Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

First time renter in need of good advice - how to verify who I am renting from

Apr 01, 2013

I am trying to rent for the first time. I am trying to rent at Bonnet Creek. I have sent and received emails with quotes for renting a week in July at Bonnet Creek, but now I am starting to worry now.

Has anyone rented from or heard anything about the following that have ads on Redweek or Tug2.net or My Resort Network. Some have ads on all 3 sites.

Terry Faust Roger Winn Barry Skolky Kevin Wiseman Patrick McLaughlin - owner's name: Thomas McLauglin Julie Schroyer

Thank you for any advice or knowledge that you have about the above list.

Connie S.
Apr 01, 2013

I don't think is a good idea. Timeshares can be good for big families who are used to travel regularly to a same location and fully understand how timeshares work, but definitely not for people who enjoy traveling spontaneously and without restrictions. What if you’re trapped in a timeshare you do not want? There are a number of solutions regarding unwanted timeshares, but most of them are not viable. The most effective solution to get rid of a timeshare is by cancelling the original contract. Timeshare cancellation is an efficient alternative, since the owner will be able to cut all the strings attached to the resort.

Kelsey F.

Last edited by phyl21 on Apr 01, 2013 07:26 PM

Apr 01, 2013

Thank you for the advice, but I was trying to find out if anyone has rented a week at a timeshare from the names listed.

I am trying to rent a week at Bonnet Creek from an owner.

Connie S.
Apr 02, 2013

I have no idea what the previous post was about since the original poster was seeking advice on renting a timeshare.

You need to have a rental agreement in place signed by both you and the owner .... you can 'search forums' for sample rental agreements.

R P.
Jun 05, 2013

I rented a few days at Wyndam in Tennessee from a Thomas McLaughlin. It was a couple of years ago. No Problems. Seemed quite honest. Good Experience. I do not know if this is same person but I assume it is.

Carol K.
Jun 05, 2013

Thank you for your response to my question.

Since I posted that question in April, I have found an owner that I am renting from. I was going to rent from Thomas McLaughlin seemed very helpful, but he didn't have the dates that I needed available.

I am also trying to get information on a Sovereign Vacation World. Someone from Redweek that I requested a quote from for BC, gave them my email address. The person I requested a quote from who had a posting listed, is a broker who suggested that I call her friend and also gave them my number to get in touch with me.

I am curious about this company because I can't really find too much information on Sovereign World Vacations on the internet. I have posted a question about them on Tug, Redweek and the Disboards, and I haven't received one response that someone has rented from them.

Sovereign World is a Florida based company and even doing a search of businesses in Florida, I can't find that much info. They aren't listed with the BBB.

Connie S.
Jun 05, 2013

Be careful there are some Travel Agencies in Florida that are scam artists constantly changing their names. I had a bad experience that only got resolved via my credit card company getting my money back. It took a couple of months to get the credit back. We were stuck in Orlando with no reservations and a handicapped person who needed special accomodations. The resort that we thought we were booked shifted stuff to get us in a nice room at a reasonable price that met his needs. There are good people out there amongst the bad.

Carol K.
Oct 21, 2013

I had a week set up with Patrick McLaughlin (Thomas, owner). He was very helpful and incredibly nice. Our family then changed our plans to stay on-site at Disney when the free dining promotion came out. Patrick was incredibly understanding and accommodating. We are still considering renting from him for a future trip and will have no qualms doing so.

Stephanie B.
Oct 21, 2013

I have rented from Thomas McLaughlin. It was Wyndam in Smoky Mountains. Good Experience.

Carol K.
Mar 07, 2014

In response to the message below, we have just had a terrible interaction with Barry Skolky. We had a signed contract, forwarded full payment for a Presidential Reserve Unit in San Francisco, which when he said it was ours, we believed. We are traveling in one month across the country (6 people) and it was by happenstance that I've learned that this unit is not ours. I was simply writing to check in to confirm he had received full payment (well within his deadline). I hadn't heard from him, so felt I would email. He tells me that he's refunded all of our money (sent two days ago)-- we'll see. He needs to be reported. I should have believed all of the negative reviews about him. DO NOT rent from this person. *****************************************************

connies263 wrote:
I am trying to rent for the first time. I am trying to rent at Bonnet Creek. I have sent and received emails with quotes for renting a week in July at Bonnet Creek, but now I am starting to worry now.

Has anyone rented from or heard anything about the following that have ads on Redweek or Tug2.net or My Resort Network. Some have ads on all 3 sites.

Terry Faust Roger Winn Barry Skolky Kevin Wiseman Patrick McLaughlin - owner's name: Thomas McLauglin Julie Schroyer

Meg U.
Mar 08, 2014

deleted by jayjay

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Mar 08, 2014 08:28 AM

May 15, 2014

I am also looking to rent from Kevin wiseman. Did you get any feedback about him?

connies263 wrote:

Christy F.
May 25, 2014

I am trying to rent from Bill Maund. At oak and spruce resort in Berkshires. Has anyone dealt with this gentleman and if so how was your experience? Thank you for any feedback. Elyse H

Elyse H.
May 25, 2014

If it was a Redweek ad it should be ok ... just make sure an agreement is in place signed by both you and him.

R P.
May 25, 2014

Thank you

Elyse H.
Jun 10, 2014

cant the renters get review marks, similar to ebay sellers to help with this (how many times they have rented and satisfied or not by the buyer)? i am wondering how currently we are to know this Barry Skolky and others are not ethical, even if they are selling on this site?

Chris K.
Jun 11, 2014

I have rented from Tom McLaughlin and it was a good experience. Never have had a bad experience from Redweek but be wary of Home Away since I have heard some bad stories from people scamming folks. I have used Home Away and luckily it was also a good experience but it was through a rental agency.

Carol K.
Jun 11, 2014

Be very careful of rental agencies in Florida. I got scammed there but luckily it was caught in time and credit card company refunded my money. The company is continually changing its name so that they can continue to scam. We had to change our credit card because a year later they posted charges to our card under a different name. Always check your charges each month. The rental property itself made good for us and found us a place to stay for same charge because manager was aware this rental agency was falsely booking to their property. Always confirm your reservations with the property itself, that is how we caught the problem in time to reverse charges. In general people are honest but then there are the few that make it hard for others.

Carol K.
Mar 13, 2015

Did you end up renting from Kevin Wiseman I have been corresponding with him in regards to renting a week this upcoming April any feedback would be great.

Amanda G.
Mar 16, 2015

If possible, I would contact the resort and confirm with them the posters acually own at the resort. You don't want to send someone money, show up at the place and find out you've been taken

connies263 wrote:

Ray C.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.