PRL and paid our 2012 maintenance fee for Sunset Harbor- we have not yet received a deed but did receive a request for the 2013 maintenance fees - we were to receive payment from PRL - never happened. Have made SEVERAL calls to Sunset Harbour with no results. Is the next step legal action?

Mari R.
Mar 16, 2013

marir3: Yes, it's a scam. Here's a link to 37 pages of discussion about it on this forum. http://www.redweek.com/forums/messages?thread_id=18198&page=last&utm_source=forum-alert&utm_medium=email&utm_content=topic

marir3 wrote:
We purchased a timeshare in Feburary, 2012, paid our dues to be a member of PRL and paid our 2012 maintenance fee for Sunset Harbor- we have not yet received a deed but did receive a request for the 2013 maintenance fees - we were to receive payment from PRL - never happened. Have made SEVERAL calls to Sunset Harbour with no results. Is the next step legal action?

Tina K.
Mar 16, 2013

If that link doesn't work, go to redweek.com forums, under "General Discussions" search "Point Rental Liquidators"

marir3 wrote:

Tina K.
Sep 05, 2013

Did either of you take legal action? I am trying to help my parents and have contacted sunset harbor who claims they were scammed too and will only take back the deed and give them no money in return. I contacted AG office about PRL and filed with the credit card but it has been too long. I would like to recover at least some of their money so I am considering legal action. Just wondering if either of you did. Thanks!

Cathy M.
Sep 07, 2013

Cathy, How long ago was the initial purchase charged to the credit card? After realizing my elderly parents had been scammed, I've pursued "billing dispute" and "fraudulent charge" through their Bank of America credit card with limited success. I firmly believe Sunset Harbor Resorts was fully aware of the lies their brokers were telling people to trick them into signing the contracts (called Material Misrepresentation). There's no other reason anyone in their right mind would have bought into those crappy condos. You can read the reviews about the place on RCI.com. The other thread on Redweek that I had mentioned is now up to 71 pages long. My parents haven't pursued legal action yet. We are in Louisiana. What state are your parents in? The La. AG has not been helpful. They say contact TX AG, who tells you to contact TX Real Estate Commission, who tells you to report the scam to Federal Trade Commission.

Tina K.
Sep 08, 2013

It has been over a year that they were conned into this! I just found out a few months ago and have been trying to help. My dad just kept thinking they were people of their word and were going to come through. Then he realized it wasn't going to happen and tried to sell it on one of those other scammer sites! He just really needs to get out of it! I agree about sunset harbor - I tried to talk with them to no avail! They said the best they could do would be take back the deed! It just makes me mad they get $10000 and can give them nothing back for giving them the deed! What a racket! I am honking about legal intervention to try and recoup some of their money just trying to find the right avenue! BOA would do nothing since it was so long ago! The Tennessee AG has done nothing either! I haven't called the FTC but will! How sad that their are people out there like this! Just curious on other avenues people have taken because surely someone has gotten some money back! Thanks for your reply!

Cathy M.
Sep 09, 2013

Cathy, If you have the time for more phone calls <sigh> I would continue to harass BOA. Tell them that your parents are THEIR customer & they should be trying to help them instead of siding with the merchant. If your parents never received a deed, file a complaint at BOA for failure to receive merchandise that you paid for. Tell them that this is a well-known, well documented scam & that BOA is fully aware of it and they continue to allow these scammers to open new credit card accounts for more and more victims instead of cutting them off and helping put a stop to it. (Beware of posting anything here that you wouldn't want Sunset Harbor Resorts or Point Rental Liquidators people to read, just in case they're lurking) You can access the Montgomery County TX Clerk of Court records online to search for your parents' names to see if a deed was ever recorded.

Tina K.
Jan 24, 2017

Did anyone find a way o get money back? Any lawsuits? We have not received our maintenance bill for 2017. Did anyone get a bill?

Deb G.
Jan 24, 2017

It looks like RCI finally took Sunset Harbor Resort out of their inventory! From these 2016 updated reviews, it sounds like the place is literally falling apart. If they're collecting money for maintenance dues, it sure doesn't sound like they're spending it on maintenance! https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g56895-d779169-Reviews-Sunset_Harbor_Resort-Willis_Texas.html

Tina K.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.